IGNORED

Health Insurance In Thailand.

htrdmx

Depending on the response from the link you gave me. I will take the time to head down to the AA Office in Pattaya along with the printout from the link. Maybe I can get a explanation of the policy and if everything that is being given on the webpage is correct I will try to fine a way to purchase it if the cost is reasonable maybe through their main office or independently or even take a trip up to Hua Hin AA office and get it if possible?

Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

565/62 Moo 10 (Next to Big C)

Nongprue, Banglamung,

Chonburi 20150

Tel: 038 415 795-6

Fax: 038 374 251

Email: [email protected]

The office is just next to Big C South Pattaya.

I am aware of their office, but as Jerry noted this particular policy that is being offered to Expat in Hua Hin isn't being offered to Expat in Pattaya from the AA office who underwrites for the PattayaExpatClub? I will head down there tomorrow and see for myself.

I am sorry what is different from expats in Pattaya and Hua Hin?

They offer you the same policy in Pattaya.

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

O.K.

First I like to directly thank, Crazyman, Jesper and Jerry for their response and leading me to the insurance ACS.

I went down as the AA Office open this morning to get the answers and possible facts to verifty what I was seeing on the website as given to me by Jerry.

I spoke to the owner of AA Insurance personally and ask my questions.

A. Do they sell this policy in Pattaya? Yes?

B. Why is it then the Pattaya Expat Club doesn't offer it to their members instead of the current one being offered the few years? The impression I got was that it has to do more with politics and the inability of lowering the premium enough so the members would switch.

C. In all my research the last few years why didn't I hear about ACS before? The owner has spoken several time the last few years at the club but to be honest I haven't been there much and missed his speeches.

D. Am I reading the policy correctly and what is the catch regarding coverage in USD. Is it paying in Baht or USD? Because if we are truly talking about USD,,, a 1 million USD policy translate into Thai Baht is coverage for 30,000,000 million baht based on today's exchange rate. I'm covered 30,000,000 million baht for hospitalization compare to what I have now with Bupa 1 Million baht? Yes! covered to USD!

So far I'm smiling but living here I'm always looking over my shoulder and on guard for good reason. But so far so good!

Although, the policy coverage is slightly different than what I'm use too and I haven't seen the fine print or the application questions and most important I'm turning 61 years of age next month I'm concerned I might not be accepted since most of the companies required you to get in before sixty. ACS, will take my application until 64 years of age! Again so far so good?

I will not go through what the company offers as provided by Jerry in his post near the end of page two, but as indicated before insurance in Thailand is somewhat ALA CARTE. In general Module 2, offers the full package, I will stick with Module 1, which is comparable to what most expat purchase due to price and coverage.

The comparisions I will make now is the difference between coverage for 1 million Baht of coverage compare to 15 million and 30 million baht worth of coverage by ASC. Inpatient Only!

Example: Pattaya Expat Club policy written by AA Insurance, for 1 million or 1.5 million BAHT coverage range between 25,000 to 32,000 Baht (USD= 750/960) One can get the actual policy and price on their expat website.

BUPA: Based on Age! 61 years of age for 1 million baht coverage is near 75,000 baht = USD $2,500

ACS: Module 1c, 500,000 USD = 15,000,00 million baht premium for 2012 age 61-65 = $1,541.00 = 46,230 baht

Module 1b 1,000,000 USD = 30,000,000 Million Baht, premium for 201 age 61-65 = $1,706.00 = 51,180 baht

Based on everything I've seen and heard and although I haven't seen the actual policy handbood I pretty satisfied as to what I might get, choice is for less money I'm getting 14 million baht more coverage and if I spend another 100 bucks more I will be getting 29 million baht coverage. What this all mean for a old fart like me is if I need hospitaliztion long term I won't fine myself being put in the back of a pickup truck heading down to Chon Buri provincial hospital to die?

Policy are usually written from January to January, otherwise they are proated. This works out fine for me since my Bupa expires in March. Signng up end of December gives me a overlaping coverage since most new policy has a 30 day waiting period.

Final thoughts. This forum and topic has provided me with new information and certainly open my eyes and given me greater security and peace of mind since I have horror stories thru being screwed by other providers. I have tremendous doubts regarding medical being provided in Thailand that it is truly between the have's and have not's? That the majority of private hospital like BPH, have quotas to pay for all the fancy stuff. The simple stuff they seem to have the doctors or technology to attract foreigners to pay for all the glidder but what if I get sick with some unknow type of illness, I have my doubts. America and the western world certainly have the best medical care.. In the U.S. I can go into any major city there is dozen of medical buildings with doctors specialize in every know problem or disease here where? You can barely find a doctor in private practice they all work for these fancy private hospitals. It's all about money and charging a Expat more for the same service a Thai national gets.

To get the module coverage which will cover you for dental, eye, doctors outpatient etc etc.. for a 61 year guy like me is between USD $4,000/4,500.00 Like most adviser here would tell you, take the extra savings and create a Health care fund, like putting the extra money in a box to be used to see a doctor for simple things. Each year I put away 30,000 baht in a rainy day fund and I barely even touch that after 4 years I nearly saved 100,000 baht, I tell my wife to use that to keep you going along with the other money if something happens to me.

Well, fellas don't want to take anymore of your time. Once I sign up in Janaury and get the handbook I will report back.. hopefull I make the right decision since if I leave Bupa they will not take me back since I'm over the age! Discrimination is here in Thailand and alive!

Thanks everyone for the lead to ACS, and thanks to AA Insurance nearly Big C.. Pattaya Tai/Sukhumvit for all the helpful information!

I am sorry what is different from expats in Pattaya and Hua Hin?

