IGNORED

Photography

DAVE6

The Canon G10 is a serious bit of kit, superb results, however as I shoot a lot of glamour I always take my Nikon D2X with me as well plus a couple of lenses and flash just in case

Guest Harlequin

A D2X, multiple lenses and flash !!!!! - If the girl robs you she can retire on that lot ;)

I felt somewhat concerned last week when I popped down to Pattaya for a couple of nights - had to adjust the in-room safe at the Tim Boutique, pulling-out the shelf, in order to wedge the 5D2 and flash in it - spare lens locked in the suitcase. Unfortunately I was too drunk both nights to be arsed to get the camera out when I got back to the room! Took a few in Bangkok - will post a couple in a new thread.

Guest Harlequin

True - I always keep mine in an old Wilson tennis backpack - when carrying it about - but more often than not I'll use the G9 when walking around in places like Pattaya and AC. I put the 5D2 in the backpack around 11am on Thursday(last week) my second day there and wandered down to and along the beach road for some food and with the idea of taking a few snaps - but didn't even take it out of the bag - it just felt wrong!

• 2 months later...

I still use a Canon 20D digital slr........might only be 8mp but still blows away any digital compact on the market and you can get them second hand for £200. I regularly shoot fashion and glamour with mine as well as cars, however I have upgraded to L series glass. I had no problem walking around Pattaya with it during the day although I did make sure I had the strap firmly secured around my wrist. I was just going to take my little Nikon point and shoot but at the last minute I changed my mind. I am glad I did as I got some great shots of the floating market and the bridge over the river Kwai.

Just to show that you dont need to spend thousands on a dslr (spend the money on lenses instead)

car001.jpg

I have a Canon 400D (Rebel XTi) but dream of upgrading to a 5D MK2. If you are looking for a SLR I highly recommend the Canon 5D MK2 it is probably the best SLR money can buy. It has excellent high ISO for low light - no flash in the bedroom ;) and it has 1080P High Def video which with a good lens becomes an almost cinema quality HD camera. The price is also very reasonable for what you get. Otherwise for a point and shoot camera you have a variety of brands and styles to chose from depending on your needs. If having the thinnest camera is not your thing then the Canon G10 (or G9) is the best option out there. It gives you almost the same quality as a SLR and you can shoot in RAW too. One thing I look for in point and shoot cameras is low light performance (as well as flash power) since you often will use them indoors, for outdoors most cameras perform about the same because of the low ISO needed. The high ISO performance is what separates the men from boys.