IGNORED

Mexican Food

ThaitshirtFactory

I have to disagree about Bob's. I had the soft shell tacos last week and wasn’t impressed, they were pretty tasteless to be honest.

I was having a chat with a bar owner somewhere on 2nd road, this guy came from San Diego so I thought he should know his Mexican food. He said Bob’s used to be the best in Pattaya but Bob had had to go back to the States for some family emergency and the new chef wasn’t quite the same standard.

Not sure when Bob will be back but I will give it another go when he does return.

• 4 weeks later...

how are the price for a nice meal to get power

The Blue Parrot, on the Soi with the jewelry store on beach road, about 2 blocks from the entrance to Walking Street, up a bit on the left.

Guys,

I'm pretty sure the OP means Tex-Mex. Of course you are not going to find REAL Mexican food (like the fare served in the family owned joints in Tucson) here in Pattaya. The market for it would be minuscule. Although, when you stop and think about it, I bet the Thais would really dig the stuff. Spicy!

With that being said, the chimichangas at the Blue Parrot are pretty awesome. Tequila Reef used to be hit-and-miss. For the last few years it is simply horrible. Mike's is passable. Bob's Barbecue is pretty good, but finding its footing at the moment.

Hope this helps.

I agree that the Chimichangas at Blue Parrot are awesome. If anyone ever went to Chi-Chi's In the US they would appreciate these chimi's as they are a total knock off which is a good thing. The Blue Parrot also has decent cheese but I will say they have horrible tortilla chips. I will stop back by this place on my next trip just for the chimi.

A question here while on the subject, I have not any real experience of Mexican food and only eaten in Tequila reef enchilladas or burritos, are these meant to be luke warm when served or piping hot,and those refried beans and such are pretty underwhelming. I love a good chilli cone carne but not luke warm,

Steaks and ribs obviously hot , Is it traditional because people living in hot countries are not to bothered if meals are just warm,

Asked a Thai girl I was with to ask the waitress heat up a luke warm noodle soup in kiss food restaurant she said in thailand we dont mind, hot or cool, mai pehn rai. ,

To the OP you can find good Mexican food here in Pattaya Soi Pattaya Road or Pattaya street something like that pretty close to Walking Street past the half way mark towards beach road is a good place on the right its not cheap it sells corona bears tequilla and real mexican food and to be honest i've had worse mexican food in mexico just look at the sign above shop it says mexican food, the reason its not been mentioned or is unknown is its virtually in boys town, a thai chick took me there i'd never have found it, owner is thai who spent many years in mexico go figure. They don't sell tex mex its mexican enchilads, burritos, chimy changers etc etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good mexican restaurant.

TSF

Not sure where you are from but i have not found any true Tex-Mex restaurants. I have found two that are not bad. Mikes Mexican restaurant on Soi 5 off of ThapPraya road a has a nice venue and the food is good. Has a bit of Thai twist but still good. The second place is Bobs BBQ on LKMetro. a different venue from Mikes but I enjoyed the food.

"Has a bit of Thai twist but still good." Some years ago a Mexican told me that many dishes in Mexican food are actually quite similar to Thai food.

The Thais have a dish that looks very similar to a quesadilla, I forget the name.

Retired

Great American Rib Company has nachos, qesadilla, taquitos on their starter menu, I've eaten at the Bangkok location and was very good, for some reason the website is not showing their Pattaya location, they were on Thepara Road between Pattaya and Jomtien: Great American Rib link

There are a handful of places that serve Mexican food in Pattaya; I'll name a few and let you make up your own mind about which taste best; Mikes off Thepraya Road, Tequilla Reef cafe off Beach Road/Soi 7; Blue Parrot on Pattayaland Soi 1, Bob's BBQ but it may have shut down; there's a place on the darkside mid way up Kao Talo on the left hand side but can't remember the name and I never see customers there (and I live on the darkside).

Now for my personal take on these places and to back my stuff up, I was born and raised in Los Angeles and spent many years in Texas, Phoenix and California.

Mikes and the Blue Parrot are the closest you will come to Mexican food in Patts. Tequilla Reef cafe to me seems like it's for the tourist; overpriced and waterdown. Mike's has it's flaws like diced carrots in the salsal but this is Thailand, so don't expect authentic Mexican food. Mike's or Blue Parrot IMHO is your best bet.

PS. Don't go to Mikes early in the day/afternoon, I think they re-heat the food from the day before, a Thai girl and myself ate there early one evening and we both had the sh*ts a few hours later.

Edited by Wolf Cat

As has been stated, you're not going to get real Mexican food here, or most places in the States for that matter. Mexican peasant food is pinto beans, vegetables and tortillas. They can't afford much meat. You've also got the difference between Baja Mexican that you find in California and the Tex-Mex you find along the Rio Grand. Add to that the fact that everyone's taste is so subjective that what one person may love another may hate. At most Mexican restaurants in the states you'll be eating American style Mexican.

I've had "real" Mexican food and don't care for it. Occasionally I even like Taco Bell. (Not that you can get it here.) So for me here in Pattaya my current favorite is Bob's. Dale has ramped up the spice in some of the items and it's made a big difference. He's also not buying the cheapest ingredients he can find as was happening before.

Had "real" Mexican food in Oakland Cali one time in a Latin neighborhood and could barely eat it. Asked for salsa, and the waitress gave me a bowl of chilies and was puzzled by my request. She took mercy and eventually brought some BBQ meat and tortillas. Americanized Mexican is more, err, user friendly. A different beast altogether...

Always eat a few meals at the Blue Parrot when visiting Pattaya. Never had a complaint. I am going to try out the Tequila Reef on this trip. I think I am going to try their big burrito that is on their website. I know it will not be like the Mexican food back in States or in Mexico itself, however it is close enough. Then again I might be surprised. There is a couple of Mexican restaurants here in Vietnam. One has awful food, however their tortillas are great. The other has very good food, except the tortillas are so so, and the mole sauce is not all that great.

• 2 months later...

Well food is important, but what about the margaritas in these places? I go to a Mexican for that, and sometimes jsut have that with some cornchips and salsa......