IGNORED

German Dental Clinic, anyone been?

plahgat

Hi!

Time for another update.

I finally had my 4 last Zirconia crowns fitted.

Lots of work adjusting, polishing and finishing until they were at last in place.

Dr Jay got a small problem though with cement getting stuck between two crowns

took a long time for her struggling with floss to get it off!

Then I had only one visit left, to try and fix the tooth that she first thought needed a rootfilling.

That visit wasn't until 5 days later so I took another mini-trip to BKK for 4 days.

Unfortunately I got a problem with the temporary filling on the root-filling tooth it broke and a piece of the tooth chipped off as well!

Felt some chilling while drinking cold water, but else no pain.

One of the last Zirconia crowns also felt a bit high still.

Yesterday I was back in the dentist chair again.

Luckily Dr Jay managed to fix my broken tooth with a filling, but she also said it won't last forever because the tooth is more or less broken off in two pieces!

Only other option is to give it a rootcanal treatment after all and then try to put in some "pillar" to rebuilt it enough to be able to put a crown on it, but that is for the future.

She also polished down one of my new Zirconia crowns a bit so my bite is now much better.

This visit was meant to be the last one, but I managed to persuade her to do some more minor estethic work, so I will still have another last appointment with her on Monday.

Then she will change 3 old Amalgam-fillings to white Composit, fill in the enamel that is worn on my front teeth and also change an old darkened composit-filling between my front teeth.

Todays visit and filling was free though.

So total bill still stands at 93000 baht.

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

It's time to sum up my dental adventures in Pattaya and Thailand for this year!crazy.gif

Today I visited Dr Jay at Pattaya Smile Dental Clinic for the last time before I go home.

I had requested her to do some minor cosmetic works on my teeth as the finale today.

Change of 3 old Amalgam-fillings to white Composite.

Change and renew some small white fillings in my front teeth that had darkened during the years.

Also to fill in some Composite on the surface of my front teeth because the enamel had been worn down during too much rough tooth-brushing during the years.

Then finish off with some polishing.

Took about 30 minutes for Dr Jay to finish the final work today.

Cost of today's work 3000 baht.

That means my final bill stops at 96000 baht in all.

I made a total of 10 visits, (although 2 were just short ones to refit a temporary crown that had fallen off).

I started this adventure on May 8 and it finished today June 4, but it included some time waiting for the lab to construct and send my new Zirconia crowns from BKK, and Dr Jay had a few days off work as well.

There is still some work to do in the future though, because I still have at least 3 more crowns to fit and I might also change two old crowns for new Zirconia crowns instead.

As a final summation I will show some before and after pictures of my teeth!

A warning though is in place as some might get disturbed by the graphic nature of these photos! y2.gif

Plahgat

1a. My front teeth before.

My Teeth 1 before.jpg

1b. My font teeth after.

My Teeth 1 after.jpg

2a. My lower jaw teeth before.

My Teeth 2 before.jpg

2b. My lower jaw teeth after.

My Teeth 2 after.jpg

3a. My upper jaw teeth before.

My Teeth 3 before.jpg

3b. My upper jaw teeth after.

My Teeth 3 after.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great report as I sit in the internet shop considering dentists.

Mine is much easier than yours just a partial plate/denture.

How did you take the pictures inside your mouth??

They look very professional.

Disclaimer.... yea I'm an Idiot

Hi!

I haven't been to see a dentist for 8 years, because of my fear of pain and also because my economy hasn't allowed it!

I thought there were nicer things to do with my hard spent money! :ILoveSex1:

Then I was asked to go back to the office again, and Mr. Schlatter looked at my X-ray and did sound somewhat shocked of what he saw, after a couple of minutes he told me I needed 10 caps!!!

I had thought maybe 6 crowns or the worse scenario 8, so I was quite shocked as well!

She said that after a root filling the tooth is dead, and might sooner or later get loose and fall out, so better to try and keep it alive as long as possible.

Will also save me 13000 baht + 6000 baht, so I keep my fingers crossed!

It was 10 years of avoidance for me and like you, the first story I heard was, as the dentist was dictating the list of work required to his assistant: "root canal, crown, root canal, crown, root canal crown", etc. About $10,000 USD worth of work.

