IGNORED

EVA Business Class Review LHR-BKK November 2022(& May 2023)

davidge

2 minutes ago, rioman said:

Last February I flew business Thai airways bkk-lhr and than Avianca LHR-Bogota.  Seemed to me that Eva was quite a bit more expensive than thai and I really thought thai was so much better than Avianca.  This was only my 2nd time in LHR and while I was very impressed with the friendliness/speed that airport staff processed people I was less than impressed with the Air Canada business lounge.  Found it small, lacking in variety, and that closing at 8pm thing seems very lame.  I believe my avianca flight left at 8:30PM so it was not such a big deal, but certainly something to think about if going through LHR again.  

I think any of the Asian airlines are so much better than NA/EU airline alternatives.  I have not experienced Emirates/other mid eastern laternatives, but funny enough that turkish airlines lounge/services in Istanbul really makes it a good consideration.  However, I was travelling right at time of big earthquake there so passed on it this time.  

I flew Thai Biz not long before Covid. EVA is much much better.

As for lounges, it used to be possible to use any Star Alliance lounge at LHR. Singapore was probably the best but doesn’t allow non-Singapore passengers now. United was pretty good, but always closed too early for the EVA flight. It was a good option for the Thai morning flight - excellent ‘Full English’ breakfast. Air Canada was ok - much better than Lufthansa and much better than BA in T5.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, davidge said:

I flew Thai Biz not long before Covid. EVA is much much better.

As for lounges, it used to be possible to use any Star Alliance lounge at LHR. Singapore was probably the best but doesn’t allow non-Singapore passengers now. United was pretty good, but always closed too early for the EVA flight. It was a good option for the Thai morning flight - excellent ‘Full English’ breakfast. Air Canada was ok - much better than Lufthansa and much better than BA in T5.

Agree that the Singapore & United lounges are much better than Air Canada at LHR, in fact I think the Air Canada lounge in Terminla 2 is rubbish.

Not had a problem getting into the Singapore lounge when I fly Thai or Eva unless they have changed their policy recently, but I am Gold on Thai if that makes a difference??

4 hours ago, rioman said:

I think any of the Asian airlines are so much better than NA/EU airline alternatives.  I have not experienced Emirates/other mid eastern laternatives, but funny enough that turkish airlines lounge/services in Istanbul really makes it a good consideration.  However, I was travelling right at time of big earthquake there so passed on it this time.  

I know people like to crap on US airlines, but the last few trips I’ve taken, I found American and United to be better than Thai or Cathay Pacific, at least in business. I just flew JAL last week and it was really good. A lot of times the experience depends on the aircraft configuration. This time I had a Sky Suite III, but when I flew them 5 years ago, they still had lie-at-an-angle on their 787’s.

9 hours ago, tt2008 said:

Not had a problem getting into the Singapore lounge when I fly Thai or Eva unless they have changed their policy recently, but I am Gold on Thai if that makes a difference??

Before Covid I was always told I could choose any lounge but in November I was told Singapore now only accepts it’s own passengers.

On 06/05/2023 at 16:54, bgtp said:

I just flew JAL last week and it was really good. A lot of times the experience depends on the aircraft configuration.

That is good news for me. Thinking about using JAL for my next trip to LOS and then using SQ for the short trip between Bangkok and Singapore (RT). I have heard good reports on The JAL flights from the West Coast to Manila.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2023 at 12:10, davidge said:

The flight is LHR-TPE-LHR but stops at BKK en route.

Interesting, so Taiwan and Thailand have an open skies agreement?

13 minutes ago, CanadaMatt said:

Interesting, so Taiwan and Thailand have an open skies agreement?

I don’t know the details but it’s not the only airline with a similar ‘arrangement’. Emirates have (or at least had, not checked recently) a flight from Dubai to Hong Kong that stops at BKK and picks up passengers.

On 07/05/2023 at 08:28, davidge said:

Before Covid I was always told I could choose any lounge but in November I was told Singapore now only accepts it’s own passengers.

At the beginning of March, I used both the Air Canada and Singapore lounges at Heathrow when flying EVA.

I flew business with EVA in January, I was able to use the Singapore Lounge.

I actually prefer the ambiance in the Maple lounge, but closing at 8pm is an issue.

Sent from my Panasonic Microwave Oven.

Cant fault Eva

Flew them the first time out of Gatwick (yep lol) around 1993 when they stopped in Vienna on the outbound leg

I can even remember what I paid which was £440 via that Thai Adventures crew from Guernsey with Brian Kelly and Nick Hurn

30 years ago lol hard to believe because can remember it like yesterday. First airline to intrduce premium economy as well and have 4 classes on their 747's of that era

I liked the Combi's they used which had the evergreen deluxe seating (Elite now) in the nose cone massive legroom in the scattered seats

Edited by KyleReading

On 16/11/2022 at 09:02, davidge said:

Yes, but I want to book the cart so have to include the fasttrack even though I’m in Biz. Due to a fairly serious back condition I can’t be absolutely sure if I’m going to be able to walk very far after a flight so take the easy option if it’s available. I dread flying back into LHR.

