Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai man use of Ka instead of Kap

R-KivE

Guest Harlequin

Well a few of you disagree with me - your prerogative - but I've lived and worked here a long time - I know it IS used by non gays/katoeys, as I described.

Well a few of you disagree with me - your prerogative - but I've lived and worked here a long time - I know it IS used by non gays/katoeys, as I described.

I'm sure that you're correct, the circumstances in which you heard it used matched the circumstances in which grumpy heard it used (flirting/showing affinity). I've never heard it used that way myself and would never use it that way personally, but I don't doubt what you say.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Guest Harlequin

Ooops - guess I appeared put out! I didn't mean it hat way. Just that 'yes' you can use it - but I doubt 99% of the girls in Pattaya hear it at all, especially from a foreigner - its worse than attempting to 'wai' correctly. Better off forgetting about it - offer to buy her a drink, everyone will end-up much happier! :)

Im looking for a definite answer guys.

Maybe he is a secret gay.

But I remember hearing something along the lines of, that if a person is high up or something, they are able to use the oposite version. Is this correct? someone must know

The use of 'Ka' by males is not common place for general chit chat amongst people you are just meeting and greeting.

'Ka' can be used in an entirely appropriate manner when the relationship is very close ie long term wife/partner/family member.

It also has the flip side of being cute/camp, but in an alpha male -esque way it still has its place, but not for people you are not very close with.

Cheers

LULT

also to go along with the same topic...

my girlfriend says khrap all the time and when i look at her she just giggles.. but tells me never say ka.. its one of those things cute girls can get away with.. ou can get away with ka when it is completely obvious that you are joking around and having a laugh like when you imitate a girl.. its not your first language so for all farang i would recommend sticking to what you know because the joke or seriousness will be lost in translation..

also, i have heard men refer to themselves as chan instead of puhm.. from my understanding it is not gay but a very relaxed pronoun used with friends.. but again, stick with the solid facts.. man=puhm and khrap..

girl=chan, di-chan and ka...

Heard farang men use ka and in the cases I have seen I guess that they learned a few phrases from BG's and the Thai people they speak to don't want to make them lose face by correcting them.

All the Thai men I have heard so far using ka have been very obviously gay.

I always found it to be effeminate men that say ka at the end and then it's not a regular thing, for example they may say it with a friend or when doing some comical flirting but they wouldn't say it in front of their boss or the doctor etc.

krap for a girl, just thought that this was a kinda joke cute things they do.

personally i'd avoid saying ka, haha. Unless i'm doing one of my famous impressions that is.

kap,i thort it was krap for a man to a lady..now my head hurts...

think if i'm reading it right. kap and krap are the same, kap is just a more casual.

Edited by herds

Im looking for a definite answer guys.

Maybe he is a secret gay.

But I remember hearing something along the lines of, that if a person is high up or something, they are able to use the oposite version. Is this correct? someone must know

That is not correct - he may be gay or katoi (sme thing isent it) or a Tomboy uncertain of using khaa or Khrap

also to go along with the same topic...

my girlfriend says khrap all the time and when i look at her she just giggles.. but tells me never say ka.. its one of those things cute girls can get away with.. ou can get away with ka when it is completely obvious that you are joking around and having a laugh like when you imitate a girl.. its not your first language so for all farang i would recommend sticking to what you know because the joke or seriousness will be lost in translation..

also, i have heard men refer to themselves as chan instead of puhm.. from my understanding it is not gay but a very relaxed pronoun used with friends.. but again, stick with the solid facts.. man=puhm and khrap..

girl=chan, di-chan and ka...

And your sure she is not lesbian :-) never heard that before but the Chan and Kraph thing you got right!

kap,i thort it was krap for a man to a lady..now my head hurts...

Well Kap is more isan style while khrap is more upperclass - the more you role on your RRRRR the more upper :-) Love isan girls by the way and dont give a shit if it kap or kraappphhhh :-)

Well Kap is more isan style while khrap is more upperclass - the more you role on your RRRRR the more upper :-) Love isan girls by the way and dont give a shit if it kap or kraappphhhh :-)

I always thought that 'Kap' was lazy talk by security guards. 'Sawasdee Khrap' became 'Khrap', which was then contracted to 'Kap'.

