Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Too much travel insurance???

oldmanemu53

Do we need all the bells & whistles of a travel insurance policy?

Just getting ready my travel insurance I have decided this time to take out "medical only " it's $95 compared to the next one $153 then their are policies including everything for $350

This time around I don't need cancellation insurance, I don't need lost luggage, 

The only thing you really need is urgent unlimited medical , and personal liability all the rest is hocus pocus 

Save your money 

5 minutes ago, oldmanemu53 said:

Just getting ready my travel insurance I have decided this time to take out "medical only " it's $95 compared to the next one $153 then their are policies including everything for $350

This time around I don't need cancellation insurance, I don't need lost luggage, 

The only thing you really need is urgent unlimited medical , and personal liability all the rest is hocus pocus 

Save your money 

I’d agree.

I’ve never bothered with travel insurance as my health care covers me worldwide (with a few exceptions) and my travel is mostly booked with refundable fares; for those that aren’t I’m willing to take the hit if need be.  The one time I had a bag lost, between the airline and my credit card, I was made completely whole.  

I’d be more worried if I didn’t have adequate healthcare/medical emergency coverage.  And I suppose if one were scrimping and saving for their once yearly trip on a budget, cancellation insurance would be worth it. 

• Thanks 1

I never need any cancellation or lost luggage on my insurance plans. I travel with cheap clothes.
Well, the cancellation plan would be handy when covid broke out, but whatever. 

Just make sure the medical insurance includes bringing you home if an accident happens, and you can't travel on a normal flight

Edited by komplot
  • Like 1

Yes definitely get the unlimited medical emergency.

As for cancellation they only pay if it's not the airlines fault AND in some policies you need to have obtained the reply from the airline if they will provide compensation first.

Can't see paying a extra $200 for all this stuff I have never ever used in all my travelling ,so this time cut down to a quarter at $95

Of course personal liability insurance I guess is a must ,so basically unlimited medical , repatriation, dental , personal liability is all you need 

I think you can also be covered by your visa or Mastercard insurance. At least if you buy your tickets with that visa. 

1 hour ago, oldmanemu53 said:

Save your money 

Mine was $97 and I'm in the claim process now as I had a cancelled flight in ZRH and had to get my own room

It was about $315 (USD) and I'm asking for it to be paid.

So, I will see how good it really is...

1 hour ago, neandertal13 said:

I think you can also be covered by your visa or Mastercard insurance. At least if you buy your tickets with that visa. 

Many do to some extent, just be sure you I read and understand the terms if you’re relying on this kind of coverage.  They’re typically written in a way to cover only the narrowest of claims after jumping through numerous hoops - I think many just give up because the claim process can be exhausting. 

6 minutes ago, momo5 said:

Many do to some extent, just be sure you I read and understand the terms if you’re relying on this kind of coverage.  They’re typically written in a way to cover only the narrowest of claims after jumping through numerous hoops - I think many just give up because the claim process can be exhausting. 

Yes I have heard of the monotony of it all, 

They claim they didn't get your receipts, they don't get back to you ,etc etc to stall the claims process ,of course someone will see this and write they experienced completely opposite and the travel insurance company were wonderful and sent them out a million dollars for their lost luggage etc 🙄

Booked a flight to Bangkok in 2018 without travel cancellation insurance. 5 days before departure I found out that I needed an urgent operation at short notice. Was able to cancel the hotel.

The flight was about 800 euros loss for me.

Well, that was my own fault for not booking with my credit card 😞
So...
Travel health insurance is cheap here and, in my opinion, absolutely necessary. For about $20 you can get pretty comprehensive insurance coverage from an automobile association. Non-members for 28 euros per year.

As an annual contract, protection in the event of illness and injury abroad. Almost no matter why. Worldwide, all year round for the first 63 days of each trip. Without personal contribution. Return transport included if necessary and possible. Aside from beauty things and dangerous competitions, nothing ordinary really excludet.

May be other countries have some similar offers from their local Automobile help clubs AAA or so 

Shit can happen, whether it's an infected dorn in the foot, a nail in the head or falling off a rented Harley while drunk, the inflamed tonsil/tooth/appendix or an tumor.

"Valuable" things I carry with me anyway. I accept the risk of theft because it is very rare. Same goes for the Laptop in room.

The airline will replace the lost suitcase and the  normal t-shirts and jeans within its limits.
With a suitcase full of expensive luxury clothes, you don't mind the few dollars for additional insurance or you just buy new ones because you don't care.

I assume that everyone has global & home liability and home & global legal protection anyway. So nothing can happen to you if you accidentally fall off your chair while drunk and pull the entire countertop with you.

Total holiday insurance costs:  60€  -20 health insurance and approx. €40 surcharge for the Golden MasterCard, which includes travel cancellation and, again, another  health insurance.
Health insurance is double because I can't deselect it with the Mastercard, but you can only use one of them anyway, so I will choose the health insurance from the automobile club if something is wrong with me.

The majority of monkeys doubt that humans are descended from them.

Help me understand this, is travel insurance, health insurance, medical insurance, car insurance, pussy insurance, too big of a dick insurance needed/required?

I'm coming from the states and own my own company, while I don't have health insurance for myself, I have it for my 50 ish employees. I'm in my 30's and athletic/fit and I've seen my doc once in 5-7 years (I pay out of pocket).

My plane ticket was $1300 round trip from LA. If it's cancelled, not the end of the world by any means, lost way more at the tables in Vegas, this is all for fun right?

