Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

wrong stamp at airport, wont fix in jomtien

thebestman36

Arriving from usa received a 30 day stamp instead of the 60 days i was supposed to get. My wife received the right stamp. I suppose they didnt see my tourist visa page I had in poassport for this trip. So I go to jomtien to try and fix, but the front desk girl say I have to go to main office in bangkok. Does this sound right? Its seems like a bunch of trouble for a simple mistake. Dare I wait til my 60 days are up and then address the problem? The other issue is that we are going to be doing a 30 day extension, but 2 days late because it falls on saturday and offices closed and are schedule doesnt allow us to get there before. Any advice?

By main office in Bangkok do you mean back to BKK Airport Immigration?

Sounds likely and no I wouldn't chance it.

Why would you not do your extensions before the last weekend?

You still get 30 days from expiry of your Visa even if you did it now - if you could.

Your 30 day stamp is just Visa exemption and not a Visa. You can only extend that 7 days.

You need to sort it somehow.

I assumed i would have to fix this at the main immigration office in bangkok. Another chat board suggested that maybe it could be fixed by going back to airport. Anyone else actually fixed something similar at airport?

I didnt think that you could do a visa extension so far ahead? Like today they told us could do only 1 week ahead or less. We are going to be in koh tao and headed back to pattaya to spend our final 30 days. Our luck we land back in pattaya on a saturday when offices our closed for 2 days. Our entrance stamp at airport got marked for previous day so instead of being at 91 days for our trip we will be at 92. We would have renewed in time and the extrra day they let slide at airport leaving. But now thaty doesnt work that we are 2 days over. So we either pay the fine when extending our 60 day to 90, or when we leave thailand. Guess it makes little difference, we will be 2 days over either way.

This precise event happened to me. I received the 30 day stamp instead of the 60 day. I went to my embassy. The agent made a few phones calls and she sorted it out for me. I had to go back to the airport and they made the correction for me.

However, I think Immigration might be able to handle this because I had to go to the airport Immigration anyway. I would try there first.

Regarding your 30 day extension you plan on doing: The 30-day extension goes into effect the following day, so you cannot do it now. You should do it a day or two before your expiry date, regardless that the expiry date falls on a weekend. You will have to pay 500B/day/person for overstay. A 1000b goes a long way here. It doesn't look good to immigration too. Remember, they techincally can refuse you a 30 day extension.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!

Edited by mal129

Sex is like air, it's not important unless you aren't getting any

If I were you.. I go to the airport on the 30th day and try to work it out with immigration office if not, book a day flight to either Malyaisa or Indonasia then you will get 30 day extension automatically,,, Or go to Visa shop in Pattaya at LK Metro, they will sort out for you for 10,000 bahts approx....

Edited by jocky king

Thanks for the good info guys. So the bkk airport does have a special immigration help office that I can walk in and find? Wasnt sure about how to get to it with the security thing not letting you go through certain areas.

Regarding your 30 day extension you plan on doing: The 30-day extension goes into effect the following day, so you cannot do it now. You should do it a day or two before your expiry date, .......................

You are correct that the extension starts the day after the expiry of the Tourist Visa (once corrected) but you are wrong that he cannot do it now (or rather once the error has been corrected) - if that's what you mean.

I went to Jomtien to check for Mr Dom recently as he was heading for the village and wasn't going to be in Pattaya when his Tourist Visa expired. I saw Barry Kenyon and he confirmed that he could do it at any time during the life of the Visa and the 30 days starts at the end of the 60. I relayed this to Dom, who was in Chiang Mai at the time and he went and did it there no probs.

Mine and his TVs expire 29th January and I'll go down around 20th.

Thanks for the good info guys. So the bkk airport does have a special immigration help office that I can walk in and find? Wasnt sure about how to get to it with the security thing not letting you go through certain areas.

I haven't done it but I'm confident this can be sorted at the airport immigration.

After you've done that, see above for extension. There should be no need to be thinking of flights to Malaysia or paying 10k to an agent.

Similar thing happened to me,go to jomtien,find the tourist voluntary policeman,explain to him,and tell him you would like to "fix it up" now,ask to see the man who can "help" with this.It "cost" me 500bht for the paperwork to be stamped in jomtien.

Edited by cairns8

Similar thing happened to me,go to jomtien,find the tourist voluntary policeman,explain to him,and tell him you would like to "fix it up" now,ask to see the man who can "help" with this.It "cost" me 500bht for the paperwork to be stamped in jomtien.

By 'tourist voluntary policeman' I guess you mean Barry Kenyon (former Honourary Consul).

The current HC is former Tourist Policeman and TV celeb' Howard Miller.

I'd agree Barry must be well worth a try before going to BKK, if the OP didn't see him when he was refused.

