Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Somerset hotel (Second road, in front of Central Festival)

YopYop

https://www.discoverasr.com/en/somerset-serviced-residence/thailand/somerset-pattaya?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=HQ-google-organic-alwayson-20230719-all-en-th-th-somersetpattaya-eme-gbp

Intro/Location

I have stayed at Somerset hotel last June 2023, very new hotel in front of Central Festival, on second road.

Very easy access to all activities (by walk to Tree Town, Baht Bus to Soi6 and Walkling Street). A new beer bar area has opened recently close to this hotel (Myth night bar beer town)

Check-in/Desk team/Guest policy

I arrive around noon from BKK airport, my room was hopefuly available and I got access earlier.

Very friendly security and desk team, smily and happy to support.

Very guest friendly, I have never had issue, including different guest (once at a time, do not try several) the same day. This was not obvious initially as the hotel looks very family oriented (kids areas, swimming pool boat...) but this is the case and still in 2024 based on recent comments checked.

Room

I book a One-Bedroom Premier with Seaview. Very nice 55 sqm / 592 sqft room with king size bed and a separate living/kitchen room. Honestly, not a lot of usage of the separate room so a studio would have been enough. 

Balcony is there but pretty small and not an iconic view as some others at Pattaya (Hilton,...) as the hotel is not front line at the Sea.

Bathroom is very nice and very functional, including shower (pressure and temperature are above standard at town).

Facilities/Swimming pool

The swimming pool area and view is really something which can make you consider this hotel.

A small bar is proposed and there are several options to seat. Not a lot of people last June, let get feedback from people who stays during the high season regarding the opportunity to find free places.

I do not try the fitness room (I was used to practice enough alternative sports daily 😇) and the breakfast was still not opened when I stay, which is the case now but looks a little bit expensive and so many options very close, including Central Festival food court.

A large parking at the hotel, one girl even park her scooter here easily.

The lobby is really well designed as well as the garden around.

I like very much the hotel and will stay again here next March 2024.

photo_2024-02-02_11-11-50.jpg

photo_2024-02-02_14-40-22.jpg

photo_2024-02-02_14-40-26.jpg

photo_2024-02-02_14-40-29.jpg

A friend of mine stayed there last December and I was impressed. His room and the whole hotel were beautiful, and being across the street from Central Festival is really convenient. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

A friend of mine stayed there last December and I was impressed. His room and the whole hotel were beautiful, and being across the street from Central Festival is really convenient. 

Indeed.

I tried Amethyst hotel last December, nice as well but just below Somerset in term of quality of facilities/room for an equivalent price. If you are looking for well designed hotel with nice view at swimming pool for about 50% of Hilton's price, Somerset is a solid option.

The location preference is really subjective, depending on the favorite places. From Somerset, every main places are easily reachabled, Tree Town beeing the closest by walk.

• Like 3

I stayed there for a month from December to January. The poolside bar and room service are now operational. However, finding a sunbed near the pool is challenging; there are only 7-8 available, and they were always occupied during the high season when I visited.

7 hours ago, YopYop said:

I book a One-Bedroom Premier with Seaview. Very nice 55 sqm / 592 sqft room with king size bed and a separate living/kitchen room. Honestly, not a lot of usage of the separate room so a studio would have been enough. 

Just booked here for the 4th time.  I have also stayed in the One-Bedroom Premier with Seaview every trip before but this trip have gone for the Studio and also forsaken the sea-view for exactly the reason's you have said above.  I also think the price point of the One-Bedroom is now a bit on the high side but as a hotel i cannot fault it both for the staff and it's location.

My last trip was Christmas/New Year and i never ventured to the pool but a previous lower season trip I never had a problem getting a sunbed althoug it was usually mid to late afternoon before i ventured up there.

4 hours ago, viewless said:

I stayed there for a month from December to January. The poolside bar and room service are now operational. However, finding a sunbed near the pool is challenging; there are only 7-8 available, and they were always occupied during the high season when I visited.

