IGNORED

Playing around with my new toy

Matrix

Great tip.... Would rather not use flash any how... Well see how the camera preforms under low light the 50 mm 1.4 should help too!!!, Can,t wait thanks for the advice Spanky99. Cheers

Showing off on that 1.4. :D I got a 50mm 1.8 which should do the trick I hope. Just ordered my 70-300mm for stealthy beach pics at range. Don't want to get :Busted: .

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Showing off on that 1.4. :D I got a 50mm 1.8 which should do the trick I hope. Just ordered my 70-300mm for stealthy beach pics at range. Don't want to get :Busted: .

Yes am looking forward to get some interest night scenery! And well if some of them beautiful girls just happen to get in the way well I'll just have to put up with it!!

For a walk around lens I'll be using a 18-250mm sigma which should come in handy......the 300mm should keep you outa trouble!!! And give you just enough range to run....if need be!,,ha,,ha.I have a friend who knows the layout of the place to show me around, we plan to be putting up some pics etc in the near future.

Yes am looking forward to get some interest night scenery! And well if some of them beautiful girls just happen to get in the way well I'll just have to put up with it!!

For a walk around lens I'll be using a 18-250mm sigma which should come in handy......the 300mm should keep you outa trouble!!! And give you just enough range to run....if need be!,,ha,,ha.I have a friend who knows the layout of the place to show me around, we plan to be putting up some pics etc in the near future.

I am planning on like 100 shots a day with my camera for real pics with at least 10 being of quality. For the TG shots, I got a Olympus point and shoot. No way am I going bar crawling with my DSLR. Too much gear to be around that much beer. :D

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Thanks jebb these are the things I really need to know, as I wish not to offend anyone,,! What should I expect in regards to the service? In what order is things etc?

As I remember the service was around 9 in the morning and most temples have a fair amount of natural light coming in but may cast shadows at that time of day. It went for about 30 - 40 minutes and the couple sit at the front facing the monks with the congregation behind them similar to a western wedding. There are a couple of things that you will want to get on film.... at some point the monk will get the couple to hold hands and he will bind them with a sash which is very important to the thais and makes a great shot and the monk will also put a smear of paint on the couples forehead similar to Indians which would also be worth catching. The place where the monks sit will be very colourful as will be the temple so take this into account. There is also a point in the ceremony where a bowl of water is used, I think to sybolically wash away the past and cleanse for the future. The female friends and family of the bride will also make some sort of offering in the way of food and fruit to the monks and should make a great shot also. As for not offending anyone, women should dress modestly, long pants worn by men and act demurely in the presence of the monks. I once went to a wedding (not mine) where the bride actually took a mobile phone call during the ceremony from her friend saying that she was running late. The monks never missed a beat so I dont think they will mind a photographer. Incidently the groom slept with the friend 2 nights before. True story!

image.png

Excellent info will come in very handy. How close do you thing I can get to the couple during the ceremony ? As I would love to capture to moments you describe! And well as for the groom and the friend...........hmmmmmm lucky boy!!!!!!

Glad to see some photo gear heads in here.

As alluded to earlier, do not shop for a digital camera. That thing will be mostly worthless in 3 years. Instead, show for lenses. That is what will produce images that pop and most lenses hold their values quite well.

Excellent info will come in very handy. How close do you thing I can get to the couple during the ceremony ? As I would love to capture to moments you describe! And well as for the groom and the friend...........hmmmmmm lucky boy!!!!!!

I do wedding photography from time to time. In general, if you want to capture 'moments', you want to stay far away and shoot people that are not looking at you and are not 'posing'. Once you get close, most people start to pose, look at the camera, and pics come out awekward instead of natural.

Great tip......this is my first wedding for a friend, so all advice is welcome, as stated before I will be using two pentax bodies one with a zoom 18-250mm and one prime 50 mm which on a cropped censor is around 75mm f1.4, hopefully this should cover most situations .I only just picked up the 18-250mm and am putting it through it's paces, so far so good! And thanks again dc_publius nothing worst than cheesy grins which don't reflex the moment,,,,!

As far as I remember, no restriction as to where the photographer could go but I would get the bride to ask the monks first. a couple of hundred baht in the bowl probably wouldnt hurt either.

image.png

As far as I remember, no restriction as to where the photographer could go but I would get the bride to ask the monks first. a couple of hundred baht in the bowl probably wouldnt hurt either.

I see bribes are in order!! :GoldenSmile1:ha!ha..... Thanks Jebb will do..... There sure to be some great shots...... Can't wait!

• 6 months later...

I have the 18-55 vr lense

Hello Matrix , hope your enjoying your new toy :Photo1:

make sure you make the NIKKOR DX AF-S 35mm f1.8 as your first purchased lens its a must by

35mm.jpg

Hello Matrix , hope your enjoying your new toy :Photo1:

make sure you make the NIKKOR DX AF-S 35mm f1.8 as your first purchased lens its a must by

Ditto on the Nikkor DX AF-S 35 mm F1.8. Great lens for price, sets up much faster than my 50 mm 1.8 because lens does not externally move and AF's faster and sharper. Got it for about $185.00 from Amazon.

Have tested on some shots back in US, will test it on Thai GF and willing model including extreme closeups this coming Friday, Japanese tsunami/radioactive clouds willing as I have to go through Japan. At least the carrier has resumed service through Narita at this time.