IGNORED

Thai Greeting

The Thai greeting referred to as the wai (Thai: ไหว้) Or in Lao as "Kub" consists of a slight bow, with the palms pressed together in a prayer-like fashion.

It is also common as a way to thank someone or apologise.

Origin

The wai originated from an ancient greeting that was done to show neither individual had any weapons. There exist multiple versions of the greeting based on social class, gender, and age.

One speculation is that it comes from the Buddhist Religion. After certain prayers, one must clasp their hands together and bring it down towards the ground three times.

The higher the hands are held in relation to the face, the more respect/reverence the the giver of the wai is showing.

Extracted from Wikipedia: The Wai

• 7 months later...

first time in thailand i was running about giving the wai to everyone big mistake

I never wai as i am not Thai or Buddhist.

When i see a farang do it, it looks kinda weird to me.

It is not wrong for a falang to wai, however it is wrong to Wai to people younger than yourself, and as I am one of the older buggers on this site I very rarely wai

• 2 weeks later...

I invariably cringe when I see farangs giving a wai as it is patently obvious that the vast majority have not got a clue how to do it correctly. As for giving a wai to service staff ................... :)

Farangs are not expected to wai but should always acknowledge a wai. A simple nod of the head, which I do, is sufficient.

Alan

While I agree that it looks strange for a falang to wai at Thai, it is considered a show of respect to wai someone of superior position to you. Therefore, it is good to wai a doctor, should you go to the hospital, or wai someone who holds a high government position (particularly if you are visiting their office). I haven't yet been in such a situation, but will later this week, and hope I remember to wai.

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

There's nothing wrong with a farrang Wai-ing as long as he does it correctly and at the right level, its a sign of respect especially if your meeting the future in-laws,

Its pathetic when you see one farrang Wai-ing another....

No one expects it, so I never do it. Seems to be quie impotant to Thais, and think their class system is quite complex and far too subtle for us farangs to get involved with. Its our money they seem to respect most

Marky

I just got back from Thailand I was there for 6 wks.Three wks in Pattaya and three in my wife's village.It was 18 months since I've been back and the fourth trip here.I was really was surpised and so was my wife how in Patttaya the people hardly every wai anymore.It's starting to remind me of LasVegas,where you get treated like a number and they figure there never going to see you again.Now back in the village eveyone one wai's and greets you with much kindness.There is a study how resort areas really hurt the people in those commutinties.They no longer can afford to live there or own homes,rising crime rates and murder goes up also.I belive this we be the new Pattaya with in a few yrs.That's a shame.

The etiquette concerning wai's is so difficult to understand that i don't think anyone other than a Thai could understand it. For that reason i have give up on doing it now as i reckon the Thais just cringe when they see farangs do it.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

• 1 year later...

As I planing my first trip to Thailand and by reading your comments here I came to conclusion that not to make yourself clown in front of others it is better just to use "thank you" or "hello" when appropriate. And use "wai" only when you are communicating with: doctors, police, government or older people.

please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

thanks

Crazylit

lbfucker.gif

This one always seems to cause arguments. So many people have misconceived ideas, usually via word or mouth or even just myth.

Read this article on Teak Door. After 14 years here I would say its pretty much spot on. That article doesnt require a log-in.

http://teakdoor.com/view.php?pg=thailand_and_the_wai

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Do the girls realy apriciate when a farrang tryes to say something in thai? Or do they take distance?

All i learned when i was there was farang and sawa dicap ;)

This one always seems to cause arguments. So many people have misconceived ideas, usually via word or mouth or even just myth.

Read this article on Teak Door. After 14 years here I would say its pretty much spot on. That article doesnt require a log-in.

http://teakdoor.com/view.php?pg=thailand_and_the_wai

thanks for the link. I recommend to read this link to all newbies (like me) before travel to Thailand.

p.s. I also found great Youtube video which teaches how to do it correctly. hope it will help others as much as it did for me

(didn't find ways to embed the video here, if anyone knows how to do that please reply to me)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j0g004NB6PE

Crazylit

lbfucker.gif

I know its a respectful gesture but in all honestly it looks riduculus when a falang wai's.

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

As I've said before...........

I wai my parents-in-law, my ex-GF's older brother, my poo-yai bahn and any SENIOR goverment/police/official people I may have to deal with.

That's it.

I don't return wais, a smile and a nod is sufficient although that's just a metter of choice; my wife always returns wais from service staff.

She also wais my feet every night before we sleep.

NEVER wai children, service staff, prostitutes, beggars, and the like.

I saw an old fallang guy give a young checkout girl in Carrefour (sic) the sort of high-wai resrved for royalty and God. She cringed and I wanted to twat the sod.

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

"Chris Pattaya" This is good example you gave us.

will keep it in mind.

:LOL::GoldenSmile1:

Crazylit

lbfucker.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know its a respectful gesture but in all honestly it looks riduculus when a falang wai's.

But does it also look ridiculous when a Thai shakes somebody's hand?

sinclair1969: a fuckin' degenerate gambler.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

• 1 month later...
As I've said before...........

I wai my parents-in-law, my ex-GF's older brother, my poo-yai bahn and any SENIOR goverment/police/official people I may have to deal with.

That's it.

I don't return wais, a smile and a nod is sufficient although that's just a metter of choice; my wife always returns wais from service staff.

She also wais my feet every night before we sleep.

NEVER wai children, service staff, prostitutes, beggars, and the like.

I saw an old fallang guy give a young checkout girl in Carrefour (sic) the sort of high-wai resrved for royalty and God. She cringed and I wanted to twat the sod.

I think that just about sums it up.

• 1 month later...

you just need to treat people with respect,we do not need nor are expected to give a thai bow

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think giving somebody a wai is such a big deal if you get it wrong.

It just shows that you're trying to get with the culture and make some sort of effort.

Same with the lingo, if you actually make an attempt to speak Thai they love you all the more for it. Well that's in my experience anyway...

If you want something done properly, do it yourself..

• 3 weeks later...

i never do the wai looks a little out if place.

After travelling through asia, having seen what i've seen,even the dirt seems clean in OZ!!!

SEX is Great But NOTHING beats the REAL THING!!!