Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Russians overtaken Phuket and behaving bad or?

I have a friend who just returned from a 3 weeks holiday in Phuket. He stayed in Kata but also visited Patong and Karong. Told me that the whole island has been overtaken by russians and that they do not behave very well.

He even told me that a lot of shops have put up signs saying "NO RUSSIANS". He also told me that they treated the people selling beer and other stuff at the beach very bad, and the ones taking care of the sunbeds actually refused the russians who then just had to stand up in the sun 555

Anybody here able to confirm this?

Everyone has the right to my opinion

No idea! but in the last decade or so, there are plenty of other countries that now make the English look like classy and sophistocated people abroad!

I never, ever, ever, thought I would be able to say that!

No idea! but in the last decade or so, there are plenty of other countries that now make the English look like classy and sophistocated people abroad!

I never, ever, ever, thought I would be able to say that!

:LMFAO::Good_One: You are right! But it just proves that how bad you might be there will always be someone who is worse...555

I see tons of Russians, Russian restaurants and hangouts, Russian signs, but they all seem to be quiet and do their own family thing.

I don't see where this perception of Russians is coming from.

British are by far the loudest and rudest.

Well 0069, then tell your friend, that he doesn't know what he's talking about (ellers gør jeg det gerne). It is not all that bad and I haven't seen the signs saying - No Russians. There is for sure, more and more Russians coming to Phuket and especially Patong and Karon have seen a rise the last couple of years. We've also seen a bit more Indians, Arabs and Aussies and less Scndinavians !!!

Other destinations like Kata, Kamala, Bang Tao, Surin and Mai Khao all have more and more Russians, but this far from the island has been taken over by the Russians.

I have a shop in Patong and we have everyday Russians coming. You can often tell from a distance when it is a Russian. They have this serious and hard look on their face. They behave nice, mostly just looking around and don't say much. Often they try to keep a bit of distance to you ..... Suddenly you have the odd one. Talkative and spending money like no tomorrow....

I take that most, but not all, Russians don't speak English or only speak a little bit and are a very shy about showing their lack of language skills. Some Russians really try it hard and I daily I have many good and funny experiences with them. An ice-breaker is, if you can say a few words in Russian. This is also valid if you meet them in the bar, on the beach or anywhere else.

To me it seems that many people, to some degree, have something against Russians, like many have something against Indians, Frenchs, Israelis, Arabs or maybe even Germans and Danish, but hey ! Doesn't it shows how little we understand about eachothers and how fast we are to judge others, simply by what other have told us or what we have read in the papers. A little basic human understanding always helps to understand "the others".

I also haven't heard anything about problems with the sun chairs or at the rude Russians in the bars (know a few bar owners in Patong and they seem happy).

Z

Well 0069, then tell your friend, that he doesn't know what he's talking about (ellers gør jeg det gerne). It is not all that bad and I haven't seen the signs saying - No Russians. There is for sure, more and more Russians coming to Phuket and especially Patong and Karon have seen a rise the last couple of years. We've also seen a bit more Indians, Arabs and Aussies and less Scndinavians !!!

Other destinations like Kata, Kamala, Bang Tao, Surin and Mai Khao all have more and more Russians, but this far from the island has been taken over by the Russians.

I have a shop in Patong and we have everyday Russians coming. You can often tell from a distance when it is a Russian. They have this serious and hard look on their face. They behave nice, mostly just looking around and don't say much. Often they try to keep a bit of distance to you ..... Suddenly you have the odd one. Talkative and spending money like no tomorrow....

I take that most, but not all, Russians don't speak English or only speak a little bit and are a very shy about showing their lack of language skills. Some Russians really try it hard and I daily I have many good and funny experiences with them. An ice-breaker is, if you can say a few words in Russian. This is also valid if you meet them in the bar, on the beach or anywhere else.

To me it seems that many people, to some degree, have something against Russians, like many have something against Indians, Frenchs, Israelis, Arabs or maybe even Germans and Danish, but hey ! Doesn't it shows how little we understand about eachothers and how fast we are to judge others, simply by what other have told us or what we have read in the papers. A little basic human understanding always helps to understand "the others".

I also haven't heard anything about problems with the sun chairs or at the rude Russians in the bars (know a few bar owners in Patong and they seem happy).

