Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Upscale/Exceptional Restaurants in Patts

There are two Swiss restaurants in the narrow part of Soi Diamond, one at each side.

One is Swiss Food and the other one is Swiss House (bei Andy).

Both give good value for money; soup and buffet are included with main dishes.

There used to be a third one where you had to go upstairs, but it closed a couple of years ago.

The one I referenced is on the left as you walk up the soi from Heaven Above/Shark toward 2nd Road. Again, it is not what I call fine dining, but it is VERY nice and the best I have found (overall experience) besides a couple of the dining outlets at the new 5 star hotel on the north end...Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort...where I have stayed the last couple of trips for just a long weekend or so. I also am guessing there might be a fine dining outlet at the new Hilton on Beach Rd, but haven't been yet, will check it out this next trip and post then.

Cheers, Alex

AT THE CENTARA:

Outlet: Ginger & Lime

Type of Cuisine: Japanese, Thai, Chinese, & Vietnamese Cuisine. Ocean kitchens where dining is a true event.

Seating Capacity: 240

Opening Hours: 18:00 - 23:30

Outlet: Acqua

Type of Cuisine: Modern Italian Cuisine, Emphasising Seafood

Seating Capacity: 120

Opening Hours: 18:00 - 23:30

Aqua Centara 1.jpg

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

Just wondering what you had to eat there mate?

We must have been to Casa pascals 15 times over the last 3 years, and it's always been of a high standard.

Let me tell you this: we never went back there.

(I am not a masochist.)

• 2 weeks later...

Lets not make this thread about Cafe Des Amis....

My qualifications? you were a chef although you didn't mention if it was "fine dining"...I was an owner of a "fine dining" restaurant seating 116 on International Boulevard in Orlando, Florida which I sold in 1997. I spent the next three years consulting for Starwoods for three new hotels the were both building and acquiring. When I travel (minimum 2 months every year), my hobby besides golf is eating at the best restaurants...

In Beverly Hills, there are many fine dining restauarants where the food is predictable, quite ordinary and a "gimmick" is what sets them apart in advertising or the interior is at the high end............Its in the presentation, service and ambiance.

In answer to a couple of your comments......

Will not malign you about being a chef...it would be easy though....,no?

You must have been there a while ago....The owner does not have car service NOW,,,used to,,recently quit.

The food wasn't good. The appetizer was typical,,,nothing creative or different than a hundred others.

Their Kobe steak was cooked with skill,,as it should be,,,however the cut was uneven, gristle laden, and "mis-shapened" plus the thickness was not consistant which I'm sure you will agree is less than desirable. I am sure with you being a chef, the visual experience is part of a fine dining place,,,,,,this steak was something a chain restaurant would serve...I most probably would place a considerable wager that it wasn't even a Kobe steak.....

No one made me angry,,,although I am tacitly upset (therefore the tone of my comments) when someone charges premium prices for mediocre fare and advertises fine dining when by any objective standards in the industry it is lacking in too many areas, and NOT EVEN CLOSE.....

Well mate, the foods all I'm into, and your 1st post didn't give contain any references to it.

From the sound of your 2nd post, the food obviously sounds poor. My mate had a steak dish there last year, and he said it was the best he's ever had, though it wasn't Kobe.

I'll be returning in August, and I'll be very disappointed if I get a similar experience to yours. All I've ever had there was perfection. I can only imagine the Chef has left or something. Real shame, but I'll give it a go still to see for myself.

I totally agree on the pricing, a higher price should equal top quality food, when it doesn't happen, I feel ripped off...it's a bit like paying over the odds for say a Go-go stunner, and getting a starfish performance :wacko:

I've not been to Pattaya for a year now, so what in your opinion, were the best picks of your recent stay?

I think the OP meant, and I quite agree...

A find dining experience goes beyond the food and is ALL ENCOMPASSING.

This means the decor, linen, glassware, china and tableware, atmosphere (lighting/music), staff and waitstaff, pace of the meal service, cocktail presentation, wine list, food and food presentation.

It is possible to have a GREAT meal without it being a "fine dining experience." I have been to many an eatery that has mind blowing food, but was NOT a fine dining experience.

I have also been to many cool vibe eateries that were fun/exciting/interesting, but were NOT a fine dining experience.

The fine dining experience ticks ALL the boxes...at least imho.

Alex

The Bay restaurant at the Dusit Thani hotel, pricey but worth it, I never miss their Saturday evening buffet, unbelievable selection of fresh sea food, steaks, and everything in between,very good cheese selection