IGNORED

Wise cards (formerly Transferwise) - anyone using these?

cozmo

Hi Fellas,

I'm interested if any of you using Wise cards? and if so, do you recommend they are a better solution than home country Visa/Mastercards?

I'm travelling soon from Oz and although I'd prefer to not to carry an extra card, I'd love to avoid the FX conversion fees when making THB withdrawals. Basic question is, are the savings worth the hassle of the extra card and app?

Thanks in advance, 

Travel Money Card | Prepaid Travel Card in Australia - Wise

I had one on a previous trip. Worked perfectly.

Also had bank debit card so I could draw money from my account.

Hint: keep cards and cash in different places, for security. hotel room safe should be OK.

Unless you have pistotikikartaphobia, the extra card shouldn’t be a problem. But, I tried using mine at Suvarnabhumi on arrival to avoid the money changers and it wouldn’t work. I haven’t tried again as I have since opened a Thai bank account and only use the Wise app to convert and move money here. Even on a short trip, you’ll be saving money, if your card works.

• Like 2

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

I'm an Aussie. Enrolled and had card delivered to my daughters address in Queensland. Have used extensively in Thailand and elsewhere.  Competitive exchange rate, easy to use app and use it for all my purchases at 7-11, Tops, Big c, petrol stations etc. Recommended. Do not ever use an Australian credit card as fees are high and exchange rates dreadful 

Edited by anglesea
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cozmo said:

Hi Fellas,

I'm interested if any of you using Wise cards? and if so, do you recommend they are a better solution than home country Visa/Mastercards?

I'm travelling soon from Oz and although I'd prefer to not to carry an extra card, I'd love to avoid the FX conversion fees when making THB withdrawals. Basic question is, are the savings worth the hassle of the extra card and app?

Thanks in advance, 

If you are planning long stays or multi trips, make the effort to get a Thai bank account, and use wise to transfer into, no fees using a Thai debit card

• Like 3

Found Wise exchange rate are one of the best .  Very handy for those who has a Thai bank account . I don’t have a wise debit card . 

Edited by jocky king
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, anglesea said:

Do not ever use an Australian credit card as fees are high and exchange rates dreadful 

My Australian ING credit card has all international transaction fees refunded and the exchange rate is the standard Visa rate.  When using a credit card overseas always elect to pay in the local currency.  

Opting to pay in AUD at the point of sale is where you will get screwed on exchange rates, as the conversion is done by the local bank providing the point of sale facility- not Visa.

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

I'm using the Wise card in Thailand and it is great. As mentioned, if you have a Thai Bank account it is even better value but if you use the Wise card in an ATM the standard fee is 220 baht, which if you just get our large amounts at a time is ok. Be aware though, as I did get caught twice recently at BKK and in Pattaya, if the ATM gives you the option of your own currency or baht, always select baht to avoid the extra fees. Some ATM's seem to be default set to your own currency and you need to change to baht. I got 30k our of a Krungsri bank ATM and was charged 834 baht fees. I could have found a better use for those baht 😉

I use the Wise card mainly on shopping sites like Lazada as you can also create a virtual Digital card. I just top it up with Thai baht when rates are good.

I've used it in Thai department stores as well but I have a Thai bank account so it's just as easy to do QR code payment with that option.

It was also handy the other night I was at Singapore airport buying snacks. So I used my $au as the payment source which Wise will convert (at a competitive rate) to Sing$ so you pay in local currency.

• 2 weeks later...

i´m using Wise now 2 years, in combination with a bank account in thailand is that perfect.

Really good rates, and small money to send the money to bangkok bank. 

in thailand use than QR Code for pay, wise card not using for paying, or getting money on ATM. 

Because you get not so much money an ATM for free.

And you can set a rate you will change money to THB, if it on this rate, change automatically

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piercingbaer said:

i´m using Wise now 2 years, in combination with a bank account in thailand is that perfect.

Really good rates, and small money to send the money to bangkok bank. 

in thailand use than QR Code for pay, wise card not using for paying, or getting money on ATM. 

Because you get not so much money an ATM for free.

And you can set a rate you will change money to THB, if it on this rate, change automatically

I wasn't aware of this feature, will have to look into it. thanks!

1 hour ago, Sloracer said:

I wasn't aware of this feature, will have to look into it. thanks!

You need only a bank account, i did as tourist with a friend have an agency. 

He is in Pattaya, 

and no insurance. 

1 hour ago, Piercingbaer said:

You need only a bank account, i did as tourist with a friend have an agency. 

He is in Pattaya, 

and no insurance. 

I didn't quote your post properly. What I was trying to say I wasn't aware of the auto exchange feature you mentioned.

"And you can set a rate you will change money to THB, if it on this rate, change automatically"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Auto conversion is handy with Wise if you do regular transfers and keep a bit in the account for these transfers, just set your realistic target rate and amount and should it touch it you get it.