Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

new iphone app

TOMSA

I have the Paiboon Talking Dictionary on my Ipod Touch.

like Bakwan, I also have a lot of Thai language materials and, in my opinion, the Talking Dictionary is my best resource alongside Anki. I use both almost every day. I would also recommend either/both to anyone seriously interested in learning the Thai language.

hi please can anyone tell me if they have ever used this iphone app and if so what did they think

much appreciated

http://itunes.apple....d411632067?mt=8

I have this app. Used it a few times out there when there was a more obscure word outside their tinglish experience. Also it is useful for me to help practice pronounciation as I haven't got much knowledge of the alphabet yet and the transliterations are impossible (everyone uses a different system and they are all only approx at best)

Example of use, explaining to doc about my diabetes, input the word in english, tap play and she immediately knew. Not the sort of word I'd pick up talking to BGs. Also trying to get the lady to undersdtand a word whose pronounciation and tones I have totally mangled, just use the app.

I like it, but when I return in 4 months time, many of the comms problems will have been greatly reduced, I hope, by my spending the hours now sweating over learning the language and looking an idiot walking round the supermarket doing pronounciation practice from the mp3s on my iPhone maa horse, maa dog, maa come. Or ngor ngoo clutching throat, bpor bplaa, dtor dtow and so on

Edited by OleKingCole

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

• 2 months later...

I just bit the bullet and spent $30 on the Paiboon talking dictionary and wow, straight away I can see this is excellent! It's going to be so useful, over 100,000 words, for every word it has good audio so you know how to pronounce it right. Your girl can type thai words into it with the thai keyboard on your iphone, and you can look up thai words you hear on how they sound with english alphabet. Very useful.

Edited by Infernal

Never thought about an app to learn thai. Just had a quick look and downloaded something for my android phone. Will let you know how it is when i try it out.

I've got an Android as well. I downloaded the lite version of Learn Thai by Codegent Ltd. Seemed okay so I spent a couple of dollars and got the regular version. Seems alright, and not very expensive. So far it's the only one I've tried though. Which one did you try?

I have it and use it quite often. Worth the every penny of it! Its very very useful.

Edited by TheLostShark

hi please can anyone tell me if they have ever used this iphone app and if so what did they think

much appreciated

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id411632067?mt=8

I have the app on my iPhone and iPad. iphone_ns.gif

Also I have the same software on my computer. www.word-in-the-hand.com

wdic.gif

I have always been a big fan of Paiboon Publishing. www.paiboonpublishing.com

It is also available as a book

thai-english-pocket-dictionary.jpg

I have the software open when I am talking with Thai girls online. When we get stuck on a word she does not understand, I look it up and have the software read out the word in Thai, which is picked up by the microphone.

The app and software are really excellent. I am happy to answer any questions that anyone might have.

They also have a seven series booklet+cd called 'Speak Like A Thai' which is also very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my very first touch phone ( Samsung Gio) I want to download a app from Android Market so I can speak thai to my TG. Anyone got a good one I can use?

Thanks in advance

Drew

I bought this app a couple of weeks ago, hoping it would provide some simple phrases for beginners, alas it does not as it's a dictionary, however saying that I've found it very useful and use it everyday practising for my upcoming trip to Pattaya.I'm sure this app will come in handy when I arrive. But what I'd really like is a phrase app!

Can you easily import from the Talking Dictionary into Anki?

unfortuantely not so far...

I looked up the directories, i found the sound data but it's weird format and at least I can't get anything out of there

I don't think they will be supporting Anki anytime soon

still.... best 2 programs I got on my phone, even if both are expensive... but it's worth it

another good one:

Thai Dict (Plus) - there is a free version and a paid version, the paid one is very cheap so i just bought it... good thing is that there are many example sentences, which is very important to me

besides there is not this annyoing "english" dictionary seperated from the "thai" dictionary... you just got one search field and type whatever you want... which i prefer a lot

example sentences are only given in thai letters and not easy for beginners, however at least you got a 2nd source to check if your translation is really correct

• 1 month later...

Great app recommendations, already downloaded the Three Way Thai English Dictionary and seems like I have a keeper. I'll put it to good use this october!

I know the app well, so here's my review:

I have used just about every Thai app on the app store as I develop apps. The Talking Thai app from Paiboon is head and shoulders above just about every dictionary app I've seen in any language. (I have no affiliation with Paiboon, or the app btw). It is a truly excellent product. First off, all the recordings are first rate, and they are very clear about tone. The tone markers can be displayed in multiple systems, and you can choose your Thai language font. The app also has all of the bad words and swear words you'll ever want to know, and clearly tells you which words are swear words, slang words, literary words, every day words, etc. The app also has a very cool "find words inside" feature which is great for learning Thai -- it allows you to break up long Thai words into their component meanings. This is extremely important to understanding and memorizing Thai vocabulary.

You can also spell-out Thai words in English letters, and it will try to find the word for you. This feature actually works unbelievably well... And I can't begin to figure out how it works..., but it does.

But -- Keep in mind that this is just a dictionary. It's a great dictionary product packed with great features, but it doesn't teach you sentences or grammar. For that you'll need some other products. I highly recommend the Pimsleur MP3 audio files from iTunes if youre just starting.

I also have all the Collin's dictionary products. These are poor quality. Avoid them. The audio is crap, and the reader is tone deaf.

Just getting it now for free.

Man I love a jailbroken phone

where from?? iv just been looking for it, can you pm me the link my friend?

tar

Posted Image

You need to have instalous on your phone you can download it from Cydia then just use the search engine.

my phone is jailbroken and has instalous , however i cannot find it via cydia for some mad reason! :-( ,,strange

Posted Image

search thai english on instalous not cydia and its the first one that comes up :)

Edited by okdilligaf

its ok iv found it now,, thanks for that :-) , sounds like a really good, useful app

Edited by jumpman233345
Posted Image

its ok iv found it now,, thanks for that :-) , sounds like a really good, useful app

No worries mate.

Gonna give it a bash now.If its crap no loss when its free.:)

No worries mate.

Gonna give it a bash now.If its crap no loss when its free.:)

Exactily! Iv just had a quick play with it and think it could come in very very handy in numerous situations! . But mainly for saying rude or funny words to BG's :-D

Posted Image

There's a new iphone app out called "Talking Thai-English-Thai Dictionary" selling for $25...

It has 5 stars in reviews - but who knows, could be author written.

A bit pricey... This doesn't sound like the same one mentioned (maybe it is).

Anyone tried it?

It is the same :) - I found the Paiboon reference...

Maybe I'll wait till I can unlock and Jailbreak when I'm there next month.

Edited by Bruno2006

get your iphone jailbroken u can then download any app for free i have posted a how too somewhere but cannot remember where if you need to know let me know and ill tart a whole topic on it but for a start have a look on www.redmondpie.com im giving my secret away here i charge £15 here at home hope this help ive got 2 pages of thai apps including Thailand tomtom satnav for free

IMG_05701.PNG