IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Guesthouse

Daveo

Ken Dodd: The Biography by Stephen Griffin.

In Now @ Canterbury Tales Bookshop / Book exchange / Cafe, Pattaya.
51sVWs+fJML.jpg

This is the first complete biography of the last of the great British comedians.
A new generation of fans and comedians, including Johnny Vegas, Victoria Wood and Vic Reeves, are now rediscovering Dodd's unique talents.
Dodd has a huge and fiercely loyal fanbase and is still touring the country, performing in packed venues an average of two nights a week with his legendary four-hour sets.
'I do it because that is what I do. I do it because that is what I am,' he said, when asked why he continues with this punishing schedule. Ken Dodd's career has spanned over five decades as he went from singer to actor, and presently, most famously, comedian.
He is considered the last, great, music-hall-inspired variety comic, but what drives this man whose career has been tainted by hardship?
Dodd still lives in his childhood home of Knotty Ash and has never married, despite having two-long term finances.
In 1989, his strange relationship to money culminated in a trial for tax evasion, and he was also famously stalked by a mystery woman.
How did this feather-duster salesman become one of the most loved, though least-lauded, British comedians of all time?
Stephen Griffin interviewed friends, colleagues and fellow comedians to get inside the mind of the original Diddyman.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

True Grit: A Novel by Charles Portis.

true-grit.jpg

True Grit is his most famous novel, first published in 1968, and the basis for the movie of the same name starring John Wayne.
It tells the story of Mattie Ross, who is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash money.
Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood.
With the one eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory.

True Grit is eccentric, cool, straight, and unflinching, like Mattie herself.
From a writer of true cult status, this is an American classic through and through.
This new edition, with a smart new package and an afterword by acclaimed author Donna Tartt, will bring this masterpiece to an even broader audience.

The Survivor (A Mitch Rapp Novel) published 2016
by Vince Flynn.

51E1Pp-PmlL._SX274_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The #1 bestselling novel that picks up where The Last Man left off, The Survivor is a no holds barred race to save America and Mitch Rapp’s finest battle.

When Joe “Rick” Rickman, a former golden boy of the CIA, steals a massive amount of the Agency’s most classified documents in an elaborately masterminded betrayal of his country, CIA director Irene Kennedy has no choice but to send her most dangerous weapon after him, elite covert operative Mitch Rapp.

Rapp quickly dispatches the traitor, but Rickman proves to be a deadly threat to America even from beyond the grave.
Eliminating Rickman didn’t solve all of the CIA’s problems, in fact, mysterious tip offs are appearing all over the world, linking to the potentially devastating data that Rickman managed to store somewhere only he knew.

It’s a deadly race to the finish as both the Pakistanis and the Americans search desperately for Rickman’s accomplices, and for the confidential documents they are slowly leaking to the world.
To save his country from being held hostage to a country set on becoming the world’s newest nuclear superpower, Mitch Rapp must outrun, outthink; and outgun his deadliest enemies yet.

For the sake of saving time, where exactly is this bookshop located and do you sell used books? I love reading, especially on planes, and have a long flight back after my upcoming trip to Pattaya. Thanks.

Private Vegas Published, 2016, by James Patterson.

In Now @ Canterbury Tales Bookshop / Book exchange / Cafe, Pattaya....
5167MwnskYL._SX277_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Las Vegas is a city of contradictions: seedy and glamorous, secretive and wild, Vegas attracts people of all kinds, especially those with a secret to hide, or a life to leave behind.
It's the perfect location for Lester Olsen's lucrative business.
He gets to treat gorgeous, young women to five star restaurants, splashy shows, and limo rides and then he teaches them how to kill.

Private Jack Morgan spends most of his time in Los Angeles, where his top investigation firm has its headquarters.
But a hunt for two criminals leads him to the city of sin and to a murder ring that is more seductively threatening than anything he's witnessed before.
PRIVATE VEGAS brings James Patterson's Private series to a sensational new level.

Alert (Michael Bennett) published 2016 by James Patterson.

61MomPhltCL.jpg

"This is not a test" .... every New Yorker's worst nightmare is about to become a reality.

New Yorkers are not easily intimidated, but someone is doing their best to scare them, badly.
Why?
After two inexplicable high tech attacks, the city that never sleeps is on edge.
Detective Michael Bennett, along with his old pal, the FBI's Emily Parker, have to catch the shadowy criminals who claim responsibility, but they're as good at concealing their identities as they are at wreaking havoc.

