IGNORED

Bitten by a dog

MikeT

Yesterday i was strolling around and got bitten by surprise on the leg by a dog... come to find out the dog did have owners before until recently it was abandoned while it looked like a normal dog (didnt have any of those ugly skin diseases etc) what precautions should I take? Is it safe to get rabbies vaccination just as a precaution even if i may not have it? Should i take the dog to a local veterinary as i seen there are many nearby where the dog was... Im pretty sure the dog is still there. Any advice would be appreciated... im just weary of getting the shots if its not needed and dont know if theres any bad side effects.

Get Busy Living... Or Get Busy Dying

Yesterday i was strolling around and got bitten by surprise on the leg by a dog... come to find out the dog did have owners before until recently it was abandoned while it looked like a normal dog (didnt have any of those ugly skin diseases etc) what precautions should I take? Is it safe to get rabbies vaccination just as a precaution even if i may not have it? Should i take the dog to a local veterinary as i seen there are many nearby where the dog was... Im pretty sure the dog is still there. Any advice would be appreciated... im just weary of getting the shots if its not needed and dont know if theres any bad side effects.

I'm not sure if Rabies is in Thailand...

I assume before you came to Thailand you got the usual shots...Tetanus and Hep Shots.

If you get a Tetanus shot straight away.

I have had shots in Thailand from doctors before with no ill effect.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Get a rabies vaccination. Now. Rabies is just about 100% fatal. It is in Thailand, and if you get it, you're dead... period. Do you want to bet your life on this one?

Yes I know ill probably head over to pattaya memorial today to get the injections are they still doing it through the stomach?

yes you should get the rabies vaccine asap

one thing to keep in mind is that the rabies vaccine is a blood products and as i understand can be tainted

Do they have animal control there? The dog should be picked up and quarantined to find out. 2 week's and you will know.

Edited by Anokanite

Yes I know ill probably head over to pattaya memorial today to get the injections are they still doing it through the stomach?

AFAIK they can do it intramuscular now, so I don't think so.

Do they have animal control there? The dog should be picked up and quarantined to find out. 2 week's and you will know.

2 weeks and he'll be dead if the dog was rabid. Don't mess around with this stuff.

http://www.google.com.au/search?rlz=1C1LAVG_enAU413AU413&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rabies+wiki

Here is a link, Thailand is the third highest in prevalence of Rabies in east Asia, .

you can get a post exposure prophylaxis.

if the dog is rabid then you would die between 2-10 days after symptoms show.

If I'd been bitten by a dog I'd be straight off to a doctor / hospital to get competent medical advice. I certainly wouldn't be floating the subject on a mongering forum.

If I'd been bitten by a dog I'd be straight off to a doctor / hospital to get competent medical advice. I certainly wouldn't be floating the subject on a mongering forum.

Best advice so far. Far better than the advice I gave.

Listen to this guy he is giving sound information.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

As echoed above, drop whatever you are doing and get to a Doctor now!

They still do it through the stomach here in some places, its definitely worth getting it doing, dogs should legally have vaccination tags on them, but you cant trust them either.

My mate got bitten in kamala Phuket and the advice he was given -

Must catch the dog straight away and see if it is rabid.

If not then it is a few rabies shot to be had. (I think he had 7)?

They shot this dog in question a few days later as it just ran of the street and bit him in a bar.

Edited by Bush Pig

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. "Hari Om Tat Sat"

Nobody cares about the stray dogs.

TiT, sad but true.

emergency1.jpg

Hi

IT’S AN EMERGENCY CASE.

1. Rabies is a very serious infection.

2. The rabies virus attacks the nerves and the brain.

3. Rabies infections can be fatal if not treated as early as possible.

Seek immediate medical attention even if the bite appears minor.

(Pattaya Memorial Hospital is OK)

First thing to do.

When skin is broken by a dog bite it is very likely to become infected. While waiting, wash the wound with soap and water to clean the area up from bacteria and control the bleeding.

In your case « Post exposure »

For vaccination against rabies you need an usual course of 5 injections, given at intervals over 3 or 4 weeks.

If you miss a dose, talk your doctor and arrange another visit as soon as possible.

Your « program »

Day 1 (from 8.000THB to 35.000 THB depend of the kind of medication) (*)

• Tetanus toxoid (into muscle in your upper arm)

• Rabies antiserum injection ( around the wounds and the remainder in buttock)

• Rabies vaccine (into muscle in your upper arm)

• Antibiotics (Amoxicillin for one week or two)

(*)

Two kinds of rabies antibody preparations may be used :

HRIG -human rabies immunoglobulin (HRIG) it is expensive

or

ERIG - equine rabies immunoglobulin (ERIG) cheaper and quite safe (take this one)

A skin test must be performed prior to the administration of ERIG (micro injection in each arm)

A certificate of post-exposure rabies treatment should be filled in and given to each vaccine.

