IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

4 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

With news of cancellations and delays daily, I am getting concerned about my positioning flight early next month from LAS to SFO.

My original itinerary had me getting into SFO around 6 p.m. with a 10 p.m. departure on Singapore.  I bumped that up to an earlier flight, and now get in at 1 p.m., giving myself a BRUTAL 9 hour layover. BUT if there were problems with the 6 p.m. arrival, I was fucked, whereas the 1 p.m. arrival has 2 later flights in the event of a cancellation.

In the "WTF is wrong with you?!?" category, I am now thinking of going even earlier, and getting the 8 a.m. flight that arrives at 9:30 a.m., and getting a "day room" at the DoubleTree by SFO for about $135.  That would allow me to work (or nap) during the day, with a 5 p.m. checkout. 

Getting the room after the 1 p.m. arrival doesn't make much sense -- I'd basically only have it for about 3 hours.  If I stick with the 1 p.m. arrival, I will just "lounge it" for the time I have to kill (before grabbing dinner at Mustard's Grill on my Priority Pass credit!).

I think Centurion limits lounge access to 3 hours pre-flight.  Not sure if my Singapore biz class ticket would get me into a lounge that far in advance of my flight OR if I should pony up the cash for United Club access?

Any thoughts?

Looking at similar issues with my November trip (assuming I able to go then).

Funny, i did exactly the same thing

My upcoming trip has YYZ-AUH-BKK on etihad J departing YYZ at 2140 from T3 (non-AC terminal)

My only good way to get to YYZ is on AC, with arrival times of 0650 1230 1835 2023

Any sane person would book the 1835 arrival into YYZ, but i know thats a terminal change -- landside -- so 3h05m if perfectly on time sounds like barely enough time -- if my bags are properly interlined between itineraries -- AC and EY have interline in writing but you never know...

But i also fly out on a friday, and historically -- always -- AC flights to my hometown are a shitshow on fridays

So i rebooked into the 1230 arrival, leaving me 9 hours to collect my bag (if not interlined) and make my way to T3, and checkin opens 4h prior to departure so 1740 which is 5h10m before my scheduled arrival

Im betting ill be delayed just enough to show up to the checkin desk of EY 3h before the flight... If not i have max 3.5h to kill landside in the mid afternoon and maybe ill chill in the sheraton bar or a wendys

Or, something better will come up T-3days out on a connected itinerary and ill swap out

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

The 1pm  arrival and 9 hour layover seems like it will be sufficient ..    that already will be a brutal long travel day for you!   But I totally get we’re you are coming from and puke rather be safe than sorry..     Your SQ business class ticket should get you into a star alliance lounge even at that early arrival.

I think 1pm arrival is fine.  But also can relate to being really safe as Ive made that decision plenty of times before 

Yeah - I decided to stick with it.

Singapore Biz gets me into the Polaris lounge, and they have showers rooms and sleeping rooms with day beds.  I usually don't shower BEFORE the long haul after a positioning flight, but that 9 hour layover could take its toll and a refreshing shower might help.  My plan is to try to get as much work done as possible, but we'll see how that works out.

I had an 8+ hour layover on my last trip, but I hardly got any sleep before my departure from LAS and it was the end of a week of 3 a.m. meetings for work.  I was borderline Delirious by the time I got on my flight (I think EVA).

6 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Singapore Biz gets me into the Polaris lounge, and they have showers rooms and sleeping rooms with day beds.  I usually don't shower BEFORE the long haul after a positioning flight, but that 9 hour layover could take its toll and a refreshing shower might help.  My plan is to try to get as much work done as possible, but we'll see how that works out.

I had an 8+ hour layover on my last trip, but I hardly got any sleep before my departure from LAS and it was the end of a week of 3 a.m. meetings for work.  I was borderline Delirious by the time I got on my flight (I think EVA).

I was in the sfo Polaris lounge in May for my trip to BKK.  Nice lounge with good al la carte dining room. So nice touch.    The buffett section was just ok.   Overall all ok lounge but kind of boring.    The bar area was too small .   But not a bad spot for a long layover for sure. 

I used their shower rooms too.     Decent showers.

JAL does have a 10pm out of BKK as well but obviously harder to score those 

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Just be aware that the SQ check-in counter probably won’t be open until 4-5 hours before your flight. I ran into this during my Phuket sandbox trip, where I flew into JFK at 7:00 in the morning with my positioning flight, and the SQ check-in didn’t open until the evening.

