IGNORED

Muay Thai training/fitness camps

Wombat 69

I also here great things about phromthep, and when I visited there for mmatravelguide they were spending alot of money in improving the facility and guest quarters -cant go wrong with that camp. -personally I'm a big fan of phuket pattaya is def more my speed . thanks for the kind words about the book-Will

I have been back 3 weeks today and must say the camp was great in all aspects,accomadation,food and especially the people.

Phromthep is a great place,being not far from Rawai and some great beach's.A bit isolated from Karon/Kata and Patong,you do really need a scooter/bike to get around to these places.I didn't mind walking everywhere,except coming home late at night was a dilema in particular when Mau,it was a good 1/2 walk from the bars at Rawai beach.I soon woke up to the fact of getting someone who would drive me back or I would get a BG who had a bike,I used to ask first before buying drinks/bar fine,guarantteed ride back home.

Fitness wise it wasn't easy at 1st,in particular the heat gets to you especially coming from a cold climate.Managed to loose around 5 kg's in 2 weeks,would have lost more if I didn't drink so much but WTF.I had a great time

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion Muey Thai should be banned in the West and barred from all international sporting events until the Thais bring this martial art in line with the rest of the world and all instructors thoroughly impress on every student of Muey Thai that the techniques are to used only in the boxing gyms/rings or only in absolute self defense. Too many Thais are given the skills and then go out and kick the living shit out of some poor bastard just to show how much a tough guy they are.

It's also way overdue that every Thai who injures or kills another man by using Muey Thai techniques recieves a lengthy prison sentence, just as Karate & Tae Khow Do & boxers back in our countries are sentenced as their fists/feet are classified as lethal weapons.

Just look at all the eye-witness accounts on this forum alone of Thais using Muey Thai to knock tourists unconscious in WS brawls?

LOL this is just complete rubbish. I have never seen anyone using MT in a street fight in Thailand. Unless you train or are an avid fan you probably wouldn't know what real MT techniques are, compared to someone throwing soccer kicks and random punches. Most Thai MT fighters are too busy training or staying at their camps to wander round starting street fights, they don't train it for fun, they do it to support their families by fighting in the ring. They won't risk their health by fighting in the street.

Additionally being a boxer or having a black belt in any martial art does not make you/your hands or feet classed as lethal weapons.

• 4 months later...

i'm going to tiger Muay Thai for a week and a half in february march. I 'll take a load of photos and let you kow how it is.

i've been doing a bit of weight trainign and playing loads of scce recently so getting quite fit. i know 11 days ain't a long time but my job only allows 2 weeks off at most. gonna try ad get back later in the year for another spell, then after this contract finishes, head over for a few months till the next rig starts up.

looking forward to it !!