IGNORED

Why do Thais refuse to Learn English?

gambit

This thread needs to be closed. It has wandered way off topic.

No , I don't believe it should.

We are here, debating why Thais Refuse to learn English.

Now that might be by virtue of Cultural Differences, or by virtue of the standard of English Teachers they have.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have I said that Thais shouldn't learn English?  I think they're doing a good enough job as it is  - thanks to teachers like myself :Think1:  I just don't share your view that English is the only factor in development.

To be honest, I don't understand the rest of your post.  Is English your first language?

OK, so they are NOT doing a good enough job, as it is.

By virtue of the latest figures from the WHO, which suggest that Thailand is missing out on Employment Opportunities.

Funny, thought I posted that before.

Oh Well.

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-does-thailand-lowest-english-standard-5961428.html

Excellent question Brewster. I too have problems following BM Taeng Moh's posts. To me he comes across as a would-be intellectual, who just can't quite cut it!  Or should that read, cnut it?

I observe he has failed to answer you question also.

By the way

In the spirit of good and fair debate, you need to come out and actually state WTF you are on about re any Problems you have with my posts. By way of specific points that I may have made.

So I have a good and Fair chance to debate your accusations.

OK, so they are NOT doing a good enough job, as it is.

By virtue of the latest figures from the WHO, which suggest that Thailand is missing out on Employment Opportunities.

Funny, thought I posted that before.

Oh Well.

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-does-thailand-lowest-english-standard-5961428.html

The link you've posted is just a journalist's opinion.  What has the WHO got to do with it?

The thread is going round in circles and the whole premise is incorrect - Thais are not "refusing to learn English".

The link you've posted is just a journalist's opinion.  What has the WHO got to do with it?

The thread is going round in circles and the whole premise is incorrect - Thais are not "refusing to learn English".

No, they're not refusing to learn English. Maybe they just haven't had the right Leadership.

But the conversation on this thread has evolved.

The link I posted is a Journalists' account. I've seen this story on a number of International channels, including Channel News Asia. The fundamentals are the same. Thai jobs are being lost to overseas English Speakers, because of one single fact. Their ability to speak good English.

By the way, your continuous assertions that Thai Folks can speak English well enough for the Tourist Industry does not cut it either.

The Original Thread made no specific references to the Tourist Industry. Surely you weren't brought here to just shore up the Tourist Industry?

And Thai Folks who want to get ahead need to speak a better standard of English, to equip them for a career outside of the Tourist Industry.

Funny, thought I made references to that, too.

No, they're not refusing to learn English. Maybe they just haven't had the right Leadership.

But the conversation on this thread has evolved.

The link I posted is a Journalists' account. I've seen this story on a number of International channels, including Channel News Asia. The fundamentals are the same. Thai jobs are being lost to overseas English Speakers, because of one single fact. Their ability to speak good English.

By the way, your continuous assertions that Thai Folks can speak English well enough for the Tourist Industry does not cut it either.

The Original Thread made no specific references to the Tourist Industry. Surely you weren't brought here to just shore up the Tourist Industry?

And Thai Folks who want to get ahead need to speak a better standard of English, to equip them for a career outside of the Tourist Industry.

Funny, thought I made references to that, too.

Whatever.  I don't accept your premise and I don't understand why you're so vexed by this topic.  Anyway, I have work in the morning, teaching academic writing skills to Thai students intent on doing their Masters degree at British universities.  In all seriousness, many of them write English rather better than you do!

Good night.

The link I posted is a Journalists' account. 

It's stretching things a bit to refer to Cassandra James as a journalist.  She writes things and posts them on the internet.  Just like Stickman.

Whatever.  I don't accept your premise and I don't understand why you're so vexed by this topic.  Anyway, I have work in the morning, teaching academic writing skills to Thai students intent on doing their Masters degree at British universities.  In all seriousness, many of them write English rather better than you do!

Good night.

I am vexed by this topic, just as I am vexed by the busted arse Expats who ply their trade in this part of the World and seem to come to regard themselves as better than they really are. Let them go home and find out exactly who they are. English is not my stock in trade. As I don't use my command of the language to make money. but most Folks seem to get what I'm on about.

Thanks for the debate, I like a good crossing of swords.

Rant! That's good coming from an American, we gave you a perfectly good English language and look how you have fucked that up?  :GoldenSmile1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :GoldenSmile1:

You sound all buggered -relax-  smoke a couple of fags :GoldenSmile1:

I am only teasing you guys, don't be so sensitive :GoldenSmile1:

ok, sorry, I don't like it when folks pick on America, it is done quite often here and not in jest...

cheers mate...

ok, sorry, I don't like it when folks pick on America, it is done quite often here and not in jest...

cheers mate...

Welcome to the other side of Western culture.

It's called "Shit Hanging"

I also have a sense that you Guys don't get sarcasm?

Well, don't worry, it's all good.

Until its' not.

You sound all buggered -relax-  smoke a couple of fags :GoldenSmile1:

I rest my case  :GoldenSmile1:

cheers mate...

