Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Working remotely from LOS & Internet connection

Question for those work remotely from LOS - how do you overcome unreliable hotel Internet connection?

I have an opportunity to work from abroad but MUST have excellent Internet connection.

I usually buy 2 weeks tourist sim from airport for mobile device usage which works ok but don't think it will be reliable if I connect to laptop.

Do I bring a dongle from home and buy separate sim from airport?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. prior to posting I did search for similar post but had no joy. 

With business travel occupying well over fifty percent of my time, I consider it remote working.  As such, strong and reliable internet is one of my requirements for a hotel.  In Pattaya, I’ve had excellent WiFi at Avani and the few nights I spend at Amber had the same.  A data plan on my phone serves as a reliable backup and for when I’m out and about from the hotel

• Like 2

Yeah, it depends on the hotel. Areca Lodge has always been great.

And using a hotspot from my phone has also worked fine for me.

10 minutes ago, Biennial said:

I’m at Areca now and here’s a SpeedTest at 07:23.  It’s not nearly as fast as I get at home, but it sure gets the job done.

IMG_0112.thumb.jpeg.6f6dfd927dccfaf5fc46e12af91fc3ed.jpeg

Edited by vivid2
  • Like 2

I've been using my phone as a hotspot for many years without significant issues. One thing I do is to always buy packages at "max speed". Those are typically a set amount of gb valid for a set amount of time. Whereas "unlimited" are often (always?) at a capped speed. 

• Like 3

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

4 hours ago, Biennial said:

Depends on what room / building you are in. I’ve been in rooms there that have ZERO internet connection 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

I've been using my phone as a hotspot for many years without significant issues. One thing I do is to always buy packages at "max speed". Those are typically a set amount of gb valid for a set amount of time. Whereas "unlimited" are often (always?) at a capped speed. 

Would you say AIS sim is the best? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, tiger007 said:

Would you say AIS sim is the best? 

I'm mainly using Dtac. But they're all same same. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thomaz73 said:

I've been using my phone as a hotspot for 2 years without significant issues. I buy a long term SIM which may not offer the highest maximum speed, but it offers unlimited data with no throttle back

I have no idea how my usage would compare with yours. I would categorize myself as a mid-level user and for me it works fine.

I use both dtac and TRUE, as AIS does not offer a product that works for me. But I agree with @Thomaz73, from my chair they're all the same.

Edited by AngelCty2Nit

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.

October '23 the hotel wifi was almost zero and same with mobile sim. It made no difference moving around  the hotel. Me my mate had different network providers both was shite, it was really annoying. 

• Sad 1

Internet in general is good in pattaya,

Mum coffee shop Soi 15,,

image.png.ff299f271dddb87011ec51a06dfba8e8.png

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

i live in Thailand but stay in hotels often (mostly for shagging, sometimes for work). i use my mobile data plan to manage overseas teams and stuff. it's MUCH better than hotel wifi and i can do zoom trainings, the whole 9 yards. and both phones are 4G.

Extensive user across many hotels in Pattaya. Plan on using your phone's hotspot, highly preferably on 5G. I use AIS 5G at 300 baht for 100GB/month.

The issue with both hotel wifi and mobile 4G is when _everyone_ simultaneously lights up their morning and evening YouTube/TikTok/Netflix streams. What was a decent 30mbps drops to 512kbps 😞

At present there's no congestion on AIS 5G, and probably the other carriers by 5G design. It "just works" unlike the hotel wifi option. 

Just now with hotspot enabled..

Screenshot_20240123_162620_Meteor.jpg

3 minutes ago, BuckDefiant said:

. I use AIS 5G at 300 baht for 100GB/month.

AIS are the best bet for 5G, they won the biggest chunk of the 5G rights.

that said True bought DTAC and are in the process of merging, that puts them roughly the same size in terms of 5G assets.

DTAC are still running semi-independently so in the short run i'd go with AIS. i have AIS and DTAC because at any given time *something* had better work

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BuckDefiant said:

Extensive user across many hotels in Pattaya. Plan on using your phone's hotspot, highly preferably on 5G. I use AIS 5G at 300 baht for 100GB/month.

The issue with both hotel wifi and mobile 4G is when _everyone_ simultaneously lights up their morning and evening YouTube/TikTok/Netflix streams. What was a decent 30mbps drops to 512kbps 😞

At present there's no congestion on AIS 5G, and probably the other carriers by 5G design. It "just works" unlike the hotel wifi option. 

Thank you 😊 🙏 

• 2 months later...
On 23/01/2024 at 01:28, BuckDefiant said:

Thanks for letting everyone know about this setup. Sounds like this is definitely the way to go when it comes to having a good reliable internet connection while in Pattaya. It is surprisingly super cheap too.

On 23/01/2024 at 01:28, BuckDefiant said:

Do you get that at the airport or at an AIS location?  Is there a special 5G package that includes a hotspot option?

I'm splitting time on an upcoming trip between a hotel (with spotty WiFi, depending on room location) and the TGF's home on the Darkside (told her to get GREAT Internet access, but she doesn't like to spend money, so I don't know if she did! 555). 

I'm concerned about being able to get my calls up and running.  

Last month, I was at the Hilton, which typically has reliable WiFi, but I dropped out on 2 separate calls/

Posted (edited)

Just returned from LOS. I took the advice of above and bought dtac sim at bkk airport (see below dtac prices). Connected my mobile to laptop never had any issues. 

I did try hotel wifi but it was shite. After complaining they provided a booster to my room still it was crap.

20240316_164408.jpg

Edited by tiger007

@tiger007 Which plan did you buy?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

@tiger007 Which plan did you buy?

1199 bhat. 

I was heavily using the dtac net for work, youtube, streaming to watch footy, etc. 

Edited by tiger007

6 minutes ago, tiger007 said:

1199 bhat. 

I was heavily using the dtac net for work, youtube, streaming to watch footy, etc. 

30 day trip?

I'm only there for a week, so hoping the 449 baht DTAC or AIS 8-day package will work for me

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

30 day trip?

I'm only there for a week, so hoping the 449 baht DTAC or AIS 8-day package will work for me

I was there for 20 days hence had to buy 30 days package. Yes, 8 days package should be sufficient. Good luck and enjoy your trip. 

which phones are you fellas using to run your wifi hotspots ?   Last few times I tried it, my phone (iPhone) heated up so bad you could barbecue steak on its surface, and it drained the battery the battery life even faster than the usual crappy Apple battery life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shamrock71 said:

which phones are you fellas using to run your wifi hotspots ?   Last few times I tried it, my phone (iPhone) heated up so bad you could barbecue steak on its surface, and it drained the battery the battery life even faster than the usual crappy Apple battery life.

Using a cheap ish Oppo. Does get a bit warm. Battery drainage would be an issue with any phone. I have it plugged in when tethering. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shamrock71 said:

I use a midrange VIVO and have no issues at all with overheating. Battery drain is what it is 

Edited by AngelCty2Nit

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.