No idea if you can get into the lounges with a ticket but no boarding pass.

TB-ES

2 hours ago, The Blue-Eyed Sheikh said:

Just be aware that the SQ check-in counter probably won’t be open until 4-5 hours before your flight. I ran into this during my Phuket sandbox trip, where I flew into JFK at 7:00 in the morning with my positioning flight, and the SQ check-in didn’t open until the evening.

No idea if you can get into the lounges with a ticket but no boarding pass.

TB-ES

I ran into that on my last trip.

Since my positioning flight is with United, I am hoping they can check my bags all the way through to BKK here in Las Vegas and print a boarding for me.

Curious: has anyone here done the Hilton triple stack? Apparently, some folks are grabbing each of the Hilton personal cards (Amex), grabbing all the sign-up bonuses, then product changing each one to the top tier card. This would get you $750/y in airline credits, $750/y in Hilton Pattaya credits, and 3n/y at Hilton Pattaya on top of that. Oh, and a whole shit ton of priority passes if you need to take the whole harem with you on the next trip. Total cost would be $1350 in annual fees.

I still hold two Marriott cards, the Wyndham earner business card, and just signed up for the IHG business card. I can see the Hilton benefits being worth much more to me than the others, but I don't think I'm doing enough hotel time to justify the entire collection unless I abandon the Marriott stack (or at least the top tier card) and possibly also the platinum card. 

10 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I ran into that on my last trip.

Since my positioning flight is with United, I am hoping they can check my bags all the way through to BKK here in Las Vegas and print a boarding for me.

Yes, you are correct.  United can and will do this (unlike American Airlines )

4 hours ago, jmukh said:

Curious: has anyone here done the Hilton triple stack? Apparently, some folks are grabbing each of the Hilton personal cards (Amex), grabbing all the sign-up bonuses, then product changing each one to the top tier card. This would get you $750/y in airline credits, $750/y in Hilton Pattaya credits, and 3n/y at Hilton Pattaya on top of that. Oh, and a whole shit ton of priority passes if you need to take the whole harem with you on the next trip. Total cost would be $1350 in annual fees.

I still hold two Marriott cards, the Wyndham earner business card, and just signed up for the IHG business card. I can see the Hilton benefits being worth much more to me than the others, but I don't think I'm doing enough hotel time to justify the entire collection unless I abandon the Marriott stack (or at least the top tier card) and possibly also the platinum card. 

Interesting..  I'm a Marriott guy so I have zero experience with Hilton.

But I know Amex will not allow multiple bonus' for Marriott points even if it's separate card.  For example if you received a chase Marriott sign up bonus on a personal card, you are not eligible EVER for an Amex Marriott sign up bonus..     would be interesting if this is not a sign up bonus just normal credit card perks.

May be something there for someone.   I'm unfortunately too into the weeds with Marriott right now.    But could be a good opp.

I had all 3 Hilton cards, but dropped the Surpass and the other one when they came up for renewal.  I never thought to product change it to another Aspire.  Interesting.

I love the Aspire, but think there is a diminishing return from having more than 1.  I could see having 2, but I think 3 would be overkill.

Apparently, there are links for AMEX cards with no "once in a lifetime" limits on the signup bonuses, but the ones I signed up for had it, so I think I am bounced from any other Hilton AMEX cards (unless/until they come up with a new one).  I thought maybe I didn't have the base card, but got a message that I was ineligible for the bonus when I tried to sign up for it recently.

I can't figure out WTF the deal is with Marriott cards!  555  I have 2 business Marriott cards (one with AMEX; one with Chase), but can't tell how/if they preclude me from getting bonuses from other Marriott cards. 

I am already getting 8 free room certificates each year (factoring in spend bonus on Hyatt and Hilton Biz) + an IHG BOGO + the $250 Hilton credit, so I'm not really in the market for a hotel card these days.

Very helpful links in the blog below to bonus offers on Chase co-branded cards:

https://frequentmiler.com/chase-spending-offers-for-q3-2023-direct-registration-links-for-most-cobranded-cards/

I got:
 - 5X on grocery stores, gas and restaurants (up to $1,500 spend through Sept. 30) on my Chase Hyatt card and my Chase IHG card (the old one that is like $49/year)
 - 7X at gas and restaurants and 5X (up to $1,500 spend) at grocery stores on my Chase IHG Premier.