Thanks for letting us know, I was not sure of availabilities of sunbed during high season indeed. Did you tried mid of the afternoon? I more used to relax alone at swimming pool at that time but most probably not the only one 😁

You mention a "poolside bar and room service are now operational". This was already the case for a (very) small poolside bar last June. Does it means they open a larger one at the second level of the swimmingpool area (with the boat)? Good to know for the room service.

@sigramme @viewless Do you confirm that the Guest friendly attitude was still very open during your recent stay? I was wondering if the family oriented services of this hotel change some behavior in between.

By any chance, did you invite more than one guest at a time to know how desk team is managing that situation?

I was very impressed when I stayed there in November (only 1 night, and I didn't bring a guest back).

Very nice, new facilities and, IMHO, a fantastic location.

I asked the front desk if they had a sales office, but it is strictly a hotel property (I thought it might be like the condos behind MGM here in Las Vegas, where individuals own, but put them into a rental pool).

The pictures look great, but what about the daily rates...?

This isn't a bargain-priced place, is it...?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

The pictures look great, but what about the daily rates...?

This isn't a bargain-priced place, is it...?

Price

This is not the cheapest place to stay for sure. 

This is 2+ times more than Areca Lodge so far as I remember my check at that time.

For such a quality of facilities/rooms and services, this is most of the time between 50 and 60% less than Hilton's price when I do comparaison for my different stays (June 23, December 23 but I decide to try Amethyst this time and next March 24).

I have payed about 130€ per night but could have payed below 100€ for a nice smaller room.

The price is as usual very different from one period to another, and according to temporary discounts.

Like for girls style and services, there are most probably hotels in Pattaya for all budget and expectations 😇

IMO one of the best quality/price ratio for people looking for 4+ hotels.

Edited by YopYop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, YopYop said:

@sigramme @viewless Do you confirm that the Guest friendly attitude was still very open during your recent stay? I was wondering if the family oriented services of this hotel change some behavior in between.

By any chance, did you invite more than one guest at a time to know how desk team is managing that situation?

in all my 4 stays never had a problem with guests coming back and although i didn't try i'am sure more than one would be ok.  on my last trip i had a regular who would come and go as she plesed with the desk team being very friendly and respectful to her.  it did though cost me a room key so i didn't need to keep coming down to the lobby let her into the secure lift.. That could have caused its own problems but i didn't do any side ladies in house this trip. :)

7 minutes ago, YopYop said:

Price

This is 2+ times more than Areca Lodge so far as I remember my check at that time.

For such a quality of facilities/rooms and services, this is most of the time between 50 and 60% less than Hilton's price when I do comparaison for my different stays (June 23, December 23 but I decide to try Amethyst this time and next March 24).

I have payed about 130€ per night but could have payed below 100€ for a nice smaller room.

Ok, thanks for the update on the price, it's out of my budget for sure

This is nice, i've been past it many times but didn't know it was actually a hotel...and probably shows my drunken state. I've stayed at the Edge so will give this one a go on my travels.

1 hour ago, tingtong2k said:

This is nice, i've been past it many times but didn't know it was actually a hotel...and probably shows my drunken state. I've stayed at the Edge so will give this one a go on my travels.

I was also looking at the EDGE, looks nice and swimming pool with a beautiful view as well. Price is below Somerset.

When come the time of my choice, I had two concerns you can maybe help me to mitigate:

- looks like condo are supposed to not be (legaly) rented less than 30 days. Any issue with EDGE?

- I was wondering how daily services work in such condo (cleaning, having new fresh towels daily...)

4 hours ago, YopYop said:

Price

The price is as usual very different from one period to another, and according to temporary discounts.

Like for girls style and services, there are most probably hotels in Pattaya for all budget and expectations 😇

IMO one of the best quality/price ratio for people looking for 4+ hotels.

