IGNORED

Where to exchange money?

pattaya-dreamer

Just wondering where is the best exchange rates usually? at the airport as soon as you arrive you go to exchange some money or you can find better rates in pattaya or bangkok city?

thanks

THE WEST IS DEAD LET'S JUST MOVE TO THE EAST!!

IMO it is much simpler and safer just to use an ATM, have a second card as a spare just incase you lose the primary card and don't bother with worrying about getting the best exchange rate you can find. What would you prefer to be doing, wasting your time worrying about the extra couple of dollars you will save looking for the best rate or spending your valuable time enjoying yourself.

Living/working in Thailand its all ATM withdrawls for me, but even when on holidays I figure given that you only get X-amount of holidays off each year why spent 1 minute chasing the best exhange rate.

ATM

pros

Quick, accesible. They are everywhere.

Cons

Lower exchange rate, high fees from bank. Charged everytime you withdraw.

Go with the money exchange mate, better rates.

Best rates ive seen in bkk was in a small little place near pantip plaza..

Exchange rates in airport is lower than in every bank in Pattaya in same day. So do not change too much money in Airport, just for 1-2 days and taxi. The best way is take some cash with you and keep all other money on 2 different ATM cards. If you loose your ATM card you do not loose your money on it.

The rate at the airport is lower because SCB & TMB have a monopoly (duopoly) there. Both of these give the worst rate for £££s, at least, in LOS. The best rate for £££s is to be found at Bangkok Bank, closely followed the the ubiquitous Kasikorn (K-Bank).

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

Yep...as others have said take some cash with you....

Change only enough Baht at the airport (the first time you go) to get you to Bangkok or Pattaya. 2000Bt will be plenty.

Then I make sure that my room has a safe.

The 2 times I have been so far I have taken half of my money in Cash (large notes) and the other half in 3 different bank accounts/cards.

The reason why is that cash is very easy to exchange but also having 3 different cards means that if I lose on or it gets swallowed or damaged etc the card loss will not ruin my holiday.

Never take the cards with you when out drinking. Set a budget for the day...have a little emergency money tucked away just in case and also some extra Baht in your safe for the overnighter with if you have ran out.

Last trip I opened a Thai bank account at the K bank and have been transferring money across. The good thing about this is that I can take advantage of the good exchange rate at the moment (for Aussies). Its also a good way to save and if I lose or damage the card whilst over there I can easily get a replacement the next day.

If you think you will be coming back regularly then I would do this also.

I made sure that I went home with 5000 Baht this time in smaller bills. This will get me to Pattaya quicker and cheaper because I don't have to waste any time or money at the Airport exchange booths.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Ad don't change any money into baht before you get here. Airports outside of Thailand give horrible rates.

I usually change at a Super Rich in BKK once I arrive - they tend to have very good rates. But the bulk of my spending money is on my Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard 9Aussies - Get one now if you don't already).

The Wizard card has no ongoing fees, if you put it into credit before you go and only draw on this money there are no cash advance fees and wizard absorb the conversion fee.

If you use an Aeon ATM you don't pay the 150 bt withdrawal fee, and they have a good conversion rate.

one thing to remember - if you have, say a $2000 credit limit then you can only withdraw this amount in a billing period ... eg if you put 5 grand in the bank you could only withdraw 2 grand until your next billing cycle starts ... So make sure you have enough room to pay - you need to start with 2 grand and after a few months they will let you increase your limit.

• 1 month later...

The airport give you a lot less than you will get in pattaya,if you dont have any baht when you arrive its yr only choice, best to change enough for the taxi and change the rest when you get to Pattaya.

<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>Quotable Quotes......

"IM AN AUSSIE! OF COURSE I GO DOWN UNDER"........AUSSIEASSMAN

"I BRINGS THE RUCKUS TO THE LADIES"

"HOW YOU GOING TO FUCK BITCHES IN A TWIN BED"?

"BLACKMAN DOING HIS THING BABY, BARACK OBAMA MOTHERFUCKER,BARACK OBAMA IM THE PRESIDENT OF HITTIN THAT ASS"!

"YOU CAN HAVE YOUR WIFE BACK MAN,I DONT WANT THE BITCH NO MORE, I JUST SAID I HIT IT AND I QUIT IT"!

.......LEON BLACK

"WOKA WOKA".....FOZZY BEAR & SHAKIRA

The money exchange across from champagne agogo gives better rates than the banks. I took $5000 cash last trip, and can only account for 3000. I don't know if I left it in a safe or what. But worrying about the cash is a problem too. Now I'll use the visa. Safer, even if it costs more.

• 2 weeks later...

My practice has been to always take home with me enough Thai baht for cash expenses during the first day or two in Thailand on my next trip, in my case Th Bt 5,000 .Then if convenient, I try to change my Australian cash which I bring with me at Super Rich, because I find them to consistently offer the best exchange rate. Even then though different Super Rich outlets offer different exchange rates on the same day. I have found that the outlet near World Trade centre to be pretty much the best, although as I usually stay around the Sukhumvit area, I often use the Super Rich outlet in the Skytrain station opposite Emporium shopping centre as I cannot be bothered sometimes catching a skytrain to Chitlom and walking to Super Rich.

I am thinking though next time, of openning a local bank account and just withdrawing the money as I need a top up, as mentioned by a BM earlier in this thread. A couple of my mates do the same thing. It seems to have the benefit of not needing to have large amounts of currency and also of being able to deposit into the Thai account from Home when exchange rates are favourable.

The money exchange across from champagne agogo gives better rates than the banks. I took $5000 cash last trip, and can only account for 3000. I don't know if I left it in a safe or what. But worrying about the cash is a problem too. Now I'll use the visa. Safer, even if it costs more.

dont worry your amongst friends i think all of us here can only acocount for 3000 of every 5000 we spend. :07::07::07::07::07:

• 2 weeks later...

the exchange rate @ the airport will always be lower. I usually change a minimum amount...say about 100-200 USD...enough to get me through the first day until I can figure out which offers the best F/X counter in town.

Previous Trip Reports:

If you use an Aeon ATM you don't pay the 150 bt withdrawal fee, and they have a good conversion rate.

Just noticed the response - Where in Patts are there Aeon ATM's? (not too familiar wirh many areas)

Was charged 150 baht + could only draw out 5000 baht per time using Bank of Siam ATM(Purple in Colour I think), When I used my Credit Card didn't have a limit but still charged 150 Baht everytime.

Irish by Birth; Munster by Grace of God.

To the Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Impossible.

CountdownClockCodes.com