IGNORED

Why do Thais refuse to Learn English?

gambit

Where the fuck do you get those stupid figures from, then again I suppose if some survey in America said it it must be true. I suggest you take this thread with a pinch of salt and do not get too sensitive about a small dig at the Yanks because actually you are in the global firing line. :GoldenSmile1:

You are of course right that i need to cite some references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

IMG_2223.JPG

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are of course right that i need to cite some references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

attachicon.gifcountry.jpg

What a load of shite! I now suspect that you got the WMD report from the same plaice. I do not figure this to be a true reflection simply based on a third of the US speaks Spanish, another third is covered by Yidish, Arabic and Polish leaving the final third covering the shit you come out with.  

You must be from California, the east coast of the USA, so how would you know anything about geography? :GoldenSmile1:

Come on mate, he has a point. I have just come back from Huntsville Alabama and they thought Iran was below Mexico 

Mr. Sexyfarangman,

I am usually the first to defend any dig at American, but on this one I am keeping quiet as there's some truth in it.  That said, why you think we put up GPS before anyone else does? :-)  Come on, who needs to learn geography when you've got GPS?  We'll plug in the coordinates, and the bomb (or google car, American product) will find its way. :-)

I've thrown out my Thomas guide (map) long ago.  Our European friends are creaming their geography because that's needed (at least until they put up their own GPS). :-)))))

Interestingly enough, while a good number of American's knowledge on geography is somewhat lacking, we as a country can usually find our way around, even to the mars and land something on it. :-)  So I don't feel too bad.

Mr. Sexyfarangman,

I am usually the first to defend any dig at American, but on this one I am keeping quiet as there's some truth in it.  That said, why you think we put up GPS before anyone else does? :-)  Come on, who needs to learn geography when you've got GPS?  We'll plug in the coordinates, and the bomb (or google car, American product) will find its way. :-)

I've thrown out my Thomas guide (map) long ago.  Our European friends are creaming their geography because that's needed (at least until they put up their own GPS). :-)))))

Interestingly enough, while a good number of American's knowledge on geography is somewhat lacking, we as a country can usually find our way around, even to the mars and land something on it. :-)  So I don't feel too bad.

You had to go to Mars, they are the only fuckers that will talk to you 

Singapore and Hong Kong were English colonies, so it's hardly surprising that the level of English is higher.  Thailand's doing OK, and as I said earlier in the thread, more tourists are arriving from China and other Asian countries these days, so if anything English is probably declining in importance, particularly for tourism.

Hopefully, I'll still in be in a job though.

What about ASEAN?  Do you think that the implementation of the ASEAN agreement (making English the language of business between South East Asian Nations) cause an increase in Thai's needing to speak English fluently?

What a load of shite! I now suspect that you got the WMD report from the same plaice. I do not figure this to be a true reflection simply based on a third of the US speaks Spanish, another third is covered by Yidish, Arabic and Polish leaving the final third covering the shit you come out with.  

Wow wow.. easy there with the insult.  And I thought you were telling me to "take the thread with a grain of salt", no? Ok.

How about the census data then?

IMG_2221.JPG

230 million then compare to 63 million?

And of course citing my reference:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-22.pdf

Do you care to cite YOUR reference for the 33% of US speaks Spanish (assuming no English) and 33% speaks Yidish (and no English)?

Even going by your number, that's still about 100M (33% of 316M).

SO. 100M vs. 63M, yeah?

My stat or your stata (unreferenced) still shows MORE speaks American English then British English. 

And as said before, using evolution principal.........

I don't know friend, it doesn't matter how you slice it or dice it.  My stat or yours.  The conclusion is the same.

You had to go to Mars, they are the only fuckers that will talk to you 

We didn't find anyone living there.  But if you don't believe us, you can try going there yourself. :-)

Wow wow.. easy there with the insult.  And I thought you were telling me to "take the thread with a grain of salt", no? Ok.

