IGNORED

WTF is going on with the cost of flying

stan jonathen

In my 20 plus trips from Canada to BKK I have never ever paid more then $1,200 return, now a return ticket starts at 1,700, plus a $ 100 service charge to get a aisle seat each direction, and a 14 layover in LA, or if I go via Vancouver it is a 15 hr layover in Seoul on the way home, and that is $2,300 return.

I just paid $700 AUD syd to bkk direct with air asia and i am tickled pink

Edited by ShortTime

28 minutes ago, stan jonathen said:

In my 20 plus trips from Canada to BKK I have never ever paid more then $1,200 return, now a return ticket starts at 1,700, plus a $ 100 service charge to get a aisle seat each direction, and a 14 layover in LA, or if I go via Vancouver it is a 15 hr layover in Seoul on the way home, and that is $2,300 return.

I've found things about 35% higher than last year, with long connections. I'm 9 months out myself

3 hours ago, stan jonathen said:

Wow with the cost!!!  Booked my third, and last 2024 trip this morning, with Singapore Airlines.  Adelaide in Oz is a smaller city so has fewer options and no direct flights.  So got an initial price of $A888.89, which was lower than trip two, so pleased.  Then selected the four seats I wanted and it came to $A957.49, still OK and reasonably pleased.  Noticed that I had a bunch of "miles" with their Krisflyer program, so gave that a shot.  Using the "miles", got a price of $A774.06 and was VERY pleased...

Hope it gets better for yourself...

• Like 1

Flight prices substantially arose roughly 18months ago, for a number of reasons

This has been discussed on several long threads on here over the last 15 months, which may be of interest to you

• Like 2

It's the Airlines telling you to stop going so far. North American should go to Mexico, Brasil or Dominican Republic. Support your local neighbours 😁

International 500 km per hour train would be nice, it would take more than double the time but for less than half of the cost it's worth it imo.
It could hold more passengers and you could even have bunk beds in there.  
Enough tech and billionaires in the world to make it happen.

Elon Musk has been talking about the Hyperloop (1000 km ph) for over a decade now but it can't hold many passengers.

Since the increase of air fares, I am still yet to meet anyone who has cancelled their plans due to the increase in price. 

You know the rules, Don't trust 'em, don't love 'em - And don't let 'em fool you.

Just now, RRosenberg said:

Since the increase of air fares, I am still yet to meet anyone who has cancelled their plans due to the increase in price. 

That's probably because those people haven't left their country for 4 years thanks to covid and are desperate for a vacation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stan jonathen said:

Having to pay extra for seat selection really pisses me off. Just about everyone is doing it now.  If they aren't yet they will be soon.  The other one is only allowing one checkin bag.  Some still include two but I think most will only include one soon.

Edited by Kale

17 minutes ago, Kale said:

Having to pay extra for seat selection really pisses me off. Just about everyone is doing it now.  If they aren't yet they will be soon.  The other one is only allowing one checkin bag.  Some still include two but I think most will only include one soon.

They will get money any way they can and I worked for one (airline) for 20 years

Right now they are making cash, but give it a couple of years and they will find a way to lose money

3 hours ago, RRosenberg said:

I haven’t visited Thailand since Corona…… done Dominican Republic, Gambia (quite a few times), Kenya and I’ve just booked Tanzania.

Gambia and Kenya flights were a few hundred cheaper. Tanzania is about the same cost. But once you get to those places the day to day expenses are much cheaper and you get the old fashioned GFE. 

Haven’t experienced a star fish in Africa usually the girls are too sexually demanding …..555

i need to fall in love with Thailand again

• Like 2

If flight prices had remained the same for Thailand I don’t think I’d have gone looking elsewhere 

I've been to Patts from the UK three times since Covid, and each time the flights have cost me c30% more than pre-covid.  I don't like these price increases, but I don't blame the airlines though.

Each flight I have taken has been fully rammed, with every seat taken.  So, yes, everyone on that plane must have beeen pissed off with the flight increase costs but its not stopped them from flying.  I presume there are less overall seats available from the UK to BKK as BA still have no direct flights, which must effect pricing, but whatever price airlines chooses to charge seems to be accepted by customers, well enough to fill the plane anyway.