As a general info for those having sorts of (temporary or permanent) mobility issues, one can always book the wheelchair service. It starts at the check in counter, through all your trip, intermediate connections, till arrival hall after customs (or taxi stand if you are not picked up) 

the service has no fees, grants priority lanes at security and immigration(s), based on bona fide (no docs to be provided) and it is exploited by each airport in coordination with airline(s) you are flying with. 

Dropped and picked up at plane door (unless your conditions require service to and from your seat).

there are 3 levels of service coded by IATA and you sort it out with the airline customer service at booking time depending on your conditions.

hope it helps fellow BM as we are all getting old!

40 minutes ago, A6-GIV said:

As a general info for those having sorts of (temporary or permanent) mobility issues, one can always book the wheelchair service. It starts at the check in counter, through all your trip, intermediate connections, till arrival hall after customs (or taxi stand if you are not picked up) 

the service has no fees, grants priority lanes at security and immigration(s), based on bona fide (no docs to be provided) and it is exploited by each airport in coordination with airline(s) you are flying with. 

Dropped and picked up at plane door (unless your conditions require service to and from your seat).

there are 3 levels of service coded by IATA and you sort it out with the airline customer service at booking time depending on your conditions.

hope it helps fellow BM as we are all getting old!

Thanks, I’m aware of the free service. I arranged it for my parents a few times. I’m really not comfortable having someone push me around in a wheelchair though, and I’m not really at that stage yet.

On departure I’m fine making my own way - I always arrive early and take my time through the airport. The buggy service on arrival at Bangkok is relatively inexpensive in the scheme of things so I’m glad to make use of it. It’s a shame there’s nothing similar at Heathrow which I always find a bit of a nightmare.

From my parents’ experience though the wheelchair service at Heathrow is dreadful. On departure they’d sit near check in waiting for someone to take them through security. Then they’d be dumped the other side to wait for a buggy, before waiting again for a wheelchair for the next bit. It often took 90 minutes to get to near the gate. On arrival it would be waiting near the gate for a buggy which then went to other gates to collect other passengers before dumping them somewhere to wait for a wheelchair to take them through immigration and customs.

On 06/05/2023 at 12:05, davidge said:

Less than 3 weeks to my next flight so time to choose the meals:

IMG_5614.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

Another review would be nice, enjoyed the last one

13 hours ago, mercmanrob said:

Another review would be nice, enjoyed the last one

I wasn’t planning to do a full one, just brief comments but I’ll see how it goes.

EVA do automatic check-in as long as you’ve completed your details beforehand so my boarding card was available last night. It says Lufthansa Lounge again so I’ll have to speak to the check-in desk at LHR. If they won’t let me use Singapore then I’d rather go to the Air Canada lounge and wander down to the gate when the lounge closes at 8.

On board menus were also available online:

Main meal - though I’ve pre-ordered one of the dishes not on this menu (no salad and soup which were available last flight so 4 courses not 6)

IMG_5681.jpeg

Snacks

IMG_5682.jpeg

Breakfast - though I’ll probably not bother with the main dishes and just have croissants, fruit & yoghurt. Last 2 trips I’ve come very close to throwing up in the taxi on the way to Pattaya so I’ll try eating less before landing.

IMG_5683.jpeg

• Like 1

Has anyone tried China Airlines?  Their prices are currently much better for me compared to EVA. They also use Taiwan as a hub and have a similar schedule to Thailand from North America. 

The reviews look ok.  About the same rating as EVA.  They have newish A350s which are a lot newer than the 777s EVA flies from North America.  Also, they only use 9 across configuration as far as I can tell.  Most EVA 777s use 10 across which means about 2 inches less seat width in cattle class.  That makes a big difference on a 12 hour flight if someone is sitting next to you.

Edited by Kale

2 minutes ago, Kale said:

Has anyone tried China Airlines?  They are Taiwan's other national carrier.  Like EVA, they also use Taiwan as a hub and have a similar schedule to Thailand from North America.  The reviews look ok.  They have newish A350s which are newer than the 777s EVA flies from North America.  Also, they only use 9 across configuration.  Most EVA 777s use 10 across which means about 2 inches less seat width in cattle class.  That makes a big difference on a 12 hour flight.

I have read a number of reviews on them, but mainly for their business class.  They consistently get strong reviews for their hard product and service.

I almost flew them Premium Economy, but found an award ticket instead.

