Why do Thais refuse to Learn English?

gambit

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ไม่ยอมแพ้

How about I don't

55555!

I have been to Thailand, mostly Pattaya, 4 times in the last year... have learned very little Thai, but intend to learn more...  One problem I have is my hearing is shot, and last trip my goddamned hearing aid died on first day of trip... Very hard to catch the tones and intricacies of the words...  

Even with the hearing aid working it's hard, but without it, forget about it...

Spent a long time with one girl, well, two actually (best trip of my life!!!), but the one asked me how come I not learn Thai...  I was feeling a bit sheepish about that, and want to put a bit more effort in, to show respect...  she speaks great english by the way, something I really appreciate...

Far Canal

It seems we're not going to solve the World's Pompems here tonite.

Oh Well.

I don't think we will either!

I would think the whole world should speak English, not that many Americans can that well, and then all would be happy!

Bloody Thais having the bare face cheek to not learn our language! 5555

Bill

Oh, Fark

It seems like just a page ago we were having a very sensible debate regarding the future of Globalisation.

Well, that's all gone out the window, now hasn't it?

Thanks my friend!!! How you doing???

All's good cheers Daddee, just having a little trouble booking my flights for November(bloody firm trying to charge more after you have booked!) but will all be better by the weekend!

How's you?

Bill

Show Americans a map of the world and 95% aren't even able to find Thailand on it .  

I love their limited English , it's charming .

70% of the world population is Asain ... it's about time Americans gonna learn to speak

Thai , Chinese , Cambodian , ect .

Show Americans a map of the world and 95% aren't even able to find Thailand on it .  

I love their limited English , it's charming .

70% of the world population is Asain ... it's about time Americans gonna learn to speak

Thai , Chinese , Cambodian , ect .

Jerry so unfortunately I can absolutely confirm. A lot of Americans think that the Czech Republic is somewhere in the former Yugoslavia. I was literally horrified by their "knowledge of geography." I understand this is a huge country with their great personal pride (at least they do), but sometimes it would not hurt to look a little more about yourself.

I have nothing against Americans, we understand.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Yes, but you still need a Standard Language.

Forget all the business about where it came from. It's not about one group getting ahead of the other, because if they all speak the same language, then NO group can use linguistics to promote their own self interests.

It is, indeed, unfortunate that Native English Speakers, such as myself, get to ride the wagon and only need to learn one language and, I think, that is to the detriment of every Native English Speaker.

But isn't that the same for whomever you choose?

If you find a "standard language" currently only English is your choice and right. I am unfortunately forced to learn more languages, at least at the basic level, but I would never blame someone, they do not learn a language or can not do well enough. Many people with learning languages ​​in general large problems and Thais in this much I understand. On the other hand, a lot of them already speak Russian well and you would be surprised as well. Solve their personal interests using language seems to me as weak and without personal feeling himself to believe.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

To this day, they have a better standard of living, overall, for the average Citizen, than Hong Kong or anywhere else in SE Asia and, as I say, they did it on their own, after being kicked out of Malaysia, which they soon left behind. There was no hand over.

Surely this has NOTHING to do with the PAP policies of last 48 years or so or the stewardship of LKY.

What an ignorant post from Gambit, I bet many of the Thai people he encounters do speak some English but choose not to due to his bad attitude. I do not speak Thai very well but I have bothered to learn a few words and phrases so that I can be polite and interact with people and so that I can get by if in a restaurant away from tourist areas.

Gambit, reading your post it is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

The standard of english in many tourist spots is reasonable, and many girls working the bars more than likely left school before they turned 13, and the english they would have been taught in their village school would not have been of a high standard...but i am sure that many would accept an offer from you to attend english classes to improve their english skill levels.....that is as long as you are willing to pay for the lessons...and i apologise for any bad grammer or spelling mistakes...i am pissed

English is not that easy to learn actually.  For a Thai the wide range of synonyms, the idiom and the germanic and romance linguistic roots give it no consistency to say nothing of the consonant clusters..........I am amazed at how good their language is.  They speak Central Thai plus their own language and some English.  These are people who have been betrayed by their class system which needs to keep them uneducated.  How many languages do you speak?

Nice one.  I'm generally impressed by the overall standard of English in tourist resorts like Pattaya, Phuket etc. and from girls working in bars in Bangkok.   Thais in general might be better off learning Mandarin anyway.

they are, 4 of the sch i worked in had chinese teachers,

some were even placed by the chinese gov and had studied thai at uni

(wont bother to reply to the op)

Member since Dec 06.

What amazes me is how quickly many bargirls pick up English.

One vacation you might meet a FOB (fresh off the bus) who barely speaks but a few phrases (what you name, where you cum frum, etc.). Six months later, she speaks better English than some immigrants in your home country that have been there for decades.

One girl I barfined a few years ago who spoke english well told me she used to work in a gift shop where she learned how to speak english to customers.

These "farm fresh" and "ignorant" Isan "hicks" can pick up english far better than many foreigners can learn Thai.

While majority of Thai people in Pattaya may not have english fluency, enough people speak the basics in the shops and restaurants so I've never had a problem. Same in Bangkok.

I guess I can wonder myself why I refused to learn Thai. 13 bloody trips and I can't speak a lick of Thai. Bloody embarrassing when I tell girls how many times I cum to Thailand and can't speak it.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

""These "farm fresh" and "ignorant" Isan "hicks" can pick up english far better than many foreigners can learn Thai.""

agree 100%

""13 bloody trips and I can't speak a lick of Thai. Bloody embarrassing when I tell girls how many times I cum to Thailand and can't speak it.""

yes, feel the same after 4 trips...  my girl from last trip asked me why I not learn Thai...  very humbling to be a one language American, and I admire these people very much for what they are able to accomplish and learn.

just downloaded pimsleur lessons yesterday, started listening to first lesson...  very humbling, not sure I can learn thai...  maybe have girl teach me...

5 5 5 ..  English is listed at 4.83% with Mandarin far ahead at 12.44%.  I am surprise Hindi is that low (compare to English or Mandarin)

Archived