IGNORED

Mini Review: "Evergreen" new Areca Lodge building

bigkev

Just finished week stay the Evergreen wing of Areca Lodge. Just opened this month, and definitely still has that new place feel. I paid 1900 baht for fairly nice room with balcony, big tv (I think 37"), decent bath and comfortable bed. Larger suites still under construction from what I understand.

Past couple of trips I have stayed at LK Renaissance, and I would rate this property on a par with that at slightly lower price.

No wireless in rooms, but LAN connection generally satisfactory. Breakfast only ok, and they stop serving at 10:00, a little early for my own Pattaya habits.

A couple of rather inconvenient factors that perhaps will be worked out over time. First involves building location. I've stayed at Areca several times over the years. Originally in the front building, as that was all there was when I first visited (around 10 years ago), and it was a cut above other places in the price range. Then also stayed in second building when it was completed (along with putting up second building around five years ago, a second, and slightly nicer swimming pool was also added -- ought to list pools here as another positive point about the place). So, second building was located behind the first, and now third building (Evergreen) is behind that. Access to Soi Diana, then, entails walking through both of the first two buildings to get to the third one. Kind of a hassle, with alternative being to cut through car park and service walks. There is a "back" entrance to Evergreen, or really I guess it is the front entrance to the new wing, but it is from some road where there isn't much going on, and I expect most guests will naturally opt for the Soi Diani side for shopping, dining, other activities.

Positive aspect of Evergreen being stuck away behind the other two buildings is that the place is amazingly quiet -- didn't hear single sound to indicate I was in land of the beer bar and go-go. And I sort of like that in a hotel, being able to get away from chaos when I choose.

Second problem related to layout of lobby. Only way to get to pool, or to Soi Diana (see above) is to walk through restaurant. Not a big deal, but seems strange to me to have so much traffic passing through a dining area.

Overall, I'd give the place my recommendation.

Thanks for the review bigkev, toying with the idea of going there during songkarn and had totally dismissed that place.

Any input on a joiner fee?

Edited by jnalb64

[i][size="3"][color="#ff0000"][/color][/size] [/i]

What are you talking about? Is there a restaurant in the new building?

If your talking about the original one the dining room is off to the left when you walk past it to the front reception. You do not walk through it, you walk along the route between it and the front pool.

Regardless, I won't stay there again.

Say hi to the big mouth ladyboy receptionist for me. ;)

Edited by stanger69

What are you talking about? Is there a restaurant in the new building?

If your talking about the original one the dining room is off to the left when you walk past it to the front reception. You do not walk through it, you walk along the route between it and the front pool.

Regardless, I won't stay there again.

Say hi to the big mouth ladyboy receptionist for me. ;)

Yep, Evergreen has it's own restaurant, where Evergreen customers go for breakfast. It is to the left when you are standing at front desk. Grub seemed pretty much the same as what I recall was offered for breakfast in the place that serves buildings 1 and 2. Rest of the day I believe one orders from menu and I saw a few diners there during stay -- though far more people just "passing through".

Edited by bigkev

Thanks for the review bigkev, toying with the idea of going there during songkarn and had totally dismissed that place.

Any input on a joiner fee?

No joiner fee. Might be one of those places that charges if you bring back more than one at a time, but I didn't try that this trip.

Girl must leave ID card at desk, and I had to scribble my name on some kind of receipt each time I brought lady in.

The front of this building is right behind the Avenue shopping mall so very easy access to second road.....

Just found a youtube link...<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by Bagwan

No joiner fee. Might be one of those places that charges if you bring back more than one at a time, but I didn't try that this trip.

Girl must leave ID card at desk, and I had to scribble my name on some kind of receipt each time I brought lady in.

While there might not be a joiner fee for one guest, recent reports confirm that there is a fee for more than one guest and guests are often treated with disdain by the front desk staff. Combine that with the ridiculous rule banning guests aged below 20 and I would think this hotel should be off any serious monger's list.

Edited by brewster

:001_Thank_You5:

i asked them....

the answer...

