IGNORED

How's the health in older age?

oldmanemu53

I am  quite lucky to be relatively healthy in my 60's

I didn't drink alcohol too much nor smoked.

Saying that I still suffer from pains in the back , arms ,bum etc 

I often wonder if I had the same lifestyle as my late dad if I would of made it.

He drank everyday ,was a member of the buffalo lodge and their motto was to get pissed as a fart to excess every weekend.

He made it to 70 and that was thru good luck .

So as I wandered around places like Phuket and Bali to see young men and women  drinking to excess I wonder what their health will be like in 30 years time.

Has your past lifestyle affected your health ?

Do you know of anyone now paying for their past lifestyle whether that be alcohol,smoking ,drugs ?

Any regret, I guess they had a good time 

54 and a half and so far so good. Except for maybe a month each year (vacations) after 27,  I pretty much didn't drink. However, I had a bad habit of smoking when I drank, they went so well together. I stopped that habit 8 years ago after watching my mom go through lung cancer, she chained smoked. Dad was a drunk, passed out each night after about 15 beers. He died at 57.

I smoked pot for one year straight almost after high school, but haven't since I was 20 because of military and government jobs. I flirt with the idea of trying it again, but then realize it won't be what I remembered or enjoyed, can't be 19 again lol.

Funny you mention knowing anyone that was affected by drugs or alcohol. 3 of my highschool friends died at 49 or 50, I know two were hard drug users. The leader of the pack, shot himself in the face on purpose with a shotgun at 34, also a hard-core drug user.

I feel good, but I can see things changing in the gym. Like recovery times, run times. I suppose that's age letting me know I'm not exempt.

I think about mortality sometimes but we don't get to choose our fate. I think everything in moderation is the best we can do.

Edited by Sanook4me

Neither drinking nor smoking is the real problem. But less excercise. 

As long as you keep fit and keep your blood pressure on a good level and your sogar intake under control, you will do it good for a long while.

By keeping fit I mean not 1 hour in the gym. But Jogging an hour in the morning, swimming 5 to 10 laps, cycling 20km, trekking in the mountains 1000m height within 3 hours....

Go for it!

• Like 2

Drinking alcohol to excess  early in age I think is the culprit.

Why do some guys look old at 50 and others don't 

How many do you see in Pattaya and Phuket who are 50yo and look 60

21 hours ago, Marc5 said:

By keeping fit I mean not 1 hour in the gym. But Jogging an hour in the morning, swimming 5 to 10 laps, cycling 20km, trekking in the mountains 1000m height within 3 hours....

Go for it!

Not sure if that's overdoing it 🤣

• 2 months later...

Comparing your choices with those of your late dad, who led a much different lifestyle, brings up interesting thoughts. It's like contemplating two roads diverging in a wood, each leading to distinct outcomes. The leather harness of life's choices seems to have pulled you in a direction that's brought you this far with relatively good health.

Observing young individuals indulging in excessive drinking in vibrant places like Phuket and Bali can't help but evoke curiosity about their futures. It's a reminder of how our actions today can cast shadows on our tomorrows. Stories of people facing health challenges due to their past choices aren't uncommon, whether it's the toll of alcohol, smoking, or other substances.

Yet, it's important to remember that life is a tapestry woven from a myriad of experiences. While some may have regrets about their past choices, it's evident that they also had their fair share of memorable moments. Striking that balance between living life to the fullest and safeguarding our health is indeed a complex art.

I regret 2 things. I'm addicted to food. I'm a glutton. Unfortunately I don't put on weight, so had no incentive to change my ways. Until suspected heart problems. I regret eating to excess. In Thailand, due to my change of diet, I always feel much better after a week (even with heavy drinking) and look younger. Let food by thy medicine. I've flirted with the idea of moving to thailand, to extend my life expectancy, but i general can't stand the people. Issan people were very nice but I don't have enough experience in that province.

The 2nd thing I regret is ambition. I always worked hard in an executive job and aged prematurely. I look much older than my older siblings. When I retired early, looking at my pics, I haven't aged at all, in 10 years.

In short, eat well and don't work. The key to a healthy life.

29 minutes ago, 1tooth said:

moving to thailand, to extend my life expectancy, but i general can't stand the people. Issan people were very nice but I don't have enough experience in that province

I don't understand this. Years of living here. Mainly Bangkok and Pattaya. But even places like Phuket or Samui, most of the people I interact with are from Isaan. 

30 minutes ago, 1tooth said:

eat well and don't work

A difficult combo to achieve. Hopefully some day. 

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, 1tooth said:

.....Issan people were very nice but I don't have enough experience in that province.

Quiz Q......

.........how many Provinces in Isaan?

4 minutes ago, Edge said:

Quiz Q......

Got the feeling  this is a trick question 🤔 

On 17/08/2023 at 17:12, Edge said:

Quiz Q......

One more than there used to be since Bung Khan was made a separate province.

• Haha 2

I just turned 62 and on the cusp of retirement this December.  In late July my right hip started bothering me, now I've got full on bursitis in just over three weeks later. I work remotely from home and have been since covid.  They took away our office space at work so we didn't have a choice anyway.  I'm very sedetary and gained enough weight to break 300 lbs.  The bursitis is enough to keep me from walking any long distance.  I don't know if sitting on my ass 8 hours a day working from home as caused this bursitis but it sure led to me getting fat.   Now I'm facing arriving at BKK in January using a fucking cane to get around.  Beyond depressing.  Started physical therapy so heres hoping I can get back on my feet, else I'll be canceling my traval plans..

Op...

