IGNORED

Newbie here sharing first scam exerpience

willywong4545

Pattaya off to a great start until the other day, was walking down the beach when I picked one out of the line. Quoted 1200 ST agreed and off we went, got to hotel room and she demanded money up front.

I remember reading here to always pay after and thats where the conflict started. We couldnt agree and I asked her to leave to which she demanded 500 baht. From where I picked up was a 2 minute walk to the hotel, we were in my room for maybe 3 minutes and nothing occured. In my mind she didn't deserve any money, but I offered her 200 baht to leave and she stuck to 500 sat down and was not going anywhere.

I remember reading in these threads that if there's conflict you should get the hotel involved, so I gave them a call and staff came up but ulimtately said you two need to work it out. At this point I just paid the 500 and she left.

I think that's what bothered me the most about this is it felt kind of embarrassing to get hotel staff involved and to basically tell me they are unable to help. Still have a week left and I'm going to be 'that guy' walking by them everyday now, I might eat the hotel cost and just change hotels.

Anyways my advice to the other newbies

- if its a monetary verbal issue its probably best to pay it off, ( in my case 500 baht is not really hurting the bank but this seemed like undeserved payment )
- if your plucking them off the street ask about after payment and maybe even ST activities

I'd like to think I made the right choice of not paying up front because I imagine she'd have other ways of extorting additional money

Edited by willywong4545
edit because post was not finished

2 minutes ago, willywong4545 said:

felt kind of embarrassing to get hotel staff involved and to basically tell me they are unable ton help. Still have a week left and I'm going to be 'that guy' walking by them everyday now, I might eat the hotel cost and just change hotels.

Hi mate,

welcome to Pattaya,

it’s just the normal thing, the hotel staff seen like 100’s of this scenario 

you r in forgien land, if anyone judge you it’s not matters

enjoy your holiday, avoid Beach Road girls

you done a good thing by pay and send her away 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heisenberg7008 said:

Hi mate,

welcome to Pattaya,

it’s just the normal thing, the hotel staff seen like 100’s of this scenario 

you r in forgien land, if anyone judge you it’s not matters

Thanks

That's one of the things I tried asking them as well is how this was usually handled, I guess they are pretty hands off for these kinds of issues. I now imagine they would only step in if police had to be involved ( eg why they take the ID )

Yeah I've read that they should be avoided, but my first two times trying actually went [pretty good. I don't drink so the bars isn't really my scene. And I'm not a fan of the oils at the massage places I think that only leave me with TF, but half the Beach girls I assume are on that as well. Any idea on where I should look?

Unfortunately some girls are like this. Be glad you did not pay 1200 up front. She would 100% leave or ask for even more money if you did. 

I make sure to threat the hotel staff very good. Give them tips and have a good conversation and joke with them. If you get to know them well they will threat you good back and will try to help you more.
But I do think the hotel staff should try to help you out more, but thais do threat their own better than a random tourist most of the time, even though you are the paying customer in the hotel and not the girl.

You have every right to ask the hotel to evict any girl who is no longer your guest. Demand to see the Manger. 200 is fine for the hassle. Standard practice is payment after the deed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, willywong4545 said:

I remember reading in these threads that if there's conflict you should get the hotel involved, so I gave them a call and staff came up but ulimtately said you two need to work it out. At this point I just paid the 500 and she left.

1 hour ago, Heisenberg7008 said:

Unless she refuses to leave or starts to destroy the room, you AVOID getting the hotel involved.

I don't have time for the Beach Road girls and you made a mistake with this idea.

You learn to pay to make a problem go away

Most Thai people will side with a Thai and not you

Go to a GGB and choose from there.

Edited by Greg_B
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Greg_B said:

Unless she refuses to leave or starts to destroy the room, you AVOID getting the hotel involved.

I don't have time for the Beach Road girls and you made a mistake with this idea.

You learn to pay to make a problem go away

Most Thai people will side with a Thai and not you

Go to a GGB and choose from there.

BGs have been  known to trash the room - bathroom mirror smashed etc. First sign of possible trouble is to call hotel security so there are witnesses. Just tell the security that you are leaving the 200baht on the bed / table and you are leaving the room and going to lobby until the mess is resolved. They cant stop you. Even if the BIB is called, they will make the girl take the 200 because it is ample. 

• Like 1

Rule 1. Never pay up front. ~ you passed this test

Rule 2. No one in Pattaya ‘knows’ you. Pretend you are a player in a video game. Just press restart and go from there. No one at the hotel gives two shakes about the incident. If they are laughing at you every time you pass the front desk, good thing you don’t speak Thai.

Rule 3. You can’t be offended by people you don’t respect.

Rule 4. Take the loss and move on. 500 baht is $12.50 USD. It is worth the hassle? Survey says? NO

Enjoy the remainder of your trip, avoid beach road women unless you have some game and deeper experience.

You paid 500baht for a life lesson, that's it, just go next, and enjoy your time. Most people made a lot worse mistakes in Thailand, so it's all good

4 hours ago, komplot said:

Be glad you did not pay 1200 up front. She would 100% leave or ask for even more money if you did. 

This is unhelpful fear-mongering, and not accurate. I am not saying people should agree to these requests when they're sprung on you like this, especially in this context of a beach road girl that you have hardly talked to. However it's a case of elevated risk, not 100% going to lead to problems - your mileage is going to vary.

Beach road is usually pay after, making it a red flag, which you have to weigh in context of other red flags. However it's standard practice for the domestic Thai freelancer scene, meaning it's not entirely unreasonable. Just like leaving your wallet out while taking a shower will not 100% result in theft, all the girls are different. You would be exposing yourself to needless risk - but actually it's mostly ok.

