IGNORED

Smoking Ban

shergar

So you think your right to have a smoke with your beer is more important than my right to have a beer and not have to breath cigarette smoke, or an employees right not to have to breath second hand smoke all day every day?

I would expect a response like that from you

Aka Laafa

The present is all you own. The past a golden link. Go cruising now my brother, it's later than you think

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longagoandfaraway

• BassGod

• bibzo

• Franky

I've seen the same people who throw a total fit, when someone lights up a cigarette 20 feet away from them.....then fly across the room to suck down a big hit off of a fat splif (pot cigarette) and hold the smoke in their lungs until they turn red faced.

They also have no apology of lighting up a fat splif in a crowded room, and blowing the illegal dope in your face.

These same people will threaten to kill you if you smoke a cigarette in the same room! 30 feet away.....makes me laugh!

Edited by Franky

So you think your right to have a smoke with your beer is more important than my right to have a beer and not have to breath cigarette smoke, or an employees right not to have to breath second hand smoke all day every day?

I did not think about the employees, in that sense I can see your point. The only rebuttel is that they chose to work in that environment when it was a smoky establishment. If it was formerly a smoke-free environment and then it suddenly was made a smoking bar then I would definetly agree. However bars have always been smoky and those that choose to work in those bars knew that, unhealthy or not.

How on earth did my generation ever survive.....no bicycle helmets, no auto seat belts, mom and pop both blowin cigarette smoke in our faces 24/7, no skateboard pads, no baseball batters helmets, no motorcycle helmets......My god its a miracle we ever lived past our teens. :Raspberry6:

And they say this next generation of Americans will now die at a younger age than their parents (us)...why?

Because they are fat, obese... and don't run and play like we did.....go figure!....by the time they find all the friggen helmets and pads its too dark to play.

Edited by Franky

BassGod, you are trying to reason with drug addicts. Good luck with that.

It's pretty simple really, if you don't think the bar you visit is well ventilated, go to another, we all have choices

I prefer to have the choice of not being forced to breath Poison in a bar. but again that isn't the point, non smoking laws are designed to protect the employees

Glad I didn't dissapoint.

I've seen the same people who throw a total fit, when someone lights up a cigarette 20 feet away from them.....then fly across the room to suck down a big hit off of a fat splif (pot cigarette) and hold the smoke in their lungs until they turn red faced.

They also have no apology of lighting up a fat splif in a crowded room, and blowing the illegal dope in your face.

These same people will threaten to kill you if you smoke a cigarette in the same room! 30 feet away.....makes me laugh!

Sounds like you know some odd people.

I did not think about the employees, in that sense I can see your point. The only rebuttel is that they chose to work in that environment when it was a smoky establishment. If it was formerly a smoke-free environment and then it suddenly was made a smoking bar then I would definetly agree. However bars have always been smoky and those that choose to work in those bars knew that, unhealthy or not.

Not everyone has the option to be choosy about employment.

How on earth did my generation ever survive.....no bicycle helmets, no auto seat belts, mom and pop both blowin cigarette smoke in our faces 24/7,

and the cancer rate keeps going up

BassGod, you are trying to reason with drug addicts. Good luck with that.

Good point, why do I bother.

I have a question for you guys that think it's ok to impose your habits on other people. Do you think it's ok to smoke in elevators? If not why?

Smoking is a stupid thing to do but freedom is all about people having the right to make stupid decisions and I'm all for it. The problem comes when your freedom infringes on my freedom. Who has the stronger case? The person who chooses to kill themself slowly and inflict other people with the toxic runoff or the person that doesn't want to have to breath the left over crap off the end of your cigarette or out of your lungs?

Edited by BassGod

And think of the poor girls they got to put-up with your toxic breathe.

Should charge extra

And think of the poor girls they got to put-up with your toxic breathe.

Should charge extra

The sad thing is that a lot of them get so used to the second hand smoke that they get addicted too and start up the habit themselves.

