IGNORED

Playing around with my new toy

Matrix

Bought a new camera today, a Nikon D3000,and it sure is going to be a fun challange to try to master it.

Only ever had compact cameras before,both analog and digital,so i guess it will take some time to get use to it.

was having a test with it earlyer to see what i bought,and i post the first results here.

First pic is from a painting i had done in Pattaya about 3-4 years ago

DSC_0012.JPG

2nd pic i shot from the Pattaya By Night magazine.

DSC_0008.JPG

And as you can see,the result was pretty good, for a first timer that is.

Ps.Thanks to BigJimSlay and Slapman for some good advice.

Regards:Matrix

When the life as you live it goes titts up, can you press Ctrl-alt-delete to remove it or is that only on the internet?

Posted Image

Look forward to seeing the results... I'm sure you will be able to learn a lot from the guys who already use DSLR's

What lenses did you get with it?

Look forward to seeing the results... I'm sure you will be able to learn a lot from the guys who already use DSLR's

What lenses did you get with it?

I have the 18-55 vr lense

When the life as you live it goes titts up, can you press Ctrl-alt-delete to remove it or is that only on the internet?

Posted Image

I used to have an SLR in the old days of film, I'll have to get with it for the digital age. Congratulations on your new purchase, please share the results with us all.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Got a great link from Slapman,and i think it will come well in handy.

Here it is. (for the Nikon D3000 users)

Posted Image

Got a great ling from Slapman,and i think it will come well in handy.

Here it is. (for the Nikon D3000 users)

Only one thing I'd take issue with.

Why turn "image quality" down to "basic" or "image size" to "medium"? Memory cards are cheap and most computers have a 250GB drive++...that's a hell of a lot of pics!

If you can - take pics with the highest quality settings available...That's what your paying for :rolleyes:

Also with large enough and fast enough memory cards you shouldn't "hit the buffer."

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Only one thing I'd take issue with.

Why turn "image quality" down to "basic" or "image size" to "medium"? Memory cards are cheap and most computers have a 250GB drive++...that's a hell of a lot of pics!

If you can - take pics with the highest quality settings available...That's what your paying for :rolleyes:

Also with large enough and fast enough memory cards you shouldn't "hit the buffer."

RAZZ

Thanks mate,all advice is good and i do intend to go for the quallity,and not quantity......i did buy the 16Gb memory card along with the cam.

(and yes,i my self have set it to High and Large :) )

Posted Image

Got a canon d30 with F.4 plus twin battery grip etc for sale!! Amazing pics with the f1.4!!

15,000baht

Alot of members seem to be buying big cameras recently! How about a couple of pictures out your home window?

Lenses make a world of difference. I had a friend that had purchased a nice DSLR but had been letting it collect dust because it didn't thrill him. I gave him my old canon 50mm 1.8 when I upgraded to a Sigma 30 1.4(close to 50mm on crop cams) and he hasn't put his camera down since. You should be able to get a 50 1.8 for pretty cheap. and you'll love the results. I usually keep 3 lenses in my bag. My sig 30 1.4 , 28-135 3.5+ IS USM, and 70-300 4+ IS USM but I find my 30 is my lens of choice half of the time switching between the other 2 the other half. I thought about getting an L glass 28-300 to ditch the two zooms, but can't fathom spending twice as much on a lens as my camera cost lol. I was amazed at what I can hand hold with a 1.4 even compared to the low side of my low zoom at 3.5 with IS. Also fixed lenses are usually MUCH sharper and have less of the odd troubles that zoom lenses get.

A good way to really play with the camera is to just play with all of the manual modes. I usually leave mine in aperture priority because I like to have complete control over my depth of field, but always find uses for the other modes.

Also as a side note, as others have said, leave it on max res. The nice thing is that many pics you can just crop the good bits, and if you turn to resolution down you might kick yourself when you get a nice pic but can't see enough detail(looking for dew on the lilly). Instead of 1 big card, I usually keep several medium cards with me(I have 4 16 gig class 6 cards) and usually shoot in RAW + JPG. The bonus of shooting raw is you can make true white balance adjustments without affecting the image at all. THe other good thing about using many cards is that if one pukes you might not lose your entire vacation.

Maybe look into some white balance cards(18% grey card), a circular polarizing filter, a hood to keep the lens flare at bay. Just a few cheap things that add to your experience.

Edited by illuxion

Alot of members seem to be buying big cameras recently! How about a couple of pictures out your home window?

I was actually planning on doing that tomorrow mate,so everyone can see how much snow i have here(and i just hate it)

Posted Image

Could not take any pic´s today after work....since we have a hell of a snow weather here right not.

It was comming about 10cm of snow last night,and it is still snowing and they have "promised" us about 23-40 cm more tomorrow.

Can someone in Pattaya plz change with me?

I HATE THIS WHITE SHIT

Posted Image

Lenses make a world of difference. I had a friend that had purchased a nice DSLR but had been letting it collect dust because it didn't thrill him. I gave him my old canon 50mm 1.8 when I upgraded to a Sigma 30 1.4(close to 50mm on crop cams) and he hasn't put his camera down since. You should be able to get a 50 1.8 for pretty cheap. and you'll love the results.

