IGNORED

DURIAN

pattaya pete

What the hell is it? What are the ingredients?

Durian is a Malay word meaning literally "thorny thing" ("duri" = thorn + an "=thing"). (I can speak Malay). One of the ingredients is sulphur (extracted from minerals in the soil), hence the yellow colour and pungent odour. The durian fruit is said to smell like hell (sulphorous volcanic) but taste like heaven. In my opinion, this is true. The taste and texture are wonderful. I love durians, but the taste can vary according to the type and stage of muturity.

I've heard the tale about drinking beer and eating durian being dangerous, but I'm not sure if it has any validity or is just an urban myth.

I once tried to take a durian in a suitcase back home to Britain. It was in a sealed plastic container, which was then wrapped in layers of plastic bags. The smell still got out and I was forced to remove it from my case at the airport.

Edited by hpsauce

Verbum sat sapienti est.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joz72087

• onourway

• papa_soda

• Shanks

i think they call it the king of fruit, i cut one open in my house before and it smelled like crap for 2 days

My derbyshire friend spent a hefty ammount of quid on one for his ladyfan, I never saw the appeal too much though. Also, if you drink soda after eating one, won't it kill you?

THIS IS MY FIRST POLL ,I EAT DURIAN BUT DONT LIKE THE SMELL

PETE

it reminds me of sea urchin.

taste was good, but when youre done with it and the smell lingers around the house like a rotten egg fog and starts to peel the paint on the walls, thats when its too much.

The thai restraunt near me make's durian ice cream and it's spot on, i quite like it myself with lime juice sugar syrup

du du du short time ...tammai teug tum kub chan dai

Foxy007

• 2 weeks later...

It stinks. But a captain I used to fly with loved this shit and always carried a whole bag full of this shit in the cramped 737 cockpit. :WTF1:

It stinks. But a captain I used to fly with loved this shit and always carried a whole bag full of this shit in the cramped 737 cockpit. :WTF1:

You poor man. :)

Durian from Thailand not so nice, Malaysian Durian is much better! However sitting in a car in Malaysia for 5 hours with some of this in the back seat has put me off it for life.

I love the stuff, and will eat it whenever I get the chance.

I have found that the darker yellow fleshed ones seem to have a better taste than the light yellow fleshed ones, which can taste like cardboard.

Whilst most people say that you cant eat durian whilst on alcohol, i have never had a problem with this.

:ThankGod1:

Chill out and enjoy life

I have found that the darker yellow fleshed ones seem to have a better taste than the light yellow fleshed ones, which can taste like cardboard.

HHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????????????? Well, there is your answer!!!!!!!! Eat the light yellow ones!! Cardboard has to be an improvement over what I tried..... the Malay ( some actual Orang ansli operators in Bintulu when I was there ) had about 30 of them in the control room. I spent the whole night out in the unit, next to a big steam turbine, where it was devilishly hot. But at least there was air about around there...Control room did not have any air left as best as I could tell.... Whew......... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if we're on the subject of bad tasting stuff, what about Sato? Does anyone like those smelly beans?

large sig = small penis

Mmmm, Durien......

First tried it in Malaysia in 1990, tasted good, once you got past the smell!

I like the chips & the icecream (not at the same time....I'm not preggers! :Hair_Out1: ).

Bloody expensive in Oz too!

Same with Rambutans! Fell in love with them on the same trip in 1990. Got a big bag (1kg?) last trip in Patts for 20bht.

1kg in Oz will cost you $15!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel i usually stays in pattaya, have

put up picture off durian and another

food thingy....cant remember the

name, but it is with the raw crabs i think....

the smelly buggers and they are not

allowed in the hotel......

• 3 weeks later...
:D Durian is strange! I don´t like the smell. But it tastes fine. Aroi mak mak!

I'm with you on this, the smell isn't great but it taste OK.

:)

THIS IS MY FIRST POLL ,I EAT DURIAN BUT DONT LIKE THE SMELL

PETE

Pete, I'm don't think taking the nic of "pattaya pete", one of the originators of Pattaya/Thailand Forums is the right thing to do.

Posted Image

Don't mind it at all , but only a couple of pieces in one sitting. Same as Jack fruit, monstereo, custard apple etc. And I love the chips. Everytime i go to Ban Phe we get some from the roadside stalls . It is now a ritual. But the chips are expensive in especially in BKK in comparison with other foods. . About 300baht a bag around sukhumvit last year. I haven't found them in Pattaya but i suppose they are there in the supermarkets.

babydollsaddict.gif

• 6 months later...

No thanks after reading this thread i will just have a cheeseburger and fries thanks..................lol