Day 3 Rabies vaccine (into muscle in your upper arm)

(from 800 THB to 1.000 THB)

Day 7 Rabies vaccine (into muscle in your upper arm)

Day 14 Rabies vaccine (into muscle in your upper arm)

Day 30 Rabies vaccine (into muscle in your upper arm)

In case of infection (some more Baht) don’t panic (All medicines, including vaccines can have side effects – redness, swelling, pain, headache, fever, tiredness and so on)

They’ll prescribe you stronger antibiotics (Amoxycillin – Amoksiklave – Clindamycin and so on)

BTW – Alcohol, Vitamin V and all the other stuff.

It is best for you to refrain from alcohol while on antibiotics. Alcohol doesn't diminish the effectiveness of most antibiotics. However, antibiotics and alcohol can cause similar side effects.

Keep in mind that alcohol can reduce your energy and delay how quickly you recover from illness. So, it may be best to avoid alcohol until you have finished your antibiotics and are feeling better.

Boom boom mak mak is OK

We’re awaiting for your feedback

My 2 baht.

parachute medical squadron.jpg

Just an update, not long after my last post i went over to the pattaya memorial hospital... after some confusion i went with the post injection regiment and tetanus... There was also some anti rabies injections (in case in the future i get bit again) they had but it was quoted for like 27,000 baht (way to much)... So i only went with the post injections. Total was 1700 baht and i have to go back four more times over the next month.

...but it was quoted for like 27,000 baht (way to much)...

Interesting to read what sort of price some people put on their own health. Don't you have insurance to cover this sort of thing ?

Interesting to read what sort of price some people put on their own health. Don't you have insurance to cover this sort of thing ?

From what i understand the 27000 baht immunization is just a precaution for future incidents, so for people who are at risk of getting bit more then others. This is the first time ive been bitten in probably over 10 years... the ironic part is i was bit going into a bar. Really i could of just told the bar owner to pay all my bills because the dog was in his property.

From what i understand the 27000 baht immunization is just a precaution for future incidents, so for people who are at risk of getting bit more then others. This is the first time ive been bitten in probably over 10 years... the ironic part is i was bit going into a bar. Really i could of just told the bar owner to pay all my bills because the dog was in his property.

Best of luck trying to get a bar owner to accept responsibility for a Soi dog ! If the 27,000 was a precaution for future incidents I would have probably skipped them too (unless insurance stumped up)...easily followed up at home. I've seen all sorts of bite (even insect) take a very nasty turn in the tropics - doctor's advice and fast treatment is paramount though.

Just an update, not long after my last post i went over to the pattaya memorial hospital... after some confusion i went with the post injection regiment and tetanus... There was also some anti rabies injections (in case in the future i get bit again) they had but it was quoted for like 27,000 baht (way to much)... So i only went with the post injections. Total was 1700 baht and i have to go back four more times over the next month.

Glad to hear it. So if I see you foaming at the mouth I know it's just beer foam and not the rabies.

Best of luck trying to get a bar owner to accept responsibility for a Soi dog ! If the 27,000 was a precaution for future incidents I would have probably skipped them too (unless insurance stumped up)...easily followed up at home. I've seen all sorts of bite (even insect) take a very nasty turn in the tropics - doctor's advice and fast treatment is paramount though.

Yes I know thats why i didnt even bother pursuing it, i would most likely need a lawyer and a witness its not worth the headache. The owner when it happened immediately told me its not his dog and he said were also closed... Well kind of funny i thought if your closed why was a customer drinking in there and the door was open.

I was running back from the gym on the third road a week ago when something similar always happened. Saw the dog took a u-turn under a table, as I passed it went for it, I turned around, I managed to give it a good head kick as it was about to bite me...well don't think it will try this again...and I won't be running in the streets in Pattaya either.

Other story, up in Korat a few weeks ago, late late, walked back from 7 eleven to a small hotel in the village, 6 dogs stood between me and my hotel and blocked the road, that was some scary stuff, but managed to slowly moved passed them....

yes, I would take the shoots right away.

i was also bitten by a dog on soi baowkow about 1,5 years ago. i went to the memorial hospital immediately and got vacinations.

i was also bitten by a dog on soi baowkow about 1,5 years ago. i went to the memorial hospital immediately and got vacinations.

What treatment did you receive and what price?

Yes I know thats why i didnt even bother pursuing it, i would most likely need a lawyer and a witness its not worth the headache. The owner when it happened immediately told me its not his dog and he said were also closed... Well kind of funny i thought if your closed why was a customer drinking in there and the door was open.

Which bar? Thai or farang owner?

Edited by benny31