How about the census data then?

attachicon.gifcountry.jpg

230 million then compare to 63 million?

And of course citing my reference:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-22.pdf

Do you care to cite YOUR reference for the 33% of US speaks Spanish (assuming no English) and 33% speaks Yidish (and no English)?

Even going by your number, that's still about 100M (33% of 316M).

SO. 100M vs. 63M, yeah?

My stat or your stata (unreferenced) still shows MORE speaks American English then British English. 

And as said before, using evolution principal.........

I don't know friend, it doesn't matter how you slice it or dice it.  My stat or yours.  The conclusion is the same.

We didn't find anyone living there.  But if you don't believe us, you can try going there yourself. :-)

Sorry, did not want to appear insulting, i suspect it is the English tone :GoldenSmile1:

I still think you are talking total shite, Wiafuckingpidia. How do you define American English to English English. English is spoken by more people that any other language in the world. It is English, not American English. You fuckers are not old enough to have your own language, I have a tree in my garden older than the USA. 

Sorry, did not want to appear insulting, i suspect it is the English tone :GoldenSmile1:

I still think you are talking total shite, Wiafuckingpidia. How do you define American English to English English. English is spoken by more people that any other language in the world. It is English, not American English. You fuckers are not old enough to have your own language, I have a tree in my garden older than the USA. 

I did say we "improve it" and NOT invented it.  I never said in this entire thread that we invented English.  What I did say is we improved British English into American English.

And you did say, and I quote, "we gave you a perfectly good English language and look how you have fucked that up".  Reference:  Post #24

I am simply using "British English" to denote the version you gave us (per your quote), and "American English" to denote the version we improved upon.  So as to not lump your version with the version that you considered "fucked up" together out of respect for you and also not taking your credit and all.  You understand.

:-)

The idea that English should be taught or spoken by Thais is looked upon as an insult to the vast brainwashed majority here in Thailand.  This is directly connected to their thinking that they've never been controlled by outsiders. They've never had another country like the surrounding countries Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Vietnam have..albeit for the betterment of those countries.  There's no other colonial influence here and for some narrow minded view are very proud of that fact.  However, if it was for Allied Western troops during WW11 they'd be speaking Japanese.

Most Thais are not taught this or are aware that it was that close.

I read recently that they are actually 43rd on a survey of 44 countries that  are proficient in the international language..I think Libya was last.

When ASEAN Community Region opens up in a year or so, they're going to have to catch up quick or miss out with this attitude.

Great spray. Too bad it isn't true.

http://thaiedueng577.wordpress.com/curriculum-in-thailand/

http://www.geocities.com/lesliebarclay/curriculum.html

I did say we "improve it" and NOT invented it.  I never said in this entire thread that we invented English.

And you did say, and I quote, "we gave you a perfectly good English language and look how you have fucked that up". 

I am simply using "British English" to denote the version you gave us, and "American English" to denote the version we improved upon.  So as to not lump your version with the version that you considered "fucked up" together out of respect for you and also not taking your credit and all.  You understand.

:-)

Oh Dear!

I do not think I will ever make my point simply because you are after all American. Based on the fact that even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut I will try to mitigate my suggestion that your data is not valid in regards to American English being an impovement. I do visit and work in the US and see a clear dialect change from New York to LA. This is also apparent in England when dealing with dialect from the North to the South. Irrespective of the dialect it all derives for what some would describe as Queens English which in itself was a mishmash of Germanic and French. So what I am saying is America to some degree speak English in a funny way, hence the comment: "we gave you a perfectly good English language and look how you have fucked that up" So we now agree that there is no such thing as American English just Americans that speak English in funny ways?  

So what I am saying is America to some degree speak English in a funny way, hence the comment: "we gave you a perfectly good English language and look how you have fucked that up" So we now agree that there is no such thing as American English just Americans that speak English in funny ways?  

