IGNORED

How to get an International Driving Permit in Thailand, using my Thai Licence, to use in New Zealand?

Encora

I am a NZ resident, living in Thailand. I intend to go back to NZ for a visit. I hold a NZ licence as well as a Thai licence.

I just found that my NZ licence expired a few weeks ago. How do I obtain a Thai issued IDP, so I can drive in NZ from the moment I arrive?

once in NZ, I need to drive from moment of arrival, it may take a few days before I can get my NZ licence updated.

21 minutes ago, Encora said:

I am a NZ resident, living in Thailand. I intend to go back to NZ for a visit. I hold a NZ licence as well as a Thai licence.

I just found that my NZ licence expired a few weeks ago. How do I obtain a Thai issued IDP, so I can drive in NZ from the moment I arrive?

once in NZ, I need to drive from moment of arrival, it may take a few days before I can get my NZ licence updated.

You can drive on your Thai Licence for up to 3 months. Actually I am doing it now.

Do not need an IDP.

41 minutes ago, Encora said:

How do I obtain a Thai issued IDP,..........................

Not Pattaya last I heard....have to go to Chonburi.

Costs 500 Baht I think.

https://www.waze.com/en-GB/live-map/directions/department-of-land-transport-(chonburi)-banglamung-branch-nong-pla-lai-bang-lamung-(chon-buri)?to=place.w.66191490.661718289.13327878

4 hours ago, thainet said:

You can drive on your Thai Licence for up to 3 months. Actually I am doing it now.

Do not need an IDP.

Do you mean I can drive on my Thai Licence in New Zealand for three months? And rent a car using my Thai Licence?

4 hours ago, Edge said:

The link you sent is to the transport office next to Regents school. Do you know where the Chonburi branch is that you recommend ?

28 minutes ago, Encora said:

Do you mean I can drive on my Thai Licence in New Zealand for three months? And rent a car using my Thai Licence?

Yup, true what @thainet says.

And you can get your NZ licence sorted in short order at AA. As long as you can show you were out of NZ when it expired (stamps in passport), and your old licence (of course) it is quite straight forward for Class 1 & Class 5. Can do it on the day you arrive. (Unfortunately not also true for Firearms Licence!!)

For other classes you may need a medical certificate….. Good luck finding a medical centre to get that if you are not registered at one.

Mine was expired more than 10 years. Getting an appointment to get a med cert for Class 2 & 4 was the most difficult part.

Edited by Micky2

35 minutes ago, Encora said:

The link you sent is to the transport office next to Regents school. Do you know where the Chonburi branch is that you recommend ?

Oops sorry

Try this -- 

Shared route
From (12.9246653,100.8774811) to Chonburi Land Transportation Authority Office, Sriracha Branch via Route 3.

37 min (26 km)
37 min in current traffic

1. Head east toward พัทยาใต้ 24
2. Turn right onto พัทยาใต้ 24
3. Turn left onto ถ. พัทยาใต้
4. Turn left onto Route 3
5. Continue straight to stay on Route 3
6. Keep right to stay on Route 3
7. Slight left
8. Turn right onto ถนน แหลมฉบังเหนือ
9. Turn left onto มโนรม
10. Sharp right onto ถ. มโนรม ซ. 1
11. Turn left after สถานตรวจสภาพรถ สุวดี เซอร์วิส (on the left)
12. Continue straight
13. Sharp left
14. Turn right
15. Arrive at location: Chonburi Land Transportation Authority Office, Sriracha Branch
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/swTU5fXsrNPdi66o7

2 hours ago, Encora said:

Also answered above by another poster.

Yes you can, but if you feel you want an IDP then go ahead. 

I decided to go and get my IDP after all, just in case!

drove to. Chonburi LTO,  to be told “Yes, we can do it, but you need a Residence Certificate from Immigration, nearest immigration office Sri Racha, 27 km……

drove to Sri Racha, arrived 11.50 AM, feared I’d have to wait hours like Jomtien, no, in and out in five minutes, most efficient Immigration office ever!

now waiting again at Chonburi LTO….

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Encora said:

I decided to go and get my IDP after all, just in case!

drove to. Chonburi LTO,  to be told “Yes, we can do it, but you need a Residence Certificate from Immigration, nearest immigration office Sri Racha, 27 km……

drove to Sri Racha, arrived 11.50 AM, feared I’d have to wait hours like Jomtien, no, in and out in five minutes, most efficient Immigration office ever!

now waiting again at Chonburi LTO….

Apologies, I knew that but .............at least you didn't have to go to Jomtien......and yes Si Racha is very efficient.

You mean 27 kms round trip ?

Edited by Edge