They are part of the Sky Team alliance (with Delta)

Seat Guru will give exact seat dimensions (width and pitch), if you want to compare.

3 hours ago, Kale said:

Has anyone tried China Airlines?  Their prices are currently much better for me compared to EVA. They also use Taiwan as a hub and have a similar schedule to Thailand from North America. 

The reviews look ok.  About the same rating as EVA.  They have newish A350s which are a lot newer than the 777s EVA flies from North America.  Also, they only use 9 across configuration as far as I can tell.  Most EVA 777s use 10 across which means about 2 inches less seat width in cattle class.  That makes a big difference on a 12 hour flight if someone is sitting next to you.

Are China Airlines flying Amsterdam-Bangkok :

direct 

Or go to Taipei first ?

China Airlines was discussed not long ago in this thread:

Be nice if discussion continued there. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

China Airlines was discussed not long ago in this thread:

Be nice if discussion continued there. Thanks.

Thank you 

On 17/05/2023 at 18:49, davidge said:

I don’t know the details but it’s not the only airline with a similar ‘arrangement’. Emirates have (or at least had, not checked recently) a flight from Dubai to Hong Kong that stops at BKK and picks up passengers.

These are called "Fifth freedom flights" and is a loophole in the regulations of where you can fly to/from. Airlines are allowed to do a stop everywhere as long as they keep flying the same plane to their final destination. This is very common in Africa where lots of flights do temporary stops to let people on/off and that way cover to destinations in one.

Well, the new journey has begun. Taxi turns up on the dot. Slightly longer journey time to LHR than normal due to an accident on the M4 near the airport. We went off and down the A4 which was busy but still only 15 minutes over the usual 3 hours.

T2 was quiet. Much quieter than November. EVA Biz check-in was at the back of section A, where it used to be pre-Covid. 2 desks open and only 1 pair in front of me. Slight delay due to them having some queries about what was allowed in luggage but only a few minutes. Another member of staff there to deal with the luggage and put it on the scale.

Very pleasant member of staff (Taiwanese I assume) explained they’d be instructed to only send people to the Lufthansa lounge unless they were Gold FF members and Singapore had even been complaining about that. So not even the Air Canada lounge was an option. I politely explained what I thought of the Lufthansa lounge. He said he’d pass it on but…

Fasttrack security was fairly quiet. Slight delay due to the stupid girl in front of me not having her liquids and electronics ready but I was in the lounge less than half an hour after the car pulled up at the airport.

Warmer welcome to the Lufthansa lounge than last time but the lounge is busy again and not at all relaxing. Not too many seats and impossible to get one with a table.

Sandwiches pretty good, soup not. 2 hot food choices not very appealing so haven’t bothered.

I’ll top up on sparkling water until it’s time to trek to the gate.

1 hour 45 minutes to boarding now…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, davidge said:

Well, the new journey has begun. Taxi turns up on the dot. Slightly longer journey time to LHR than normal due to an accident on the M4 near the airport. We went off and down the A4 which was busy but still only 15 minutes over the usual 3 hours.

T2 was quiet. Much quieter than November. EVA Biz check-in was at the back of section A, where it used to be pre-Covid. 2 desks open and only 1 pair in front of me. Slight delay due to them having some queries about what was allowed in luggage but only a few minutes. Another member of staff there to deal with the luggage and put it on the scale.

Very pleasant member of staff (Taiwanese I assume) explained they’d be instructed to only send people to the Lufthansa lounge unless they were Gold FF members and Singapore had even been complaining about that. So not even the Air Canada lounge was an option. I politely explained what I thought of the Lufthansa lounge. He said he’d pass it on but…

Fasttrack security was fairly quiet. Slight delay due to the stupid girl in front of me not having her liquids and electronics ready but I was in the lounge less than half an hour after the car pulled up at the airport.

Warmer welcome to the Lufthansa lounge than last time but the lounge is busy again and not at all relaxing. Not too many seats and impossible to get one with a table.

Sandwiches pretty good, soup not. 2 hot food choices not very appealing so haven’t bothered.

I’ll top up on sparkling water until it’s time to trek to the gate.

1 hour 45 minutes to boarding now…

I flew EVA Lon-Bangkok BC couple weeks, ago Sunday night flight the meals on the plane were great apart from the half lobster/cod option which I took preflight 

The lobster was  inedible was like trying to eat a rubber ball

3 minutes ago, Pheat said:

I flew EVA Lon-Bangkok BC couple weeks, ago Sunday night flight the meals on the plane were great apart from the half lobster/cod option which I took preflight 

The lobster was  inedible was like trying to eat a rubber ball

It was the same when I had it in November - but I’ve ordered it again as I enjoyed the cod and the other options were heavier.

The Lufthansa lounge is shit at best, not even the United an option?