The experienced dental school faculty member who untimately did my two crowns attributed the "expansive" work list approach to a Desire by the first dentist to get his house paid off sooner. ;)

The 2nd dentist I consulted would not do a root canal without first determining, as did your dentist, whether the existing root was viable. It's true what your dentist said, but if a root canal is needed, the root is infected/non-viable anyway and there's no choice...plus an infected root hurts like h*ll and at inconvenient times, like the middle of the night. Your dentist made a good call, save the root if possible.

Sounds and looks like you did well. A root canal in the US is about $1200 USD if I recall and a crown up to $1400. And we both know now not to neglect checkups, and to avoid greedy dentists. ;)

Great report as I sit in the internet shop considering dentists.

Mine is much easier than yours just a partial plate/denture.

How did you take the pictures inside your mouth??

They look very professional.

Hi!

I took those myself infront of my bathroom mirror!

My camera has a swiweling amoled screen that I turned towards the mirror so I could look at my teeth in the reflection.

It was quite difficult though because light was not enough, so I had to use flash,

but it was not easy to direct the light towards my open mouth, and also my autofocus was having problems to focus on the right spot!

I also had to change the whitebalance since some pics went too yellow.

Plahgat

The 2nd dentist I consulted would not do a root canal without first determining, as did your dentist, whether the existing root was viable. It's true what your dentist said, but if a root canal is needed, the root is infected/non-viable anyway and there's no choice...plus an infected root hurts like h*ll and at inconvenient times, like the middle of the night. Your dentist made a good call, save the root if possible.

Sounds and looks like you did well. A root canal in the US is about $1200 USD if I recall and a crown up to $1400. And we both know now not to neglect checkups, and to avoid greedy dentists. ;)

My "Root Canal" tooth is still OK no pain whatsoever, so I keep my fingers crossed the filling will last as long as possible!

My new Zirconia crowns are still good too, although they feel a little different than my real teeth being more smooth and shiny textured, than a more rough textured feeling when my tounge feels my real teeth.

A couple of times while eating and biting too hard, it happend that my Zirconia crowns gave off a squeeky sound when they are being grind against eachother, so I have to be a little bit more gently when I chew and I must also avoid to bite on too hard "objects"! :GoldenSmile1:

Plahgat

A friend had some very extensive work at this clinic, cost over 200,000 baht !! Yes they are probably more expensive than some but very professional and very good result. It helps i think having their labs on site. Can recommend them. Go for the best you can afford.

Yeah exactly ! Much better to spend the extra for your teeth as there are a lot of buthcher jobs that your eally dont wanna experience!!

Hi!

It's time to sum up my dental adventures in Pattaya and Thailand for this year!crazy.gif

Today I visited Dr Jay at Pattaya Smile Dental Clinic for the last time before I go home.

I had requested her to do some minor cosmetic works on my teeth as the finale today.

Change of 3 old Amalgam-fillings to white Composite.

Change and renew some small white fillings in my front teeth that had darkened during the years.

Also to fill in some Composite on the surface of my front teeth because the enamel had been worn down during too much rough tooth-brushing during the years.

Then finish off with some polishing.

Took about 30 minutes for Dr Jay to finish the final work today.

Cost of today's work 3000 baht.

That means my final bill stops at 96000 baht in all.

I made a total of 10 visits, (although 2 were just short ones to refit a temporary crown that had fallen off).

I started this adventure on May 8 and it finished today June 4, but it included some time waiting for the lab to construct and send my new Zirconia crowns from BKK, and Dr Jay had a few days off work as well.

There is still some work to do in the future though, because I still have at least 3 more crowns to fit and I might also change two old crowns for new Zirconia crowns instead.

As a final summation I will show some before and after pictures of my teeth!

A warning though is in place as some might get disturbed by the graphic nature of these photos! y2.gif

Plahgat

1a. My front teeth before.

My Teeth 1 before.jpg

1b. My font teeth after.

My Teeth 1 after.jpg

2a. My lower jaw teeth before.

My Teeth 2 before.jpg

2b. My lower jaw teeth after.

