Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Smoking Ban

shergar

The following is from the Nation. Potential bad news for us guys that like a smoke (cigarette, not a bj for you dirty mided guys. I wonder if the laws will be imposed??

But Dr Seri Hongyok, a deputy head of the Department of Disease Control, said patrons of karaoke bars, pubs, nightclubs and cafes would still be allowed to smoke in designated areas.

"Smoking will be barred only in air-conditioned areas or in other public places where non-smokers are."

The department would enforce a regulation under which violators would face fines up to Bt20,000.

He said there were now 10 countries that impose no-smoking rules in night entertainment venues.

Seri said the rule was needed to cope with new marketing strategies employed by tobacco companies to lure more young people to smoke, as there were about 200,000 new smokers every year.

A study by the department found the number of woman smokers aged 15-24 had risen to third place on a top-10 ranking of smokers in Thailand, he said.

The number of night entertainment venues, meanwhile, has risen to 6,853 last year from 5,249 in 2005.

Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said.

The Nation

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longagoandfaraway

• BassGod

• bibzo

• Franky

I am all for this "No Smoking" ban 100%, it was only this dinner time, when i am sat there having a full English Breakfast, and the guy next to me sparks up his cigarette, when all of a sudden the rotating fan blows his ash allover my food, fucking annoyed is an understatement in terms ? :Oops1:

good, i hate smelling like cigars/cigarettes after i leave a nightspot even though i dont smoke

Whats really bad is visiting asia for short excursions. I've got so used to smoking bans in the US, that it makes it 10 times worse now when you enter an area where smoking is allowed. Hell, when I started work in an office 20 years ago, everyone smoked at their desk in their cubicle, and it never bothered me. A haze existed over the cube level that never went away. Now I go crazy when someone lights up (unless it is me with a cigar :-)

The following is from the Nation. Potential bad news for us guys that like a smoke (cigarette, not a bj for you dirty mided guys. I wonder if the laws will be imposed??

But Dr Seri Hongyok, a deputy head of the Department of Disease Control, said patrons of karaoke bars, pubs, nightclubs and cafes would still be allowed to smoke in designated areas.

"Smoking will be barred only in air-conditioned areas or in other public places where non-smokers are."

The department would enforce a regulation under which violators would face fines up to Bt20,000.

He said there were now 10 countries that impose no-smoking rules in night entertainment venues.

Seri said the rule was needed to cope with new marketing strategies employed by tobacco companies to lure more young people to smoke, as there were about 200,000 new smokers every year.

A study by the department found the number of woman smokers aged 15-24 had risen to third place on a top-10 ranking of smokers in Thailand, he said.

The number of night entertainment venues, meanwhile, has risen to 6,853 last year from 5,249 in 2005.

Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said.

The Nation

"designated areas in bars"?

Aka Laafa

The present is all you own. The past a golden link. Go cruising now my brother, it's later than you think

I can't smoke in a bar at home and now I can't smoke in Thailand WTF!

The problem I see is, what about the people in bars who want to smoke, don't they have a right? What I'm hearing about Thailand's polution, I don't believe this is a legitimate issue, in regards to anyone's health.

Aka Laafa

The present is all you own. The past a golden link. Go cruising now my brother, it's later than you think

I can only hope that Thailand does the same as UK and bans smoking inside building. I walked into an Irish pub recently in Phuket all ready to have a slap up breakfast, but as soon as I walked in I could smell the smoke from a couple in the corner. Turned around and walked out!

"A man does what he can until his destiny is revealed"

There's light at the end of this long tunnel

We all know the dangers of smokeing. if someone wishes to smoke o.k. as long as it is not an inclosed space the threat is mitigated(second hand smoke is an issue only if in an inclosed area look it up). If someone wants to kill themselves go for it I am not their mother/father. Yes I am a former smoker I still smoke when on holiday. smoking bothers me on occasion, if someone is smoking when trying to eat or enjoy the atmosphere of an environment I ask them to quit or move along. it has not been an issue, but then I do my best to be curteous. Food for thought

28278.png

My view is let people smoke !! but please don't smoke in my face !! smokers > Show some respect, show some discipline ?

If i am having a meal or if i am traveling on a bus, i do not want to be breathing your fumes down my lungs "Thank you"

And before all you "Smokers" come on here and start spouting about car fumes ETC, remember this, it will not belong before the "EAST catches up with the "WEST"

But for now i, dont want your lung cancer catching up with me !! :WTF1::D:Clap7: (cue the smokers)

The problem I see is, what about the people in bars who want to smoke, don't they have a right? What I'm hearing about Thailand's polution, I don't believe this is a legitimate issue, in regards to anyone's health.

:Clap7:

You do not have the right to Poison others around you !

:P

You do not have the right to poison others around you !

Poison? Another example of what I have been talking about. If you don't like it move on.

Aka Laafa

I quit smoking about a year ago.....other people smoking around me, doesn't bother me in the least. However, any government, whether its the Thais or my own Government, making up more laws, and regulations to rule my life, is to be discouraged.