At first I misread it as effectively being for $300 spend and 1,500 bonus points, but it is $1,500 spend.

The 7X at gas and restaurants will be difficult for me to hit, because I tank up so infrequently, but the grocery store spend is easy, given gift cards.  I can see myself getting quite a few Amazon GCs, especially with Prime Day coming up this week, and will likely snag some grocery store GCs (which is effectively just pre-paying for my groceries).  I might even do it later today or tomorrow (not $1,500, but maybe $300).

The Hyatt card bonus is especially nice -- $1,500 in grocery and gift cards nets me 7,500 Hyatt points, which effectively is a free night at the Hyatt Regency in Bangkok.  I have 2 nights booked there in August on points.  It was going for 8,000 per night, but I stepped up to a Suite at 13,000 points/night.

I've got a similar promotion on my AMEX Green card with 5X MRs on spend at grocery stores through October 6 up to $500 spend.  MRs are more valuable to me than IHG points, so that may be my "priority #2" after the Hyatt spend.

Looks like I'm gonna be fully stocked on gift cards!  555

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Thanks for the heads up. I’m now getting 5x on those categories with my United Explorer card.

15 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

https://frequentmiler.com/chase-spending-offers-for-q3-2023-direct-registration-links-for-most-cobranded-cards/

I got:
 - 5X on grocery stores, gas and restaurants (up to $1,500 spend through Sept. 30) on my Chase Hyatt card and my Chase IHG card (the old one that is like $49/year)
 - 7X at gas and restaurants and 5X (up to $1,500 spend) at grocery stores on my Chase IHG Premier.

At first I misread it as effectively being for $300 spend and 1,500 bonus points, but it is $1,500 spend.

The 7X at gas and restaurants will be difficult for me to hit, because I tank up so infrequently, but the grocery store spend is easy, given gift cards.  I can see myself getting quite a few Amazon GCs, especially with Prime Day coming up this week, and will likely snag some grocery store GCs (which is effectively just pre-paying for my groceries).  I might even do it later today or tomorrow (not $1,500, but maybe $300).

The Hyatt card bonus is especially nice -- $1,500 in grocery and gift cards nets me 7,500 Hyatt points, which effectively is a free night at the Hyatt Regency in Bangkok.  I have 2 nights booked there in August on points.  It was going for 8,000 per night, but I stepped up to a Suite at 13,000 points/night.

I've got a similar promotion on my AMEX Green card with 5X MRs on spend at grocery stores through October 6 up to $500 spend.  MRs are more valuable to me than IHG points, so that may be my "priority #2" after the Hyatt spend.

Thanks for this! Looks like I'm not eligible for anything yet (my Chase portfolio is Sapphire, Ink, and a new IHG business card waiting in my mailbox when I get back from Europe); I'll probably run through the entire business card portfolio before going back over 5/24 with Chase personal cards, but this kind of thing makes it very easy to justify opening / holding a couple of personal cards in the near future.

Here's an article that attempts to make sense of Marriott's matrix of rules on how signup bonus eligibility works. I've got Amex personal and business so far, but I'm tempted to cancel the personal when it renews next year since the new annual fee is very hard for me to justify.

https://frequentmiler.com/marriott-card-eligible/

• Like 2

Anyone have experience with bidding on TPAC upgrades with EVA? I got the email for my upcoming flight and might consider it, but I’m curious if anyone else has done it successfully, and, if so, how much they bid. 

TB-ES

21 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

With Prime Day starting soon, I loaded up on Amazon GCs and spent about $450 at local grocer today.  I used My AMEX Green, because of the lower "max spend," but will shift all grocery spend to my Chae Hyatt shortly.

3 hours ago, fun125 said:

does eva air give any air miles with uk credit cards ?

If you book an Eva flight on a BA Amex card you will get the Eva Star Alliance miles and Avios via the Amex card - double bubble!!!

If your Star Alliance account is with Thai then just tell Eva your Thai account number and the miles will go there.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2023 at 16:50, Luv2Phuket said:

You can also leave the airport to kill some time.  In-N-Out is one stop away on the BART train.  

I'm on that same Singapore flight next week.  

While listening to CNBC today, I heard ThePointsGuy being interviewed about Bipartisan legislation that is pending before Congress that poses a distinct threat to the points & miles game.

