IGNORED

Jasmine Hotel

gulls123

I have no problems with the ladyboy bars outside, however, they are noticable. But just ignor them, nay worries

This is part of Pattaya.

They are friendly, funny, and everytime I went pass them we had a joke.

Also sometimes there is one or two that are realy stunners. couldn't believe they were staying there and not try their chance in the light of Walking Street.

Popped in to look at the rooms today during my morning beach walk (nothing better to do!). A pleasant girl gave me the key to a second-floor room which was medium-price for monthly rental.

Dark corridors. Clean new elevator.

I dont know what the smell in the room was but it was truly evil, though oddly after a few seconds I couldn't smell it any more.

Large cigarette burn on the bedspread. Lovely view of some water tanks and another hotel about 2 metres away. Decent shower area. Room was clean but "tired". Big fridge. Hot plate. Sink.

There was a attractive indoor pool in the gloomy bar area but I dont imagine it gets much use as anyone swimming there is in full view of the reception area and the entrance. Maybe some people like that.

My main concern is the potential noise from the surrounding bars/action, though of course in the morning it was quiet enough.

I have stayed here a couple of times but the pool and elevator are new(ish) so haven't seen them yet.

Not noticed any smell issues, had no noise problem from surrounding establishments although I dont generally return to sleep until between 2am and 4am.

Not noticed the gloomy corridors but agree that the view from some rooms isn't great - that doesn't bother methough as not there for sightseeing.

I'm staying in the Jasmine at the moment for the Christmas/New Year week. Usually, when I'm in Pattaya, I prefer to spend a bit more on one of the more comfortable 4* hotels - but at this time of year the prices of my usual haunts are absolutely outrageous. I would expect a bit of a high season premium, but places like Tim Boutique and LK Metropole have rocketed from their usual 1500-1800 to 8-12K. Does anyone actually pay these sorts of rates - I, for one, kind of object to paying six times the usual price! Anyway, I therefore looked at the budget hotels, and the Jasmine looked good on its web site - and at 850 baht it is certainly cheap. It is an odd mixture of exceeded expectations in some areas and problems in others - if they can do something about these problems, then it has the potential to be an outstanding little hotel.

The good.

The location is excellent, tucked in an alley off Walking Street. In my room, at least, the noise is barely noticeable. The owners have put a lot of effort into the public areas of the hotel. The pool/bar area off of the lobby is very nice, although I can't see anyone wanting to use a pool in a hotel lobby on Walking Street (I have never seen anyone in it). There is a brand new lift, and the general decor is very good (the main stairs are very attractive with nice tiles, floral decorations and carvings). The staff are helpful, and speak reasonable English, and there is a fast and reliable free wifi throughout. As well as aircon there is a powerful ceiling fan in the rooms - which is a very nice feature.

The bad.

It is a pity that the same effort spent on the public areas hasn't been spent on the rooms. Mine, at least, is decidedly tatty. It is clean enough, but has definitely seen better days. There is a cooking area, with electric hot plates with wiring that looks as though it would kill you if you turned it on (I did do so, very carefully, just to see what would happen - it didn't work). The smell that others have mentioned is noticeable, and I certainly recognized this from living in damp hovels in my student days. It is mildew. Harmless, but unpleasant. I guess that they have some insulation in the spaces between floors that has been allowed to get damp and moulder. It isn't too bad if you squirt air freshener around and leave the windows open every time you go out. On the subject of windows, the view from my room is indeed of a wall a few feet away - which means that there is very little natural light in the room. This is one of the cheaper rooms, though (the better ones were all fully booked). Lastly, those infamous towels. They are perfectly clean (mine smell slightly of soap), but they are still very unpleasant. They were obviously designed to be long lasting a long time ago. They are very thick but coarse and not particularly absorbent. They are heavily worn and the edges are badly frayed. Almost nothing is provided in the bathroom (two very tiny bars of soap - nothing else).

In conclusion, this is a cheap hotel and you get what you pay for. If you do stay here, then you need to reckon to do some urgent shopping at the mini-markets - a full set of toiletries, a can of air-freshener and your own set of towels are absolutely essential. If only they would buy some new towels and fix the mildew problem then this would be a very nice little hotel. If they would renovate the rooms as they have the public areas - then it would be an absolute gem and would tempt me away from the 4* places I usually frequent. As it is, it is convenient and cheap but I would be fairly unlikely to return.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

This hotel is only 5 years old and already showing signs of wear, so much for thai construction standards. The pool area was initially a restaurant, then converted into a GoGo Bar, then back to a restaurant, and then a GoGo Bar again. If no guests are going to use the pool, they'll probably try again as a GoGo with shower shows. I think they just wanted to list they had a pool on their website. I stay here for the Walking Street location, roaches chased me out of the Diamond Beach hotel, which also has a dysfunctional pool.

The cooking facilities present a fire hazard. During one stay, someone on the 4th floor threw their bag on the counter and accidentally flipped the power switch, causing fire damage to the room and adjoining rooms.

If you have them do your laundry, it comes back smelling like detergent, just like the towels. I really wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have my laundry rinsed.

Still, it's one of the better options for accommodation in the Walking Street area.

Edited by Piece Corp

Retired

This hotel is growing on me. I have been here for four days now. The smell has completely gone by the simple expedient of leaving the windows open when I'm out. They do have a mildew problem, but It only gets smelly with a lack of ventilation. That explains why some people notice the smell and others do not. Also, this morning, I had a brand new pair of towels delivered - so they do replace them occasionally.

It is never going to be anything other than a budget hotel - but fir the price it really is pretty good.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

This hotel is growing on me. I have been here for four days now. The smell has completely gone by the simple expedient of leaving the windows open when I'm out. They do have a mildew problem, but It only gets smelly with a lack of ventilation. That explains why some people notice the smell and others do not. Also, this morning, I had a brand new pair of towels delivered - so they do replace them occasionally.

It is never going to be anything other than a budget hotel - but fir the price it really is pretty good.

Sums up my opinion. Interested to see the pool as it wasn't there on my last trip at the start of 2010 and only photos I have seen have been the ones on their website. I also can't imagine it getting used much but as a gogo it was also pretty quiet too.

• 1 year later...

Been here 4 or 5 times and never ever seen anyone in their pool. Here are a few extra pics from my latest October 2012 trip.

Superior+ Room:

post-35986-0-86916300-1352253680.jpg

Balcony day:

post-35986-0-99112300-1352253706.jpg

Balcony night:

post-35986-0-89191100-1352253733.jpg

One of the great features I like about Jasmine is it's location just on the corner from Marine Disco:

post-35986-0-20926700-1352253758.jpg

Great for those hit & runs:

post-35986-0-63592700-1352253776.jpg

Edited by Marvin Nash

I stayed there for 3 nights a couple of years ago. If you want to be on Walking Street then the location is great. They didn't have the "pool" when I was their. Rooms are nothing special but it is cheap for the central location.

I enjoy the location of the hotel and I like the room size. The beds for me were shit though, but I've slept on worse. That all being said I still am booked at this hotel in December.

Some of the rooms suffer from noise from the Soi (Soi BJ) - in particular, the very loud music from the bar on the corner of BJ and WS.

Edited by Bazle