IGNORED

Thai Elite 20-year Visa: Outlook & Process [2023]

Jackie2013

Tons of spelling errors, but too late to edit now. My apologies.

Interesting. I took the 5 year TE visa, and I am pretty sure I'll stay in Thailand longer than that (if not forever), so I still have to extend it to 20 years. My plan was to wait until I am at least 4 years in to renew it, but given what you and others have said about the price increase... I should probably renew it now.

4 minutes ago, David Hoffman said:

given what you and others have said about the price increase

What others? There was a post in another thread. But I think that was from the same BM along with an agent with vested interest. He may well be right, of course. And I have to admit to similar thoughts. The cheap one did increase by 100k since I bought mine. It's still speculation, though. And if memory serves, the increase on the 5 year one was announced well in advance. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

16 minutes ago, David Hoffman said:

Interesting. I took the 5 year TE visa, and I am pretty sure I'll stay in Thailand longer than that (if not forever), so I still have to extend it to 20 years. My plan was to wait until I am at least 4 years in to renew it, but given what you and others have said about the price increase... I should probably renew it now.

If I were in your shoes, I would start to apply immediately. Your membership costs only 400k (or 500k if you applied before the price increase the other year) to get additional 15 years on top of what you currently have. Not saying that's money to sneeze about, but - imagine if there's a substantial price increase or, god forbidd, the cancellation to upgrade 20y in its entirety. 

All the best,

Edited by Jackie2013

I paid for the 20 year Elite Superiority Extension in 2021. 

I am extremely happy and don't really have any complaints.

There are some deadlines for notifications on some of the services, so be sure to pay attention to those or they can deny service.

I found out the hard way.

4 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

What others? There was a post in another thread. But I think that was from the same BM along with an agent with vested interest. He may well be right, of course. And I have to admit to similar thoughts. The cheap one did increase by 100k since I bought mine. It's still speculation, though. And if memory serves, the increase on the 5 year one was announced well in advance. 

To swing at me "it's only speculation" - "it's only rumors" whenever I open my mouth regarding TE is somewhat unfair, IMHO. I'm trying my best to present a rational view of why prices are coming up. If you're on the opposite view, I'm willing to listen to you as well. 

Anyways, you who have a 5Y-EE have it written in your contract that you'll be able to upgrade to a fixed price. I'm of the opinion that you should feel safe. It does say, however, that TE reserves the right to cancel the contract and upgrade at any time. But, as I said earlier: everything in my research shows that they have always honored _existing_ contracts. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

Was speaking with a chap who got the 5 year one (is now over 50) and is looking at the 10 year LTR visa. He was going to qualify on the income basis. 

44 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

What others? There was a post in another thread. But I think that was from the same BM along with an agent with vested interest.

I didn't mean others on this forum, there is a world out there outside PA 🤯 It comes up regularly on reddit and when I discuss the matter IRL with other TE visa holders. And it makes sense to me why they would increase the price, business-wise.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jackie2013 said:

To swing at me "it's only speculation" - "it's only rumors" whenever I open my mouth regarding TE is somewhat unfair

Don't remember doing that before (could very well be wrong!) And should've worded it differently. I appreciate the post. And as I said, it has made me start considering some things (I'll be over 50 when the current one expires. So that makes it a bit more complex.) 

I see some condo developments offer elite visas with there condos. Apparently the Hiltons latest condo allows you a 20yr elite visa for 600k on purchasing a condo, minimum price is 3.5 million bht. Hilton will rent your condo for 2yrs for roughly 600k so your visa is free. 

Plenty of options out there. 

10 minutes ago, GARYZX6R said:

I see some condo developments offer elite visas with there condos. Apparently the Hiltons latest condo allows you a 20yr elite visa for 600k on purchasing a condo, minimum price is 3.5 million bht. Hilton will rent your condo for 2yrs for roughly 600k so your visa is free. 

Plenty of options out there. 

Are talking about Once Pattaya, where they are building a Hilton next to it?

They said they would pay for the 400k extension to mine if i bought a condo. I went to have a look at the rooms there. They are just making a contribution towards the 1m cost. 

Effectively they are just giving you your own money back after over charging you on their condo's.

