IGNORED

Introduce yourself and some background on your Thai skills

LaaMok

I'm new to forums but not new to Thailand. Since 2002, I've been 7 times and I usually spend 3/4 weeks out there each visit. On every trip I always visit pattaya but I also like to travel around and I have now visited most major cities and tourist resorts.

I started to learn Thai 2 years ago after spending 17 days travelling around Thailand with a girl I met in Pattaya. I wasn't that interested in learning the language but because we visited places where English wasn't widely spoken she insisted that I learn some basic words and phrases. As the trip progressed I got more and more into the language, I bought some phrase books and started to enjoy trying out the new words that I had learnt.

Today, after 2 years of study, I would describe myself as an advanced beginner. I enjoy trying to talk Thai and I find that even without a firm grasp of the tones I can generally make myself understood. As for understanding spoken Thai, I still have issues with this especially if they talk quickly. When I'm out there I have started to watch a lot of Thai TV but I found on my last holiday that I was still struggling to understand a lot of what was being said. However, my main achievement so far is that I can now read basic Thai. I can read the menu, signs, and short stories written for children. I do occasionally have a go at reading a Thai newspaper but they are a nightmare. Also, I am currently teaching myself to write but I'm finding this very hard going.