IGNORED

Thai man use of Ka instead of Kap

R-KivE

My female friend, a half thai student recently started studying in Bangkok.

She told me quite a masculine looking bloke used ka at the end of his sentence instead of kap.

Why would he do this? is there a specific reason?

Thanks

gk9qT.png

maybe he doesnt know that only females use ka.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Im looking for a definite answer guys.

Maybe he is a secret gay.

But I remember hearing something along the lines of, that if a person is high up or something, they are able to use the oposite version. Is this correct? someone must know

gk9qT.png

He is not a closet gay he is saying that he is feminine and therefore gay

There are thai men who use ka but they just havent gone the whole hog in becoming ladyboys

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

I just read on the internet its used if you are speaking to a young person. Can anyone confrim.

gk9qT.png

I have only heard gay men use it mate

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

Ive learnt more already,

An older person will often use it to a younger, such as father to daughter to either show affection or to teach the use of the word for the person.

Makes a little more sense now.

gk9qT.png

...to teach the use of the word for the person.

This is the only time I've seen a Thai male use the term - and then it is with very young children.

Well my friend is 18 and only learning thai, so this could warrant his use of it?

She just wants to understand.

gk9qT.png

Ka i been told is a statement about your gender, I once say ka by accident and all the BG looked very werid at me and laughed.

To show affection it is 'ja' not ka.

Well my friend is 18 and only learning thai, so this could warrant his use of it?

She just wants to understand.

Thai like many languages have both a feminine and masculine attributes. If she is just starting to learn, and the person speaking to her knows this, then they might use terms the are correct for her rather than for him (use the feminine form), as many people while learning a language will mimic what they hear native speakers say.

I have a friend that learned most of his Japanese from his girlfriend (now wife), and still years later in many ways he still speaks like a girl. Anyone that is fluent or native will notice. But better to speak like a girl than to not be able to communicate at all.

My female friend, a half thai student recently started studying in Bangkok.

She told me quite a masculine looking bloke used ka at the end of his sentence instead of kap.

Why would he do this? is there a specific reason?

Thanks

I had the misfortune to meet a falang (while looking for a new condo to rent) who liked to talk alot about himself and told me he did this "ka" thing because it was "softer" and more polite.

Twat. Not sure if he was gay, but he did have a ponytail.

iv'e had a few girls use the KAP at the end also,, i always ask them about it,,, they just say "to be funny" thats it, nothing serious,,, my guess its a slang thing in the thai language,, something a non-native speaker will very rarely understand,,, best to avoid it if youre learning thai. stick with woman-ka, man - kap

I frequently slip up (normally after a few "tipples" and say Ka (or na Ka)- mostly because I usually talk to girls and hear them say it.

I've actually gotten more grief from expats (British wankers to the man) than local Thais.

Wouldn't worry about it too much - most Thais are more impressed at you attempt to speak their language.

Guest Harlequin

its okay to use it - you're just being 'cute' / nice - and only to a girl you're flirting with - you are showing affinity. I do it frequently when in cocktail lounges as do many of my Thai friends. But remember - you're not portraying the macho make vs female image her - more like empathy. Ja is also okay, but its not as 'cute' - I have girls use Ja to me at work but that's just because they know me well - its more friendly. I would never use 'ka' to any of the girls at work - it would send totally the wrong message - either 'gay' or they'd think I was on the pick-up.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions here. A man saying ka is not considered cute and is not used as a term of endearment. It is feminine and as already stated used by only women, gay men and gay men that are having hormone replacement therapy and/or surgical changes to their physical being (LB's)

But hey, like they say Up to you :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Gator001

Only ever heard it said (in the first person) by TG's and Kateoys (and in betweenies) myself and personally would never use it in first person conversation.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Only ever heard it said (in the first person) by TG's and Kateoys (and in betweenies) myself and personally would never use it in first person conversation.

When I saw you had posted Doc I thought I might have had to eat my hat. Thankfully not this time :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Gator001

When I saw you had posted Doc I thought I might have had to eat my hat. Thankfully not this time :GoldenSmile1:

Well , there could well be some circumstance in which it's first person use by a male is sociably acceptable (in the 'I'm a man' sense)....it's just that I haven't come across it yet.

I have a totally straight Thai man for a friend here in the states and he says "Ka" when he's sucking up to a lady friend... when na, ja, and na ja don't do it, he breaks it out.

Silly bastard. :)

I have a totally straight Thai man for a friend here in the states and he says "Ka" when he's sucking up to a lady friend... when na, ja, and na ja don't do it, he breaks it out.

Silly bastard. :)

Well I suppose Thai males have always been less afraid of doing things that we think of as feminine, like holding hands. But yes, Silly Bastard, there's no way he's going to get into her knickers with kind of chat!

Well I suppose Thai males have always been less afraid of doing things that we think of as feminine, like holding hands. But yes, Silly Bastard, there's no way he's going to get into her knickers with kind of chat!

As the doc says, total softcock. If you're masculine at all, don't do it fellas.