IGNORED

Bars Continue To Be Ordered Shut At 3Am

7-Eleven

Bars continue to be ordered shut at 3am

The current bar crackdown which is forcing venues to close at 3am is continuing here in Pattaya. Some welcome the move where others including bar owners and Tourists are puzzled as to why they are conducting the closures at a time when local businesses struggle through the low season months. We were out and about at 3am on Monday Morning and saw the bar closures continuing. Local Authorities were deployed throughout the city to ensure that all venues including beer bars were closed at 3am. We understand the order for this closure has come directly from the Governor of Chonburi Province, Khun Saenee, however we are not clear as to why the order has been given. For now, the authorities are only warning venues that open after 3am, however we understand that action will be taken against venues if they continue to ignore the closure order.

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/august/news_17_08_52_2.shtml

It's impossible to keep up with the changes regarding bar closure times over the years. I feel sorry for some of the bar owners, they've had a tough time of late and all this unpredictability can't be helping. Having said that 3.00 am is later than the 'usual' crackdown closing time of 1.00 AM.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Why do these politicians not understand that they hurt the local economy in Pattaya very hard but also the economy in Isaan. I don't think \they understand the impact of their decision on the local economy at all. It is not the family tourists that really support the Thai economy and the rural families but whe do, the mongerers! We eat at thai-food-streetvendors, we drink in beerbars with Thai staff, we pay for f...... Thai ladies, we use Thai public and private transport, we sponsor Thai families,..... and all this money is far more support to thai economy than from normal tourism. Where some families who usually stay at large hotelgroups with organized groups or travelagencies spend almost nothing in local economy except some souvenir-crap !

Form economical view the Thai government should give us some privileges as we really help their country and people a lot!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

how come they are closing them so early,any time i been there they stay open as long r drinking

I'm probably being naive, but maybe they are trying to be smart.

Make a big deal about bar closing times in downtime when its doesn't hurt much.

Everyones see's they are doing a good job and they can lay of the heart and rake in the money come high season.

Trying to apply logic to these decisions is probably my downfall.. :10of10Score:

This appears to be a escalation of the Mayors 'Make Pattaya a family tourist town.' agenda.

I'm not sure how electoral positions are determined over there, but this guy is making himself as popular as a fart in a space suit with the business owners.

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

This appears to be a escalation of the Mayors 'Make Pattaya a family tourist town.' agenda.

I'm not sure how electoral positions are determined over there, but this guy is making himself as popular as a fart in a space suit with the business owners.

They do seem to be in denial over Pattaya's real place within their tourist industry don't they?

They do seem to be in denial over Pattaya's real place within their tourist industry don't they?

Agreed Doc. This guy is trying to appeal to the conservative element of Pattaya... good Thai values etc... unfortunately these values are not what have made Pattaya one of the 'Must See' tourist destinations of the male world.

How are electoral positions determined there? How long before we see the inevitable backlash?

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

I remember the days of forced closing at 1am !! We dont want that back anytime soon :)

Agreed Doc. This guy is trying to appeal to the conservative element of Pattaya... good Thai values etc... unfortunately these values are not what have made Pattaya one of the 'Must See' tourist destinations of the male world.

How are electoral positions determined there? How long before we see the inevitable backlash?

I always remember a Thai telling me in a condescending manner that Pattaya wasn't the real Thailand. I said fine but tell me who gets the cash that the place generates? Whatever Pattaya has become they have to take the responsibility for.

Thailand is a beautiful country but let's face it, Pattaya wasn't as blessed as many other parts of the country in terms of natural beauty. The thing is that the disparity between the reality of what Pattaya actually is and what they claim they want it to be is spreading confusion and throwing the owners of nightlife establishments into a position where they must have little faith in the authorities. On the one hand they know their money is coming from the 'single tourists' but on the other they have to suffer regulations brought in that are attempting to project the 'family holiday destination' myth.

There are so many other parts of Thailand that better suit the family holiday market.

It will last for another 5 days or so and I'm pretty sure that its got nothing to do with the Mayor.

Whilst I agree its crazy to be hurting the tourist industry Thais have always had a tit for tat mentality.

I would not be at all surprised if (influential) owners from Bangkok - I mean the BIG guys not the little bar owners - have not had some say in this. BKK has had 01.00 closing for years now and they hurt because Pattaya opens late.

Bangkok has always had a major say over what happens in Pattaya - just look at how the Pattaya police have to give deference when the BKK BiB are on town for one example.

Their motive is probably greed/jealousy but their argument will be that the law should be applied evenly. They are convinced that foreigners get a better deal (bollox) as I am aware they perceive most owners in Pattaya to be farang despite the fact its not really true.

Thinking laterally you could argue that 03.00 is late enough (don't hit me) - just get up a bit earlier and start earlier - still have the same number of hours in the day for the drinking/shagging ratio.

I am not defending it guys, just looking from a different angle.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I also agree with times being so hard for the owners, they should be able to stay open as late as possible

to make up for their losses they have experienced these last few months.

As long as they're able to run their business very smoothly, I don't think they should be forced to shut their doors

at 0300am.

I hate this Myth of pattaya being an upmarket family tourist location.

