Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

On 9/19/2018 at 09:03, wash747 said:

I’m currently in AA’s 77W business seat from HKG-LaX. Had to buy WiFi to keep myself sane coz pattaya blues really hit me hard especially met one of best girls ever from my 20ish trips. Even I’m coming back 5 weeks later, it sure feel like a year away! 

Thanks to typhoon mangkut, I was able to extend my stay by 2 days. Important thing is checking AA alert (or your Airlines website) on weather situation so you could get lucky and extend your pattaya trip. Thought a tip I should share. 

Knock on wood--I've never experienced a weather delay, but this sounds like a pleasant one.  Good luck with the blues. I figured a battle-tested pro with 20 trips would have been immune, but I suppose it catches us all from time to time.

I'm starting to think AA/CX/BA are playing games with availability. CX cabin is wide open for my targeted March trip according to KVS and when setting up mock revenue ticket, but no AA award space. BA showing PE, but no J or F. AA not even showing that PE when calling. Something is up. 

AA don’t have award chart for PE yet despite plenty of OW carriers have PE for years!  However, I prefer AA to not introduce PE award chart anytime soon because it’ll give them an excuse to jack up J award. 70k is good value for USA to Asia 2.. 110k for F is little too steep especially if you flew F few times before so I know what experience is and J will do for me.

yeah; today is new day.. pattaya blues is fading and reality is kick in that I’m coming back next month. Just go gym, and be productive back at home is key 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wash747 said:

AA don’t have award chart for PE yet despite plenty of OW carriers have PE for years!  However, I prefer AA to not introduce PE award chart anytime soon because it’ll give them an excuse to jack up J award. 70k is good value for USA to Asia 2.. 110k for F is little too steep especially if you flew F few times before so I know what experience is and J will do for me.

yeah; today is new day.. pattaya blues is fading and reality is kick in that I’m coming back next month. Just go gym, and be productive back at home is key 

Ha! I should have known that about AA/PE seeing as though I look at their chart once a week. I just assumed it was there but I didn't notice it, since I thought they were going to add it once AA added their own PE line. 

4 hours ago, wash747 said:

3 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Ha! I should have known that about AA/PE seeing as though I look at their chart once a week. I just assumed it was there but I didn't notice it, since I thought they were going to add it once AA added their own PE line. 

Lack of PE award has irritated me for quite a while.

Isn't AA adding PE on its international routes?  If so, maybe award availability is to follow?

19 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Lack of PE award has irritated me for quite a while.

Isn't AA adding PE on its international routes?  If so, maybe award availability is to follow?

It supposedly is a thing already, which is part of my confusion:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/premium-economy.jsp

Had to call AA 6 times last night with the same Qatar itinerary just to get it booked. I got all sorts of BS from "no availability" to "they're blocking AA right now" before I finally got someone who had zero issues booking it right away. I'm telling you, AA is playing games when it comes to reward redemption. They seriously do not want you using miles. I also wonder whether or not call center reps have some sort of quota or limit to the amount of award seats they can issue before being somehow penalized for it. 

Forgot to add that AA considers this route through Doha two separate awards despite having the same origin and destination as the CX route, so the total was 40k + 70k for business class.  I (foolishly) booked it for a last resort, but hope CX seats open up before then so I can swap out for just a 70k trip.

Edited by Little Evil

It seems that CX isn't releasing the HKG-BKK leg to their partners. The hardest part of booking an award on them using AA or AS miles used to be the leg from the States to HKG. And HKG-BKK would have several choices. I've been playing with some dates in April and May and that leg is mostly non-existent, with the exception of a late RJ flight.

CX seems to have loaded their upcoming SEA-HKG route (no F cabin though).

12 minutes ago, skink said:

It seems that CX isn't releasing the HKG-BKK leg to their partners. The hardest part of booking an award on them using AA or AS miles used to be the leg from the States to HKG. And HKG-BKK would have several choices. I've been playing with some dates in April and May and that leg is mostly non-existent, with the exception of a late RJ flight.

CX seems to have loaded their upcoming SEA-HKG route (no F cabin though).

I would like to agree with you, but it is almost like CX isn't releasing anything these days, particularly to AA. 

I've actually found KVS (using CX method) legs available on Asia Miles, but not BA/AA. Seems like they are treating one of their own programs with priority, which kind of makes sense, but isn't exactly an "alliance" move. I'll still hoping for a last minute re-ticketing to CX on my Mar return, or I'm spending 110k on a J trip that should cost only 70k. The only upshot to that is experiencing Qatar--a first for me.