I have the right to shit my pants any place I feel like it. If don't like the smell of my shit go to another bar.

Everyone has the right to make themselves smell like a fuckin ashtray. You don't have right to make me smell like one.

I smoke, but I think I'm considerate about it. I only smoke outdoors. Society has regulated this adjustment and I've learnedto live with it...however I think that some anti-smoking laws are a little over the top, e.g. Santa Monica, California prohibits smoking at the beach and in all the parks. Calibasses, California prohibits smoking in your own vehicle if you're driving down a government-owned street. If you're going to that extreme to prevent smoking, maybe they should just make smoking illegal.I smoke, but I think I'm considerate about it. I only smoke outdoors. Society has regulated this adjustment and I've learnedto live with it...however I think that some anti-smoking laws are a little over the top, e.g. Santa Monica, California prohibitssmoking at the beach and in all the parks. Calibasses, California prohibits smoking in your own vehicle if you're driving downa government-owned street.If you're going to that extreme to prevent smoking, maybe they should just make smoking illegal.

Edited by conextim

TRUST NO BITCH

ATTENTION PATTAYA ADDICTS MODERATORS. To ensure that we don't offend certain people again can you please ensure that all discussions about smoking be banned from this board. :10:

Testicles

I really think people who don't like other people smoking ought to get a friggin life

Aka Laafa

The present is all you own. The past a golden link. Go cruising now my brother, it's later than you think

I smoke, but I think I'm considerate about it. I only smoke outdoors. Society has regulated this adjustment and I've learnedto live with it...however I think that some anti-smoking laws are a little over the top, e.g. Santa Monica, California prohibits smoking at the beach and in all the parks. Calibasses, California prohibits smoking in your own vehicle if you're driving down a government-owned street. If you're going to that extreme to prevent smoking, maybe they should just make smoking illegal.I smoke, but I think I'm considerate about it. I only smoke outdoors. Society has regulated this adjustment and I've learnedto live with it...however I think that some anti-smoking laws are a little over the top, e.g. Santa Monica, California prohibitssmoking at the beach and in all the parks. Calibasses, California prohibits smoking in your own vehicle if you're driving downa government-owned street.If you're going to that extreme to prevent smoking, maybe they should just make smoking illegal.

I'd rather not see a beach, or a park, filled with cigarette butts given the choice.

I really think people who don't like other people smoking ought to get a friggin life

I really think people that think they have the right to fill public places with toxic fumes ought to get some basic sense.

Again you seem to ignore the fact that smoking bans are generally put in place for the protection of the employees.

Edited by BassGod

I'd rather not see a beach, or a park, filled with cigarette butts given the choice.

I really think people that think they have the right to fill public places with toxic fumes ought to get some basic sense.

Again you seem to ignore the fact that smoking bans are generally put in place for the protection of the employees.

The only thing toxic is what's coming out of your mouth, he he he :P

Aka Laafa

Just air, I don't chose to expose people to known carcinogens.

Hot air :D

Aka Laafa

I quit smoking about a year ago.....other people smoking around me, doesn't bother me in the least. However, any government, whether its the Thais or my own Government, making up more laws, and regulations to rule my life, is to be discouraged.

That BS about second hand smoke is horse hockey!.....if there is too much smoke in a building, get out of the building....maybe its on Fire!... :D

I don't need some law, telling me there is too much smoke in a room. You have a brain, use your own god given common sense.....or do you want the Government to figure that out for you?

What's NEXT....

*Drinking hard liqueur?

*Drinking more than 3 beers?

*A real ban on prostitution?

*A cerfew?

Be very careful, what you want your Government/ or anybody else's government,to protect you from!....very careful!.....TOO MUCH SMOKE in the room, get up and leave!.

In a free capitalist economy, if enough people leave, the Bar Owner will install adequate ventilation.

Let free market capitalism rule the day...NOT THE FRIGGEN GOVERNMENT!

This ban is so the BiB can pocket your money.....its always about money!

