IGNORED

Photography

DAVE6

:GrinNod1:

Have been thinking about getting back in to Photography somthing I used to do in my teens (just a year or so ago i wish) I see on hear some very good quality photos. At the moment I am using a Lumix TZ5 whats not a bad little camra. For my frist trip to Pattaya I have been thinking of getting a SLR camra. I have been looking at the Cannon EOR range still have my old Cannon A1 film camra which all ways use to get some good quality photos. My little Lumix will be fine for all the lovely ladys. While I am there I would like to get out and about and would like to get some good pic on a good camra. So can all the photographers out there make any recomendations on what camra I should by.

Many thanks to all the bm who all ways seem to have the answers to any question.

Dave

Dave

As a second camera I bought an Olympus UZ 570 has lots of features plus a lens that will allow you a very decent zoom without having to change lenses. Operates on 4XAA batteries so no worries there either. I have been very pleased and use it for my Culture trips and outings my other is a Canon A 590 good small and great pics. WORKS FOR ME!!!!!

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Got a Canon EOS but hope to upgrade to a Nikon D90 or (if I can get the bread) a D300. The Lumix DMC-TZ5 mentioned earlier is good - got a couple of mates who have one and they love them.

If you want some no-nonsense online camera advice, Ken Rockwell (see link below) gives a lot of excellent common-sense advise. Start there and read & download and you won't go too far wrong.................

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

katmandilo - i got myself a new Canon G10 recently as well and can really recommend it!

all the handling of a DSLR (if you want to be bothered with it), but it fits (just about) snugly into your pocket

most of the time point-and-shoot is good enough (for me), but once in a while you need the fancy controls, for instance when you're in the beergarden and need a long exposure remote controlled shot of the pattaya sign!

but most importantly, it's handy and relatively small not to attract too much attention when you snap away at the beauties

IMG_0226.JPG

i have the new sony t700! great camera!!! :WhoSaw1:

sony_t700_t77_2.jpg

We've just started with Nikon D80s to cover MMA events in the UK

But are improving with every show.

Our website in the UK www.mmapics.com

We are still learning to get them right pics.

getting the right lenses is exspensive

then getting the right lighting is frustrating

I have a G9 too. I Just say G10 cause it's the new one.

They really make cameras, not like Sony or Panasonic.

:GoldenSmile1:

Have been thinking about getting back in to Photography somthing I used to do in my teens (just a year or so ago i wish) I see on hear some very good quality photos. At the moment I am using a Lumix TZ5 whats not a bad little camra. For my frist trip to Pattaya I have been thinking of getting a SLR camra. I have been looking at the Cannon EOR range still have my old Cannon A1 film camra which all ways use to get some good quality photos. My little Lumix will be fine for all the lovely ladys. While I am there I would like to get out and about and would like to get some good pic on a good camra. So can all the photographers out there make any recomendations on what camra I should by.

Many thanks to all the bm who all ways seem to have the answers to any question.

Dave

I also have a Canon A1 but have not touched it for six years since I bought my first digital. Many of the pics I have taken on two digital compacts have been disappointing compared to what I have photographed on the A1. For a first trip to Pattaya your TZ5 will be fine. Save the money and spend it on girls. If you want a new low end DSLR I have seen some great pics out of a Nikon D40. If you want to spend more, the D90 seems a good choice but you will need to spend a lot of money on some decent glass for it.

I have been using Casio Exilim's for the last couple of years. I currently have two 10 megapixels ones and i absolutely love em.

Having said that on my last trip i got a Canon EOS 1000D DSLR. The last SLR i had was a Milolta X700 and that was about 20 years ago. Its taken me a little time to get used to it but the EOS is a fooking awesome camera. The results i'm getting from it are amazing and so much better than my compacts. Especially now that i'm starting to use the manual modes.

For Songkran and island hoping i also have a waterproof (and beer proof :D ) Pentax.

Edited by Shuggy

Testicles

If you want DSLR i recommend Olympus E-3 as its water proof, image stabilization in the camerabody, can shoot up too 5 fps, and Olympus have very good lenses.

The great thing about Olympus is you have image stabilator with every lens. This will save you alot of money in the long run.

And put some extra money down for a good lens. what ever brand you choose.

I have also have warm feelings about Pentax DSLR.

I aint saying Nikon and Canon is bad, but you get more bang for the buck with Olympus and Pentax.

When im in pattaya i dont bother take the DSLR with out for a walk.

So i bring my Canon IXUS 860 IS or in usa Canon PowerShot SD870 IS.