The girls who seem to be being trained to take over from Barry are not as knowledgeable about what processes can be 'alleviated'. :GoldenSmile1:

I doubt whether Howard could help but who knows?

thanks for the additional advice. I guess I may try going back tomorrow to jomtien to try again before trying bkk airport. So Barry still works there....or? There is always a tourist volunter policeman there to find? Should I offer the 500 baht to fix, or just see what they have to say? Thanks again guys.

thanks for the additional advice. I guess I may try going back tomorrow to jomtien to try again before trying bkk airport. So Barry still works there....or? There is always a tourist volunter policeman there to find? Should I offer the 500 baht to fix, or just see what they have to say? Thanks again guys.

Barry retired as HC a while ago, but continues his helpful role out front.

I think he enjoys it actually and would miss it, but he plans to drop out at some point and the girls are being trained to fill the gap.

He's been there every time I've been there up until pre Kissmas, when he was giving away free ice creams.

I'd be a little more discreet than to wave 500 Baht at someone.

Tourist Police are not involved or relevant to Immigration matters but might take your money anyway.

I think only Barry can point you in the right direction, with or without some tea money.

Barry looks like this :- post-22250-1267170071_thumb.jpg

good lesson here, always check your stamp at the airport. I would go back to immigration in Jomtien and try again. Put on a pair of pants and a nice shirt and don't wear flip flops.

I don't think it was barry and it wasn't howard.My passport was stamped 30day tourist instead of 90 day multi entry.Just ask if you can pay for it to get changed here as bkk is a long distance to go and hand over 500bht to the immigration officer.

I don't think it was barry and it wasn't howard.My passport was stamped 30day tourist instead of 90 day multi entry.Just ask if you can pay for it to get changed here as bkk is a long distance to go and hand over 500bht to the immigration officer.

a tourist visa is 60 days, not 30.

Maybe you got a 30 day visa waiver because they missed your One Year Multi Entry, I don't know, but just waving a 500 Baht note around down there could do more harm than good. They're almost all Immigration Officers.

I'm not doubting that you sorted whatever problem you had or that you paid 500 Baht to someone, but I think you're muddying the waters for this OP. He needs to go quietly and respectfully and Barry is his best bet to get to the right guy - who may indeed want 500 Baht tucked in his Passport.

Softly softly.........................

You are correct that the extension starts the day after the expiry of the Tourist Visa (once corrected) but you are wrong that he cannot do it now (or rather once the error has been corrected) - if that's what you mean.

I went to Jomtien to check for Mr Dom recently as he was heading for the village and wasn't going to be in Pattaya when his Tourist Visa expired. I saw Barry Kenyon and he confirmed that he could do it at any time during the life of the Visa and the 30 days starts at the end of the 60. I relayed this to Dom, who was in Chiang Mai at the time and he went and did it there no probs.

Mine and his TVs expire 29th January and I'll go down around 20th.

I haven't done it but I'm confident this can be sorted at the airport immigration.

After you've done that, see above for extension. There should be no need to be thinking of flights to Malaysia or paying 10k to an agent.

Thanks for the new info Edge. I was told otherwise by others. I'm happy that I don't need to wait until the expiry date. Cheers.

Sex is like air, it's not important unless you aren't getting any

I cant thank you guys enough for the great advice. Found Barry this morning and he quickly took passport and returned 2 minutes later with new stamp. No charge, and he ran off so quick I didnt have time to even give him something for his trouble. He surely didnt seem overly talkative or friendly, but I am so glad for his help. When we arrived he wasnt there and we again got turned down by 2 others, saying they cant do it. We waited for Barry to return and instantly fixed. Big help, thanks everyone again.

I cant thank you guys enough for the great advice. Found Barry this morning and he quickly took passport and returned 2 minutes later with new stamp. No charge, and he ran off so quick I didnt have time to even give him something for his trouble. He surely didnt seem overly talkative or friendly, but I am so glad for his help. When we arrived he wasnt there and we again got turned down by 2 others, saying they cant do it. We waited for Barry to return and instantly fixed. Big help, thanks everyone again.

Glad it worked out for you. Good idea edge

Glad it worked out for you. Good idea edge

I think Barry must be 69 now and I don't know how much longer he'll continue.

Whenever he does leave he will be sorely missed. He's a Pattaya and Pattaya Immigration Legend.

He was an absolute star standing down there in the heat before Kissmas dressed as Santa and giving out free ice cream.

I'm glad you persevered and found the man who can and no, I've never heard of him accepting tea money or tips himself.

PS to the OP - Joined 4 years ago and only 8 posts before you started this thread.

Lucky you remembered you were a Member huh? :GoldenSmile1:

I think Barry must be 69 now and I don't know how much longer he'll continue.

Whenever he does leave he will be sorely missed. He's a Pattaya and Pattaya Immigration Legend.

He was an absolute star standing down there in the heat before Kissmas dressed as Santa and giving out free ice cream.

I'm glad you persevered and found the man who can and no, I've never heard of him accepting tea money or tips himself.

PS to the OP - Joined 4 years ago and only 8 posts before you started this thread.

Lucky you remembered you were a Member huh? :GoldenSmile1:

well the OP sure did pull one over on the experts at Thai visa. They all told him he had to go to the immigration in Bangkok.