Z

Thanks a lot for your detailled reply. As i wrote it is second hand information so i could only write what he told me and he even stated that he would propably not go back to Phuket again (he has been there several times before) but is now thinking about Krabi, Koh Samui or Koh Chang. I will tell him what you wrote, and i do not think i will have any problems in returning even if Phuket is only no 3 on my list after Patts and Bangers.

Another thing is that if it is him not liking russians i dont beleive he will be able to avoid them by going to the other places mentioned - i think they are going to all the popular places in LOS just as people of any other nationality.

:LMFAO::Good_One: You are right! But it just proves that how bad you might be there will always be someone who is worse...555

How bad I might be! I wasnt including myself in this analysis :GoldenSmile1: Just last week a stranger told me they thought I was the most polite tattooed person they had ever met. I hope it was a compliment!

Regarding Russians, I may add I have been to Moscow twice and I dont remember any particularly bad behaviour. People we met were quite friendly and helpful in fact.Countries should not be judged on how a few idiots behave abroad. It doesnt mean everybody is like it.

The BMs comment above about the British being the loudest and rudest. Quite possible in some circumstances but a bit of a generalisation. Iv seen many nationalities behave shockingly, Be they, British, American, or whatever.

Just last week a stranger told me they thought I was the most polite tattooed person they had ever met.

555 then they have not yet met the Ghost !!!

I see tons of Russians, Russian restaurants and hangouts, Russian signs, but they all seem to be quiet and do their own family thing.

I don't see where this perception of Russians is coming from.

British are by far the loudest and rudest.

YANKS are known to be obnoxius (see how easy it is to flame another country)

Just got back from Karon, Phuket a week ago and yes it was definately noticeable the amount of Russians around. One BG I was talking to commented they generally buy their beer at 7/11, drink it in the loom, and have sex on the beach... Yes, they look "hard" but I think a lot of that is down to the language barrier and the culture they come from.

The guesthouse I stayed in, only has 4 rooms, and in one of them was a Russian chap who is best described as a Russian Benny Hill. He was hilarious, although he could speak some English. Day 1 he took 1 girl upstairs, Day 2 - two girls, Day 3 - three, and Day 4 - four... what a champion! He was always up for a beer (at the bar) and a good laugh. Between him, the yank, the brit and myself we had an absolute ball - although old ruski was often chasing tail.

There's good and bad everywhere I guess, and just like Aussies, Brits, Yanks and anyone else, the ones who behave like twats make a name for the rest...

Red

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." - Dean Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Patong in October and didnt really notice any poor behavior by Russians at all. I agree with the Redbaron, all countries have a bad element that can spoil the reputation for all.

Must say my experience of Russians has not been that which is portrayed in some threads on this board, infact I know one Russian girl who is an absolutely delightful person. I have even found many of them to be polite and respectful...Damn I have had far more problems with Brits than most other nations especially when flying, or in airports (Inspite of appearances, I am a proud Englishman) All this negative stereotyping says so much more about the ones judging than those they judge.

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

Must say my experience of Russians has not been that which is portrayed in some threads on this board, infact I know one Russian girl who is an absolutely delightful person. I have even found many of them to be polite and respectful...Damn I have had far more problems with Brits than most other nations especially when flying, or in airports (Inspite of appearances, I am a proud Englishman) All this negative stereotyping says so much more about the ones judging than those they judge.

Agreed

Have never experienced any bad behaviour from Russian Tourists toward my good self. Plus have to tip my hat to their women, as evidenced by the proliferation of furtive photography threads on this forum.

Was surprised to find that more than a few of them speak enough English to communicate.

The lack of smile thing IMHO is to do with a well publicised belief on their part that those who smile continuously exhibit a sign of Idiocy.

Take from that what you will, but am wondering whether some Nationalistic Mongers may resent the influx of a different Tourist group?

We don't own the place, you know, we have to roll with the economic tide, as long as the changing Demographic doesn't pit itself against you and threaten your good time.

Great evolution when this is true!

Last trip to pattaya i made a day trip to koh larn and was very frustrated with the load of russians and especially the way they behave overthere. Arrogant and totally disrespectfull towards Thais and other nationalities!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the Russians in Pattaya come from the East of Russia, for many of them it is their first time abroad and they make many mistakes. Most of the Russians in Phuket come from Moscow or Saint-Petersburg, they speak english better and they are usually friendly to other nationalities

I am not going to comment... i have worked for some russians in the past and they are Nice people.....!!

just dont F*ck with them on buisness...!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems that my friend who told me the story is not all wrong.