For those who want a compact camera i recommend Panasonic LX3

This camera have the best lens of all compact cameras in the market together with Leica D-lux 4.

Good luck in your hunt for better pictures. :D

I love my Nikon D80. The guys at the beginning are right about the best shots being how you make them and not the equipment but that being said it's still nice to have a great camera. You can get the D80 for half the price it was last year. I think it is easy to use and the quality of the photos are amazing.

016.JPG

I have a Olympus E-520 with two sets of lenses. I wish I knew I was not going to use so much when I bought it. The simple fact is you can get suckered in by pattaya and never get out and about on your trips for taking photos. My Olympus udnerwater camera 790 or something like that is the go for me. Take it everywhere and not worry about breaking it. Been having about a year and half now and have dropped from various heights, accidentally slung it across the room a few times, taken it snorkeling and everything else. It is a bullet proof little piece of equipment.

I think I have taken my DSLR on about 3 episodes of photo taking. Shoulda just saved the money, LOL....

I have been using Casio Exilim's for the last couple of years. I currently have two 10 megapixels ones and i absolutely love em.

Having said that on my last trip i got a Canon EOS 1000D DSLR. The last SLR i had was a Milolta X700 and that was about 20 years ago. Its taken me a little time to get used to it but the EOS is a fooking awesome camera. The results i'm getting from it are amazing and so much better than my compacts. Especially now that i'm starting to use the manual modes.

For Songkran and island hoping i also have a waterproof (and beer proof :FunnyPost1: ) Pentax.

So you finally cracked and got a DSLR!!.... :D

I have also used the Exilims and I am now on my second one. They are good for what they are but DSLRs do take better photos.

Last year I bought a Pentax K200D. It is a low end DSLR but has as many features as I need. It takes a bit of time to find out how to do what you want with them but once that is learnt they are easy to use.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Guest Harlequin

Everyone has their own tastes - personally I use Canon (5D2) - and would second the people here that recommended the G10 for a walkabout camera. If you want to get back into it go checkout some of the websites like dpreview.com and see what you like. The Olympus does have a lot going for it

If money is not an issue and Canon is yor brand then it's easy:

Canon Eos 5D MarkII.

It's a full frame camera and no point&shooter comes near it.

I agree that the mind of the photographer is of far more importance than the equipment.

If I was in the market to get seriously into photography though, I'd get an SLR.

Decide between Canon or Nikon. Once your decision is made, its expensive to go back. After you've bought lenses, you can use those for many many years, and just replace bodies as new technology becomes fashionable.

If you're on a budget, don't spend a lot of money on the camera body, unless you need a specific feature for some purpose. If you get more serious later and want to invest more into your hobby, you will always have your starter camera as a backup body and any lenses will still be good as long as you stick with the same manufacturer.

10Mpixels is plenty these days, don't get hung up on the MP numbers, higher doesn't always mean better.

I have a canon 40d and am very happy with it, however had I not bought it for work, I would have probably gone with a smaller rebel xti, or a nikon d60.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

Depends a lot on your intended style of photography, i.e. mine is 'walkabout', and often results in me prancing about the countryside for a few hours with it slung around my neck, so size and weight are paramount to me which is why I bought into the Olympus system - that and the realistic colours they are known for. Mine is currently an old shitter of an E-300, but with the muchly improved E-620 on the horizon it may well be time to upgrade in the near future.

Be scene and not herd.

• 3 weeks later...

Ken Rockwell is full of himself, but still has a very good site.

I used to be a Canon SLR disciple but recently went to Sony. They have anti-shake in the camera and allow use of old Minolta Maxxum lenses, which are dirt cheap and plentiful. In the past 2 months I have bought 3 used Maxxum lenses (50mm 1.7, 28mm 2.8, 28-220 4.2.6.5) for a grand total of $207 and one of the lenses came with a flash, a set of Tiffen filters, and a Maxxum HTsi Plus film SLR - all in great condition. I can easily carry the SLR body along if I feel like shooting in "Real RAW". :Moon2:

The following pic is about an 80% crop with an Alpha 200 with the Sony 18-70mm kit lens:

3495551231_3d836c0b60.jpg

San Francisco Cocksucka !!!

"Hey, you ever hear, Tom, the Chinese whore has a ancient way of milking ya of yer sorrow, your loneliness and that awful feeling of bein’ forsaken?"

"Seems to me that’d leave you with nothing."

I just traded in my Nikon D200 for a D300, however I will continue to travel to Thailand with my Canon G9 because of the weight and size.