I think you deserve a beer

well the OP sure did pull one over on the experts at Thai visa. They all told him he had to go to the immigration in Bangkok.

I think you deserve a beer

Do you mean he ever doubted for one moment that Pattaya Addicts knew their arse from their elbow?

Unbelievable!

I trust Sir Barry got an honourable mention in despatches.

Just don't tell him how I fucked my Retirement Extension up when I went to Cambodia in Nov eh? :Circle_Sharks:

PS - give us a link, I want to see which illustrious Global Moderators didn't know their arse from there elbow lol.

Do you mean he ever doubted for one moment that Pattaya Addicts knew their arse from their elbow?

Unbelievable!

I trust Sir Barry got an honourable mention in despatches.

Just don't tell him how I fucked my Retirement Extension up when I went to Cambodia in Nov eh? :Circle_Sharks:

PS - give us a link, I want to see which illustrious Global Moderators didn't know their arse from there elbow lol.

LOL....I wasnt sure how many responses I'd get, so I posted both sites to see if anyone had an inside scoop. Lucky for me you guys did. I actually spend no time on the other site unless I have a visa question. Love reading this board, just never visited the visa forum here before. Wasnt sure how active it was.

We have been to thailand/pattaya 5 years in a row now and love it here. I just dont post often, as not much I can add as a married man visiting pattaya with my wife. I think I might be the only man left to have spent so much time here and still be a virgin, lol. Lucky enough to have a sexy indian wife (that looks thai), and lets me look as long as no touch.

I might not get a reply in time - but I came across the border in Klong Yai, and received a 15 day (tourist exempt) stamp instead of 60 (tourist visa) I should have received, which I only just noticed. I'm only an hour or so away from that border (Ko Chang), but going to Pattaya tomorrow. Is it best for me to zip back over to the Klong Yai border office and get the stamp fixed right, rather than risk a problem at Jomtien (if they just say go to Bangkok)? It's a shame I didn't realize all this a few hours earlier, while the offices were still open so I could call :(.

EDIT: even though it's close on the map, Klong Yai border seems to cost a packet to get to (1400 baht return minibus??), and even then there are complications getting my already booked bus to Pattaya. So I might just chance it at Jomtien, and failing that get a visa extension or head into Bangkok same day. Not even sure Bangkok can sort, lady on phone (for Thai immigration hotline) said I had to go back to Klong Yai, but as I've seen on this thread I guess they say that to be safe.. Anyway will post an update based on experience at Jomtien.

Edited by sabato

I might not get a reply in time - but I came across the border in Klong Yai, and received a 15 day (tourist exempt) stamp instead of 60 (tourist visa) I should have received, which I only just noticed. I'm only an hour or so away from that border (Ko Chang), but going to Pattaya tomorrow. Is it best for me to zip back over to the Klong Yai border office and get the stamp fixed right, rather than risk a problem at Jomtien (if they just say go to Bangkok)? It's a shame I didn't realize all this a few hours earlier, while the offices were still open so I could call :(.

EDIT: even though it's close on the map, Klong Yai border seems to cost a packet to get to (1400 baht return minibus??), and even then there are complications getting my already booked bus to Pattaya. So I might just chance it at Jomtien, and failing that get a visa extension or head into Bangkok same day. Not even sure Bangkok can sort, lady on phone (for Thai immigration hotline) said I had to go back to Klong Yai, but as I've seen on this thread I guess they say that to be safe.. Anyway will post an update based on experience at Jomtien.

I can't figure where you are (1400 Return??) but if it was possible to go back I would.

If you're still at Trat it should be more like 140 Return I think.

Failing that, you'll have to hope Barry is as helpful to you as he was to the OP.

You can't extend a Visa which effectively you no longer have and I don't think you can even get 7 days on a 15 day exemption.

If you can't get it sorted you will probably have to head back to Cambodia or somewhere and get a new TV.

I can't figure where you are (1400 Return??) but if it was possible to go back I would.

If you're still at Trat it should be more like 140 Return I think.

Failing that, you'll have to hope Barry is as helpful to you as he was to the OP.

You can't extend a Visa which effectively you no longer have and I don't think you can even get 7 days on a 15 day exemption.

If you can't get it sorted you will probably have to head back to Cambodia or somewhere and get a new TV.

Yeah I get mixed stories on getting the stamp corrected - some people have reported success at other immigration offices (have specific form to fill out), others not. If I can't get an extension, that changes my worst case to a visa run, where I already have the visa (so they will just stamp/use the damn thing this time on re-entry). Don't know how long need to be outside Thailand before can re-enter though.

The fares from Koh Chang island (from ferry terminal on mainland) to Klong Yai (Had Lek) border are high. It's a 2 hour trip, 2.5 hours tops, and prices start at 700 baht one way. Private taxi was quoted at 2500 baht return. Minibus service probably won't get me back to my departure point on time, making it a two day affair.

Edited by sabato