In the wake of a shocking assassination, Bennett begins to suspect that these mysterious events are just the prelude to the biggest threat of all.
Soon, he's racing against the clock and against the most destructive enemy he's faced yet, to save his beloved city, before everyone's worst nightmare becomes a reality.

Leave the Grave Green by Deborah Crombie.

51RQ9BQB00L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

When Connor Swann, the dissolute son-in-law of renowned and influential Sir Gerald and Dame Caroline Asherton, is found floating in a Thames River lock, the circumstances eerily recall a strangely similar tragedy. 
Twenty years ago, the Ashertons' young son, Matthew, a musical prodigy, drowned in a swollen stream while in the company of his sister Julia, Connor Swann's wife.

Police Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James quickly discover that Connor's death was no accident, and that nothing in the Asherton family is as it seems. 
Connor, though estranged from Julia for more than a year, still lives in her London apartment, where his exploits with women and gambling suggest plenty of motives. 
The Athertons are far more attached to Connor than to their own daughter, and these are only the first of the Secrets that haunt the suspects. 
New lies cover older lies, as Kincaid finds himself dangerously drawn to Julia Swann, and Gemma must confront her own troubling feelings for Kincaid.
Many books like this in stock at 60 baht at Canterbury Tales Bookshop Pattaya.

Girl Missing (Previously published as Peggy Sue Got Murdered)
by Tess Gerritsen.

41fbhosnmrl.jpg

A beautiful young woman’s corpse is found dumped in a garbage strewn alley.
Now laid out in the office of medical examiner Kat Novak is an unidentified body that betrays no Secrets except for a matchbook clutched in one stiff hand, seven numbers scrawled inside.
When a second victim is discovered, Kat begins to fear that a serial killer is stalking the streets, using a deadly drug to do his dirty work. The police are skeptical.
The mayor won’t listen.
One of the town’s most prominent citizens, with a missing daughter of his own, is also Kat’s chief suspect.
As the death toll rises, Kat races to expose a deadly predator who is close enough to touch her.

For the sake of saving time, where exactly is this bookshop located and do you sell used books? I love reading, especially on planes, and have a long flight back after my upcoming trip to Pattaya. Thanks.

Next door to Triangle Bar, and across-the-road from Amon's massage, on Soi Chaiyapoon. 

Open 8am to 8pm, and definitely Pattaya's best book-exchange, 50%-credit on your next read against all returned-books.

Also a popular place for an extended-breakfast/gossip with other farangs.

Jump off the song-thaew along Soi Buakow at Witherspoon's/Oasis-a-Go-Go.

http://www.canterburytalescafe.com/UK/BookShop.php

Edited by semi-retired member

Moab Is My Washpot by Fry, Stephen.

21130_fry-stephen_moab-is-my-washpot.jpg

Moab is My Washpot is in turns funny, shocking, tender, delicious, sad, lyrical, bruisingly frank and addictively readable.

Stephen Fry's bestselling memoir tells how, sent to a boarding school 200 miles from home at the age of seven, he survived beatings, misery, love, ecstasy, carnal violation, expulsion, imprisonment, criminal conviction, probation and catastrophe to emerge, at eighteen, ready to try and face the world in which he had always felt a stranger.

Fry writes with the wit to which we have become accustomed, but with shocking candour too.
In an age of glossy celebrity autobiographies, Moab is My Washpot sets the high standard to which others should aspire.

The Girl in the Spider's Web: Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series. published 2016 by David Lagercrantz.

In stock Now @ Canterbury Tales Bookshop / Book exchange / Cafe, Pattaya.
51ralJ0EmKL.jpg

Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist have not been in touch for some time.

Then Blomkvist is contacted by renowned Swedish scientist Professor Balder. Warned that his life is in danger, but more concerned for his son's well being, Balder wants Millennium to publish his story and it is a terrifying one.

More interesting to Blomkvist than Balder's world leading advances in Artificial Intelligence, is his connection with a certain female super hacker.

It seems that Salander, like Balder, is a target of ruthless cyber gangsters and a violent criminal conspiracy that will very soon bring terror to the snowbound streets of Stockholm, to the Millennium team, and to Blomkvist and Salander themselves.

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams published 2016 by Stephen King.

In stock Now @ Canterbury Tales Bookshop / Book exchange / Cafe,
51uL4szsAuL.jpg
The bestselling author delivers an 'outstanding' collection of thrilling stories, introducing each one with a fascinating piece on when, where or how he came to write it.