My Teeth 2 after.jpg

3a. My upper jaw teeth before.

My Teeth 3 before.jpg

3b. My upper jaw teeth after.

My Teeth 3 after.jpg

Mat -Thanks heaps for those pics as it really does highlight the worthwhils work that was done so once again Thankyou :GoldenSmile1:

Great report mate hope everything goes well in the future. I'm looking at some cosmetic work myself on existing front crowns had them for 30yrs which are still ok but the gums have receded exposing the margin which makes the gums look discoloured.

Looking at veneering the existing crowns but if not possible new ones may be needed. Sent them an email hopefully hear back soon.

Think your dentist was Dr Kai according to there website, does sounds like Jay. She has 26yrs experience in dentistry which is what you want, someone that knows what they're doing .

Thanks again

Think your dentist was Dr Kai according to there website, does sounds like Jay. She has 26yrs experience in dentistry which is what you want, someone that knows what they're doing .

Thanks again

My Dentist was Dr Jay, real name: Dr.JongLak Thaitawee : General Dentist

I'd guess she was in her late 30s.

Plahgat

Thanks heaps for this. Very informative thread.

I think I may get some very minor works while I am there, before reading your thread I would have been too suspect.

Many thanks.

Today is one day after and so far it feels very good, no pain or chills when eating or drinking, much better than with the temporary caps!

Plahgat

I'm confused because I thought Sweden has free medical care. Also, a dentist who used to be mentioned frequently on this forum is Dr. Aree at the hospital on, I believe, Soi 4. However, I don't hear about her anymore.

My Dentist was Dr Jay, real name: Dr.JongLak Thaitawee : General Dentist

I'd guess she was in her late 30s.

Plahgat

Ok thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused because I thought Sweden has free medical care. Also, a dentist who used to be mentioned frequently on this forum is Dr. Aree at the hospital on, I believe, Soi 4. However, I don't hear about her anymore.

I think you have to pay for dental in Sweden, it's like that in Denmark as well. I'm all so looking for a dentist in Pattaya so I think I'll check her out.

BR

Jens

Pussy always wins, it's undefeated

No we don't have free dental care in Sweden, up to 3000 SEK you have to pay all costs, but higher than 3000 SEK (13000 baht) are discounted by 50 % up to 15000 SEK,

and by 85% for all costs over 15000 SEK (65000 baht).

This is on a yearly basis based on a Government reference pricelist for dental care.

Every citizen also gets a yearly small subsidy of 300 SEK up to 29 years of age and over 74, the rest gets 150 SEK.

Plahgat

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting report, Thanks for the info. One small tip, your front teeth will last longer if you give up on using them to open beer bottles,

Interesting report, Thanks for the info. One small tip, your front teeth will last longer if you give up on using them to open beer bottles,

I will consider that, especially since I don't drink Beer or any other alcoholics! 555

Twoo months to my next trip to Pattaya and Thailand, and if my economy allows I will change my last 3 old amalgam filled teeth to Zirconia as well!

In the future might even change my 2 old crowns for new Zirconia to finish off the total dental work.

So stay tuned for more updates!

Plahgat

Great report Plahgat,

I'm back in Pattaya on December 1st and I'll be making an appointment at Pattaya Smile Dental Clinic online before I arrive. I've been considering some tooth maintenance and cosmetic dentistry after years of working in countries with basic dental care. Your report has convinced me to take the plunge.

Cheers,

Goric.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say thanks for this informative thread. I need a few simple fillings done and i was looking for a dentist in Pattaya. Thanks, now i know where to go. :)

I actually went to her clinic in September for some general stuff is she was very good and gentle. It's not one of the fancy clinics but I felt comfortable with her. It can be a bit difficult to find the clinic as there are a lot of dentists in this area.

Br

Jens

Pussy always wins, it's undefeated

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to having the work done in patts, did you get a diagnosis from a Swedish dentist to see what work they recommended you having

The overall lesson we should all learn from Plahgat's ordeal is not to always postpone this work the way he did. Had he been going to the dentist at regualr intervals over the years he wouldn't be having all these problems. I learned this the hard way 5 years ago.

Archived