IGNORED

Being called papa :'(

Thers's only two in Thai Language.

"Loong" meaning Uncle in a normal way and "PI" which gives respect.

I think you are being made a fool of.

But thats normal.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How should papa be understood, derogatory or respectful? I have some Thai friends call me papa, younger people, both men and women and yes I could be their father :)

In Thai culture it is not derogatory at all to be called “papa” or “uncle” or whatever by younger people; the other way round it is completely normal to call younger people “nohng” (น้อ = younger brother or sister).

This may be as a joke, as well as offensive. In my opinion, it is important that the form in which it is presented and what time the call and what is currently mimicry girls. This is similar as the "Tyng tong".

You're completely wrong.

Gee I don't know lads, it's an age related term isn't it, so surely a reference to your advancing years isn't good?

I can see it being used in a bantering way amongst good friends, but if someone I'm not close to calls me Papa as far as I'm concerned they're being a little snide.

Case in point, I always tip my room Maid, a little each day and a healthy tip on my last day.  Staying at @ Mind last year, the mature aged Maid was great (I'm guessing she was somewhere in her early 40's).  Cottoned on to the idea that my LT was a little keen on me, made up the towels into elephants and swans each day etc.

Last day, I hand her 1,000THB and thank her for her service, to which her response was "Thank you Papa" with a bit of a smirk.  My girl froze, I brushed it off.  She wasn't being 'friendly' that's for sure.

Put it another way, if someone calls you "Pops" back home, is it complimentary? 

Cheers

Perthie

Don’t get offended, Perthie.

When I was younger and still a tourist, receptionists sometimes referred to me as “papa”.

At first I felt insecure too, but the missus convinced me that it is a way of showing respect to older people.

Never judge from a European (or Australian for that reason) point of view.

Thers's only two in Thai Language.

"Loong" meaning Uncle in a normal way and "PI" which gives respect.

I think you are being made a fool of.

But thats normal.

An older brother is “phie chaai” (พี่ชาย); an older sister is “phie saaw” (พี่สาว); nothing wrong with being called “phie” (พี่).

The missus is often called “phie” by (even slightly) younger neighbours.

• 2 months later...

Seems here in Thailand and generally in S.E. Asia they have respect for their elders. It was once that way back in the West. Now we just shove them into retirement homes to rot till they see God. So I would take it as a form of respect.

Don’t get offended, Perthie.

When I was younger and still a tourist, receptionists sometimes referred to me as “papa”.

At first I felt insecure too, but the missus convinced me that it is a way of showing respect to older people.

Never judge from a European (or Australian for that reason) point of view.

getting called papa by a hooker is taking the piss,nothing to do with respect 

Depends who is calling you it. My TGF calls me papa and it's cute, in no way derogatory. It's a respect thing, same as "p" - used by anyone younger than you when addressing you. p'jack, p'joe, p'mark, etc

• 3 weeks later...

How should papa be understood, derogatory or respectful? I have some Thai friends call me papa, younger people, both men and women and yes I could be their father :)

It is neither, It is just a friendly way of addressing you if you are old  and when they dont know your name or feel they dont know you well enough to use your first name.

If a girl does get to know you better, having previously always called  you 'Papa' she will continue to do so  unless you ask her to use your first name.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

• 3 weeks later...

It is neither, It is just a friendly way of addressing you if you are old  and when they dont know your name or feel they dont know you well enough to use your first name.

If a girl does get to know you better, having previously always called  you 'Papa' she will continue to do so  unless you ask her to use your first name.

If she calls you “papa”, you can call her “nong”, nothing wrong with that.

My missus calls me Daddy.. :GoldenSmile1:

it's where I got my handle...  my first tgf called me daddy...  in pattaya have had many people call me papa, always seems to me to be a term of endearment and/or respect.

bothered me at first... but now I am fine with it, but I prefer teerak!

it's where I got my handle... my first tgf called me daddy... in pattaya have had many people call me papa, always seems to me to be a term of endearment and/or respect.

bothered me at first... but now I am fine with it, but I prefer teerak!

My Ex used to call me Oowan (fatty) she thought it was cute...go figure.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

As long as they dont start calling me Grandpapa.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Often being called Papa by sales people or people on the streets who don't know me,

in swedish the word "Pappa" is strictly used as father by your children only,

and since I don't have any children it always makes me feel weird to be called "Papa"!

In Sweden you would call an older man that you don't know for "farbror" meaning uncle.

Luckily though none of my barfines has ever called me "Papa"...yet! :WinkGrin1:

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Often being called Papa by sales people or people on the streets who don't know me,

in swedish the word "Pappa" is strictly used as father by your children only,

and since I don't have any children it always makes me feel weird to be called "Papa"!

In Sweden you would call an older man that you don't know for "farbror" meaning uncle.

Luckily though none of my barfines has ever called me "Papa"...yet! :WinkGrin1:

Plahgat

I find it more "funny" than anything else

In Danish the word is not even close to "Papa" it is "Far", so no associasion there.

In Thai it is still different than Swedish, more like "paa-paa", but in PI it is pronounced almost exactly as in Swedish: "Pappa", but still spelled "Papa"

I find it more "funny" than anything else

In Danish the word is not even close to "Papa" it is "Far", so no associasion there.

In Thai it is still different than Swedish, more like "paa-paa", but in PI it is pronounced almost exactly as in Swedish: "Pappa", but still spelled "Papa"

If young children would call me "Papa" I wouldn't mind I would find it funny and cute as well,

but when people close to my own age calls me "Papa" It feels a bit derogatory!

Though Thai people who knows me will only use my real name, it's mainly the sales people that are a bit annoying at times!

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

A 25 year old to me is a young ............

We are not all twerking with the same beak

• 2 months later...

I have several good friends that call me Pa Pa and I am sure that there has never been any insult meant.  At first it was difficult to understand because i wasn`t used to it but now I am sure that it is more respect for age than anything else.  One friend of many years now does actually refer to herself as my daughter even though we are just good friends.  Think that people in the west are too concerned with age, here in Thailand it is just taken for granted and anyone will tell you their age if you ask them.  If they don`t know your age it causes problems for them as to how to properly address you.  Pa pa is a nice catch all for obviously older men.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 4 weeks later...

On my last trip I was sitting at a bar drinking a beer and overheard on of the three BG's comment to the other "him sexy old man" I knew it was me because the only other ones in there we're two 20 something guys.I wasn't put off but wasn't in the best humor having a big hangover lol

I was called Papa for a long time.I didn't care it was OK.The day I turned 65 they put on a party on for me and Lady Pla told me Mick you are now 65 I call you Mick everyone else will call you Pa

• 3 months later...

My missus calls me Daddy.. :GoldenSmile1:

I have always understood it (Papa) to be a term of affection and respect...

Archived