IGNORED

Bitten by a dog

MikeT

Just an update, not long after my last post i went over to the pattaya memorial hospital... after some confusion i went with the post injection regiment and tetanus... There was also some anti rabies injections (in case in the future i get bit again) they had but it was quoted for like 27,000 baht (way to much)... So i only went with the post injections. Total was 1700 baht and i have to go back four more times over the next month.

What medication did you receive? (hrig, erig, rabipur.....)

1700 baht (I guess tetanus, rabipur injection and some antibiotics)

i dont think there is any serum against rabies,so when back home visit a hospital where no missunderstandings will occur

Yes I received Rabipur http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/14933/SPC/Rabipur/ and Tetanus injections... most likely i probably dont have rabies considering the dog had an owner not long before so it was probably given injections (the area is full of animal clinics).

True, but better safe than sorry. You don't want to mess around with a disease that is 100% fatal. Glad you got the treatment.

What treatment did you receive and what price?

i already had a valid rabies immunization. but you still need vacination when you get bitten, but not so many as if you had no rabies immunization before.

i think i got two injections for rabies - not sure - and it was not expensive.

Edited by longhair32

• 6 months later...

I got bitten this morning headed off to clinic near Babydolls, The doctor gave me Rabipur , a series of about 5 injections , antibiotics , Tetanus , and she will dress my wound each day . first day cost me 1300 bht, but better to be safe than sorry.

If I start to shit on your front lawn you will know the shots never worked.

I got bitten this morning headed off to clinic near Babydolls, The doctor gave me Rabipur , a series of about 5 injections , antibiotics , Tetanus , and she will dress my wound each day . first day cost me 1300 bht, but better to be safe than sorry.

If I start to shit on your front lawn you will know the shots never worked.

Are you sure she gave you the rights meds? I've had the series of injections aswell and it cost around 50,000 baht (covered by insurance). The initial booster is the expensive one - that alone should be at least 30,000 baht. I would double check if I were you to ensure that you got the right meds

Are you sure she gave you the rights meds? I've had the series of injections aswell and it cost around 50,000 baht (covered by insurance). The initial booster is the expensive one - that alone should be at least 30,000 baht. I would double check if I were you to ensure that you got the right meds

Pretty sure, I think there is two different types of treatment for me,I see the dog everyday and I'm sure if it had rabies it would have died by now, my treatment is just precautionary.

I asked to keep the packet that the Rabipur was in so I could Show my Doctor at home .

I went back to have the wound looked at and redressed 200 bht.

Here's a true story for you. This farang gal I knew down South years ago, she was working for one of her country's gov projects and she got bite by a street dog. She was with some friends and they caught the dog. She phoned her bosses in BKK and they told her to report to her gov/embassy hospital immediately and to bring the dog's head with her. So they contacted the Thai police who shot the dog and cut its head off. Then this gal flew up to BKK with the dog's head in an icebox on the plane with her. Test were done and the dog wasn't rabid, so she didn't require the shots in the stomach.

Anyway, any fucking filthy Thai street dog bites me or one of my family and the next day it'll be vomiting up its stomach lining.

must have the shots

its only 600 baht a pop but you do need 4(from memory), it does not hurt and is not a big deal at all, just need to remember the dates

must have the shots

its only 600 baht a pop but you do need 4(from memory), it does not hurt and is not a big deal at all, just need to remember the dates

I think five in all, they gave me a card with all relevant info on that card for future reference, and predated so my Doctor can finish the folow up treatment.

I will ask if I can take the last two vials with me so my Doctor can finish the course when I get home?

Edited by Harry Brown

I think five in all, they gave me a card with all relevant info on that card for future reference, and predated so my Doctor can finish the folow up treatment.

I will ask if I can take the last two vials with me so my Doctor can finish the course when I get home?

yeah with that card, can see any doctor in any country, its just the follow up shots. Local clinics are even cheaper, only 450 baht per shot, though 2 times i went to local clinic doctor was so rough with injection that i decided to pay extra rather than hear the sound of skin popping :)

PS. Dr OLivier nurse is excellent at doing the shots

Guys, Also please be aware that it is the same deal with Cat bites (Rabies) In fact a bad wound infection is far more likely from a Cat than from a Dog bite.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

• 6 months later...

I wish they would get rid of those soi mutts. Leaving their land mines all over the sidewalks. Dog lovers will bag on me for my opinion, I'm fine with that. You love them so much, take them home with you when you go. Live in Patts, adopt a dozen of them, keep them in your studio condo. Enjoy.

This direct quote from my WHO International Certificates of Vaccination, in which all my vaccinations are recorded:

Rabies

Rabies can be fatal if animal exposure is not treated immediately and precisely. Be extremely wary of unqualifed people telling you to wait and see. There have been cases of persons dying of rabies while the biting animal still appears well.

If you are bitten or scratched or licked by an animal, especially if behaving unusually [LOL, I think they mean the animal not you], it is vital you:

1. Thoroughly cleanse the wound with soap and water. Encouarge limited bleeding, do not stitch. Apply alcohol [LOL - to the wound! To the wound!]

2. Seek medical advice as soon as possible. Try to obtain Human Diploid Cell Vaccine (HDCV). Other safe vaccines include Rabipur, Verorab, Lyssavac and Imovax Rabies Vero.

3. If you have been preimmunised you need two doses of the vaccine to boost your antibodies. You do not require additional rabies immunoglobulin (HRIG) [This is why I keep my shots up to date!]

4.If you have not been preimmunised, you require a course of 5 injections of Human Diploid Cell Vaccine (HDVC). These vaccines are given in the arm. As the vaccine takes a little while to start working, in addition to the vaccine you require an injection of Human Rabies Immune Globulin (HRIG) 201U per kg body weight to protect you from the disease while the vaccine takes effect. In order to be properly effective, half of the HRIG must be injected into the bite site. [Ouch!]

5. Inform your doctor on your return home.

Bottom line, get preimmunised with HDVC (three arm shots over 1 month and a booster every 3 years).

Edited by sinbad5

When I was in Sukutai (sorry for the bad spelling) I took the hotel van on a tour. One of the stops led to a path into some woods. Before I got out I saw a dog in very bad shape almost walking sideways towards the van. My only thought was I was not going anywhere near this dog. And the driver looked surprised when I said I was not getting out of the van.

Have you ever wondered what condition dogs looking like this

stock-photo-18928867-leprosy-dog.jpg

suffer from? It's Leprosy. Yes, that one. Don't panic, 9 out of 10 people are immune, and the incubation period is 3 years on average. Should you ever develope some strange lesions on the skin and feel numbness in arms or legs, tell your doctor to check for it. It's forgotten in the west, probably the last they would assume.