Here is link to a website that will generate an automatic message to your Rep and Senators:

https://handsoffmyrewards.com/

Because it is a bill with Bipartisan sponsorship (so not being pushed by the left or the right, but instead by "Big Box retailers"), I don't think this qualifies as "political." I just see it as an effort to protect our valuable credit card perks, so I wanted to pass it on.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

While listening to CNBC today, I heard ThePointsGuy being interviewed about Bipartisan legislation that is pending before Congress that poses a distinct threat to the points & miles game.

Here is link to a website that will generate an automatic message to your Rep and Senators:

https://handsoffmyrewards.com/

Because it is a bill with Bipartisan sponsorship (so not being pushed by the left or the right, but instead by "Big Box retailers"), I don't think this qualifies as "political." I just see it as an effort to protect our valuable credit card perks, so I wanted to pass it on.

So the big box stores are going to get ff points instead of me? Seems strange. Digging a little deeper, the Electronic Payments Coalition is a lobbying group for big banks, so I’ll take this with a grain of salt. I figure there’s something in the bill they don’t like because it hurts the big banks (and conversely likely helps the big bank consumer), so this their attempt to spin things. The debit card bill mentioned is one that sought to limit debit card acceptance fees for retailers. No wonder the big banks, VISA and Mastercard were against it. Regardless of routing, my credit card bank still knows how much I spent and where, so should be able to allocate rewards accordingly. I guess any hit to big banks’ profits might make some consider a reduction in rewards to try to compensate, but that would put them a competitive disadvantage to those who don’t. I’m not worried.

16 minutes ago, bgtp said:

So the big box stores are going to get ff points instead of me? Seems strange. Digging a little deeper, the Electronic Payments Coalition is a lobbying group for big banks, so I’ll take this with a grain of salt. I figure there’s something in the bill they don’t like because it hurts the big banks (and conversely likely helps the big bank consumer), so this their attempt to spin things. The debit card bill mentioned is one that sought to limit debit card acceptance fees for retailers. No wonder the big banks, VISA and Mastercard were against it. Regardless of routing, my credit card bank still knows how much I spent and where, so should be able to allocate rewards accordingly. I guess any hit to big banks’ profits might make some consider a reduction in rewards to try to compensate, but that would put them a competitive disadvantage to those who don’t. I’m not worried.

Good points!  The travel bloggers also are whores in many ways for credit card providers.  There isn't a credit card out there that they don't hype....so long as they get a referral fee!  555

As I understand it, the fear is, if their fees are cut, the big banks will make it harder to earn points (like instead of 1 point per USD spent, maybe .5? Or maybe they cut redemption rates?)

It's just a pissing match between lobbyists, but I come down on the side of "please don't fuck with my points and earning capacity"!  555

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2023 at 16:50, Luv2Phuket said:

Paranoia and multiple friends having flights get TOTALLY fucked up the past few weeks got the best of me....

I decided "fuck it! I'm going in the night before."  Looked for a cheap (but decent) hotel near SFO.  HI Express was around $150 (all in), and it was going to cost me about $90 to change my flight.

I gave it some thought and decided it made sense -- I could fly on Tuesday night at around 7:45 p.m. (missing less "work time"), then I would have until 2 p.m. (likely later) to continue to work from my room.  I'm busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger these days, so I decided that made sense.

Foolishly, I didn't lock it in....

I went back tonight and it was $250 to change my SFO flight to the night before (+ the $150 for the hotel room, factoring taxes/fees).  I could go in the late afternoon, but would gut the whole "missing less work time" aspect.

I decided that I was going to bump up to the 8 a.m. flight (9:30 am arrival) and then go to the Doubletree for a Day Room for about $125.  I think I'll get to the hotel around 11 a.m., and I'll have the room until 5 p.m. (always possible to milk the checkout time for a little longer), so that gives me a good 5 to 6 hours to knock out work before my SFO-SIN flight at around 10 p.m. 

Fingers crossed that it all works out!

Biggest win of 2023

As ive posted before i like to make speculative bookings around my intended date of departure on AirCanada in hopes of a time change that will allow me to rebook... well i just hit the jackpot

My intended departure was Home-YYZ on AC followed by a 9h layover landside terminal change transfer to Etihad for YYZ-AUH-BKK in business... pretty sweet you're thinking how does that get better...