IMO Somerset is trying to position itself as a Hilton alternative, but I don't think the facilities are Hilton level.  If you plan ahead, and look for deals the Hilton can be had for around $160 USD a night, while Somerset hovers around $115 USD.  At the lower price range, I think Somerset represents a good value, especially if you compare non view oriented rooms, but it is no Hilton.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PGSTC776 said:

IMO Somerset is trying to position itself as a Hilton alternative, but I don't think the facilities are Hilton level.  If you plan ahead, and look for deals the Hilton can be had for around $160 USD a night, while Somerset hovers around $115 USD.  At the lower price range, I think Somerset represents a good value, especially if you compare non view oriented rooms, but it is no Hilton.

Your post reminded me of the one big downside when I was there (November 2023) - the breakfast buffet was pretty damn bad, AND it was served in what looked like a conference room.  Instead of dining tables, they used those skinny tables you see in the rooms at conferences/conventions.

15 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Your post reminded me of the one big downside when I was there (November 2023) - the breakfast buffet was pretty damn bad, AND it was served in what looked like a conference room.  Instead of dining tables, they used those skinny tables you see in the rooms at conferences/conventions.

Yeah, the dining set up is just nowhere, and I mean nowhere near what the Hilton offers.  Obviously the Hilton breakfast is more expensive if you don't get it included, but it's on several different levels above what Somerset offers.

Expensive hotel with a poor breakfast....come on chaps that`s no good :WhoSaw1:

17 minutes ago, petermik said:

Expensive hotel with a poor breakfast....come on chaps that`s no good :WhoSaw1:

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "poor", it's just nowhere near what you'd get at Hilton.  It competes very well with a place like Areca lodge's breakfast.  A true 4 star dining experience it most definitely is not, and is one of the weak points in what is a pretty nice place.  

Looks a nice place for your holiday should you be in that budgetary range; do they have a rewards scheme? This is where the likes of the Hilton offering discounts & deals may seal the deal though the Somerset does look nicely turned out.

The location next to Central will be a big draw factor. 🤔

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

13 hours ago, YopYop said:

The male staff were excellent. I often tipped them well, and they were always respectful. They used to high-five me when I arrived with girls 😂. Once, one of my LT tried to check the visitor register to see which girls had been with me before, but the staff intervened and handled the situation.

A couple of female staff members seemed to look at me judgmentally, but it didn't bother me.

No problem with multiple girls. Just need to register all of them in their visitor log with the IDs.

Edited by viewless

2 hours ago, Petesie said:

Looks a nice place for your holiday should you be in that budgetary range; do they have a rewards scheme? This is where the likes of the Hilton offering discounts & deals may seal the deal though the Somerset does look nicely turned out.

The location next to Central will be a big draw factor. 🤔

Their reward program is useless. Though they provide good discount on long term rentals if you contact them directly.

Edited by viewless
Typo

13 hours ago, YopYop said:

Thanks for letting us know, I was not sure of availabilities of sunbed during high season indeed. Did you tried mid of the afternoon? I more used to relax alone at swimming pool at that time but most probably not the only one 😁

You mention a "poolside bar and room service are now operational". This was already the case for a (very) small poolside bar last June. Does it means they open a larger one at the second level of the swimmingpool area (with the boat)? Good to know for the room service.

No, I'm referring to the same small bar. I visited earlier in March 2023 when it wasn't there, which is why I commented on it.

Room service is available, but in my opinion, the quality of the food doesn't justify the price.

8 hours ago, PGSTC776 said:

Agree. This is considered as an alternative and I will never directly compare with swimming pool area and restaurant offers of the Hilton. I consider Somerset as a 4+ hotel whereas Hilton is 5.

I try Hilton for a few nights and will do again next March for 3 nights at the end of my stay.

I like the swimming pool and the cocktail but globaly I do not consider this is a better quality/price. I am used to check about $200 USD, I will not have the same impression if I succeed to find a $160 USD price.

I can understand that with Hilton's status you can get very good offer and even upgrade to very nice rooms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Thanks for letting me know about breakfast offer. Restaurants was still not opened last June when I stay the first time.

I will do again next March and for sure I will consider alternatives around.

Do they use the room on top of the building (close to the boat of the swimming pool) or this is used for a lunch/diner restaurant only?