IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

On 9/9/2018 at 02:20, scorpio said:

Has anyone here used Worldwidemilesclub.com. I was quoted $1367 US for a round trip business class ticket from LAX to MNL. I just don't know if I can trust them or not. Yes it is one of those sites that uses other peoples miles to get you a award ticket. Thanks for any input.

Never heard of that company. Almost looks like they're acting as middle man broker between those with spare points who want to liquidate for cash and those who need airfare. I could be wrong though. Just be careful, in that most FF programs discourage this type of third party dealings. I read a horror story on Flyertalk about someone getting their Amex account revoked when caught selling points, thus forfeiting several hundred thousand points in the process. You might want to do a little research on this company name on FF forums, just to make sure they're legit and safe. 

New Chase Sapphire banking product with up to 60k bonus URs. Must transfer in $75k to qualify, but that can be investments made through their platform. Existing Chase banking clients would also have to bring in the new $75k. Side perks are no operating fees if you keep $75k+, no foreign ATM fees (on their side), reimbursement from non-network ATM fees state side, and $0 trades/ETF's. Points hit after 45 days. 

Could be easy points if one has the assets to move and are OK with Chase as a bank. I don't have the option in Boston, but it did make me raise an eyebrow. Not sure if that's enough to jump ship from BoA. Not that I love BoA or anything, but that's a bit of a hassle to split banking, even if for only a couple months. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sapphire-banking-bonus/

Edited by Little Evil

^^^ That sounds doable for me. Thanks for the heads up. Funny, I’m in Boston now and I’ve already remarked how it seems strange that there’s not a Chase bank in sight. It’s distinctly noticeable to me since back home they’re everywhere.

3 hours ago, bgtp said:

^^^ That sounds doable for me. Thanks for the heads up. Funny, I’m in Boston now and I’ve already remarked how it seems strange that there’s not a Chase bank in sight. It’s distinctly noticeable to me since back home they’re everywhere.

Yeah, it's kind of weird with the lack of Chase in Bean Town. No branches at all, and the only Chase branded ATM machine I've ever seen here was in Logan Airport. I tried signing up for their checking account a few years back and was met with "not available in your area" on the website. Very odd considering much of banking is straight digital these days. In fact, if it wasn't for my trips to Patts, I could probably go the entire year without actually touching paper money. 

My interest was because of a similar promotion a while back. They also do mortgage UR's from time to time too, up to 100k per loan.

Trying to find a OW Biz class to LAX from BKK on Thanksgiving via OneWorld,  and of course AA is playing their normal raise award ticket prices for Holidays..  I would even take an economy seat.   But award space on CX and JL Biz or Eco has been non existent.  Been checking every day for months via KVS tool and BA website.

I leave LAX on 11/14 so may have to change plans if cannot find ticket.  I have time.  Just annoying 

8 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Trying to find a OW Biz class to LAX from BKK on Thanksgiving via OneWorld,  and of course AA is playing their normal raise award ticket prices for Holidays..  I would even take an economy seat.   But award space on CX and JL Biz or Eco has been non existent.  Been checking every day for months via KVS tool and BA website.

I leave LAX on 11/14 so may have to change plans if cannot find ticket.  I have time.  Just annoying 

First off, your user name makes me crack up every time I see it. Have you been accused, or did you just hear that in passing? I can hear a TG saying that in my mind. 

I've been having the same difficulties, but for March 2019. KVS shows availability, but AA denies it. I was fuming, but realized that KVS using CX might only be showing Asia Miles/Marco Polo availability. That being said, BA still shows QR seats that aren't showing up on AA.  AA has recently been showing QR and CX availability, but I read recently that this is more of a crap shoot. still might need to call of those airlines. So, that leave us with seeing ghost availability on KVS that may or may not be available on AA. 

Another potential option that I've seen kind of work is to search legs only. For instance, I couldn't find BKK-HKG-BOS, but I did find HKG-BOS. I just have a feeling AA is blocking award space. Really pissing me off, as I'm flush with AA miles, but they are kind of useless now. 

25 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Are you able to fly out of San Diego? I've seen the JL SAN-NRT have award space when LAX didn't in the past. However, last I heard they were still using an old angle-flat biz seat on that route.

8 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

First off, your user name makes me crack up every time I see it. Have you been accused, or did you just hear that in passing? I can hear a TG saying that in my mind. 

I've been having the same difficulties, but for March 2019. KVS shows availability, but AA denies it. I was fuming, but realized that KVS using CX might only be showing Asia Miles/Marco Polo availability. That being said, BA still shows QR seats that aren't showing up on AA.  AA has recently been showing QR and CX availability, but I read recently that this is more of a crap shoot. still might need to call of those airlines. So, that leave us with seeing ghost availability on KVS that may or may not be available on AA. 