That was worth reading 'Franky' . Thanks for the voice of reason at last! :D

That was worth reading 'Franky' . Thanks for the voice of reason at last! :D

Franky, that's the problem, they don't have any common sense,

It's all about an agenda

Aka Laafa

:D

Be careful, you'll wear it out :D

Aka Laafa

"I'd rather not see a beach, or a park, filled with cigarette butts given the choice."

BG thats not a smoking issue, thats about littering. Beaches & parks etc get covered in crisp packets, sweet wrappers etc and I dont want to ban eating.

A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having fun.

This is a topic that seems to cause polarised "debates" all over the place as more and more countries ban it.

As a heavy long-time smoker I have no doubt I am biased but I'm getting pissed off with this shit. The arguments go round in circles "you don't have the right to make me smell and breath in your toxic", "I have a choice to use a legal substance", "health affects of second hand smoke", "butts all over the place" - not necessarily a bad thing depending on the butt ;), "cost to the health system" and on it goes.

I am also a considerate smoker (there are actually some of us around!). I don't smoke in the middle of people (I tend to head to the outer edges of the group if I want a ciggie), I wouldn't dream of lighting up in a restaurant or other place people are eating, I don't throw my butts on the ground (I even take an "ashtray" to the beach), I hold my ciggie behind me or move downwind of a person who I'm talking to whether they are non smokers or not, I don't blow smoke in anyones face etc.

The issue of butts all over the place including beaches is an enforcement issue - virtually all places in the world have laws against littering, why don't local councils employ more people to enforce the law against inconsiderate people rather than a blanket ban (I know some farangs have been on the wrong side of it in LOS)?

The issue of smoking in restaurants - same same, enforce the law, and if no law exists legislate (I don't know any smokers that have an issue with no smoking in these situations).

The issue of costs to the public health system is a furphy, the revenue from tobacco is more than the costs to the system (last figures I saw for the UK for example was about 3-4 times the cost to the health system which explains why such a "disgusting/deadly/dangerous etc." past time has not been made illegal - I for one would be more than happy to pop in to the local chemist for my fix of free cigarettes along with the people waiting for their methodone if the government made it illegal).

The issue of smelling/breathing toxic waste comes down to a mixture of choice and legislation - there where non smoking venues in Australia prior to the blanket ban which where viable businesses, there are air conditioning systems that have been tested with results that the air in the venue was actually cleaner than out in the streets, why not legislate that these systems be installed in all clubs/pubs? what's wrong with having non-smoking areas designated in pubs and clubs therefore, both sides have a choice?

The issue of staff in establishments is a difficult one in certain areas - as mentioned in previous posts,some people don't have the luxury of refusing to work in smoke filled bars but then again, if the vocal anti-smokers vote with their feet and only frequent non-smoking venues more would open, the dollar talks. Therefore, non-smoking staff can find non-smoking venues to work and smoking staff can continue to enjoy their work while having a quick smoke break (with the blanket ban as it is now in Australia, smoking bar staff are having a hard time in that they are not able to just pop around the front of the bar they have to go outside which more than a few employers are cracking down on).

As I said, I believe myself to be a considerate smoker and I have no issues with a level of bans, enforcements of existing laws, and the right of non-smokers to enjoy smoke free areas. Question is, where does this over legislation (IMHO) stop? The blanket ban in Victoria started in winter therefore, when I need a fix for my habit I have been forced out into, at times, the cold wind and rainy beer garden - what will happen when summer kicks in? The anti-smoking lobby are already making noises about banning smoking in even more place so when the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day will they stay inside the warm bar while I enjoy a ciggie in the beer garden or will they get pissed off and ban smoking there too as they "have the right to sit in the sun without filthy smokers ruining it"?

Bottom line is it's a legal substance that many people still enjoy so what's wrong with capitalism at it's best and letting market forces decide? There where a number of establishments that had to close when the bans took affect in Australia thereby throwing more people out of work - not much hope for cigar bars when there's a blanket no smoking policy!

Edited by Ru4Real