As someone new to Pattaya, OP handled this fine, and I wouldn't worry about the hotel staff it's pretty normal stuff. It's common enough for disputes like this.

How I would handle this is going to depend on the girl. If I have a bad vibe, I would have handled it pretty similarly - counter offer 200. 500 is on the high side, depending on my mood I might have gone with it, or if I was feeling scammed - given her 200, and explained she can get the other 300 if she sits there for another 20 minutes. My goal there is essentially to make it not a very worthwhile scam, and for 300bt having her time taken up achieves that.

When it comes to ThaiFriendly girls I've sometimes had this request, and in some of these cases I'll put the money on the fridge or something rather than giving it to her, which has been fine. I'm flexible on this as there are enough dodgy customers who dock payment, that I try to find a middle ground.

No chance I'd have agreed to 1200 on BR in the first place unless she was an exceptional rarity down there - young and super pretty - but, that aside, in my experience, hotel does nothing unless it's a police matter. Wouldn't have gone that route.

You just ran into a cunt. The fact she has to pull BS like that marks her as scum, in my eyes. Have a good life, love - hope you're happy and proud of yourself for the few dollars you just scammed.

What you get out of it as punter: You'll become more wary, more keen to the signs after this, and 500 baht is pretty cheap for a lesson like that.

Don't agree with the 'bars/gogos don't have troublesome girls like this' stuff, either.

They absolutely do.

Edited by simon6666
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joeleg said:

BGs have been  known to trash the room - bathroom mirror smashed etc. First sign of possible trouble is to call hotel security so there are witnesses. Just tell the security that you are leaving the 200baht on the bed / table and you are leaving the room and going to lobby until the mess is resolved. They cant stop you. Even if the BIB is called, they will make the girl take the 200 because it is ample. 

Found this an interesting response, well though-out and worthy of consideration.

Probably not going to work at any 3-star or under hotel, but 5-star? Sure. Maybe some 4s as well.

Did you get a photo of her ?

• Like 2

What you can do is propose to put the money on the table but that she takes it after the deed. If she was just worried about not getting paid, that should calm her down.

14 hours ago, simon6666 said:

Found this an interesting response, well though-out and worthy of consideration.

Probably not going to work at any 3-star or under hotel, but 5-star? Sure. Maybe some 4s as well.

Thought this interesting as well, in my hindsight now I think what I would have liked to of done is given the money to the hotel staff and tell him 'can keep or give away your choice but she needs to go'

would like to have seen how that would play out if he would have been able to keep it, and I'd be much happier about where the money went. Since she left with the money she has no reason not to try doing this again

14 hours ago, Wiley Coyote said:

Did you get a photo of her ?

Sorry mate, did not. Even if I had thought of it I probably wouldn't. If she noticed I'd imagine its something else she would try to 'charge me' for

1 hour ago, KhunChang said:

What you can do is propose to put the money on the table but that she takes it after the deed. If she was just worried about not getting paid, that should calm her down.

I initially did this after she persisted money up front, displayed money and placed down out of her reach but after her demand did not change is when I gave the hotel a call and put money back away

BR girls ... Only a deal between you and the girl

No bar involved with a manager or a mamasan

And hotel is not involved in this deal ... none of their business !

They only come if there are cries, hurts, room destruction ... and call police and that gives you many many problems !

As some aid, pay the 500 bth (12.5 €) and try a safe place for your next girl :)

Perhaps more expansive, but security has a price !

Did the hotel take her ID card on arrival? There must be some leverage in that (if not, that was your key error).

A pro scammer would leave fake ID though.

Just to add, when I was new at this, I paid upfront twice, and both turned out fine. That was a bar, not Beach Road though. 

I haven’t had a problem on Beach Road myself (touch wood, no pun intended), always had excellent service. 

Maybe a ladyboy?

Any chance you could find this lowlife again and sneak a pic as a warning to the rest of us?

Op, here is what you do. Pretend to be crazy. Start mumbling to yourself (remember the scene from psycho). It's always useful to have a blonde wig in your luggage for just such occasions. If that doesn't work, trash your hotel room yourself. That's negated her trump card.

Not the same scenario but did involve hotel staff.

In a BKK I was traveling with a mate. We were staying in a 5 star, separate rooms. End of the night he took an LB (knowingly) back to his room and I was in my room with my long term GF. About half an hour goes past and I get a knock on the door and the LB tries to push his way in demanding ฿2K that my mate had promised him. I pushed him back out and he landed on his ass and shut the door.

About thirty minutes later I get a call from the night manager asking me to come to reception. There is the LB and a BiB! The night manager asks me to pay the LB ฿2K and of course I refused as it wasn't my deal. Night manager takes me to the side and says ''Pay him the ฿2K and we will remove or refund ฿5K from your final bill'' so it actually worked out OK.

15 hours ago, simon6666 said:

Agree it will only work in a proper hotel - 4 and 5 star.  

I've had a Beach Road FL ask for payment up front once we got into the room. I paid and there were no issues. I know the rule on the forum is to never pay in advance but most working women outside of Pattaya make sure to get paid up front. I wouldn't take that alone as a red flag. If I had to guess there are more instances of guys trying to not pay after the fact for whatever reason as opposed to women asking for payment up front and then leaving without performing any type of services. 

Thanks for sharing I honestly think you handled it best you could you got out of the situation for 500 baht don't let it ruin the rest of your time there

• 3 months later...

Thanks for sharing, I think in the end paying 500b to avoid issues isn't too bad. That being said, try to have fun in the rest of your holidays

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few off the beach that asked for the money upfront, most don't ask for that, but you'll get the occasional one that insists. I just comply and never had a problem. I doubt she would have left after you paid her upfront. Maybe these girls have been stiffed for the payment afterwards before, who knows.