That BS about second hand smoke is horse hockey!.....if there is too much smoke in a building, get out of the building....maybe its on Fire!... :P

I don't need some law, telling me there is too much smoke in a room. You have a brain, use your own god given common sense.....or do you want the Government to figure that out for you?

What's NEXT....

*Drinking hard liqueur?

*Drinking more than 3 beers?

*A real ban on prostitution?

*A cerfew?

Be very careful, what you want your Government/ or anybody else's government,to protect you from!....very careful!.....TOO MUCH SMOKE in the room, get up and leave!.

In a free capitalist economy, if enough people leave, the Bar Owner will install adequate ventilation.

Let free market capitalism rule the day...NOT THE FRIGGEN GOVERNMENT!

This ban is so the BiB can pocket your money.....its always about money!

Edited by Franky

Well Said Franky !!!! :GiveBeer1:

I dont smoke and I cant stand the smell , but in Thailand it isnt really that bad in the gogo,s and clubs . Beer bars are a non issue cause theyre open .

The only place it has ever bothered me is in pubs ( ie pig @ whistle ) when i,m having brekkie and some wank is blowing his smoke on me while i,m eating .

but i,ll put up with it rather than have another rule imposed .

Cheers

:9of10Score:

Dude

Poison? Another example of what I have been talking about. If you don't like it move on.

I have a right to sit in a bar

I do not interferer with other customers! You move on

:P

I have a right to sit in a bar

I do not interferer with other customers! You move on

:10:

But you are with those statements, get a god damn life

Aka Laafa

Well Said Franky !!!! :CumOnFace:

I dont smoke and I cant stand the smell , but in Thailand it isnt really that bad in the gogo,s and clubs . Beer bars are a non issue cause theyre open .

The only place it has ever bothered me is in pubs ( ie pig @ whistle ) when i,m having brekkie and some wank is blowing his smoke on me while i,m eating .

but i,ll put up with it rather than have another rule imposed .

Cheers

:10:

Dude

While you're eating is a different story and you have that right to voice a complaint. I agree with you on this issue.

Aka Laafa

I quit smoking about a year ago.....other people smoking around me, doesn't bother me in the least. However, any government, whether its the Thais or my own Government, making up more laws, and regulations to rule my life, is to be discouraged.

That BS about second hand smoke is horse hockey!.....if there is too much smoke in a building, get out of the building....maybe its on Fire!... :10:

I don't need some law, telling me there is too much smoke in a room. You have a brain, use your own god given common sense.....or do you want the Government to figure that out for you?

What's NEXT....

*Drinking hard liqueur?

*Drinking more than 3 beers?

*A real ban on prostitution?

*A cerfew?

Be very careful, what you want your Government/ or anybody else's government,to protect you from!....very careful!.....TOO MUCH SMOKE in the room, get up and leave!.

In a free capitalist economy, if enough people leave, the Bar Owner will install adequate ventilation.

Let free market capitalism rule the day...NOT THE FRIGGEN GOVERNMENT!

This ban is so the BiB can pocket your money.....its always about money!

If smokers were considerate there would be no need for the law, unfortunately they are not. I don't see any reason for people to smoke in restaurants ever. Also I don't see any reason against a fell ventilated smoking section in enclosed bars. Why not make all your customers happy? In the end aren't these laws usually intended to protect the health of bar and restaurant employees that don't have the ability to just leave if a place is too smoky?

Edited by BassGod

Personally I am not a heavy smoker. I do however occasionally like to have a smoke with my beer at the bar. I am all for smoking bans in public places and restaurants but at the bar just doesnt seem right. While its true some people may be there who do not drink or smoke or indulge in some other less reputable thing, the majority of people are there to have a good time. A prohibition of smoking in a bar just doesn't seem to make sense, its not like its a church.

Personally I am not a heavy smoker. I do however occasionally like to have a smoke with my beer at the bar. I am all for smoking bans in public places and restaurants but at the bar just doesnt seem right. While its true some people may be there who do not drink or smoke or indulge in some other less reputable thing, the majority of people are there to have a good time. A prohibition of smoking in a bar just doesn't seem to make sense, its not like its a church.

So you think your right to have a smoke with your beer is more important than my right to have a beer and not have to breath cigarette smoke, or an employees right not to have to breath second hand smoke all day every day?

Well said, no smoking in bars is ludicrous, if you don't like the smoke, go to an ice cream parlor

Edited by longagoandfaraway

Aka Laafa

If smokers were considerate there would be no need for the law, unfortunately they are not. I don't see any reason for people to smoke in restaurants ever. Also I don't see any reason against a fell ventilated smoking section in enclosed bars. Why not make all your customers happy? In the end aren't these laws usually intended to protect the health of bar and restaurant employees that don't have the ability to just leave if a place is too smoky?

It's pretty simple really, if you don't think the bar you visit is well ventilated, go to another, we all have choices

Aka Laafa