Another potential option that I've seen kind of work is to search legs only. For instance, I couldn't find BKK-HKG-BOS, but I did find HKG-BOS. I just have a feeling AA is blocking award space. Really pissing me off, as I'm flush with AA miles, but they are kind of useless now. 

Ahh my username..  one of my 1st trips to Thailand a girl accused me of being bad man, and told her friend " him bad man"   and I keep replaying  what she said in my head in that in that thai accent,  and it cracks me up....     

Yeah AA is definately skimping out on Awards.  And CX has been pretty non existent the last few months since they changed their program.   Makes using AA miles hard.. 

But besides Alaska miles AA best value right?  70K one way to LAX to BKK.  Star alliances charged 90K, I have about 300 UR points,  Singapare is around 90K too..   So AA with my 10% rebate with AA Citi card puts me at 63K. Nothing else comes close.

Last Nov I did KOrean 1st and was underwhelmed ..  but that's not even a UR option..   getting tough out here for us mileage mongers 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skink said:

Are you able to fly out of San Diego? I've seen the JL SAN-NRT have award space when LAX didn't in the past. However, last I heard they were still using an old angle-flat biz seat on that route.

Yes JL flies their terrible 787 biz class product on that route.   Heard seats were miserable so I avoid 

4 minutes ago, skink said:

Plus I love to fly out LAX via HKIA. As an oneworld emerald I get 1st class lounges and the two CX 1st class lounges in HK are amazing.  Nothing is better IMO then landing I. Hk after a 15 hour flight,  going to the wing lounge, get a glass of Moet Rose and go to the Cabana suite and take a long hot shower..   then walk to the pier to get dinner and a massage before my flight to BKK.   Ahhhh the life 

10 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

JL website show one Economy award seat available at 35k miles on 11/22/18 from BKK-NRT-LAX (Tight 1hr connection at NRT, but appears legal since this is showing on JL website).  This is search done on 9/15/18 at 7:36am EST.  No biz seats available, and no economy seat after 11/22/18.  I use JL website to check their award space availability, then call AA and book my award ticket using AA miles.

image.png.f59f60792a8e0d690f8e9077ec712053.png

Edited by joeaf

10 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

Plus I love to fly out LAX via HKIA. As an oneworld emerald I get 1st class lounges and the two CX 1st class lounges in HK are amazing.  Nothing is better IMO then landing I. Hk after a 15 hour flight,  going to the wing lounge, get a glass of Moet Rose and go to the Cabana suite and take a long hot shower..   then walk to the pier to get dinner and a massage before my flight to BKK.   Ahhhh the life 

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this. Well done! This is why your my brother from another mother(BFAM)....555

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

5 hours ago, JustL said:

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this. Well done! This is why your my brother from another mother(BFAM)....555

Living that life....  555

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:29, bouncewithme said:

I dont know anything about them, but curious, what airlines are the tickets on?

China Eastern

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 19:09, HimBadMan said:

Ahh my username..  one of my 1st trips to Thailand a girl accused me of being bad man, and told her friend " him bad man"   and I keep replaying  what she said in my head in that in that thai accent,  and it cracks me up....     

So what did you do that caused her to say that, if you don't mind sharing? 

On that topic, if Thai BGs could be criticized from one's 1st trips, it might be that they are a bit TOO sharing of certain, shall we say "conditions", if you get my drift. With the passage of time, nothing seems to have changed much. Let the buyer beware. ;)

8 hours ago, CyberPro said:

So what did you do that caused her to say that, if you don't mind sharing? 

On that topic, if Thai BGs could be criticized from one's 1st trips, it might be that they are a bit TOO sharing of certain, shall we say "conditions", if you get my drift. With the passage of time, nothing seems to have changed much. Let the buyer beware. ;)

My 1st trip really did not understand the term butterfly and benefits or proper procedure of telling TGs that I'm butterfly.. which led to a misunderstand about my intentions with the ladies.     Lesson learned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2018 at 22:09, HimBadMan said:

Yeah AA is definately skimping out on Awards.  And CX has been pretty non existent the last few months since they changed their program.   Makes using AA miles hard.. 

But besides Alaska miles AA best value right?  70K one way to LAX to BKK.  Star alliances charged 90K, I have about 300 UR points,  Singapare is around 90K too..   So AA with my 10% rebate with AA Citi card puts me at 63K. Nothing else comes close.

Last Nov I did KOrean 1st and was underwhelmed ..  but that's not even a UR option..   getting tough out here for us mileage mongers 

lol. That girl was probably into you and got a vibe that it was going to be a longer-time thing. Being a butterfly is kind of the expectation for most TGs, so she definitely read the cards wrong. I can't get over how clearly I can replay that phrase in a TG voice in my head when I read it. 

