• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Windy

• onourway

• papa_soda

• Shanks

I saw Durian fruits many times on the markets but I've never tasted it. These posts make me curious. Maybe I can try it when I'm in

Pattaya next time.

Pattaya: You can checkout any time you like - but you can never leave - Eagles

• 2 weeks later...

Durians are also grown in Mindanao, Philippines. They are already starting to show up, along with the rambutan (lychee) in Manila.

I really love 'em. The taste is unlike anything else, sweet, tangy, it has a smooth creamy texture, and the smell isn't bad to me. Kind of like an onion. But like others have mentioned, one gets their fill of it rather quickly. I usually only eat the custard from around 4-5 seeds. Sections sometimes have 5-6 seeds, and each fruit has 5 sections.

The druian falls from the tree when it's ripe, but sometimes the people that harvest them, will cut them from the tree, before they are totally ripe.

When selecting the sweetest druian, it's very important to pinch the thorns together. A ripe durian will have thorns that move easily from side to side. While the green ones, will be un-movable.

After finding a few pieces of fruit with flexible thorns, it's time to take a whiff. The best tasting durians are the stinkiest even while still inside their thick skin. Turn the fruit upside down, opposite end from the stem, and take a whiff, at the smooth patch where there are no thorns. Pick the one with the strongest aroma.

How to open a druian? First cut off the stem, and sit it on a chopping block, upside down, and take a sharp butcher knife and insert it very carefully, point first through the center of the fruit, into the smooth bottom patch with no thorns. A close inspection will reveal 5 sections running the length of the fruit. Try to cut between the segments, to avoid the huge seeds, and make your cut about about 1/3 of the length down. Cut between all 5 sections, and then carefully pull it apart with your hands. Be careful, those thorns are very sharp.

I always have leftovers, that are great cold, but the only downside, is every time someone opens the fridge, with durian inside, I can smell the strong aroma, even when I'm upstairs, with the bedroom door shut, and the AC cranking. Plus the butter, buko, and other items in the fridge, will be impregnated with durian smell, and taste.

No amount of plastic wrap, can contain the odour!

A small price to pay for the exotic tasty ice cream like cold custard of durian~

I've been to Thailand a few times and have read about this fruit and how it is banned on public transport such as trains because of it's strong smell. It wasn't until my last trip that I encountered it.

Me and the TGF were going down walking St one evening and there was a market set up down the middle of the street with stalls selling different produce and goods etc.

The GF sees this one stall selling Durian and went over to buy some.

I thought nothing off this as I did not know what she was buying and any way she's Thai and does this buying street food all the time.

When we get back to the loom I went for a shower after the shower I go back into the main room and notice this really quite unpleasant smell, thinking that the drains had backed up on the soi and the TG had opened the windows I go to close them but they were closed? WTF where is this smell coming from?

The Gf was sat on the bed eating and watching TV so I said "you smell something bad?"

She said "no me no smell anything bad" Oh well I thought maybe I have had 1 beer to many and went to sit next to her.

Well the smell got worse as I sat next to her so I had to sniff the bag she was holding and low and behold the source off this rather unpleasant odor became apparent.

"This called what" I asked

"Durian" she replied "you want some"

I have to admit that I'm not a lover of fruit but I was intrigued

So I tried a little bit and it does taste OK very creamy a bit like cold custard

I did say that she had to finish it all that night as it does smell LOL

With mugwai (TG) comes much responsability