Much like the rag n bone man. He starts off by repeating 'rag & bone', which turns into 'rag bone', then finally 'rabo'.

I'm showing both my age & northernness here. Where's my whippet?

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

I was trying out my first bit of thai and was corrected to use "kap or krap" not the "ka" I was using as it was what I heard.....

This now makes so much of a understanding....have to admit not a real problem...Most BG's were happy that I was trying

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

I was trying out my first bit of thai and was corrected to use "kap or krap" not the "ka" I was using as it was what I heard.....

This now makes so much of a understanding....have to admit not a real problem...Most BG's were happy that I was trying

Whatever we do they are happy :-).... I have tried speaking a lot of Thiai in a bar - response "ohhh you are so good U learn long time" repeating the same sentences to a Thai friend , her response " what the fuck are you saying" :-)

If you want fun - just nick your head when the BG talk and sometimes say Khrap or just ahh - they think you speak fluent Thai.

Just a funny story about Thai language and misunderstandings. A nice girl I really liked invited me to see her family in Pattaya ( ant and stuff) . During the visit we where looking in a phote album and her aunt asked me if I wanted to see the girls mother. As I am polite i said yes expecting a photo to show up - never came. However next day I understood that it was for real and not only the mother but the whole package was on the way by train in order to meet me :-) ... I thought okay got a stay with them for some days. 15 minutes after i saw them my girl asked me if I wanted to ask her mother something - I knew what the meant and strated looking for words, But her mother came ahead of me and said If you love her I say ok - what could I do ???. I said I love her ( what I did and still do but ....) .

Guys Khrap can be a dangerous word

And your sure she is not lesbian :-) never heard that before but the Chan and Kraph thing you got right!

i only dream about her being a lesbian.. or at least bi... oh man do i dream.. lol..

I always thought that 'Kap' was lazy talk by security guards. 'Sawasdee Khrap' became 'Khrap', which was then contracted to 'Kap'.

Much like the rag n bone man. He starts off by repeating 'rag & bone', which turns into 'rag bone', then finally 'rabo'.

I'm showing both my age & northernness here. Where's my whippet?

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

it will be chewing your cap in the parlour...next to the tin bath pops..

I had the misfortune to meet a falang (while looking for a new condo to rent) who liked to talk alot about himself and told me he did this "ka" thing because it was "softer" and more polite.

Twat. Not sure if he was gay, but he did have a ponytail.

I have a slight modificatin to what I said on this issue before (consulted an expert) . If grown ups are talking to children f.i.e a girl talking to a small boy she can say Khrap. Grown ups wo want to show there are close withs someone can use the opposite (woman khrap and men kaaa) but it is not at all common. Stick to the basic rules.

I have a slight modificatin to what I said on this issue before (consulted an expert) . If grown ups are talking to children f.i.e a girl talking to a small boy she can say Khrap. Grown ups wo want to show there are close withs someone can use the opposite (woman khrap and men kaaa) but it is not at all common. Stick to the basic rules.

In your case he was properly gay or addaped it as a habit as he was not born Thai

Guest Harlequin

kap - krap - the same.

Krap is more accurate, but as Thai people (in general) find it difficult to say the letter 'r' -"kap" is what you'll hear most often.

Or - why not try Krap-om (more like a yes sir or yes m'am) ;) Fun language isn't it!!

And - when you're feeling brave - introduce the Thai equivalent of Spoonerisms into play (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism) - start of with a simple "Hen Mhee" (look at the bear or do you see the bear) - meaning - "Men Hee" (smelly cu%t - I would like to say pussy, but its cu%t) - smile when you're doing it - you'll get away with it ;)

----------------------

I always found it to be effeminate men that say ka at the end and then it's not a regular thing, for example they may say it with a friend or when doing some comical flirting but they wouldn't say it in front of their boss or the doctor etc.

krap for a girl, just thought that this was a kinda joke cute things they do.

personally i'd avoid saying ka, haha. Unless i'm doing one of my famous impressions that is.

think if i'm reading it right. kap and krap are the same, kap is just a more casual.