I made a speculative booking 3 days after my intended departure, it was Home-YYZ-DEL-BKK on AirIndia First for 147k Aeroplan and $75... i had no intention of taking that flight but wanted it as a fallback option or...

There was a time change to the DEL-BKK flight resulting in a negative connection of 30min

Lucky for me there was a Home-YYZ-DXB-BKK option with YYZ-DXB and DXB-BKK in first that was also available...

So I called Aeroplan, 2h waiting for callback (no sweat) and 30m while the agent rebooks me

And im flying First class on Emirates from YYZ-DXB 12h45m an an A380, followed by 11h15m layover in DXB and another A380 First A380 6h30m

Only downside is the layovers... i opted for a 7h35m YYZ layover since AC is hell and i guess ill just have to suffer DXB first class emirates lounges for 11h15m... not sure what im going to do since ill be...

showering on the plane

147k Aeroplan $75...

1 hour ago, ThePope said:

Biggest win of 2023

As ive posted before i like to make speculative bookings around my intended date of departure on AirCanada in hopes of a time change that will allow me to rebook... well i just hit the jackpot

My intended departure was Home-YYZ on AC followed by a 9h layover landside terminal change transfer to Etihad for YYZ-AUH-BKK in business... pretty sweet you're thinking how does that get better...

I made a speculative booking 3 days after my intended departure, it was Home-YYZ-DEL-BKK on AirIndia First for 147k Aeroplan and $75... i had no intention of taking that flight but wanted it as a fallback option or...

There was a time change to the DEL-BKK flight resulting in a negative connection of 30min

Lucky for me there was a Home-YYZ-DXB-BKK option with YYZ-DXB and DXB-BKK in first that was also available...

So I called Aeroplan, 2h waiting for callback (no sweat) and 30m while the agent rebooks me

And im flying First class on Emirates from YYZ-DXB 12h45m an an A380, followed by 11h15m layover in DXB and another A380 First A380 6h30m

Only downside is the layovers... i opted for a 7h35m YYZ layover since AC is hell and i guess ill just have to suffer DXB first class emirates lounges for 11h15m... not sure what im going to do since ill be...

showering on the plane

147k Aeroplan $75...

Nice score. Emirates is like the final frontier for me. Just doesn't work great for me desired itineraries and hubs, but I want to get their first class one of these days. 

How's AC's business? I'm flying out on them next month. Never been. Look like reverse herringbone a la CX. Should be comfortable enough. Also looks like I get ANA lounges abroad. 

Just now, Little Evil said:

How's AC's business? I'm flying out on them next month. Never been. Look like reverse herringbone a la CX. Should be comfortable enough. Also looks like I get ANA lounges abroad. 

AC is good if they are on time... The hard product is the common seat you're referring to. The meal service is ok too meat runs on the dry side but everything is edible. Staff and service are ok too.

Airport experience is very hit and miss... the maple leaf lounges are often overcrowded. If you get into signature suites if flying international (not including USA) out of YYZ or YVR its like a high end restaurant for free

But their on time performance is horrible, so leave minimum 3hours for connections in my opinion

Sounds like youre flying Japan to Canada, so yes you will get ANA lounge if boarding a AC flight in business as they are star alliance partners

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThePope said:

AC is good if they are on time... The hard product is the common seat you're referring to. The meal service is ok too meat runs on the dry side but everything is edible. Staff and service are ok too.

Airport experience is very hit and miss... the maple leaf lounges are often overcrowded. If you get into signature suites if flying international (not including USA) out of YYZ or YVR its like a high end restaurant for free

But their on time performance is horrible, so leave minimum 3hours for connections in my opinion

Sounds like youre flying Japan to Canada, so yes you will get ANA lounge if boarding a AC flight in business as they are star alliance partners

Flying BOS>YUL>NRT out. Final leg to BKK is on Thai. Return is similar, but JAL for BKK>NRT. All in biz, but I don't think they even have F on this itinerary. First three leg BKK run I've done in like 6 years. Although BOS to YUL is like just over an hour. But beggars can't be choosers in this climate, which is why I'm again impressed with your EK-F. 

Still, should I be concerned that my YUL layover is only 1.5 hours? I was actually considering that decently short layover to be a blessing because of the positioning leg being annoying, but now you have me wondering. 

Edited by Little Evil
  • Like 2