I would like to agree with you, but it is almost like CX isn't releasing anything these days, particularly to AA. 

I've actually found KVS (using CX method) legs available on Asia Miles, but not BA/AA. Seems like they are treating one of their own programs with priority, which kind of makes sense, but isn't exactly an "alliance" move. I'll still hoping for a last minute re-ticketing to CX on my Mar return, or I'm spending 110k on a J trip that should cost only 70k. The only upshot to that is experiencing Qatar--a first for me.

I'm finding JFK/EWR/ORD/LAX TO HKG for the dates I'd want (although I haven't called AS to verify...they tend to have less availability than AA), but that HKG-BKK isn't showing up at all.

Are you flying Qatar to BKK or UTP? I almost booked them to UTP before (figured I'd spend the night in Ban Chang) and noticed just in time that for my dates they were using an A319LR.

9 hours ago, skink said:

I'm finding JFK/EWR/ORD/LAX TO HKG for the dates I'd want (although I haven't called AS to verify...they tend to have less availability than AA), but that HKG-BKK isn't showing up at all.

Are you flying Qatar to BKK or UTP? I almost booked them to UTP before (figured I'd spend the night in Ban Chang) and noticed just in time that for my dates they were using an A319LR.

What method are you using to find the availability? On my end, it wasn't so much that I couldn't find the seats. It's that CX wasn't allowing them to be booked via AA or BA. I think the seats I was finding for March were all for Marco Polo and Asia Miles. 

HKG to BKK is often cheap enough that I would consider cash on those if that leg wasn't open. Also worth mentioning that for some reason, some search programs can be fooled by searching just a let at a time. I've also noticed that the short leg seemed to open up at times when searching alternate routes. For instance, BOS-HKG-BKK wasn't showing a short leg once, but I then search EWR-HKG-BKK and that exact same short leg (same date, time, and flight number) showed open. 

I'm actually going to be flying home on Qatar from BKK. I'm still hoping I can get out of that itinerary though because of the 110k J price and a brutal 7hr layover in Doha. I'm not sure how up for an excursion I'll be on the way back, but 7 hours is a nightmare to stay at the airport. There is an in-airport hotel, but it is typically $350. That would be an expensive layover. 

What method are you using to find the availability? On my end, it wasn't so much that I couldn't find the seats. It's that CX wasn't allowing them to be booked via AA or BA. I think the seats I was finding for March were all for Marco Polo and Asia Miles. 

Trying to use AA or AS miles and searching on BA, and even double checking on Qantas. I was able to find some with Asia Miles but I don't have nearly as many miles with them. 

HKG to BKK is often cheap enough that I would consider cash on those if that leg wasn't open. Also worth mentioning that for some reason, some search programs can be fooled by searching just a let at a time. I've also noticed that the short leg seemed to open up at times when searching alternate routes. For instance, BOS-HKG-BKK wasn't showing a short leg once, but I then search EWR-HKG-BKK and that exact same short leg (same date, time, and flight number) showed open. 

Thanks. I'll try searching for some alternate routes and see if that last leg show up.

I'm actually going to be flying home on Qatar from BKK. I'm still hoping I can get out of that itinerary though because of the 110k J price and a brutal 7hr layover in Doha. I'm not sure how up for an excursion I'll be on the way back, but 7 hours is a nightmare to stay at the airport. There is an in-airport hotel, but it is typically $350. That would be an expensive layover. 

There are some hotels near Doha airport for around $50. Qatar Airways had some tours if your layover was over 5 hours, but like you I wasn't sure if I would be up for that.

• Like 1

The problem from BKK and HK is that CP is scheduling a NOK sized plane instead of a 777 or larger.   They are expecting it to be filled with cash passengers.   They probably won't open up seats unless they switch to a larger plane.   Last year they stayed with the smaller plane which is a bad sign.

Someone please explain to me why CP is cutting back?  Is there a recession going on or is this a sign that CP can't afford big aircraft for short routes outside of a recession?

It looks like CX is flying a widebody (an A330) about 10 times a day from HKG-BKK. I'd been focusing on getting to BKK originally, and wasn't finding anything HKG-BKK. However, I'm finding award availability with CX on the BKK-HKG return. Might be stuck with the late night arrival on RJ if nothing opens up.

On 9/28/2018 at 21:56, skink said:

It looks like CX is flying a widebody (an A330) about 10 times a day from HKG-BKK. I'd been focusing on getting to BKK originally, and wasn't finding anything HKG-BKK. However, I'm finding award availability with CX on the BKK-HKG return. Might be stuck with the late night arrival on RJ if nothing opens up.

what date and time period?

what date and time period?
Just look it up on Cathay's website.

