IGNORED

Health Insurance In Thailand.

htrdmx

Medical Expense per accident

Wouldn't you blow through that in one or two days at one of the private hospitals, if in intensive care?

If in Intensive Care, you may well be right.

Realistically, however, the 4 road accidents I have experienced or have direct knowledge of were all < 3k in the first instance, with some small after care costs.

Even in the worst case scenario, 50k is a good start and the premium cost is pretty low.

What would you suggest for the expat who has no other Accident Insurance?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If in Intensive Care, you may well be right.

Realistically, however, the 4 road accidents I have experienced or have direct knowledge of were all < 3k in the first instance, with some small after care costs.

Even in the worst case scenario, 50k is a good start and the premium cost is pretty low.

What would you suggest for the expat who has no other Accident Insurance?

No idea, but thanks for bringing it up. It is definitely better then not having anything and the price is good. If you all you have to do is show the card and not pay up front, even better. A lot of insurance companies won't even cover for motorcycle accidents or terrorism and this one seems to cover it all. I will get it as a backup as I have an account with Kasikorn anyway.

No idea, but thanks for bringing it up. It is definitely better then not having anything and the price is good. If you all you have to do is show the card and not pay up front, even better. A lot of insurance companies won't even cover for motorcycle accidents or terrorism and this one seems to cover it all. I will get it as a backup as I have an account with Kasikorn anyway.

seems to be until 65 year old, and in case murder lower pay out .... to discourage your close Th ones ?? :GoldenSmile1:

KMaxDebit Insurrance info.pdf

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

seems to be until 65 year old, ......................

That isn't what I'm talking about though right? That just comes with a Debit Card

The one I'm talking about, they said if you're in by 64 you can renew to 70.

oops

That isn't what I'm talking about though right? That just comes with a Debit Card

The one I'm talking about, they said if you're in by 64 you can renew to 70.

cos you quote; Provided you get in before 64 you can renew until at least 70.

cos you quote; Provided you get in before 64 you can renew until at least 70.

You've lost me.

You are talking about some 'free' insurance which comes with a Debit Card (maybe i have it?).

I'm talking about a stand alone Accident Insurance Policy which you pay an annual premium for.

Yes or not?

You've lost me.

You are talking about some 'free' insurance which comes with a Debit Card (maybe i have it?).

I'm talking about a stand alone Accident Insurance Policy which you pay an annual premium for.

Yes or not?

yes you are right confusion , two different ones ....

• 4 months later...

Not Health, but Accident Insurance from Kasikorn Bank seems good value at 2500 Baht per annum.

Cover is automatic around Pattaya on production of the card at Memorial, International or Bangkok Pattaya - no payment required.

To my surprise, it is also valid worldwide so, for example, I'm even covered in Cambodia, albeit on a claim back later basis.

It is not valid for State hospitals - if you go there you pay yourself.

Provided you get in before 64 you can renew until at least 70.

Sorry it's a little off topic, but it's worth a look if you have a Kasikorn account and, if you don't have one, perhaps worth opening one?

i just received mine today , and reading the exclusions

section 3......i noticed exclusion if riding ON a motorbike !!!!

so no cover,

i asked in KKbank , and get the reply not to tell or ask doctor not to mension M0TORBIKE (???!!!!) so definetly no covered if they know

Also my adress was not correct , .... "no ploblem..." again , is adres K bank (even that one was different , on envelope chonburri 20150 on contract 20260 )

, hope they are more accurate with banking figures :GoldenSmile1:

No cover for whatever (in ANY ONE ) if 150 mg alcohol level or above :Think1:

insurance age 16 to 65 at the time apply first insurance policy

just to be aware folks ALL insurance companys do not like to pay :hello09:

• 1 month later...

A Thai insurance is between 10000 and 25000 Baht depending on age and history .

A good farang insurance is round U$ 700-1500 , again depending on age and medical history .

I just got myself a decent health insurance trough AA insurances in Hua hin ( they have an agent in Pattaya as wel )

from ACS a French compagny that does expat insurances .

Give this guy an email and he can tell you all the ins and outs [email protected]

I have this insurance for myself and it cost me around US$600 it covers for all of south east asia I think. Got a quote for my TGF for the same policy for about US$450. It's better than BUPA if you compare them. Haven't had to use it yet and hope not to but did go to BPH and ask them if they accept and the farang guy that work in the admin department told me that it was accepted.

OK, I have read through this whole thread and still cant see an answer. HOW MUCH IS MEDICAL INSURANCE (NOT ACCIDENT, MEDICAL) PER YEAR IF YOU ARE AN EXPAT LIVING IN THAILAND. THANKS.

OK, I have read through this whole thread and still cant see an answer. HOW MUCH IS MEDICAL INSURANCE (NOT ACCIDENT, MEDICAL) PER YEAR IF YOU ARE AN EXPAT LIVING IN THAILAND. THANKS.

You can pay any figure you can afford.

If you are young and want minimal cover, say a minimum of Bht10k; if you are around 70yo and want good cover, then say US$10,000 plus. An average 50 yo, say US$1,000.

You can pay any figure you can afford.

