Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Greeting

I think needs practice to get it right as others have said looks stupid when farangs do it badly

• 4 weeks later...

I think wai-ing is thailand way of greetings and greeting forms part culture.Now if a falang greets and does it well,i do not see anything wrong with it,or how do you see it?

The Thai greeting referred to as the wai (Thai: ไหว้) Or in Lao as "Kub" consists of a slight bow, with the palms pressed together in a prayer-like fashion.

It is also common as a way to thank someone or apologise.

Origin

The wai originated from an ancient greeting that was done to show neither individual had any weapons. There exist multiple versions of the greeting based on social class, gender, and age.

One speculation is that it comes from the Buddhist Religion. After certain prayers, one must clasp their hands together and bring it down towards the ground three times.

The higher the hands are held in relation to the face, the more respect/reverence the the giver of the wai is showing.

Extracted from Wikipedia: The Wai

very interesting post... didnt know 95% percent of it

• 2 weeks later...

its ok...im a geordie and we do it up north all the time, only its called the "w :P:GoldenSmile1: ye aye man"

Pattaya Pattaya oh how I love you

• 3 weeks later...

good read but i have to say i wai all the time here in england

i do it before fighting, after pad work to the pad man, everyone does it to the coach(KRU) at start and end of every lesson and when ever we go to shows, events or meets the wai is more common than the hand shake.

so you guys would not recommend this be done in thailand?? obv when im training i will be out and about???

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

• 2 weeks later...

When you do it before fighting and to your teacher etc it's to show respect, just apply the same rule in Thailand. And as a falang you're not ever going to be told off for not doing it unless the people around you know you well.

If unsure don't do it imo, I once was talking to a guy and he was waiing the bargirls, with the stance where the back of the thumbs are against the forehead, i explained why it wasn't a good idea, his argument was it's better to be polite... I don't think he really 'got it' so i didn't waste my time and left the bar quicky out of 'guilt by association'.

It's kinda an unwritten rule, will kinda just click after a while, I used to do it to my boss sometimes, doctors, monks if they're at temple if they talk to me, friends i've not seen in a while, or to say thankyou for something important and friends parents/grandparents.

Edited by herds