Gz, why didn't you just say so!?  Yes. :-)  We speak funny. :-)  With so many immigrants, we have many version of English and each is funny in its own way. :-)  Just like us California finds NY or Boston accent funny. :-)

never mind, carry on being a typical brit.

maybe(?)

if the Thai goverment would pay.. the working/foreign English teacher

a little more in salary ... it could/would attract more professionnel teachers

then just the ones they have now around

never mind, carry on being a typical brit.

I am only teasing you guys, don't be so sensitive :GoldenSmile1:

Come on mate, he has a point. I have just come back from Huntsville Alabama and they thought Iran was below Mexico 

It is below Mexico in the sense of standard of living and sanity of its leaders. :GoldenSmile1:

OK, so we still need to settle on a Standard.

I would have thought that would be English.

The Queens English.

The rest of us Colonials will cope, don't you think?

But if you really want to piss the Pommies off, just tell them that they were originally - German.

True.

So, in moving forward, America, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa would have to pull their heads in?

In order to get on the same page and present a standard Business Language?

What about ASEAN?  Do you think that the implementation of the ASEAN agreement (making English the language of business between South East Asian Nations) cause an increase in Thai's needing to speak English fluently?

For business, yes; but I doubt ASEAN will have much effect on Thailand's tourist industry.

Mr. Sexyfarangman,

I always thought that the basic knowledge of geography is one of the basic education even without a GPS system. :GoldenSmile1: I think it is not about how to help with technical innovations, but also about knowing something about communicating with whom and whom I have before me.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

For business, yes; but I doubt ASEAN will have much effect on Thailand's tourist industry.

OK, so it would seem that you don't recognise the need for Self Development?

Which is why you are here in the first place?

Believe it or not, the reason Native English Teachers are given jobs in LOS is actually to help the Local People Progress in their Development.

OK, so that comes with a number of Perks, by virtue of gaining Local Knowledge.

Now lets not sit on our Good Arses and forget why we're here, eh?

Otherwise, when you bring your good arse to places like Nana Plaza, you might be tempted to put the perceived Newbies through a bunch of self Perceived hoops.

Though, on the Global Scale, you are next step up from Hobo. Really?

Sorry , please feel free to debate me on this Forum

OK, so it would seem that you don't recognise the need for Self Development?

Which is why you are here in the first place?

Believe it or not, the reason Native English Teachers are given jobs in LOS is actually to help the Local People Progress in their Development.

OK, so that comes with a number of Perks, by virtue of gaining Local Knowledge.

Now lets not sit on our Good Arses and forget why we're here, eh?

Otherwise, when you bring your good arse to places like Nana Plaza, you might be tempted to put the perceived Newbies through a bunch of self Perceived hoops.

Though, on the Global Scale, you are next step up from Hobo. Really?

Sorry , please feel free to debate me on this Forum

Have I said that Thais shouldn't learn English?  I think they're doing a good enough job as it is  - thanks to teachers like myself :Think1:  I just don't share your view that English is the only factor in development.

To be honest, I don't understand the rest of your post.  Is English your first language?

Have I said that Thais shouldn't learn English?  I think they're doing a good enough job as it is  - thanks to teachers like myself :Think1:  I just don't share your view that English is the only factor in development.

To be honest, I don't understand the rest of your post.  Is English your first language?

Is it yours?

Excellent question Brewster. I too have problems following BM Taeng Moh's posts. To me he comes across as a would-be intellectual, who just can't quite cut it!  Or should that read, cnut it?

I observe he has failed to answer you question also.

Is it yours?

Yes it is.

Excellent question Brewster. I too have problems following BM Taeng Moh's posts. To me he comes across as a would-be intellectual, who just can't quite cut it!  Or should that read, cnut it?

I'm glad it's not just me!

Yes, Australian/ English is my first Language.

So I think the feed may be found in the preceding pages of the thread.

By the way - That's "Your Question" John 2028.

This thread needs to be closed. It has wandered way off topic.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

Archived