The smallest plane Cathay flies is an A330. Depending on the date they fly the A330, an A350, or a 777.

Cathay doesnt fly anything bigger than 777 any more

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On 9/28/2018 at 22:56, skink said:

About 75% of my BKK-HKG and HKG-BKK flights have been on an A330. I have also been on this route with an A350 and even one of the last 747's. The 747's were fantastic, as if you had an F ticket, you'd get an actual F seat and not the regional J. 

4 hours ago, Little Evil said:

About 75% of my BKK-HKG and HKG-BKK flights have been on an A330. I have also been on this route with an A350 and even one of the last 747's. The 747's were fantastic, as if you had an F ticket, you'd get an actual F seat and not the regional J. 

I think I only flew their 747 on that route one time. I selected it many times (often for a less favorable connection time) only to have them swap equipment.

I think I only flew their 747 on that route one time. I selected it many times (often for a less favorable connection time) only to have them swap equipment.
All their passenger 747's have been retired

9 minutes ago, basket case said:

All their passenger 747's have been retired

Yeah, that's a shame, but understandable given CX never did upgrade to the more efficient 747-800. I think I was on one of the last months they were still active. Nothing like flying in the nose of a 747. 

52 minutes ago, skink said:

My one trip on CX's 747 was a surprise swap-in. Wasn't expecting their F seat, even though I was technically on an F itinerary. I think they were just moving it from BKK to HKG and I got lucky. I've also done regionals on Thai's 747 to Phuket. Got to be seated upstairs too. One of the strangest seat plans I've ever seen. Part of the J cabin below was divided the long way, so the right side by the windows was actually a galley with no seats. Had KE 747 in F too, but that was somewhat an uninspiring use of space. Why the hell do all the super jumbo users put the bar all the way in the back of the plane? I"m going to miss 747 and A380's when they all finally give way to 777X/787X and A350's. 

Yeah, I'm going to have to get lucky if I ever manage to fly on a B747-800. B747 is still my favorite. My first experience was first class from DFW to HNL. Seats were nothing special compared to what we get today, but I loved the upstairs lounge. Here's a seat map link. I also used to like flying upstairs on NWA's B747-200 with only 12 seats. Ah, the Queen of the Skies.

In other news, got a new credit card today. Best I could find that I was eligible for was United Explorer. 50K sign-up, annual fee waived first year.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to get lucky if I ever manage to fly on a B747-800. B747 is still my favorite. My first experience was first class from DFW to HNL. Seats were nothing special compared to what we get today, but I loved the upstairs lounge. Here's a seat map link. I also used to like flying upstairs on NWA's B747-200 with only 12 seats. Ah, the Queen of the Skies.

In other news, got a new credit card today. Best I could find that I was eligible for was United Explorer. 50K sign-up, annual fee waived first year.

That's an awesome map! Man, that was a different time. The entire upper deck was a lounge? Smoking up there too I bet. "Dining in the sky" with a 4 seater table is also a novelty that you'll never see again.  Still, I think I'll take my modern lie-flat seat instead of a lounge. 

15 hours ago, Little Evil said:

I've given up trying to predict what kind of plane I will be on between BKK - HKG regardless of direction.

18 hours ago, Short said:

I've given up trying to predict what kind of plane I will be on between BKK - HKG regardless of direction.

I’m scheduled to catch A330 (in J section) at 12 pm from HKG to BKK. Anyone here know if CX allow standby to earlier flight (I’ll bring carryon with me) on award ticket ? CX on Twitter say I can as long there is available J seat. Hoping to catch 855 AM flight to BKK 3 weeks later coz it’s a350-1000 bird and of course, 2-3 hour earlier is better but it’s all depend on AA’s LAX-HKG flight first 555

anyone notice nice KLM deal ORD-BKK business for $2400 (you can route to Detroit to enjoy new delta a350 & D1 suite but long layover in Amsterdam). Qatar got nice deal out of lax and ord but I’m booked till July 2019. Need wait till Dec or Jan to book my annual mid-Oct to early Nov 2019 trip. 

Just flew United BOS-EWR in coach. Did they recently make the seat pitch smaller, or is that my imagination? It felt like the seatback screen was inches from my face. Only an hour long flight, but I couldn't wait to get off. 

Only reason I bring it up is that while waiting in BOS, I recalled something FPJM once mentioned about Priority Pass restaurants. Sure enough, the Stephanie's in Terminal B is part of the program. $28 credit. Got breakfast and an absurdly expensive screwdriver for $34 and only had to pay $6. Good call on that one.