I agree, I recently purchased a new canon 50mm 1.8 - probably the cheapest SLR lens you can buy these days - and I have to say I use it more than any other lens I own. On an aps-size sensor, 50mm is a great portrait lens. It is very noticeably much clearer and sharper than any of the "more versatile" zooms I own, which are all at least 3 times the price. Anybody who owns a canon camera who doesn't have this lens should get one. The thing is cheap and plastic, and the build quality is not good - so I'm sure it won't last long, but it is a simple and time-tested design that takes great images. There is of course a pro-version (the 1.4) which is much more expensive, but the 1.8 is only about $100usd! For a lens that takes such great photos, you can't beat that deal.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

Here are some pic´s from outside.

snö1.jpg

snö2.jpg

snö3.jpg

snö4.jpg

snö5.jpg

snö6.jpg

snö7.jpg

Posted Image

Keep up the good work I am sure we will see some new shoots & some sexy Lady boys soon.

we all like a new toy what ever it is. LOL.

:ShitHappens1:

I have wanted to get a digital SLR for some time but now I feel I would be joining a very nonexclusive club :ShitHappens1: so I think I will buy a push bike instead. That one in the snow looks rather nice.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Been out a bit today as well, but got a bit cold after a bit.......as you can see on the pic´s.

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

Posted Image

Another experiment.

DSC_0028.JPG

Posted Image

I dont think that you should have the date in the pictures but anyhow thanks for the pictures.

And it´s a little bit fun that you guys in the south get some snow to :)

I dont think that you should have the date in the pictures but anyhow thanks for the pictures.

And it´s a little bit fun that you guys in the south get some snow to :GoldenSmile1:

I did actually only have the date set on on my first times out with the cam,it´s gone now :22600584-Th:

And for the snow bit......well it was nice the first 1-1½ monh, bt now i am sick of it.

Posted Image

• 5 months later...

HI guys I am New to the forum and am travelling to Thailand in Oct to photograph a freiends Wedding, I'm looking of any advice inregards to equipment and customs that I need to be aware of , so I can plan a head. I have recently purchased a DSLR Pentax D7, sigma 50mm 1.4, and sigma 18-250mm. Thinking this would cover most situations, I also will be taking another body Pentax Kx to have both lense up and running durring the wedding as not to miss much.Any tips/advice would help alot!!!Another thing I would love to know good settings to capture Thai girls in the street at night with a blurry/neon backgrounds, was thinking a flash and a wide aperature should do the trick???Look forward to your reply

Another thing I would love to know good settings to capture Thai girls in the street at night with a blurry/neon backgrounds, was thinking a flash and a wide aperature should do the trick???Look forward to your reply

I haven't played with my DSLR enough yet in low light to give you setting info. I just lower my ISO and aperture until I get what I like. One thing I will say is using a flash is annoying as hell when snapping pics in monger areas. You are better off shooting without the flash. There is enough light around to shoot without it once you get your settings worked out. Check out Nuff's thread. He has lots of Walking St. pics that he shot without flash using a hybrid point and shoot.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

HI guys I am New to the forum and am travelling to Thailand in Oct to photograph a freiends Wedding, I'm looking of any advice inregards to equipment and customs that I need to be aware of , so I can plan a head. I have recently purchased a DSLR Pentax D7, sigma 50mm 1.4, and sigma 18-250mm. Thinking this would cover most situations, I also will be taking another body Pentax Kx to have both lense up and running durring the wedding as not to miss much.Any tips/advice would help alot!!!Another thing I would love to know good settings to capture Thai girls in the street at night with a blurry/neon backgrounds, was thinking a flash and a wide aperature should do the trick???Look forward to your reply

There is usually a "No photo" policy in Go Go bars. It would also be good advice to ask permission before taking photos in bars. Most girls will be ok but ladyboys will usually ask for money. I got married in a temple and it wasnt a problem with the monks taking photos. Jebb.

image.png

I haven't played with my DSLR enough yet in low light to give you setting info. I just lower my ISO and aperture until I get what I like. One thing I will say is using a flash is annoying as hell when snapping pics in monger areas. You are better off shooting without the flash. There is enough light around to shoot without it once you get your settings worked out. Check out Nuff's thread. He has lots of Walking St. pics that he shot without flash using a hybrid point and shoot.

Great tip.... Would rather not use flash any how... Well see how the camera preforms under low light the 50 mm 1.4 should help too!!!, Can,t wait thanks for the advice Spanky99. Cheers

There is usually a "No photo" policy in Go Go bars. It would also be good advice to ask permission before taking photos in bars. Most girls will be ok but Ladyboys will usually ask for money. I got married in a temple and it wasnt a problem with the monks taking photos. Jebb.

Thanks jebb these are the things I really need to know, as I wish not to offend anyone,,! What should I expect in regards to the service? In what order is things etc?