Anyhow, is this insurance you all are talking about required/needed? I don't eat sushi (heard it's a 50/50 in Thailand) so not worried about that. Mostly chicken and white rice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkSideInc said:

Anyhow, is this insurance you all are talking about required/needed? 

Only required, once you need it.

I'm in my 30's and athletic/fit and I've seen my doc once in 5-7 years "

Insurance is not compulsory, but it doesn't matter how young or fit you are, accidents happen

The closest I ever came to getting seriously hurt in SE Asia, was when walking along the side of a street one lunchtime & the wing mirror of a truck very narrowly missed my head whilst travelling at speed, after it jerked to the side to avoid a car over-taking the other way. 

I was very lucky as it could have quite easily killed or seriously injured me

Accidents happen

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DarkSideInc said:

Help me understand this, is travel insurance, health insurance, medical insurance, car insurance, pussy insurance, too big of a dick insurance needed/required?

I'm coming from the states and own my own company, while I don't have health insurance for myself, I have it for my 50 ish employees. I'm in my 30's and athletic/fit and I've seen my doc once in 5-7 years (I pay out of pocket).

My plane ticket was $1300 round trip from LA. If it's cancelled, not the end of the world by any means, lost way more at the tables in Vegas, this is all for fun right?

Anyhow, is this insurance you all are talking about required/needed? I don't eat sushi (heard it's a 50/50 in Thailand) so not worried about that. Mostly chicken and white rice.

Just in case accident you could be involved in or you could have a heart attack ,you could be attacked assaulted,you could be in a motorcycle accident etc etc 

But the other insurance is not needed ,luggage , cancellation etc 

10 hours ago, oldmanemu53 said:

travel insurance I have decided this time to take out "medical only " it's $95 compared to the next one $153 then there are policies including everything for $350

The only thing you really need is urgent unlimited medical , and personal liability

I may be going to Thailand at the end of the year, flying from Melbourne.

Please let me know the name of your insurer. You can message me if you prefer.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, oldmanemu53 said:

But the other insurance is not needed ,luggage , cancellation etc 

From my experience, the travel insurances that include luggage, cancellations, etc. are cheaper than ones that just covers you for accident etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DarkSideInc said:

What is the worst that can happen?  You are at entrance to large Thai hospital in a charity ambulance/pick up, you are just lying and dying following RTA, motorbike accident, ladyboy stiletto heel- take your pick.

Commercial hospital wishes to do its job- save your life and earn money, if you have insurance it is a no brainer.  If not they will try to roust up enough money to commence working on you.  There is no law to say they have to.

This will be a big one, months in hospital, possible air evacuation back to USA, being 30 I assume your parents are alive and the choice will be put to them- do not worry the hospital will have much experience of this scenario.

Your insurer too will have much experience and will have a local investigator checking that you fulfilled your side of the insurance contract- being Thailand this investigation will cost only a few $100, add a bit for the USA checks.

Up to you, friends can always start a go fund me, and 99% nothing bad happens and you can spend the premium you have saved- are you feeling lucky.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DarkSideInc said:

Considering you're from the US how much would you pay if a car ran over you and pulled a runner? Thank Buddha that in Thailand drivers are very cautious and don't engage in risky behaviour while driving. 

• Like 1

I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.

3 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

From my experience, the travel insurances that include luggage, cancellations, etc. are cheaper than ones that just covers you for accident etc.

Never saw that , 😳so they cover you for more but are cheaper?

Can't see anything like that in Australia 

Edited by oldmanemu53

4 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

I may be going to Thailand at the end of the year, flying from Melbourne.

Please let me know the name of your insurer. You can message me if you prefer.

Thanks.

There are 2 that are cheaper

Try insure & go 

Zoom insurance 

4 minutes ago, oldmanemu53 said:

There are 2 that are cheaper

Try insure & go 

Zoom insurance 

I use UK version of "insure + go"

Annual policy ,any number of trips per year but only up to 31 days per trip

Can cover pre-existing illness  (small surcharge ,providing fit to travel)

Remember you want Wordwide zone excluding US + Canada 

I get the medical and make sure it includes emergency repatriation insurance. I don't trust insurance not to wiggle out of paying for a lot of things, but I want medical.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 20:54, oldmanemu53 said:

Save your money 

Yep I'd go along entirely with that

There was a product out of the UK that I used in early 90's that offered medical only coverage. I lost contact when I started working for Barclays as had auto cover via bank

Now retired I wouldnt mind finding that type of facility again if anyone is aware

Edited by KyleReading

Whatever insurance policy you take out, just make sure you haven't been drinking if you happen to end up in hospital. As an Aussie lady recently found out when she fell over and hit her head. The insurance company refused to pay her hospital operation costs, because she had alcohol in her system at the time of the accident.

Also insurers don't like you driving a motorbike, or being the passenger on one in Thailand. So check all the exclusions regarding motorbikes, if they cover them, some insurers don't cover any injuries on motorbikes at all.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12172033/Holiday-warning-Aussie-woman-fighting-life-Thailand-accident-NO-insurance-cover.html

45 minutes ago, Farangkie said:

Also insurers don't like you driving a motorbike, or being the passenger on one in Thailand. So check all the exclusions regarding motorbikes, if they cover them, some insurers don't cover any injuries on motorbikes at all.

I have never found that.

But all policies I have taken out, over the years, the bike can be no larger than 125cc, helmet must be worn, driver must have the proper license for the Country, and not be under the influence of drink and drugs.

And that goes for riding pillion on a motorbike taxi also.