There is a treasure here for every reader, a man who keeps reliving exactly the same life, repeating his mistakes over and over again, a columnist who kills people by writing their obituaries, a poignant tale about the end of the human race and a firework competition between neighbours which reaches an explosive climax.
And, exclusive to this paperback edition, a brand new story 'Cookie Jar'.

'I made them especially for you,' says King.
'Feel free to examine them, but please be careful.
The best of them have teeth.'

TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR THE BAZAAR OF BAD DREAMS

Introduction
Mile 81
Premium Harmony
Batman and Robin Have an Altercation
The Dune
Bad Little Kid
A Death
The Bone Church
Morality
Afterlife
Ur
Herman Wouk Is Still Alive
Under the Weather
Blockade Billy
Mister Yummy
Tommy
The Little Green God of Agony
Cookie Jar
That Bus Is Another World
Obits
Drunken Fireworks
Summer Thunder

Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe. by Bill Bryson.

neither-here-nor-there.jpg

Bill Bryson’s first travel book, The Lost Continent, was unanimously acclaimed as one of the funniest books in years.
In Neither Here nor There he brings his unique brand of humour to bear on Europe as he shoulders his backpack, keeps a tight hold on his wallet, and journeys from Hammerfest, the northernmost town on the continent, to Istanbul on the cusp of Asia.
Fluent in, oh, at least one language, he retraces his travels as a student twenty years before.

Whether braving the homicidal motorists of Paris, being robbed by gypsies in Florence, attempting not to order tripe and eyeballs in a German restaurant or window-shopping in the sex shops of the Reeperbahn, Bryson takes in the sights, dissects the culture and illuminates each place and person with his hilariously caustic observations. He even goes to Liechtenstein.

Edited by Daveo

The Regeneration Trilogy: Regeneration; The Eye in the Door; The Ghost Road by Pat Barker.

book-cover.jpg

A trilogy of novels set during World War I which mingle real and fictional characters. The Ghost Road won the 1995 Booker Prize.

The Moonshine War: by Elmore Leonard.

51kJ5NoU-vL.jpg

The great Elmore Leonard, “America’s pre eminent crime fiction writer” takes readers back to Prohibition days in the back hills of Kentucky in a rollicking story of guns, greed, and illegally brewed corn liquor.
The Moonshine War is a tale of the chaos that ensues when a gang of city slickers sets out to steal thousands of dollars worth of homemade whiskey from a hell raising country boy who is anything but the easy mark they were expecting.
A rediscovered Elmore Leonard classic, The Moonshine War is a wild ride bursting with the author’s hallmark delights, the twisty plot, the gripping suspense, the wit and, of course, the razor-sharp dialogue.
It is no wonder that the creator of U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens lately the star of the hit TV series Justified, is always listed among the mystery and crime fiction elite, including John D. MacDonald, Dashiell Hammett, James M. Cain, and Robert Parker, and often at the very top of the list.

Bold Sons of Erin by Owen Parry.

257165.jpg

A long story about a short man.
The writer digressed a lot and, about every 10 pages or so, he would remind you of how short the protagonist is.
This was one of those books where I wanted to yell "get on with it" at the writer.
The book is a murder mystery that takes place during the Civil War in a coal mining town populated by Irishmen.
There are a lot of details about the war and politics of the time.
If I were a Civil War buff I might have found that interesting, but I wished he'd stick to the mystery.

How the West Was Won, by Louis L'Amour.

365780_150926154805_west_was_won.jpg

They came by river and by wagon train, braving the endless distances of the Great Plains and the icy passes of the Sierra Nevada.
They were men like Linus Rawlings, a restless survivor of Indian country who’d headed east to see the ocean but left his heart and his home in the West.
They were women like Lilith Prescott, a smart, spirited beauty who fled her family and fell for a gambling man in the midst of a frontier gold boom.
These pioneering men and women sowed the seeds of a nation with their courage and with their blood.
Here is the story of how their paths would meet amid the epic struggle against fierce enemies and nature’s cruelty, to win for all time the rich and untamed West.
Many old but classic and readable books like this at Canterbury Tales Bookshop, Pattaya for 60 baht

Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar, by Simon Sebag Montefiore.