If you are young and want minimal cover, say a minimum of Bht10k; if you are around 70yo and want good cover, then say US$10,000 plus. An average 50 yo, say US$1,000.

ur british, why are you quoting in us dollars :GoldenSmile1: but thanks for that, I guess the answer to my question is about 500 quid a year then.

• 3 weeks later...

So have seriously been considering retiring outside the USA within the next ten years. I am already taking the steps to purchase a condo in Bang Saray. I was curious If you are able to purchase some sort of Thai health insurance plan. What is the cost yearly or monthly?

I have been studying Thai medical insurance for over 5 years, seen and read the fine print on every major policy including the one's mentioned in all the post that I have read here! First I'm a American that left my job at 55 years of age without a pension or medical coverage. So one of my major concern was medical insurance and obtaining it. What I experience and what I found out in Thailand isn't pretty although many believe on the surface "it is just wonderful and cheap"?

When I hear people talk about insurance just like here on the forum and I am actually able to ask a few questions I conclude that the majority just have no idea as to what they got and how much they got is going to cover? Personally looking at your question you are still young and have time to work in a job that you might be able to retired with U.S. Medical coverage from your job and again personally although it is far from perfect and it is a start never be able to repeal Obama health plan unless the poltician get their head out of their ass and stop criticizing other countries like Canada and Europe and come up with something better instead of saying the free market will take care of it? After what I have gone through and know I would do anything to be able to afford a insurance policy at home instead I'm waiting to turn 65 so I can get into medicare.

Insurance in Thailand is basically sold Ala Carte, its not like the U.S. a insurance card for example with Blue Cross, you can see a doctor outpatient or pays for a stay overnight in a hospital and covers your drugs. In Thailand, age does matter the older the higher and after sixty good luck in getting one and if you have pre-existing conditions even more good luck! majority of the policies if not all you are paying for overnight stay in a hospital and outpatient is extra. Outpatient policies usually run as much as the inpatient portion. Most policies carries a small portion for accident and and portion for death. Remember a life in Thailand is value at a maximum of 300,000 baht so if you have a policy like Muang Thai that covers you for a death payout of 1,000,000 baht most likely you are paying more for life insurance than health insurance coverage if health insurance covers you to a maximum of 100,000 baht per incident.

One of the hardest part in buying health insurance is deciding how much you need? Hard to guage since many novice have no idea what the cost of treatment is going to be. I can say I have a 1 million baht policy and I'm still nervous if I come down with something and require a long stay? A day stay at Bangkok/Pattaya hospital with all necessary items will run you a average of 12,000 baht a day. That is just having a high fever with a simple I.V. in you! ICU, runs in the range of 25,000/45,000 baht a day. Add up the operation fee, doctors fee etc... you serious think a policy of 100,000 is going to take care of you?

Here is a true story. A farang friend of mines had a injury to his head. Unconscious they brougth him a major hospital they operated and save his life he was in intensive care for a week and hospitalized for a month. The cost was slightly over a million baht. He did not have any Thai insurance the paper his wife sign to authorize admission ( of course no read this shit ) allows the hospital to take it from his bank account, they max out his credit card in his wallet even max out his Target department store visa card. In the end, he had insurance from the U.S. and got all the money back six months later.

Sorry fellas got to go to sleep will look back tomorrow and continue?

Continued:

Many people here responded with having something is better than nothing but one got to know exactly what you have? Common sense would tell you if the premium is low so is the coverage. First you got to decide how much coverage you need then look at the policy catagory and see what the policy is going to cover for example, operation room, general expenses, surgical fee, physicians fee, etc..the best thing to do is look at a policy at one million baht and work your way down to compare the difference in coverage for the money. Joining a Expat club and buying a policy through the club could be a benefit but if you are heathty you might think about going it alone since these Expat club usually have lots of old timers that use the policy a lot so expect the price of the policy to go up each year. I remember, I first purchased a policy through one of the clubs 2007 for a million baht coverage for a flat rate of 14,500 baht now that same policy is around 26,000 baht. If you have a kid or spouse regardless of the age it is the same. One can get the same policy for their kid for much less but a kid under 15 years of age can't buy a policy on their own. So its comes down to balance! Buying a policy from these clubs usually don't require a checkup like AIA Insurance which requires one if you are buying one of their premiums. Clubs policies still a good deal if you get in before 60 years of age.

Pre-existing condition? The fine print? In the beginning I was told by the underwriter to tell the truth on my application so I did. Nothing wrong with me except a little high Cholesterol, not taking medication, and they accepted me but made a exclusion that indicated they would not cover me for anything related to it. The language broken down basically was telling me they wouldn't cover me for any heart related illness? That meant I had coverage but only from the waist down. I still took the coverage because I wanted coverage for my son and wife so I worked out hard for six month and when I went back to the States, I got tested and had a doctor write his opinion as to my condition and his opinion that now my blood count was down. I turn the report into the underwriter and they removed the exclusion.