Just read an article in a danish newspaper telling the same story ( and that it also in some places applied to israelies). The interviewed some bar/hotelowners that made the same statement - Russians not welcome. They do not behave good, have a bad attitude and we do not want them on our premises.

As a Danish bar/hotelowner said - it might their first trip abroad, so they simply do not know how to behave, and they will be looked down at from the Thais as good behaviour is mandatory in LOS. The article included one picture which i attach to this post.

RussiansPhuketTCA_w_636372y.jpg

Sorry 0069, but I live and work in Patong and I haven't seen this stupid sign anywhere around. This picture could be taken everywhere. I have read the same story and the two journalist are not really keen on Thailand in general. Out of the last 7 stories from them, there is only one who is a bit positive the rest is garbish and on two occasions, I wrote back to them as they had so-called facts about Thailand all wrong.

To say this in Danish - De er ikke de skarpeste knive i skuffen eller den hurtigste knallert på molen.

Most of the comments from the other readers of the story is also very negative and what a shame that is. To me it tells more about the readers than the Russians.

I know a lot of business owners who have small and/or big hotels, guest houses, bars, restaurants, dive centers, massage shops and others all over southern Thailand (include me) and they really don't complain about the Russians but they adapt to the changes that is coming. The Russians are here but I can't really recognize things from your first post or the article from the Danish magazine.

Z

Sorry 0069, but I live and work in Patong and I haven't seen this stupid sign anywhere around. This picture could be taken everywhere.

Not 'everywhere'. It's on a beach & there is a sign in Thai above it. :LOL2:

I wonder why the sign is in English? The Russians wouldn't be able to read it. :Think1:

sgu_banner.gif

• 4 months later...

I was in Phuket earlier in the year. I stayed in a Scandinavian guiesthouse and also rented a bike. Both establishments told me they don't do business with Russians, and the brother of the guesthouse owner is the manager of a 5* hotel which doesn't accept Russians.

I asked why and they said there were direct budget airlines to Phuket from Russia bringing in first-timers who apparently go overboard during their 1 week of freedom per year. Some of the hotel rooms were trashed as if done by a 1960s rock star.

I think it's the same as the Balerics and Costas in Spain being overrun with drunk Brits going wild.

I wouldn't be surprised if the journalist's put the sign up just for the photo. Never known a Thai who used a plural in speech or writing.

The sign would more likely read something like 'Russia no welcum"

Work the curse of the drinking classes. - Oscar Wilde

Agree with Andy there. No way a Thai used the word prohibited let alone spelt it correctly. I have travelled to Phuket on numerous occasions and other than they look bloody miserable the Russians pretty much keep to themselves. Obnoxious fuckers they can be to other tourists pushing in lines etc and generally poor decorum but the Thais will take coin from anyone. They don't discriminate. Any of those signs and businesses not wanting Russian custom are more likely Farang owned than Thai. A baht is a baht to a Thai and they don't care who gives it to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not say that is a Russians... Moreover, they are divided into two categories:

- those who travel by the touristic packages - mostly sitting in a hotels and as a way to say ... they a "Cheap Charles", they just stare and do not pay extra - AND YES this type are mostly savages.

- those who travel by themselves - mostly they are ok, speak English well and respected local orders. BUT this category are the smallest one...

Now, when I walk in the afternoon and evening for Beach Road on Patong I almost did not hear Russian speech, really.

But if you want to talk about who overtaken Phuket, you better to look on China and Indians... Man! So many of them are now in Patong!

The China guys are so bossy, as the whole world are belong to them some sort... Or it just my imagination...

But the Indian are worst for my point of view - litter wherever they are located, they do not take off their slippers anywhere, do not respect other nations/peoples (I stand in line in McDonalds waiting with other peoples and suddenly Indian girl came with her ​​father and they went forward as if there are no line at all), do lot of noise and smell strange ...

a girl i know has a young russian boyfriend. he is as nice a bloke as you could meet...

No he doesn't smile all the time but you get used to that.

Archived