Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Chicken Parm

Wow it’s been four months and no one has mentioned Hemmingways. I honestly don’t remember my grade for this (this was taken in June last year) but it was their daily special and it was a good amount of food. If I finished, I was definitely hurting by the end. 
IMG_2689.thumb.jpeg.6fd868e0a57d96f3f7ae3628864043c6.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, shawnmj said:

Wow it’s been four months and no one has mentioned Hemmingways. I honestly don’t remember my grade for this (this was taken in June last year) but it was their daily special and it was a good amount of food. If I finished, I was definitely hurting by the end. 

This Hemmingways parm looks like a US style version with lots of pasty tomato puree under the cheese. For me it's more about the tomato than the cheese. The other maybe Aussie style versions posted looked like there was little if any tomato involved??

At the risk of a slight hijack what about eggplant parm? I like a breaded, pan fried version with lots of tomato spaghetti sauce and a little cheese parmesan or pepperjack for my taste.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, elperro said:

This Hemmingways parm looks like a US style version with lots of pasty tomato puree under the cheese. For me it's more about the tomato than the cheese. The other maybe Aussie style versions posted looked like there was little if any tomato involved??

At the risk of a slight hijack what about eggplant parm? I like a breaded, pan fried version with lots of tomato spaghetti sauce and a little cheese parmesan or pepperjack for my taste.

I’m a US California guy, probably why I liked it!

For pricing reasons just looked it up, it’s the Monday special (perfect timing) for 199 baht

IMG_8749.thumb.png.eb97bde91b2c5e8a907434216146a60b.png

Edited by shawnmj
Added advertisement
  • Like 2

Hemingway's soi Honey. Excellent

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 12:59, Joeleg said:

He was visibly upset and told me it is not Italian and never came from Italy.

I was to  learn that it originated in the US started by Italians who migrated there. The sauce/cheese however is Italian.

Chicken Parmesan does indeed have an interesting history.  It was invented in the late 1800s or early 1900s by Italian immigrants to the U.S.  They based it on a traditional Italian dish melanzane alla parmigiana (eggplant Parmesan), but  substituted cutlets of chicken (or veal) for the eggplant. 

Meat was much less expensive in the U.S. than in Europe at that time and immigrants of all nationalities often added or substituted meat in what had basically been vegetarian dishes in their home countries,  Moreover, eggplant wasn't widely cultivated or used in the U.S. back then, so it would have been difficult to obtain.   

The Australian version was probably inspired by U.S. military personnel stationed in Australia during WW II.  They often asked local restaurants to fix the type of food with which they were familiar.  In both the U.S. and Australia, chicken Parm became popular in the 1950s.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

19 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

They based it on a traditional Italian dish melanzane alla parmigiana (eggplant Parmesan), but  substituted cutlets of chicken (or veal) for the eggplant

Oh damn! Would love to try the veal version. Probably not easy to find in Pattaya. 

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

4 hours ago, Thomaz73 said:

Oh damn! Would love to try the veal version. Probably not easy to find in Pattaya. 

I can't recall seeing veal Parmesan on any menu in Pattaya, but that may just be a sign my memory is off.  I doubt I would ever order it in Pattaya because proper veal cutlets are difficult for restaurants to obtain in Thailand. 

Beyond quality ingredients, veal Parmesan can be tricky to make.  Because veal has a subtle flavor, it needs a lighter and less acidic tomato sauce than is commonly used for chicken Parm.  

Anyway, a pic of proper U.S.-style veal Parmesan.  yum.png.feb849456f64fce7017447592ea7929e.png An excellent meal with properly cooked pasta!

veal_parmesan_x1.thumb.jpg.4698be6bdfaadc56de8767f7a93a3494.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

3 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Anyway, a pic of proper U.S.-style veal Parmesan

Torture!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 17/02/2024 at 12:59, Joeleg said:

I was to  learn that it originated in the US started by Italians who migrated there. The sauce/cheese however is Italian.

I never knew this, but a quick google confirms it!  Wait until I tell my mother!  :laugh:

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

6 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

They based it on a traditional Italian dish melanzane alla parmigiana (eggplant Parmesan), but  substituted cutlets of chicken (or veal) for the eggplant. 

The eggplant version is one of my favorite Italian foods.  It's a damn pain in the ass to make, consisting of several lengthy and laborious steps, rather like lasagne but with the addition of peeling, slicing, breading and frying the eggplant for the layers of the dish.  It's absolutely heaven when done correctly, like my mom does.  :10of10Score:

In some Italian delis in the US you can buy thin-sliced eggplant already breaded and fried.  These are great in sandwiches, but would turn an eggplant parm into soup.  The slices in eggplant parm have to be thick enough to be breaded, fried, then baked with cheese and sauce without becoming mush.

[/threadfuck]

Edited by Bruce Mangosteen
  • Like 1

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

I can't recall seeing veal Parmesan on any menu in Pattaya, but that may just be a sign my memory is off.

The place that used to be called "80 baht spaghetti" on Thappraya Rd. had it on the menu back when IIRC.  Not sure about today though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Mangosteen said:

The place that used to be called "80 baht spaghetti" on Thappraya Rd. had it on the menu back when IIRC.  Not sure about today though.  

It is still there but sunken even more below the pavement. Remember the guy that owned it more than 20 years ago.

50 minutes ago, thainet said:

It is still there but sunken even more below the pavement. Remember the guy that owned it more than 20 years ago.

I had heard he passed, but then I think I heard that what I heard was not true!  I hope he's still around, very nice guy.  Not much English but always pleasant.

The place has got a fancy new name, I forget what.  It's visible on Google street view.

On 16/04/2024 at 05:32, shawnmj said:

Looks great but would prefer Chips/Fries than Pasta.

1 hour ago, CliffHitMan said:

Hemingways offers chips/fries as an option for the Monday special.

• Like 1

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

hmm - the only decent Chicken Parm that I have ever had in Pattaya was prepared at my house.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CliffHitMan said:

You could be as well (even though using “chips” is a giveaway that were from different continents), but I will say as an American I don’t think I’ve ever seen in our country a chicken parm with chips/fries instead of pasta. I basically thought pasta was a requirement of a chicken parm dish! You know how America loves to be different 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shawnmj said:

You could be as well (even though using “chips” is a giveaway that were from different continents), but I will say as an American I don’t think I’ve ever seen in our country a chicken parm with chips/fries instead of pasta. I basically thought pasta was a requirement of a chicken parm dish! You know how America loves to be different 

Yeah I'm a Aussie got to have the Chips and Salad with the Parmi

6 minutes ago, CliffHitMan said:

Yeah I'm a Aussie got to have the Chips and Salad with the Parmi

Agree. This is what my local golf club does every Saturday night.

Parmi.jpg.58c38c55ccafc7d586cc1f57d3b5999d.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that is wild to me!

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2024 at 15:29, tko said:

The Nest calls this a chicken Parmo with hot shot.  Quite good.

image.thumb.jpeg.bf0e957d8b87f1495181a3b3020cb3d1.jpeg

I wouldn't call that a parmi but it looks alright