Similar to you... I watched my Father drink and smoke himself to an early grave.... Rode in the Ambulance with him as a 14yo and saw them in emergency using the paddles to restart him... It did not work.... He was 47 ! He was also an interstate truck driver, given that and his love of cheap wine and smokes it was always going to happen I guess. 

It certainly had an effect on me... I have never smoked and could not even call myself a 'social' drinker.... In the back of my mind I always feared dying before my own children reached adulthood.... Luckily I happy to say that did not happen. 

I was fortunate to be able to retire at 50 to Thailand. 10yrs later I am still here and loving life...   Had a few scares along the way, but lived to fight another day. I have seen many a bar owner / manager friend die here from the excesses that life has.... I guess they are happy... 

Not sure how long I have left, riding big bikes over here is challenging, but I ride to live and live to ride :)

• Like 3

Regards, Atlas.

1 hour ago, Curator said:

I don't know if sitting on my ass 8 hours a day working from home as caused this bursitis but it sure led to me getting fat.   

No you got fat solely because of what you chose to put in your mouth. 

I worked from home for the last 15 years. It was so easy to make the right food choices, compared with an office based job IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Curator said:

I just turned 62 and on the cusp of retirement this December.  In late July my right hip started bothering me, now I've got full on bursitis in just over three weeks later. I work remotely from home and have been since covid.  They took away our office space at work so we didn't have a choice anyway.  I'm very sedetary and gained enough weight to break 300 lbs.  The bursitis is enough to keep me from walking any long distance.  I don't know if sitting on my ass 8 hours a day working from home as caused this bursitis but it sure led to me getting fat.   Now I'm facing arriving at BKK in January using a fucking cane to get around.  Beyond depressing.  Started physical therapy so heres hoping I can get back on my feet, else I'll be canceling my traval plans..

How are you going to travel comfortable on the plane ride?

You are going to have to book business class 

On 03/06/2023 at 06:01, oldmanemu53 said:

Not sure if that's overdoing it 🤣

If you do it as old fart in one day... yes. But if you have that program in a week - you will even enjoy fucking in exciting positions.....

• 1 month later...

One girl a day keep the problems away. No really, used to go to body fit on 88 some time now and it's great experience so far. I feel healthy working out often. No alcohol, but every day a girl keeps me going.

• 3 weeks later...

5 liters of water a day , minimum one hour in the gym a day Muay Thai 2 hours on weekends has done me good but yeah recovery times take much longer and i need that hour on the sofa now . 

I retired at 59 I’m now nearly 65,and if I’m honest I’m in better health than when I was 40.I play golf a few times a week ,go to the gym three times a week and walk when not doing one of those things,it’s too easy and enjoyable to sit in front of the tv during the day,as the old man always said every day yu wake up is a blessing and always just put one foot in front of the other.I still have aches and pains but that was being stupid when your younger at work,no health and safety then ,just a big foreman telling you to do it or else.

Health is definitely more important when you get to a certain age(for me that was about 55- 57 now).    There are certainly some things you do/did when you were younger that will magnify these problems, but there also is some genetics involved.   There are all kinds of things you can do to deal with these and I have to think that is a growth industry.    I know I take pills, looking at operations(knee replacement), full body checkups annually, and really do change my schedule of life even on a daily basis compared to what I was doing even 2 years ago.   I eat less than I ever did, but still have to watch my weight more.  I have aches I never would have expected before and sleep patterns are different.  Drinking in excess certainly affects me more.  Thankfully I never smoked as a habit.

My lifestyle would still not be considered healthy, but my goal is to make 75 doing everything that I do today on a diminishing basis - 6 months work, 6 months travel/life in mongering type destinations.  If I make that goal I expect another 10 years or so of fully assisted type living(have not figured out details on this - lol).  My parents are both in their 80's and arguably healthier than than me, but their lifestyle choices have been very different from mine.  

• Like 2

Pretty much a couch potato except for work travel from 20s to early 50s. Steadily gained weight. Always mongered when travelling, nothing heavy. 

Then got into mongering on a regular basis, without fail clubs and bars on weekend nights. To my surprise became a lot more active and healthier. Began to lose weight. I suspect the late night snacks a coach potato was replaced by nights out.  

I am now healthiest since my early 20s. Of all medications, doctor too is surprised. I do a bit of cycling and gym encouraged by weight loss and active lifestyle. 

I am certain that clubs and bars at night just woke me up.  

• Like 1

Mid-60s, often accused of looking 10 years younger.  Not slim but hit the gym 3-4x/week work permitting and pretty damn strong IIDSSM.  Hair mostly salt, some pepper, thinner than before but no bare spots.  Drink 4-5 nights/week, only beer, same frequency or a little more now than when I was younger (can afford it now), although not as much in a session as my maximum as a younger guy (last night 2 for example,on all but the occasional heavy session fewer than 10).  Rarely if ever sick, had the Bat Soup Flu about 5x (despite being "vaccinated" :rolleyes:) and never missed work or the gym.  Most problems caused by gout.  Married to a younger chick (late 40s) who can't keep up with me.  :Grin3:

Father died at 80 of cancer, smoked like a forest fire from about age 8 until nearly 60 (IIRC).  Mom a cancer survivor in her early 90s, still able to take care of herself, clean her house, and drive a car.  Both light/social drinkers only.

My attitude:  Every day pretty much like the day before.  I'll take what my body has for me on any given day.  Take life as it comes, enjoy the good times, be prepared for the challenges that are surely ahead.

Edited by Bruce Mangosteen
  • Like 2

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.