47 minutes ago, GARYZX6R said:

Yes it's the Once. It's the Hilton always going to pay more for quality. 

The condo has nothing to do with the Hilton. Its built by honour group. In the same way that grand avenue was originally getting a Hilton hotel next to it. 

I think it’s bit silly to pay 1m bht for a 20 year visa , you could be dead within a year . Nobody knows what comes around in the corner .  But to each of their own , they obviously have money to burn . I rather leave it to the kids & grandkids . Apologies for a thread f*** .. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jocky king said:

I think it’s bit silly to pay 1m bht for a 20 year visa , you could be dead within a year . Nobody knows what comes around in the corner .  But to each of their own , they obviously have money to burn . I rather leave it to the kids & grandkids . Apologies for a thread f*** .. 

Not a thread fuck imho. It's a relevant opinion. 

However! When I decided to go elite, I knew exactly what was around the corner. I was pushing my luck with tourist visas and it was only a matter of time before my world was to come crashing down. Besides, doing a bit of math, the total cost wasn't that much more than I would have spent constantly traveling (which also got rather tiresome). And I can't put a price on the peace of mind. 

• Like 6

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and wanted ask if any of you know the customs situation if I was to move my belongings from Vietnam to Thailand on the Elite visa? It would probably be around 10k USD worth of things I have at my current house that I would prefer to take with me rather than sell or give away here in Vietnam.

Also would pet (dog) relocation be ok on this type of visa?

5 minutes ago, beaner said:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and wanted ask if any of you know the customs situation if I was to move my belongings from Vietnam to Thailand on the Elite visa? It would probably be around 10k USD worth of things I have at my current house that I would prefer to take with me rather than sell or give away here in Vietnam.

Also would pet (dog) relocation be ok on this type of visa?

Yes, there's no difference if you're on an elite visa or not; you'll still need to follow country protocol for pets and import of goods. In short, it's not a Thai Elite question per se so I'd suggest you hit up one of the many Expat Forums that exists on Reddit, Facebook etc. Best of luck! 

• Like 2

BOOM! Huge news.

Here we go gents! They are scrapping all legacy plans as of September 15th. 

- all perks and visas acquired before this date will remain unchanged.

What happens next? No official news yet, but here's what I forecast: (mentioned earlier in this and the other elite thread)

- Fee for Application / Background Check

- EPA (Elite Personal Assistant) & EPL (Elite Personal Liason) that comes with all memberships today, will be premium priced and selective onwards.

(= Immigration, security & check-in fasttrack, lounges and government services)

- 40-50% price increase for the basic 5 year

- 40-50% price increase for the basic 20 year

Joker: all or some 5 year plans scrapped entirely

Official news will be out short, and we can have a proper laugh about my forecast. 

Attaching docs:

Leaked docs on Facebook/Twitter

Edit: removing the docs until confirmed officially.

Edited by Jackie2013

On 25/07/2023 at 15:53, jocky king said:

I think it’s bit silly to pay 1m bht for a 20 year visa  

And I think it's a bit silly to spend your retirement years sweating at immigration over yearly extensions, bank account proof paperwork, paying agents to game the system and being treated like a pov at the airport.

Each to their own.

All right, here's the PM Thai Elite have sent their official agents of what changes are coming: 

image.thumb.jpeg.fc4f758728ab9aa939200571ab4dbba1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e5d153be6577fe536e3658f3f129447c.jpeg

Edited by Jackie2013

Welp... better get off my ass and finish my application. I would have really liked to have kept the cheap option to upgrade to 20 years but oh well. 

Is it still the case that any dodgy volunteer visas in the past preclude you from Thai Elite membership?

56 minutes ago, Gonetothedogs said:

Is it still the case that any dodgy volunteer visas in the past preclude you from Thai Elite membership?

Yes, dodgy volunteer and education visas will likely cause the membership to be denied. I believe there is an appeal process but I don't know how much success people who have been denied an Elite have with an appeal. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Love_to_eat_Thai said:

sweating at immigration over yearly extensions

How do you avoid that?  I have the Elite Visa and that's exactly what I did yesterday at Jomtien immigration.