I had some bargain BHX or LHR to BKK flights pre-covid, and I remember sometimes having a whole row to myself.  The flighst were cheap because they were just wanting bums on seats.

There is no way flights are going to be reduced unless loads of people are priced out of it.  At the moment, I don't see that happening.

• Like 3

If you can't afford the airfare or think it is too high, you can fly elsewhere.  From Canada, there are so many other mongering countries closer.  I also enjoying visiting Thailand but I haven't been back in 2 1/2 years now because I have been discovering the wonderful girls in Mexico and Colombia.  Usually 6 hours and $500 roundtrip airfare.  Shorter cheaper flight, same great experience.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, beyondthenorm said:

If you can't afford the airfare or think it is too high, you can fly elsewhere.  From Canada, there are so many other mongering countries closer.  I also enjoying visiting Thailand but I haven't been back in 2 1/2 years now because I have been discovering the wonderful girls in Mexico and Colombia.  Usually 6 hours and $500 roundtrip airfare.  Shorter cheaper flight, same great experience.

Only airfares I have found from Vancouver for anywhere close to $500 CDN are really bad connections and times. 

Girls are at least twice as expensive in Mexico for hood rats with giant asses.  For higher end slim it's more like 3 to 4x more. 

I've seen pictures of the girls in Medellin and overall they don't appeal to me either.  The ones that do seem few and far between. 

Thailand just has more of everything and price is still pretty good if you know where to go and what to do.

Edited by Kale

58 minutes ago, Kale said:

Only airfares I have found from Vancouver for anywhere close to $500 CDN are really bad connections and times. 

Girls are at least twice as expensive in Mexico for hood rats with giant asses.  For higher end slim it's more like 3 to 4x more. 

I've seen pictures of the girls in Medellin and overall they don't appeal to me either.  The ones that do seem few and far between. 

Thailand just has more of everything and price is still pretty good if you know where to go and what to do.

For the past 30 years, I felt the same way about Mexico and Colombia, and have traveled exclusively to Thailand and the Philippines.  It was only due to the covid restrictions that I finally decided to travel to those countries after having done extensive research.  I am not looking to change your mind because it just doesn't matter to me.  But I will tell you that I have been very happy in both Mexico and Colombia for the past two years now, and intentionally passed on going to Thailand during that time period.  This is from a guy who visited Thailand over 40 times.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, stan jonathen said:

Ex-YVR Cathay flies to HKG one or two days a week and layovers in HKG are usually much shorter because they have flights almost hourly to BKK.

I fly ex-Toronto and the latest price was more than $2,000 more than in February but still $3,000 cheaper when I went in first class in 2011. Which cost over $10,000 CAD and was worth every penny. 

7 hours ago, Kale said:

I agree about charging for seat selection, it started from the UK in 2017 for me. I also agree about check-in baggage, it seems to vary by the day!

I am about to "hopefully" make my final flight to LOS to become an ex-pat so have been monitoring flight prices, haven't been able to pull the trigger as with most things "post covid" my sold property conveyancing is estimated to now take 14-16 weeks opposed to 4-6 weeks prior. Each time I search on the same airline(s) the baggage allowance varies from 1-2 bags ranging from 20kg to 30kg?

As for ticket prices, I do feel they have reduced a little recently but with the reports of UK-BKK flights being "rammed", another post-covid result of people "breaking out".

Perhaps inappropriate in this thread so don't get me started on the "raging" surge in condo rental prices!

Somewhere someone is booking a flight on Saudi Air, through "E-dreams", with a 10KG total carry on limit, extra for checked luggage and will get a middle seat for 1000 USD round trip.. just to get to BKK.  They will say we are complaining. 

I feel sorry for their life. lol

What I noticed is what you're seeing on Google Flights and other such portals can be incorrect.

If you try to book the ticket with the airliner it will say that flight is not available and will show you an increased price or ask you to revisit your search. 

I spoke to an airline rep about it and she said the foreign leg can not be accounted for properly by 2nd party searches.