Stalin1.jpg

This widely acclaimed biography provides a vivid and riveting account of Stalin and his courtiers killers, fanatics, women, and children during the terrifying decades of his supreme power.
In a seamless meshing of exhaustive research and narrative, Simon Sebag Montefiore gives us the everyday details of a monstrous life. We see Stalin playing his deadly game of power and paranoia at debauched dinners at Black Sea villas and in the apartments of the Kremlin.
We witness first-hand how the dictator and his magnates carried out the Great Terror and the war against the Nazis, and how their families lived in this secret world of fear, betrayal, murder, and sexual degeneracy.
Montefiore gives an unprecedented understanding of Stalin’s dictatorship and a Stalin as human and complicated as he is brutal.

Game of Throw-ins published 2016 by Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

Game_of_Throw-ins.jpg

I was a rugby player with a great future behind me.
A 35 year old father of five with an expanding waistline, who was trying to survive the bloody battlefield we call everyday life.

My son was locked in a violent turf war with a rival Love/Hate tour operator, my daughter was in love with a boy who looked like Justin Bieber and my old dear was about to walk up the aisle with a 92-year old billionaire who thought it was still 1936.

I was, like, staring down the barrel of middle age with the contentment of knowing that I was the greatest Irish rugby player who no one in Ireland had ever actually heard of.
Until a chance conversation with an old Jesuit missionary made me realize that it wasn't enough.

I was guided, as if by GPS, to a muddy field in - let's be honest - Ballybrack.
And there I finally discovered my destiny - to keep a struggling Seapoint team in Division 2B of the All Ireland League.

Or die trying.

The Road Home: The Aftermath of the Great War Told by the Men and Women Who Survived It, by Max Arthur.

8619848.jpg

Max Arthur has compiled the first person accounts from veterans of the Great War into a fitting commemoration.

Starting from the moment the guns all fell silent, the aftermath of World War I and its mark on history are reflected in the stories of the brave soldiers of the British, German, French, and Russian armies.

The Kill Switch (Tucker Wayne #1) by James Rollins.

22058577._UY200_.jpg

James Rollins and Grant Blackwood, the first installment in an exciting new thriller series based on the Sigma Force novels featuring former Army Ranger Tucker Wayne and his partner, Army working dog Kane, introduced in the bestseller Bloodline and the original story Tracker.

Former Army Ranger Tucker Wayne and his military working dog Kane are recruited by Sigma Force to extract a Russian pharmaceutical magnate from Siberia.

A scientific genius, the drug tycoon holds the biological key to a new weapon system, a danger engineered from the ancient past to terrorize the modern world.

From the frozen steppes of Russia to the sun blasted savannahs of Africa, Tucker and Kane must piece together a mystery going back to the origins of life on Earth, before the ancient peril can destroy the heartland of America, and with it, all of humankind.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving.

4473.jpg

Eleven year old Owen Meany, playing in a Little League baseball game in Gravesend, New Hampshire, hits a foul ball and kills his best friend's mother.
Owen doesn't believe in accidents, he believes he is God's instrument.
What happens to Owen after that 1953 foul is both extraordinary and terrifying.
At moments a comic, self deluded victim, but in the end the principal, tragic actor in a divine plan,
Owen Meany is the most heartbreaking hero John Irving has yet created.

Socrates Reprint Edition, by W. K. C. Guthrie.

51gHiuLqe+L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The third volume of Professor Guthrie's great history of Greek thought, entitled The Fifth-Century Enlightenment, deals in two parts with the Sophists and Socrates, the key figures in the dramatic and fundamental shift of philosophical interest from the physical universe to man.
Each of the two parts is available as a paperback with the text, bibliography and indexes amended where necessary so that each part is self contained.
Socrates dominated the controversies of this period, as he has dominated the subsequent history of western philosophy.
He was the first to identify and grapple with some of the most intractable and persistent logical and philosophical problems, but he was also and has remained a highly controversial figure because of his extraordinary personal qualities and his remarkable career. Professor Guthrie offers a balanced and comprehensive picture of the man, his life, and his thought.

Insurrection: Insurrection Trilogy Book 1 by Robyn Young.

Insurrection-Robyn-Young.jpg

1286 A.D. Scotland is in the grip of the worst winter in living memory.
Some say the Day of Judgement has arrived.

The King of Scotland rides out from Edinburgh into the stormy night. On the road he is murdered by one of his own men, leaving the succession to the throne wide open.
Civil war threatens as the powerful Scottish families jostle for power, not knowing that King Edward I of England has set his own plans for conquest in motion.

But all is not destined to go Edward's way.
Through the ashes of war, through blood feuds and divided loyalties, a young squire will rise to defy England's greatest king, his name is Robert Bruce.