Its a shithole, everything is falling apart, no one gives a fuck, not even the McDonalds franchises understand basic customer service, the falang/expat culture while unique is nouthing like the real tailand, the seas/beaches are dirty and full of used condoms, rubbish and turds, so much shit nasty shit goes on behind the scenes if a fraction of it came out it would be the death of a family vaccation resort, and no one understands marketing.

Apart form P4P its only other saving grace is its cheap.

Do they seriously think they can compete with thousands of other family tourist destinations?

It survives because there is no other P4P competition of a similar size and price, and P4P customers keep coming back regardless of them stumbling from one PR disaster to the next.

I just hope the locals and see sense and get some pragmatic leaders in power.

Rant over :001_Thank_You5:

Look on the positive side..... If the bars go have to shut at 3am..... it just means you will all have to start earlier lol

I think 3 am is a good closeing time.Its alot better then the 1 am we had not to long ago. :SoWhat1::Think1:

babydollsaddict.gif

There are so many other parts of Thailand that better suit the family holiday market.

Officials have reasons to do what they are doing

1. "Family place" will allow them to extract much more money than ...current status

2. There are a lot of ways to develop family place. "Lonely farangs" do not spend a lot of money for luxury

And this plan is actually working. You know... there are a lot of russian tourists in Pattaya. A lot of them bring their family. This is because Pattaya became "not expansive Thailand holiday place" in Russia. No jokes, I'm serious. They live in their package tour hotels, go for russian restaurants... So they live their separate life and spend money. And I assure you they spend a lot in total

Officials have reasons to do what they are doing

1. "Family place" will allow them to extract much more money than ...current status

2. There are a lot of ways to develop family place. "Lonely farangs" do not spend a lot of money for luxury

And this plan is actually working. You know... there are a lot of russian tourists in Pattaya. A lot of them bring their family. This is because Pattaya became "not expansive Thailand holiday place" in Russia. No jokes, I'm serious. They live in their package tour hotels, go for russian restaurants... So they live their separate life and spend money. And I assure you they spend a lot in total

I too think that money is pretty high up in their thoughts. in the mid 90's the thais tried to capitalise on their tourism successes. They borrowed heavily to build hotels..........................especially 5 star hotels because they thought that 5 star hotel rooms would get 5 star money. The SE Asian currency crash in 1997 (that started in Thailand) meant that many of these projects were never completed. Because of these policies there was an abundance of quality accomodation but not many willing to pay the 5 star prices they had hoped for! Good news for tourists who could get them at a bargain price.

My point is that they overlooked the fact that people regarded Thailand as a 'value for money' holiday destination and it backfired on them. They might be in danger of ignoring the underlying facts regarding Pattaya's role in their tourist industry once again IMO.

I too think that money is pretty high up in their thoughts. in the mid 90's the thais tried to capitalise on their tourism successes. They borrowed heavily to build hotels..........................especially 5 star hotels because they thought that 5 star hotel rooms would get 5 star money. The SE Asian currency crash in 1997 (that started in Thailand) meant that many of these projects were never completed. Because of these policies there was an abundance of quality accomodation but not many willing to pay the 5 star prices they had hoped for! Good news for tourists who could get them at a bargain price.

My point is that they overlooked the fact that people regarded Thailand as a 'value for money' holiday destination and it backfired on them. They might be in danger of ignoring the underlying facts regarding Pattaya's role in their tourist industry once again IMO.

dr. O Boogie, You are one very smart man

I rember a bar back here, a bit rowdy, but always did good business. A new owner bought it. Tried to make it a family bar.kicked out most of the old customer, mostly for swearing. Got it all cleaned up and found out that those kind of families, really don't hang around in bars anyway. Now it's gone.

FYI Pattya doesnt exist in the TAT portfolio. They dont promote it at all. there are influential people in bkk who would be glad it it was wiped off the map altogether. its a big stain on the country. Can you blame them?

Course in the good old days, pta was a low key place few had heard about outside the real expat cirles and you were left alone to fornicate your fuckin life away so long as you didnt upset anyone. it worked like that for a long time.

Then pta and greed got too big for itself and started calling itself a city (it doesnt even have amphoe status only Banglamung has)

So its too in-your-face now for influential people to stomach and internationally infamous for all manner of drugs crime and depravity - wake up and smeel the coffee guys.

Dosen't worry me too much, I'm in bed with new love by then anyway.

I have a better time being in the sack earlier than most and getting up by midday.

A feed, Soi 6 a stroll down beach road, then Walking Street as soon as it opens.

So don't get the shits with it, it's their country and their officials, if you don't like the

rules, stop going there, find somewhere else like AC or PP.

Discussing this with a gogo manager last night.

Biggest problem seems to be the fact it constantly changes more than the time itself.

Everyone howled when BKK went to 03.00 and almost lost their marbles when it went to 02.00.

However the fact that 02.00 has STUCK (3 years now I think) means that everything has settled down and bars open earlier, people go out earlier etc. Still the same number of hours for drinking and shagging just different start and finish times.

Obviously 24 hour opening would be BEST but some consistency would be better than the constant changes whatever the rules applied are.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I'd prefer 0100, as I prefer to be back in room not to late given other distractions. Later closings mean bars want girls to stay in bar and attract customers, where as I would rather be be leaving bar with girl and without an unreasonable bar fine because the bar is open for many more hours.