IGNORED

Emirates Manchester to Bangkok

Stumpdog

Any thought on quality of the flight, food, space etc in economy class please?

I wouldn't travel with any other airline. Type of plane is a massive consideration that you missed off.

They have 1x777 and 2x380 daily now so heads up if you want the 380

Emirates were the first in the world to have seat back video screens with their ICE system and their in flight entertainment is rarely off the top of the ratings even today

It’s fine, probably as good as you are going to get along with Qatar and Etihad

recommend paying the extra 30 quid or so to get a seat in the “priority cabin” or whatever it’s called at the front of the plane 

Have flown Emirates in 3 of the 4 classes that they offer (haven't tried Premium Economy). Probably my favourite airline. They excel in food, service and hard product in all classes. Would suggest A380 over 777 if you have the choice.

Testicles

I've always flown with Emirates in economy ( from Newcastle ) to SE Asia since 2009, never tried another airline. I've always hoped either Etihad or Qatar would also start a flight from Newcastle too so I could try them too, but not happened yet. I wouldn't want to do a direct flight, or one with a very long flight time, eg stopping in Amsterdam. Emirates always seem to be up there in the top several airlines of any surveys done

I've always found the food good, & I enjoy the half-way point transit through Dubai, either stopping over or a chance to stretch the legs for a couple of hours

Drinks have always been free-flowing, though the last several years, the beer choice has quickly run out within a few hours of take-off.

The overall service has declined in the last several years I feel with the introduction of seat reservation fee's for the 2 cheapest economy fares from Oct 2016. They no longer do the hot towels service before take-off, no longer have printed menu's they hand out & instead of the small individual bottles of wine, they now just pour it from the bottle into plastic cups.

The seat entertainment is meant to be up there with the best, though its not something I use really, apart from the map function. Every flight, 90% of passengers seem to be staring at the screen however.

Finally, I prefer the 777's & choose them over the A380 whenever possible. This is mainly because the 777's have the much wider aisle space at the back of the plane, last 5 rows or so. Choosing an aisle seat there, you have a lot more space in terms of width than any economy seat on the A380. As a large guy, that is very important to me. I often get an empty seat next to me on the NCL-DXB route, so even better

The engine noise is also a lot louder, which means the constant background aircraft noise does drown out much more of the other passengers noise. I've seen quite a few people mention this as a benefit of the 777's, so its not just me  :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies :) Can anyone explain what the priority cabin is please? Are the seats the same as the rest of economy?

I'm assuming they mean Premium Economy, something that Emirates started rolling out last year

The Emirates website will have more information about this

On 08/07/2023 at 22:55, swede37 said:

They have 1x777 and 2x380 daily now so heads up if you want the 380

But back to 3 X A380 from October 1st I think? 

3 hours ago, penboy said:

But back to 3 X A380 from October 1st I think? 

It was, but last few days the morning flight out of Manchester has been a 777.

6 hours ago, Stumpdog said:

Can anyone explain what the priority cabin is please? Are the seats the same as the rest of economy?

SeatGuru has the answer for just about all airlines and plane types.

7 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

It was, but last few days the morning flight out of Manchester has been a 777.

From 1/10/2023 it WILL be back to 3 X A380.

• Like 1

There are some people who prefer the A380, anybody care to give their reasons why ?

Is it for practical reasons, because its quieter ?, or just because its big & new  :)

I know the A380 business class product is considered far superior to the 777's, but for economy passengers, just curious :)

There is no right or wrong, just individual preferences

18 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

There are some people who prefer the A380, anybody care to give their reasons why ?

Is it for practical reasons, because its quieter ?, or just because its big & new  :)

I know the A380 business class product is considered far superior to the 777's, but for economy passengers, just curious :)

I prefer the 777 business seats like this. The A380 ones taper in at the foot which means you have to sleep in a certain way 

C96514D9-7613-43E0-B18C-75BA1410BDF3.jpeg

2 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

On the a380 at the back of the plane you can stand there for as long as you like and not be in anyone's way. Good for the dodgy back gang. Seats are more spacious and comfortable than the 777 ...for me anyway.

Both good though. No complaints about either.

• Like 1

rather use qatar way better customer service.emirates total let down and try to not pay out when the kepped me in dubai for 24hrs.went back qatar the next flight got delayed 24hrs got us in hotel sorted flights out and more damaged case on way back all note agreed to pay 80% of it as i pointed out it only got used once a year for my bkk flights and was payed out in less than 2 weeks.where emirates tried for 6 months not to pay a penny till i mentoined a solicitor was being contact and all costs would be payed by them.they soon payed up asap

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thunder367 said:

rather use qatar way better customer service.emirates total let down and try to not pay out when the kepped me in dubai for 24hrs.went back qatar the next flight got delayed 24hrs got us in hotel sorted flights out and more damaged case on way back all note agreed to pay 80% of it as i pointed out it only got used once a year for my bkk flights and was payed out in less than 2 weeks.where emirates tried for 6 months not to pay a penny till i mentoined a solicitor was being contact and all costs would be payed by them.they soon payed up asap

I had a similar situation but with Qatar though. Also their 787 plane seats are horrific - the ones where the base slides forward. Wouldn't use that plane if it was free.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2023 at 18:36, jaynewcastle said:

Seat Width on emirates 380 is 18" vs 17" on 777.

That's the biggest factor. 

However, the size of 380 works against it - 

More crowds at gates, which means it takes longer to board/unboard. 

More people in a confined place on board means the cabin is much noisier. Quiter engines on a 380 don't help drown the cabin noise as good as 777.

Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

• 5 weeks later...

I used to fly Emirates from MAN, but switched to using Qatar about 7 years ago. Can't see me switching back especially now I have Gold status with QR. I found Emirates service on-board was declining and was starting to hate transferring in DXB.

• Thanks 1

Gone Bananas!!!

Emirates, Qatar, Etihad...cant honestly say i've noticed much difference tbh, all good airlines in my opinion.

qatar all way no matter what for me even been offer extra portions when flgith is quiet and if seats are empty they let u move with out question.service is great food spot.even got delayed 20hr could not do enough to get u sort on next flight and put u in a hotel over night.and when got back payed out claim within 2 weeks of getting back.yet emirates tried their uter most to get out of paying out when they delayed me 24hrs.only payed up once they got a solicitors letter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My last 5 flights have been with Emirates.  And I cannot fault the airline.  I like the A380 planes, the food is good and the inflight entertainment is very good.  I always book there morning flight so that the connecting flight gets me to Suvarnabhumi airport at 07:30 the next morning.  The only moan I would make is that Dubai airport's T3 is to big.  

Edited by blue1878