Dear Mr.Michael

If you bring 2 girls , I charge 1 person 300.-baht.

Because 1 room can stayed 2 person over 2 person hotel charge.

Best regards,

Kwanta P.

Pictures from the new rooms would be great.......

While there might not be a joiner fee for one guest, recent reports confirm that there is a fee for more than one guest and guests are often treated with disdain by the front desk staff. Combine that with the ridiculous rule banning guests aged below 20 and I would think this hotel should be off any serious monger's list.

True as of last month.

• 11 months later...

Joiner fee still free for first guest. tip; if you are staying at the Areca or the Corona wings you can still use the Evergreen Wing to have you breakfast in,just present your ticket to the lady at the door. No problem. The only difference with the food is that they do not cook your eggs/omelet in front of you like they do at the other restaurant

Any pics of the new wing to share ?????

:001_Thank_You5:

It shuts down at dark.

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.

• 1 month later...

i atyed here in october 2010 irealy liked it

i just buttered up the desk staff i dont mind flicking a hundred baht note around whenever i come back

i had the time of my life there

they treated my girls ok never had to pay any extra for 2 i mean i never took 2 back at once but

i did take 3 girls there in 1 day 2 short time 1 long time and i never paid any extra

wow the memories

ill be there in aprill again

Here are some pics of the japanese style room in the corner. About 1500฿ a night.

DSC00198.JPG

DSC00199.JPG

DSC00201.JPG

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00197.JPG

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00204.JPG

Nice place, but the hotel staff are a little cheeky when you bring back a different girl every night. All in fun, though.

single-mum.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

It shuts down at dark.

Shuts down?

You are not allowed to swim at night, but I did every night when I came home anyway

The security guard told me it was not allowed teh first night, but the other nights he just watched me swimming.

• 4 months later...

Shuts down?

You are not allowed to swim at night, but I did every night when I came home anyway

The security guard told me it was not allowed teh first night, but the other nights he just watched me swimming.

Maybe stupid question for being in Pattaya but did you swim with friends or alone? As the problem most likely will be noise at night!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

• 7 months later...

Just finished week stay the Evergreen wing of Areca Lodge. Just opened this month, and definitely still has that new place feel. I paid 1900 baht for fairly nice room with balcony, big tv (I think 37"), decent bath and comfortable bed. Larger suites still under construction from what I understand.

Past couple of trips I have stayed at LK Renaissance, and I would rate this property on a par with that at slightly lower price.

No wireless in rooms, but LAN connection generally satisfactory. Breakfast only ok, and they stop serving at 10:00, a little early for my own Pattaya habits.

A couple of rather inconvenient factors that perhaps will be worked out over time. First involves building location. I've stayed at Areca several times over the years. Originally in the front building, as that was all there was when I first visited (around 10 years ago), and it was a cut above other places in the price range. Then also stayed in second building when it was completed (along with putting up second building around five years ago, a second, and slightly nicer swimming pool was also added -- ought to list pools here as another positive point about the place). So, second building was located behind the first, and now third building (Evergreen) is behind that. Access to Soi Diana, then, entails walking through both of the first two buildings to get to the third one. Kind of a hassle, with alternative being to cut through car park and service walks. There is a "back" entrance to Evergreen, or really I guess it is the front entrance to the new wing, but it is from some road where there isn't much going on, and I expect most guests will naturally opt for the Soi Diani side for shopping, dining, other activities.

Positive aspect of Evergreen being stuck away behind the other two buildings is that the place is amazingly quiet -- didn't hear single sound to indicate I was in land of the beer bar and go-go. And I sort of like that in a hotel, being able to get away from chaos when I choose.

Second problem related to layout of lobby. Only way to get to pool, or to Soi Diana (see above) is to walk through restaurant. Not a big deal, but seems strange to me to have so much traffic passing through a dining area.

Overall, I'd give the place my recommendation.

I have stayed at Evergreen 3 times now in the superior room. It is quite good. I decided to stay at LK Ren in April in a deluxe room. Its about 600 baht more but looks much nicer and is 20 m bigger. Why do you think Areca is as good?