They offer you the same policy in Pattaya.

I'm told the expats in Hua Hin are high-so types while those in pattaya are nothing but scum?

I'm told the expats in Hua Hin are high-so types while those in pattaya are nothing but scum?

Ok...

Thanks for taking your time to make the investigation so it's more easy for future expats because its really not that easy to find the right insurance that fit your needs.

Btw when you have paid the premium you are fully coverd no waiting period.

[email protected]

Give this guy a mail . He works for AA Hua Hin but is living in Pattaya and is willing to come to your house/condo to explain all the ins and outs of the policy .

Ok...

Thanks for taking your time to make the investigation so it's more easy for future expats because its really not that easy to find the right insurance that fit your needs.

Btw when you have paid the premium you are fully coverd no waiting period.

I was told by the owner that 30 days wait, but I hope I'm wrong again. When you apply for your insurance did they come back with any pre-condition regarding your coverage. A few years ago I was thinking of changing my coverage to a company LMG, their fine print was a few pre-condition for me regarding prostate etc. not being covered for someone my age for something like 2 years, then they came with a condition for my son that they would cover him for only 75% and no promise thereafter they would pay 100% later. The reason is that the last two years he was admitted to the hospital for a high fever which they always say ' we think he has Dengue Fever " I have read up on Dengue and both occasion didn't have any of the signs but what do say no give me some meds and we go home. I would be sleeping on the sofa for years? Each time after tests no just a fever or ate something wrong.

I told LMG, I would past unless you gave me in writing he would be cover for 100% the 2nd year, this is your system and being a large insurance corporation you can change the system of these hospital omiting patients with just a scratch?

Jesper,

Any fine print regarding whether they can cancel you after a number of years of coverage? There are a number that would cancel you if you use the policy too much!

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since we have any input about this topic so i just want to give a little info.

I have often been thinking about how much is the price is for a private room since our policy cover max 2500 USD.So i send an e-mail to BPH and got this reply.

I have also been asking the same question to PMH but they never reply so if any of you know the room rates there it would be great to post them...Thanks

Warm greetings from Bangkok Hospital Pattaya!

Thank you very much for your interest in our medical services.

Further to your inquiry, please find the enclosed details in regards to our room rates. Thank you.

Inpatient Ward Room Rate

Which companies provide health insurance in LOS for those over 65?

citi bank platinuim which i just googled gives you 6 months insurance covered by zurich for a return ticket or 30 days one way,ill have to double check for my aussie commonwealth bank card platinuim card which i thought was 1 year as well,so where both wrong

cheers

Coverage is only good for 3 months out of the country as I just tried to claim

• 3 weeks later...

expats meeting on sundays has a provider that offers comprehensive insurance up to age 65 at 18,000 baht per year. two providers in that range.

hospital bills are not always an option that you choose

I know a guy who was taken to a Bangkok hospital in a coma. the fees hit 5 million baht before he even woke up.............

I have high health cover with accident insurance combined. The excess, the amount I have to pay, is the same as the cost of an air ticket home.

I hear another option is to have two policies. The first expensive similar to mine above ( whole of life fixed premium, annual renewable)and a second much smaller  maybe one year policy maybe not renewable not sure but basicly to cover the excess. So at worst you become uninsurable for renewing the small one but your biggy is in place to cover it.

• 3 weeks later...

I came home yesterday after i was admitted to BHP for 4 days and want to share my experience with my Isurance Company ACS.

I was admitted with a unbearable abdominal pain i have had problems with my stomac for awhile but i was just thinking i will dissapear again but i became worse and Friday i could not tahe the pain anymore and i had also a little blood in my vomit so my gf called an ambulance and off to BHP.

After examination in the emegency room and a CT-Scanning i was told that there was some abnormal in my abdomen and in my colon so they wanted to do a colonoscopy and gastroscopy so waiting for my Insurance to make the GOP i was taking to the ward and my private room (i did pay a 20.000thb deposit) later when ACS had made the GOP the doctor came and told me the y would do the colonoscopy/gastroscopy the following morning.

They found that i had a small bleeding from an ulcer and that i had 2 large polyps in my colon witch she removed and sending to the pathologist to see if they have any cancer cells and have to come back next week for the answer. (finger crossed)

What i am trying to say here is that ACS took very good care of the whole situation and was fast in the GOP and i got my 20.000thb back at the chashier when i was discharged.

So if any expats is looking for a good health Insurance the they should go the AA brokers and have a talk.

The total cost was 163.900 thb.

Yes, it does in SEA up to 7 weeks of travel if i remember correct.

Sorry the anual premium is 921 USD not 912. For age 41-45

• 4 weeks later...

[email protected]

Give this guy a mail . He works for AA Hua Hin but is living in Pattaya and is willing to come to your house/condo to explain all the ins and outs of the policy .

Thanks for the email info... sent off a request for some assistance.

Men lose a lot of money chasing women, but seldom lose women while chasing money.

• 1 month later...

So have seriously been considering retiring outside the USA within the next ten years. I am already taking the steps to purchase a condo in Bang Saray. I was curious If you are able to purchase some sort of Thai health insurance plan. What is the cost yearly or monthly?

if you join a  EX-PATS club in pattaya you can get group health insc at a very good rate  and no tricks they meet every SUNDAY at 10am  google pattayacityexpats.  for info.

I am actually really interested in this subject because I will hopefully retire to LOS but rather than real factual information it descended into a "bunfight" that got boring by countermanding information posted as who knew the most, very sad. I have found a UK provided policy that will cover me that I can afford, so it may be a kop out but I could not do with trawling through the diatribe in this post.

Archived