Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best visa strategy for winter in Thailand with two side trips?

particle

14 hours ago, hioctane said:

You are overthinking things! Getting a visa is a pain in the ass. You are only going for 3 months. Go in on a 45 day exemption. Near day 45, do your planned trip to Cambodia. When you come back, you get another 45 day exemption. 

That's what I've booked, not worried about that, the potential issue would be the return from a second side trip to Vietnam.

Probably ok, but grateful for everyone's insight.  

• 2 weeks later...

So... I've arrived in Thailand. Yay!

I had decided to get a single entry tourist visa to hopefully cover in case of difficulty, cost 30 pounds , I applied online at the weekend and received it by email the following Tuesday evening.

No problem getting on the EVA flight at LHR despite 91 day return, didn't get asked for onward ticket or visa.

I walked past the first immigration area at BKK as suggested in another topic and there was virtually no queue in the second area which may be why the nice immigration lady had time to be helpful.

She asked me how long I was planning to stay (which I have never been asked before, not sure what triggered that, maybe a three week holiday earlier in the year) and then she said 'Oh! you've got an eVisa'.

I explained what I wanted to do and asked if I could hold it in reserve for a subsequent entry, she conferred with the lady on the next desk and they decided it could be done if she wrote visa not used in my passport and I signed against it.

I did ask her if she could clarify the rules on how many visa exemptions are allowed in a period and she said it depends on travel history. So there we go. She also said something about it's like transit, god knows what she meant by that and I didn't bother asking.

She didn't ask to see any documents, onward flight etc, all very easy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Markberry said:

Where abouts is the second area mate? this is good to know??

There's a post about it somewhere with a map, sorry, I don't have the link.

For me, I got off the plane and walked until I saw a sign to turn left for immigration, but there was also a sign pointing straight ahead which I followed until I saw another sign to turn left.

Worked on that occasion, don't know if it always would, or if it's different coming from another direction.

6 hours ago, Markberry said:

Where abouts is the second area mate? this is good to know??

Keep walking past the fast track area and you will see the second area closer to the Domestic flight area.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

Keep walking past the fast track area and you will see the second area closer to the Domestic flight area.

that depends on what side you're coming from. :) 

i've posted a map and description in the thread that covers current queue times at immigration. @Markberry

fwiw: when i've arrived on sunday, the "first" immigration area (on the E/F/G gate side) was restricted to only thai passports and they sent everyone else down towards the second immigration area. 
wait time was <5 minutes though, so all good.

• Like 3

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.