Basically, one has to lie about everything and if you do there are ways to determine certain conditions that existed. And If they do check and refuse you? really what are you going to do and who are you going to call " the ghostbuster " the legal system is useless most of the time for us? The fine print on policy after you pay and sign up is... if you get into a accident while driving drunk " not cover " if you get into a fight and get hurt " not cover " if you get hurt doing a dangerous sport " not cover " believe it or not cycling is a dangerous sport, jogging dangerous, so if you get hurt get home, clean up and go to the hospital and tell them you slipped and fell, make something up? As for motorbike, that is still up the air although majority of policy say no? Recently I was riding only going 10 Km/H with helmet and a car ran me off the road I went into a small ditch and flew off the bike and hit my head. The helmet cracked, I was cut in the forehead and my nose was broken thinking they wouldn't cover anything, since this was the first time in 6 years I was using the coverage I still thought based on the language they wouldn't cover to have my nose fixed, they did and I was surprise? Next year I expect a much higher premium if not for fixing my nose but I turn 61 years of age the the premium jumps since I belong in a new catagory so if I want to pay less for my coverage and being pretty fit I need to downsize my coverage.

IMHO, when you shop for insurance don't bring your Thai lady with you and don't buy a policy from a friend of hers or from her family member. Majority of them speak little English and they are taught the minmum so if you are a good consumer and start to ask questions they have no idea what they are selling and have no idea how much you need to buy except the more it cost the more commission for them. More questions means to your Thai spouse or girlfriend that her friend or family loosing more face. It just creates problems and if you don't buy plan to sleep alone on the sofa?

Got to go again... its coffee time?

Mine cover 1 million USD and incl motorbike accidents.

If this this is a Thai Health Insurance policy sold in Thailand? Please provide the name!

If this this is a Thai Health Insurance policy sold in Thailand? Please provide the name!

I got the same one . It's provided trough AA insurance from a French company called

ACS that is specialized in expat insurances for SE Asia .

http://www.acs-ami.com/en/acs/expatasia

If you are speaking of the company TNE with the logo Wealthy Healthy and Heart symbol, and is underwritten by AA Insurance in Pattaya and sold to Expats at the PattayaExpatClub, you should check your fact sheet.

I believe that is only applicable to WorldWide Energebct Assistant Coverage provided by SOS International which is written USD 1,000.000

The rest of policy for medical is if you have 1 million the health portion is paid in Baht only 1 million and not USD million which would be 30x1= 30 million. From my research no such policy exist if it does you must be rich to afford the premium and if you are indeed rich that it would be pointless to buy a policy since most rich people just pay out of pocket. Also if this is the one you have it is written specifically for Expats and it does as you quoted coverage up to 100,000 baht for murder or assault and motorbike driver or passenger. The fine print is if you are involved in a altercation you started? you are not covered! and if you get into a accident with a motorbike and have been drinking again it is not covered along with the passenger.As noted by others lie to cover and hope they don't take your blood because guess what they are checking for?

Jerry,

Thanks for the link, I will contact them and try to confirm your information. Personally I hope the both of you are right because certainly I would like to have such a policy one would be crazy not to if it is paying and covering based on USD, that would be mean I'm covered based on today money exchange rate up to 30 million baht?

Usual rules apply - insurance companies are basically bookmakers taking bets.

1. If there's a likelihood that you'll make a claim, then the odds will be short = premium prohibitively high = not worth placing the bet.

2. If you place the bet and you win (i.e. you're sick or injured or dead) then if there's any way they can get out of paying they will.

3. You won't really know whether you're covered until you make a claim.

It is a potentially huge problem area for retired (older) expats with no cover and many choose to 'self insure'.

In other words, what's new? :hello09:

I just finished reviewing the website and contacted the main office regarding my questions. Looking at their website I already have some reservation since it does say coverage is paid in USD but reviewing the benefit fact sheet although I like whenever I see the wording " Full coverage " or something to that affect certainly I like! but I also see many coverage that have limits for example Module 1A or 1B, Private room Max 50 USD = 1500 baht or option two Private room Max 250 USD = 7,500 Baht. Certainly Module 1A or !B, doesn't provide a lot of coverage one would have to opt for the greater coverage or option 2A or 2B, and even then I'm not sure for example Domiclliary Hopitalization max coverage is 1,000 USD = 30,000 baht that isn't lots of coverage even if the policy states 1 million USD.

There certainly are some contradiction in their advertising so I contacted their office as to my questions and provide some specifics to a quote for my situation. I will stop here regarding my opinions to health insurance until I hear for them. I'm also curious since there is a office in Pattaya, AA Insurance which I know well and have been there a lot in the past never seen or been given this particular company name and have a much difference policy written for the Pattaya Expat Club?

Good topic of discussion?

I'm also curious since there is a office in Pattaya, AA Insurance which I know well and have been there a lot in the past never seen or been given this particular company name and have a much difference policy written for the Pattaya Expat Club?

Good topic of discussion?

This insurance is offered true the Hua Hin office of AA and for some reason not true AA Pattaya .

565/62 Moo 10 (Next to Big C)

Nongprue, Banglamung,

Chonburi 20150

Tel: 038 415 795-6

Fax: 038 374 251

Email: [email protected]

The office is just next to Big C South Pattaya.

The premium for 2012 is 810usd 41-45 years old.

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

Archived