Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Mexican Food

ThaitshirtFactory

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good mexican restaurant.

Thai T-Shirt Factory is your one stop screen print and custom clothing solution.

Visit us now: ThaiTshirtFactory.com

If You Think It! We Can Print It!

Fatty's, opposite Bic C on 2n rd.

I used to recommend Mike's Mexican restaurant just off Thapraya Rd. The last time I was there, though, it really wasn't very good. Maybe it was just an off day or a new cook. I don't know.

no such thing as a good Mexican restaurant in patts, better yet no such thing as good Mexican food either

Edited by Jim Bob

It is all opinion. I like Mexican food. But then, I get the real thing in Arizona. Most of the cooks are Mexican.

In Pattaya I have not found what I consider good mexican food. There is mexican style food you can eat and it won't kill you and you might even like it but it isn't good mexican food.

I like Mike’s and Tequila Reef. Another plus for Mike’s is the margaritas. The mixes are freshly made.

sams.jpg

It is located 2 shops from OZZ Bar in the Shining Star Condo Building B.

It was pretty good. One of the best Mexican places in Pattaya, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions ... I am going to try some of them out.

Thai T-Shirt Factory is your one stop screen print and custom clothing solution.

sams.jpg

It is located 2 shops from OZZ Bar in the Shining Star Condo Building B.

It was pretty good. One of the best Mexican places in Pattaya, that's for sure.

Hi Ace3 -- I am not too sure where Star Condo Building B is ... can you give me a little more detail about the location.

Thanks

It is all opinion. I like Mexican food. But then, I get the real thing in Arizona. Most of the cooks are Mexican.

In Pattaya I have not found what I consider good mexican food. There is mexican style food you can eat and it won't kill you and you might even like it but it isn't good mexican food.

I have to agree with you on that. It does look similar to Mexican food but tastes no where near what it should taste like. I don't know if has to do with ingredients or what but there is obviously something lost in translation. That goes double for American breakfast and this is common worldwide not just in patts

I have to agree with you on that. It does look similar to Mexican food but tastes no where near what it should taste like. I don't know if has to do with ingredients or what but there is obviously something lost in translation. That goes double for American breakfast and this is common worldwide not just in patts

For good "American Breakfast" try the "Wild Chicken Bar" on Soi Postoffice near the corner of Second Road. Fairly decent omelets and hash browns, crispy bacon, etc.

For good "American Breakfast" try the "Wild Chicken Bar" on Soi Postoffice near the corner of Second Road. Fairly decent omelets and hash browns, crispy bacon, etc.

Thank you sir

I think it is ingredients. Especially the chilis. Mexican food will all taste the same if it isn't done right.

Mind you, that isn't really a horrible thing. Like I said. Some people might even like it and that's OK. I'm no food snob. We like what we like.

Just that when I'm there I don't eat mexican food. I eat what I can't get much of at home. I really like the Swiss and Belgian and other euro style restaurants. And of course thai food.

• 5 months later...

Ive had Mikes and in no recipe have i ever had carrots in the salsa and the carnitas were simply boiled pork(No tomatos, onions, cilantro, nada!) with sides that were entirely too salty. My visit to tequila reef was worse as i ended with a broken tooth and when i sent the rock that was in my nachos back to the kitchen my bill was updated with a side of jalapenos which came with the nachos on my first visit! Ai Corumba! Hands and feet down is the food at the Red Palm. I met the Chef and he is a bonafide chef from the good ol USA and was even born a few hours north of the border. They even make their tortillas daily. This guy even had a university degree in cheffing and certainly knows his cuisine. You guys should check it out! Soi Khaotalo north of sukhumvit. Formerly Red Palm Bistro

I used to recommend Mike's Mexican restaurant just off Thapraya Rd. The last time I was there, though, it really wasn't very good. Maybe it was just an off day or a new cook. I don't know.

Perfectly agree with you. Just had beef tacos there this afternoon. I can tell you the cook never seen or had one... Instead of ground beef she used boeuf bourguignon !

Rice & beans were below average and seasoning inexistent. It was better last year but not as good as Tequila Reef.

Guys,

I'm pretty sure the OP means Tex-Mex. Of course you are not going to find REAL Mexican food (like the fare served in the family owned joints in Tucson) here in Pattaya. The market for it would be minuscule. Although, when you stop and think about it, I bet the Thais would really dig the stuff. Spicy!

With that being said, the chimichangas at the Blue Parrot are pretty awesome. Tequila Reef used to be hit-and-miss. For the last few years it is simply horrible. Mike's is passable. Bob's Barbecue is pretty good, but finding its footing at the moment.

Hope this helps.

In a lot of ways Thai food and Mexican food have many of the same ingredients : lime juice, onion, chili's, cilantro.

Take larb moo for example, ( spicy chopped pork with all ingredients listed ) my uncle ( from Mexico ) was over one day and my wife had made some.

He said it would be great on a tortilla but my wife handed him the jasmine rice instead. I live in Southern California

and I know good Mexican food, if I thought I could not go with out it for a 3 or 4 week trip, I would pack some

canned refried beans, jar of salsa, corn tortilla's ( or instant masa flour ) and some spice to season the meat. I have never

had good farang food in Thailand, but then again I don't go there for the that.

I go for other things on the menu ;)

Next time in Bangkok, try Los Cabos Cafe on Sukhumvit Soi 14 (Cal-Mex style), better than anything in Pattaya.

Retired

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the suggestions ... I am going to try some of them out.

you might also want to checkout bobsbbq and texmex located at soi LK Metro

I second Bob's BBQ, had some Guacamole and a burrito there just last night, it was excellent. Since Dale bought out Bob, he has been expanding the Mexican menu, and it is, imho, quite good.

As has been stated, you're not going to get real Mexican food here, or most places in the States for that matter. Mexican peasant food is pinto beans, vegetables and tortillas. They can't afford much meat. You've also got the difference between Baja Mexican that you find in California and the Tex-Mex you find along the Rio Grand. Add to that the fact that everyone's taste is so subjective that what one person may love another may hate. At most Mexican restaurants in the states you'll be eating American style Mexican.

I've had "real" Mexican food and don't care for it. Occasionally I even like Taco Bell. (Not that you can get it here.) So for me here in Pattaya my current favorite is Bob's. Dale has ramped up the spice in some of the items and it's made a big difference. He's also not buying the cheapest ingredients he can find as was happening before.

Edited by probe

probe

no such thing as a good Mexican restaurant in patts, better yet no such thing as good Mexican food either

Mexican cuisine can be delicious if you know what to eat. Really. Those in the know, know whats up. Pozole? Chiles Rellenos? Tacos Al Pastor? Carnitas? All that good stuff. That's some world class peasant food. But then again. I've eaten it in Mexico, so I got to taste the best type.

• 1 month later...