Fuck me, if you consider that Pattaya addicts forum is picking on our Septic Tank brethren, I can tell you that we are the least of your problems. Do not worry, we love you even if half the planet considers you as the enemy.  :GoldenSmile1:

Welcome to the other side of Western culture.

It's called "Shit Hanging"

I also have a sense that you Guys don't get sarcasm?

Well, don't worry, it's all good.

Until its' not.

sometimes the stuff said against my country here is not done in jest, so sometimes when it is in jest,  I miss the humor.

one comment that bugs me is that "Americans don't know geography"...  I bet you can find people in ANY country that aren't educated enough in geography to distinguish Thailand from Taiwan... but it is only America that gets tagged...

that's bullshit.  most people I know and interact with in my country are quite well educated and know geography..

some of the guys in the warehouse in my company may not, but all the folks in the offices at desks do, for example.

the subject line of this thread is not true, Thais don't refuse to learn English...  

Fuck me, if you consider that Pattaya addicts forum is picking on our Septic Tank brethren, I can tell you that we are the least of your problems. Do not worry, we love you even if half the planet considers you as the enemy.  :GoldenSmile1:

ya, we love you turds too... brits, shits, turds...  your little rhyming thing is cute...  

watching premier league on tv right now, Swansea City vs Arsenal...  those turds can really run!

:GoldenSmile1:

ya, we love you turds too... brits, shits, turds...  your little rhyming thing is cute...  

watching premier league on tv right now, Swansea City vs Arsenal...  those turds can really run!

:GoldenSmile1:

Good man, now lets not start a fight over what is football and what is soccer. 

sometimes the stuff said against my country here is not done in jest, so sometimes when it is in jest,  I miss the humor.

one comment that bugs me is that "Americans don't know geography"...  I bet you can find people in ANY country that aren't educated enough in geography to distinguish Thailand from Taiwan... but it is only America that gets tagged...

that's bullshit.  most people I know and interact with in my country are quite well educated and know geography..

some of the guys in the warehouse in my company may not, but all the folks in the offices at desks do, for example.

the subject line of this thread is not true, Thais don't refuse to learn English...  

That's true.

But I suppose you need to account for the Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Yes, Thais don't refuse to learn English. 

It is more of a passive thing. Like, saying Australians/ Americans/ English refuse to learn Mandarin.

We don't actively reject it, implying a negative attitude towards it. We just don't apply ourselves to the pursuit of learning it.

Even though it may be beneficial. But unless you can see a direct, immediate reward for your input, then you could be forgiven for thinking What's in it for Me?

Good man, now lets not start a fight over what is football and what is soccer. 

hahahaaha!

love your football, but also love mine!  From Seattle, and our Seahawks are looking pretty formidable after the first three games of the season...

I played your football all through high school as center back, nobody got by me, then played city leagues till I got to fucked up and fat in my early 30's, played wing and center forward, love the game...  best game of them all!

That's true.

But I suppose you need to account for the Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Yes, Thais don't refuse to learn English. 

It is more of a passive thing. Like, saying Australians/ Americans/ English refuse to learn Mandarin.

We don't actively reject it, implying a negative attitude towards it. We just don't apply ourselves to the pursuit of learning it.

Even though it may be beneficial. But unless you can see a direct, immediate reward for your input, then you could be forgiven for thinking What's in it for Me?

yep, envy is an unattractive emotion, eh?  tall poppies indeed.

and many Thais DO learn english... these broad generalizations are not usually accurate.

my opinion is "up to them"!

We are here, debating why Thais Refuse to learn English.

What is the basis for your assertion?  Gut feeling?  Your observation?  Do you have any scientific data to or reputable reference to back up your claim?  Or it that just an OPINION being thrown out?

English is the predominant language used in worldwide business transactions, so it stands to reason that it would be a wise move to learn it.

English is the predominant language used in worldwide business transactions, so it stands to reason that it would be a wise move to learn it.

Predominant in international setting.  I am fairly certain business within China, Japan, Korea, Thailand  (to name a few) are conducted in their native tongue.  I have first hand knowledge of that.

For local firms, it makes no difference.  So the questions is, how many business locally has international flavor?

And really to understand the significant, what % of the GDP is from doing business with a foreign country?

Predominant in international setting.  I am fairly certain business within China, Japan, Korea, Thailand  (to name a few) are conducted in their native tongue.  I have first hand knowledge of that.

For local firms, it makes no difference.  So the questions is, how many business locally has international flavor?

And really to understand the significant, what % of the GDP is from doing business with a foreign country?

1) Bro, you need to develop your punctuation;you are presenting sentence fragments; and your spelling needs improvement.

2) https://www.google.co.th/search?num=100&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=hFo&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=english+international+business+language&oq=english+international+bussiness+language&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i13.375403.390310.0.393315.40.29.0.11.11.0.210.4204.2j26j1.29.0....0...1c.1.27.serp..2.38.3951.qRHcPqYRR3w

#1.  ..... was going to agree to but decided not to just because i can dont know why i am just that way not liking being told what to do.  <-- the the period

#2.  That's what I said right?  "Predominant in international setting".

Archived