What were you saying about CX changing their program? I must have missed that bit of news. That puts a significant dent in my current award strategy (CX via AA or AS).

Korean 1st is decent, but as you mentioned, just not mind blowing. The seat was ok. The meal was good and the service was good, but it was just missing something to really make it shine. I enjoyed it as a deviation from my typically CX trip, but I have a feeling that the one-off experience aside, I would have thought it very  average. Their lounges suck too. 

On 9/14/2018 at 22:15, HimBadMan said:

CX lounges in HKG are fantastic. I don't know why, but it never occurred to me before to select the best parts of each one and only do those things in each lounge. That's maximizing the experience! Last trip I was in the one near gates 1-4 (Wing?) at about 6:30am. I drank the remainder of a bottle of Rose before showering. I was the only one in the champagne area and I suppose it was the crack of dawn (felt like 6pm to me). I don't know if it was the time of day or not, but they don't seem to proactively offer caviar in that champagne area anymore. It used to be a knee-jerk response to anyone sitting down over there. 

For you experienced Business/First Class flyers from the U.S., could you rank 1-5 your preferred airlines to Thailand? And maybe the type of jet?

Seems the type of jet matters as well regarding the seats and seat layout.

Just looking for a little help on which airline to target re: points, etc.

Many thanks - great thread!

5 minutes ago, Whooah said:

For you experienced Business/First Class flyers from the U.S., could you rank 1-5 your preferred airlines to Thailand? And maybe the type of jet?

Seems the type of jet matters as well regarding the seats and seat layout.

Just looking for a little help on which airline to target re: points, etc.

Many thanks - great thread!

While I'm sure every guy here could list their top 5 rather easily, you really want to gauge your options based off your specific route as opposed to airline first. I'd sooner take less legs than go out of my way to get a particular airline/airplane. Most Asian carriers are tied to US hubs. Thai to LAX. Singapore does a few like EWR, LAX, SFO, etc. So on for the rest. I think you'd get a much better answer if we knew your region or desired airport for departure.  

Thanks, Little Evil.

I am in Nashville area so I have to fly to some hub to then leave so I’m pretty open to flying out of any hub.

Easiest is ORD or DFW but we have direct flights to many cities from here so I was focusing on best flights from US to Thailand.

Appreciate the feedback and help.

15 minutes ago, Whooah said:

....I am in Nashville area so I have to fly to some hub to then leave so I’m pretty open to flying out of any hub.... 

Since you are towards the East Coast another option is flying east. If you are able to be flexible with your departure (and wait to book until 15 days out or less when Lufthansa releases award space to partners) then connecting thru Frankfurt might be a good one to try. LH's first class terminal lounge at FRA is one of my favorite. They fly from ATL, BOS, ORD, DFW, IAH, MIA, MCO, PHL, TPA and then have a direct to BKK. 

I usually find the times work better for me to return from BKK over the Pacific. 

I don't know if this is of any interest to anybody, but SIA are offering some good redemption deals on their long-long-range flights to US.. http://m.email.singaporeair.com//nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40P6CxXiODmpt8xmSuL9KCqjC3nZv3xpvqlXk2MLyCTJg%3D

They're also offering 30% of regional flights in October so have just secured Business Class SIN-BKK return for 28,000miles + s$81.20 :) 

46 minutes ago, Whooah said:

Thanks, Little Evil.

I am in Nashville area so I have to fly to some hub to then leave so I’m pretty open to flying out of any hub.

Easiest is ORD or DFW but we have direct flights to many cities from here so I was focusing on best flights from US to Thailand.

Appreciate the feedback and help.

Nashville is a little tricky, and unfortunately the only 2 leg flight would be BA out of BNA, then onward to BKK. BA isn't in my top 10, but I'd still consider them for the 2 leg award trip if not for their high fuel surcharges on award. 

If a short positioning flight to ORD and DFW are in the cards (or IAH would be great too), then you have a much better selection.

ORD offers Cathay, ANA, JAL, Korean, Asiana, and Air China (my personal preference in that order). I'm pretty sure DFW and IAH offer the same, but also Emirates and Qatar. I'd give those two equal ties for first, although the routes can be brutal with long layovers. 

I’m currently in AA’s 77W business seat from HKG-LaX. Had to buy WiFi to keep myself sane coz pattaya blues really hit me hard especially met one of best girls ever from my 20ish trips. Even I’m coming back 5 weeks later, it sure feel like a year away! 

Thanks to typhoon mangkut, I was able to extend my stay by 2 days. Important thing is checking AA alert (or your Airlines website) on weather situation so you could get lucky and extend your pattaya trip. Thought a tip I should share. 

• Like 1